Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard on One Percent Better

39 minutes ago, CR91 said:

LOL. This is one of the guys I mentioned that I might have taken at 54. 

Really wish they would have traded up a couple spots in the 2nd to get one of two guys.

Love Dayo, but he's like a present you get this year, but can't open till next year.

Really hope Fisher recovers fast and works out. I'm expecting the average though.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

LOL. This is one of the guys I mentioned that I might have taken at 54. 

Really wish they would have traded up a couple spots in the 2nd to get one of two guys.

Love Dayo, but he's like a present you get this year, but can't open till next year.

Really hope Fisher recovers fast and works out. I'm expecting the average though.

Well they both tore their Achilles late January. No reason they both can't be back at the same time.

18 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well they both tore their Achilles late January. No reason they both can't be back at the same time.

Other factors...

30 year old vs 21 (healing ability)

Skilled vet vs rook (learning curve)

And position demands (performance/athletic demands)

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Other factors...

30 year old vs 21 (healing ability)

Skilled vet vs rook (learning curve)

And position demands (performance/athletic demands)

Not saying Dayo will start right away, but we can ease him into the rotation.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Not saying Dayo will start right away, but we can ease him into the rotation.

IMO, Dayo will likely heal faster, but has a steeper learning curve, at a position with more athletic demands. 

I'll be happy if he's in the rotation by December. Not expecting much till next year.

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

They are probably going to be much more cautious with Dayo. 

Yup. They drafted him knowing it would take time. DEs typically take a year anyway, and it's not like we need him start early. Don't get me wrong, would be nice to have him come in ready, but IMO he's a long game play.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. They drafted him knowing it would take time. DEs typically take a year anyway, and it's not like we need him start early. Don't get me wrong, would be nice to have him come in ready, but IMO he's a long game play.

He already said in his presser he will work hard to get back as soon as possible but if the team thinks it will be best to not play the entire year that was ok with him too.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IMO, Dayo will likely heal faster, but has a steeper learning curve, at a position with more athletic demands. 

I'll be happy if he's in the rotation by December. Not expecting much till next year.

More athletic demands? Can you clarify this please. 

5 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

This is bias. 

So you don't think edges require a higher level of speed, agility, and burst?

Perhaps you should take a look at the vast majority of RAS profiles of Edges vs OL.

Not saying OLs aren't athletic. They just have a different trait profile, and Edge requires more of certain things than OL.

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

So you don't think edges require a higher level of speed, agility, and burst?

Perhaps you should take a look at the vast majority of RAS profiles of Edges vs OL.

Not saying OLs aren't athletic. They just have a different trait profile, and Edge requires more of certain things than OL.

I think you are making a mistake between the distinction.

Edge have their particular "athletic traits" that they need to score well in.

OL have their particular "athletic traits" that they need to score well in. 

What you are doing, is saying that the athletic traits of edge are more valuable. And that is bias. 

While it may be a generally accepted rule, that Edge is more important than OT, it is pure opinion. Take a look at the last super bowl. 

A great tackle generally cancels out a great Edge. (Or limits their production to something winnable)

Imagine Bac from the packers and Mack. If they went one on one, they would generally result in a stale mate. Actually, if you look at it based on pure reps, the tackles generally win most snaps. 

Not that you are wrong, I just think you are presenting it as factual, when it is bias. 

Also, the reason the conversation transitions to value, is because you are basing the "athletic rating" on the DE position. Of course if you take a LT and put him at DE he would score poorly. The same applies in the opposite. You cannot compare their "athletic ability" when the results have different indications of fit. (Roles are entirely different) 

5 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

What you are doing, is saying that the athletic traits of edge are more valuable. And that is bias. 

While it may be a generally accepted rule, that Edge is more important than OT, it is pure opinion. Take a look at the last super bowl. 

A great tackle generally cancels out a great Edge. (Or limits their production to something winnable)

Imagine Bac from the packers and Mack. If they went one on one, they would generally result in a stale mate. Actually, if you look at it based on pure reps, the tackles generally win most snaps. 

Not that you are wrong, I just think you are presenting it as factual, when it is bias. 

Also, the reason the conversation transitions to value, is because you are basing the "athletic rating" on the DE position. Of course if you take a LT and put him at DE he would score poorly. The same applies in the opposite. You cannot compare their "athletic ability" when the results have different indications of fit. (Roles are entirely different) 

You're really trying to make this something it isn't, and I won't let you put words in my mouth or take this off topic.

Facts are

• In terms of pure trait measurements (you can use RAS for this), the profile of an Edge is clearly tilted toward speed, burst, and agility when compared to OL or OTs. I don't think this fact is really debatable.
  • Given the above is true, an equal leg injury to both an OL and OT, is logically more of an impact to the position that relies most on those traits listed above.

It's not bias. Simple logical opinion based on some pretty clear RAS indicators. If my usage of term "athletic" is what triggered you, you can simply remove athletic and replace it with faster/quicker/more-explosive.

2 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think some wires got crossed somewhere because that was in no way what he was talking about. He was saying that the probability that a OT returns to form from a torn achilles is likely faster than a DE, because of the specific athletic traits utilized by each. There's nothing in there that implies one being more valuable than the other.

9 minutes ago, Shive said:

I think some wires got crossed somewhere because that was in no way what he was talking about. He was saying that the probability that a OT returns to form from a torn achilles is likely faster than a DE, because of the specific athletic traits utilized by each. There's nothing in there that implies one being more valuable than the other.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

You're really trying to make this something it isn't, and I won't let you put words in my mouth or take this off topic.

Facts are

• In terms of pure trait measurements (you can use RAS for this), the profile of an Edge is clearly tilted toward speed, burst, and agility when compared to OL or OTs. I don't think this fact is really debatable.
  • Given the above is true, an equal leg injury to both an OL and OT, is logically more of an impact to the position that relies most on those traits listed above.

It's not bias. Simple logical opinion based on some pretty clear RAS indicators. If my usage of term "athletic" is what triggered you, you can simply remove athletic and replace it with faster/quicker/more-explosive.

Oh okay, I totally misunderstood you. 

Also, just because someone contests a point does not mean it is off topic. Forums thrive from appropriate contention. Please embrace it. 

34 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Oh okay, I totally misunderstood you. 

Also, just because someone contests a point does not mean it is off topic. Forums thrive from appropriate contention. Please embrace it. 

Some folks have a tendency to meander way away from the post they are replying too, or want to impose a narrative or different meaning..

I have zero problem with contention or debate.

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Some folks have a tendency to meander way away from the post they are replying too, or want to impose a narrative or different meaning..

I have zero problem with contention or debate.

Yeah I thought you were saying that DE had more athletic traits. Which is really subjective as each position requires a focus on one trait rather than another.

The RAS clearly does favor the DE in terms of which athletic trait is being measured. 

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think Dayo is going to be a star great pick just wait until he's completely healed whenever that is. 

9 hours ago, Shive said:

On the surface, it sounds somewhat logical, but is it really born out statistically?  Do O-linemen of the same age return quicker from an achilles than a DE?  

1 minute ago, #12. said:

On the surface, it sounds somewhat logical, but is it really born out statistically?  Do O-linemen of the same age return quicker from an achilles than a DE?  

It's not necessarily the return from the injury itself, just the return to pre-injury form.

14 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I could listen to Ballard talk football all day. I'd love to spend a Sunday afternoon at a game with him and just talk shop for hours. 

Me also. He gets down to the guts of a subject. No gloss, no varnish.
 The interview went by in a flash. When his interviews are over he gains another level of trust and faith in his endeavors as a human being and a football guy.

12 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The thing is we're(colt fans) not playing against Ballard,  the other 31 GM's are.....and they look like they are playing 3D Chess. haha

My uncle created a 3D three tier circular chess board when I was kid.  One player started on the top, another on the bottom.  He let me start first so I took my rook and moved it around the board directly above his king and said "check."  He said I couldn't do that and I asked why - it was a legal move for a rook.  We never played again.

Just sayin - 3D chess ain't all that.

10 minutes ago, gspdx said:

My uncle created a 3D three tier circular chess board when I was kid.  One player started on the top, another on the bottom.  He let me start first so I took my rook and moved it around the board directly above his king and said "check."  He said I couldn't do that and I asked why - it was a legal move for a rook.  We never played again.

Just sayin - 3D chess ain't all that.

Spock is good at it and knows all the legal moves. haha

14 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The thing is we're(colt fans) not playing against Ballard,  the other 31 GM's are.....and they look like they are playing 3D Chess. haha

Interesting. I would like to see how many of the draft picks the other 32 GM's, still play in the NFL since Ballard became the Colts GM. Ballard's percentage is ridiculously good. 

2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Interesting. I would like to see how many of the draft picks the other 32 GM's, still play in the NFL since Ballard became the Colts GM. Ballard's percentage is ridiculously good. 

I wish you were touting his W-L record, division titles, playoff wins instead.

Archived