Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts & Chargers Favored to Get Julio Jones If Traded (merge)

4 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

I love him going to TN.  A 32 yr old Jerry Rice wouldn't replace what they lost at WR and TE, let alone a banged up Jones, and them bringing him in will cost picks, as well as make them cut more guys to fit him now, and then again as well as not sign more players in the future.  Jones isn't going to elevate Tannehill or Henry any higher than they are now, and they'll still have fewer receiving threats than they did last year, so let him go to TN

I guess you rate him a lot lower than I do right now, which is understandable. I think you're understating though. He's still 6'4 with top tier routes and speed. Jones being any better than Corey Davis makes this offense more of a threat than it was last year. We do not want a team in division with Derrick Henry to now have two #1 wideouts... even if just for a few seasons. He definitely elevates them imo.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think there is a better chance of getting Ertz than Julio

TEs take a while to develop to the pro game.

Granson willl be phased in over the next 2-3 years as he learns to actually block

Our current TE is lacking, especially to do the 2 TE sets that our head coach loves to employ

Ertz has a huge comfort level with Wentz as well

Who know whats going to happen.....  

Granson plays a particular role that we do not otherwise have covered.
I expect him to be on the field ready to go in that role from game 1.

Right now i would expect Ballard is keeping his powder dry for...
 1) a really good opp at a LB
 2) and a CB
   These adds would get us as good as we can hope for. Go Colts!

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Granson plays a particular role that we do not otherwise have covered.
I expect him to be on the field ready to go in that role from game 1.

Right now i would expect Ballard is keeping his powder dry for...
 1) a really good opp at a LB
 2) and a CB
   These adds would get us as good as we can hope for. Go Colts!

I don't think we need a really good opp at LB or CB this year.  Maybe next year but not this year.  And I think Ballard could fill both in FA if need be without breaking the bank.  What he should be doing is finalizing the trade for Julio right now.  I read today where they are looking for players as part of the trade.  That should be no problem for Ballard.  We shall see.   

• Haha 1

FWIW Peter Prisco just released his annual list of Top 100 NFL players heading into the new season.  Q is 26, Julio is 28, Buckner is 49 and Leonard is 53.  28 for Julio.  Not bad for a 32 year old injured receiver who who many think has nothing left and is past his prime.  Not bad at all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think there is a better chance of getting Ertz than Julio

TEs take a while to develop to the pro game.

Granson willl be phased in over the next 2-3 years as he learns to actually block

Our current TE is lacking, especially to do the 2 TE sets that our head coach loves to employ

Ertz has a huge comfort level with Wentz as well

Who know whats going to happen.....  

I think the Bills will be making a move for Ertz. I see they just restructured Digg's contract to clear cap space.

I'm not sure why everyone on here is worried about the monetary aspect of Jones's contract. The way I see it, if the Colts trade for Jones, that contract will be paid for day one with all the Julio Merch @richard pallo plans on buying..... :lol:

I might have to get me a Julio mug as well :thmup: 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, krunk said:

I saw them talking about Seattle picking up Julio. Can you imagine Julio and DK Metcalf on the same squad. That would be crazy!

It definitely would be crazy.  Better them than Tennessee though if we don’t do a deal. 

37 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It definitely would be crazy.  Better them than Tennessee though if we don’t do a deal. 

Seattle is our first game though

On 5/31/2021 at 8:47 AM, Indeee said:

With all respect to you MC, your opinion is valid. You are not a fan of bringing Jones here and that's ok. What I would like to state here though is that there are teams who "FIND A WAY" all the time to make the numbers, scenarios work, etc.. Think about this rationally for one moment. This is Julio Jones. Jones averages 6.3 catches per game for his career. Now you might not think that's a lot, however in comparison to Hilton, TY has a career catch per game of 3 catches... what's shocking though is the target share... Hilton, arguably our best receiver since Reggie has a 5.5 target per game average in his career and in comparison to Jones? Jones has a 13 per game target share over his career. I get that Atlanta and the Colts offensive strategy over that span might be different and there might be other factors to as why Jones numbers and targets are inflated, however you cannot deny that Jones is not just an ordinary player. Julio is ELITE....... You go harder, pay more for elite. 

So in keeping in line with any team having to cut/release players to make room for ELITE, you do it any day of the week all week long

I'll beat my dead horse again.....  Irsay doesnt have the liquid cash flow other owners do to "massage" the cap with moving bonus money around.  Bonuses get spread over years of cap hit, but have to be paid on the due date in full....  It's the biggest reason that will never be mentioned or asked by the media about why Indy picks and chooses it's contracts so carefully, avoids competing for flashy FA's, prioritizes picks and finesses controlled cap situations.  He's got no other income than the team.....  Most other owners can cough up tens of millions in liquid assets to pull off cap magic tricks if they feel like it, Irsays not able to do that to the same extent, year in year out, willy nilly..... It'll get denounced by folks here, but it's never been debunked, and like I said, the question won't ever even get asked by any local media, and National doesn't care enough to have a reason to ask,,,,,,

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 07dleigh said:

I guess you rate him a lot lower than I do right now, which is understandable. I think you're understating though. He's still 6'4 with top tier routes and speed. Jones being any better than Corey Davis makes this offense more of a threat than it was last year. We do not want a team in division with Derrick Henry to now have two #1 wideouts... even if just for a few seasons. He definitely elevates them imo.

Agree to disagree.  Jones is great.  could fall off the cliff any day now.  It's happened to more talented WR at his age many, many, many, many times.  He;s not going to be putting the numbers up past this next year, absolute most, 2.......

• Like 1

For what it’s worth....

Saw a story this morning that said the buzz in the NFL is that whichever team acquired Jones may have to re-do and/or extend Jones’s deal. 

This is NOT confirmed.  Just the view of Jones and his agent. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth....

Saw a story this morning that said the buzz in the NFL is that whichever team acquired Jones may have to re-do and/or extend Jones’s deal. 

This is NOT confirmed.  Just the view of Jones and his agent. 

I saw the same and read a couple of reports regarding it.  Whomever trades for him most likely will have to re-do his contract.

Here is one:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/potential-new-contract-hurting-julio-jones-trade-talks/ar-AAKz1wW

Kimberly Martin of ESPN is reporting this morning that the Ravens and Rams have dropped their pursuit of Julio.  She stated that the consensus among NFL executives now is that the Titans will be his landing spot.  Hopefully this does not happen.  Our chances to win the division and get at least one playoff game diminishes greatly if it does.  Conversely if we get him our chances increase dramatically and we would no doubt become the favorites to win the division.  Hopefully we won't have to wait much longer to find out where he ends up.  I'm sure they would like to start signing their draft picks.  

10 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

I'll beat my dead horse again.....  Irsay doesnt have the liquid cash flow other owners do to "massage" the cap with moving bonus money around.  Bonuses get spread over years of cap hit, but have to be paid on the due date in full....  It's the biggest reason that will never be mentioned or asked by the media about why Indy picks and chooses it's contracts so carefully, avoids competing for flashy FA's, prioritizes picks and finesses controlled cap situations.  He's got no other income than the team.....  Most other owners can cough up tens of millions in liquid assets to pull off cap magic tricks if they feel like it, Irsays not able to do that to the same extent, year in year out, willy nilly..... It'll get denounced by folks here, but it's never been debunked, and like I said, the question won't ever even get asked by any local media, and National doesn't care enough to have a reason to ask,,,,,,

Sorry I can't believe this one. All of the owners have the same budget to work with.  They can disburse and spend it how they choose.  All chickens come home to roost eventually.  These owners didn't all become wealthy by spending away.  They are all frivolous.  We are fortunate to have an owner and management that does a great job of managing cash flow and contracts that doesn't put an undue burden on the team.  If need be Irsay would have no problem in coming up with the cash if they thought it was necessary.  He did it for Buckner no problem.  It's not required every year because we are good at roster management.  Local media doesn't ask because they know it's not a problem.  I think this is another conspiracy theory with no legs to stand on.  JMO. 

On 6/2/2021 at 11:13 AM, richard pallo said:

Sorry I can't believe this one. All of the owners have the same budget to work with.  They can disburse and spend it how they choose.  All chickens come home to roost eventually.  These owners didn't all become wealthy by spending away.  They are all frivolous.  We are fortunate to have an owner and management that does a great job of managing cash flow and contracts that doesn't put an undue burden on the team.  If need be Irsay would have no problem in coming up with the cash if they thought it was necessary.  He did it for Buckner no problem.  It's not required every year because we are good at roster management.  Local media doesn't ask because they know it's not a problem.  I think this is another conspiracy theory with no legs to stand on.  JMO. 

I'm saying he can't cough up the bonus money the day a contract is signed like for Buckner several times year after year..... He never has, and no, owners don't all play with the same budget, that's absurd.  Guys like Jerrah and Kraft can find 25 mil for a signing bonus on their spare jacket pocket, Irsay can't, won't, and never has had that kind of liquid asset base.

Irsay is a great owner, but he's getting rdy to hand out several huge bonuses to resign key players, thus, I can pretty much guarantee they won't be handing out more big bonuses to FA or newly traded players wanting new contracts....

20 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I'm saying he can't cough up the bonus money the day a contract is signed like for Buckner several times year after year..... He never has, and no, owners don't all play with the same budget, that's absurd.  Guys like Jerrah and Kraft can find 25 mil for a signing bonus on their spare jacket pocket, Irsay can't, won't, and never has had that kind of liquid asset base.

Irsay is a great owner, but he's getting rdy to hand out several huge bonuses to resign key players, thus, I can pretty much guarantee they won't be handing out more big bonuses to FA or newly traded players wanting new contracts....

I still don’t believe that.  That’s why they have a cap so all of the owners are playing with the same amount of money each year.  Otherwise the super wealthy owner would be able to do what you are suggesting and have a huge advantage but the cap and it’s rules prevent that from happening.  All of the different kinds of bonuses have to be accounted for in the teams cap management.  What you are suggesting is just a conspiracy theory that can not be proven and has no basis in fact.  The Colts have the where with all to compete for players just like any of the teams.  What restricts them and all of the teams is their current and future cap situation and how they manage that with there roster construction.  Not cash on hand.

• Like 1

According to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN Julio wants to play for a QB with a big arm who can deliver the deep ball.  That doesn't sound like Tannehill but it does sound like Carson.  I have to say this is taking longer than I expected.  Looks like a standoff where teams have made their offers and are standing firm.  

48 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That doesn't sound like Tannehill but it does sound like Carson.  I have to say this is taking longer than I expected.  Looks like a standoff where teams have made their offers and are standing firm.  

Yeah, reminds me of trading for Wentz..... if another team (besides bears) decided they wanted him they could have come along and swooped him away from us. Lol.

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yeah, reminds me of trading for Wentz..... if another team (besides bears) decided they wanted him they could have come along and swooped him away from us. Lol.

Very true.  I just read on Pro Football Rumors that it appears the Seahawks are pulling back and they were just doing their due diligence.  If you believe these reports the number of suitors has dropped.  Maybe down to the 49’ers and Titans now.  Who knows maybe Ballard can do some swooping in at the last minute.  Lol.

• Like 1

The Atlanta Falcons are expected to trade wide receiver Julio Jones to the Tennessee Titans, barring any setbacks, in the next 24 to 48 hours, according to sources.

The two sides still are finalizing compensation, but as one source said, "I feel very good about this."

Sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the Falcons and Titans are discussing whether the package for Jones will be a second- and a fifth-round pick, or a second-round pick with a swap of other picks.

If there are no snags, the trade would be processed as early as Monday.

Titans players Derrick Henry and A.J. Brown have expressed on social media their interest in having Jones as a teammate. Late last month, Brown posted a TikTok video to Jones explaining why the Titans would be the perfect fit for the star receiver.

I saw the report also.  That should make the Titans the clear favorite in the South.  We are going to have our hands full with him and A J Brown not to mention Henry twice a year.   I guess we have to keep our fingers crossed Campbell can play a full season and be a major contributor.  It certainly looks like Ballard and Reich made a choice and are awaiting the release of another familiar weapon Ertz.  

Julio is certainly very good but that only ever got the Falcons to 1 Super Bowl. It takes more than 1 guy. Plus the injury factor as well that can happen during a season.  I dont think that aquisition makes them automatically better than us. Weve got plenty of weapons in my opinion.

• Shive locked this topic