Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts & Chargers Favored to Get Julio Jones If Traded (merge)

The ONLY way the Titans do this, they have to make room for the cap

Who gets cut? Who doesn't get a contract? Its not just the cost of the 2nd rounder.

MUCH More often than not, maybe even 80% of the time, a 32 year old WR, is losing steam fast.

I hope everyone remembers Andrea Johnson, though he was a bit older than Julio,

Pro bowler, brought in to compete with the Texans

He was a huge disappointment for the Colts

This step could be very painful for the Titans. (If they do it)

I really hope the Colts stay out of this one

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

The ONLY way the Titans do this, they have to make room for the cap

Who gets cut? Who doesn't get a contract? Its not just the cost of the 2nd rounder.

MUCH More often than not, maybe even 80% of the time, a 32 year old WR, is losing steam fast.

I hope everyone remembers Andrea Johnson, though he was a bit older than Julio,

Pro bowler, brought in to compete with the Texans

He was a huge disappointment for the Colts

This step could be very painful for the Titans. (If they do it)

I really hope the Colts stay out of this one

With all respect to you MC, your opinion is valid. You are not a fan of bringing Jones here and that's ok. What I would like to state here though is that there are teams who "FIND A WAY" all the time to make the numbers, scenarios work, etc.. Think about this rationally for one moment. This is Julio Jones. Jones averages 6.3 catches per game for his career. Now you might not think that's a lot, however in comparison to Hilton, TY has a career catch per game of 3 catches... what's shocking though is the target share... Hilton, arguably our best receiver since Reggie has a 5.5 target per game average in his career and in comparison to Jones? Jones has a 13 per game target share over his career. I get that Atlanta and the Colts offensive strategy over that span might be different and there might be other factors to as why Jones numbers and targets are inflated, however you cannot deny that Jones is not just an ordinary player. Julio is ELITE....... You go harder, pay more for elite. 

So in keeping in line with any team having to cut/release players to make room for ELITE, you do it any day of the week all week long

37 minutes ago, Indeee said:

With all respect to you MC, your opinion is valid. You are not a fan of bringing Jones here and that's ok. What I would like to state here though is that there are teams who "FIND A WAY" all the time to make the numbers, scenarios work, etc.. Think about this rationally for one moment. This is Julio Jones. Jones averages 6.3 catches per game for his career. Now you might not think that's a lot, however in comparison to Hilton, TY has a career catch per game of 3 catches... what's shocking though is the target share... Hilton, arguably our best receiver since Reggie has a 5.5 target per game average in his career and in comparison to Jones? Jones has a 13 per game target share over his career. I get that Atlanta and the Colts offensive strategy over that span might be different and there might be other factors to as why Jones numbers and targets are inflated, however you cannot deny that Jones is not just an ordinary player. Julio is ELITE....... You go harder, pay more for elite. 

So in keeping in line with any team having to cut/release players to make room for ELITE, you do it any day of the week all week long

He's 32 and on the downside of his career. It's not happening with the Colts. The Colts went even mentioned. He will be a 49er or Seahawk....or maybe a Patriot. 

1 minute ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

He's 32 and on the downside of his career. It's not happening with the Colts. The Colts went even mentioned. He will be a 49er or Seahawk....or maybe a Patriot. 

That could very well be true. I think the notion here for some is that the Colts have needed a true #1 for awhile now so for some of us the idea of Jones fills that void we believe needs filling. We all are hoping that the players we have as a collective whole will suffice so moves like this wouldn't even need to be thought about, too. For me though, I personally would reach out to see what it would take to inquire Beckham before I entertained Jones as Odell is younger and his career in Cleveland has devalued to this point. Whether due to him personally or injuries. Nevertheless that is who I would inquire about should the Colts feel need to upgrade the receiver room. Doubt that happens either

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

That could very well be true. I think the notion here for some is that the Colts have needed a true #1 for awhile now so for some of us the idea of Jones fills that void we believe needs filling. We all are hoping that the players we have as a collective whole will suffice so moves like this wouldn't even need to be thought about, too. For me though, I personally would reach out to see what it would take to inquire Beckham before I entertained Jones as Odell is younger and his career in Cleveland has devalued to this point. Whether due to him personally or injuries. Nevertheless that is who I would inquire about should the Colts feel need to upgrade the receiver room. Doubt that happens either

Please no to Beckham. He's a self absorbed drama queen and will have Baker in tears after 2 games.

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Well said.  Your last few posts made perfect sense to me and to many others I'm sure.  Different opinions out there that's okay.  But one thing is certain and that is Julio is "Elite" and he would be a huge upgrade and a big time WR1 that we have needed for quite awhile now.  Even at age 32.  I think we should go hard for him.  This is the our opportunity.  If we don't or lose out in the attempt I just hope he doesn't go to the Titans.  That would be the worse possible outcome for us IMO.  This will most likely be over by the end of the week.  For me and for many others I'm still hoping get him and a real WR1 target for Wentz.  

3 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

You do know the teams you mentioned are considered contenders who apparently know he is a player who could help them get to if not help them win a SB. You can add the Titans as well.  It looks like they are not worried about his age or being on the downside of his career.  Just saying.

6 hours ago, Indeee said:

Florio reported yesterday that Tennessee had emerged as the front runner and that word was Julio for a second was compensation. Then Rotoworld pulled the story from Florio and leaked the blurb on their site. That is why @richard pallo mentions Tennessee as I posted the roto blurb. Seattle only came into focus about 2 hours after the Tennessee blurb was posted. Many in the media have stated that IF there were an actual 1st round pick on the table for Jones as had been speculated, then that trade would've already been made as unless Atlanta felt it would get a better potential 1st round pick from a team who might eventually have a higher position in the upcoming draft. The 1st though here would've been the best offer Atlanta could get. This is why many feel the 1st round pick notion is bunk, just trying to entice the interested teams to up the ante with 1st round picks but a second will be the best that will transpire. Either way, time will tell once all this happens and if it does turn out to be a second for Julio, many of us will be disappointed as a second round pick is fine but there is no guarantee that player selected in that spot will even pan out vs using that commodity on a proven 1st ballot HOF'er that could give us an edge to win a title right now. 

No matter what the trade details are, a trade was ALWAYS going to happen AFTER June 1 so the dead cap hit to Atlanta would be lower. 

As to everything else....   no need to re-hash. We can agree to disagree.    Thanks. 

5 hours ago, Indeee said:

Thanks for the reply

We would absolutely agree that Jones has been an amazing talent

He has been one of the best ever...... absolutely Elite!

The bigger question, is he ELITE today? Will he be elite next year?

I dont know that...... I just dont.  (My crystal ball cracked - :) )

There IS a reason that Atlanta isnt keeping him. 

If THEY think he is still elite, they probably would figure some cap heroics to try to keep the guy.  

Father time clobbers everyone.  With Receivers it seems to show itself at 32 or earlier.

If he is simply good, $15M is WAY to much to give up for him

What if he craters like Johnson at the end of his career?

It will be interesting to see what happens........  If the Titans go after him, they will have to cut some players....

Maybe we can pick some up on the cheap

52 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Thanks for the reply

If THEY think he is still elite, they probably would figure some cap heroics to try to keep the guy.  

Father time clobbers everyone.  With Receivers it seems to show itself at 32 or earlier.

It will be interesting to see what happens........  If the Titans go after him, they will have to cut some players....

Titans can get him by restructuring Tannehill contract and reports are saying he will if it means to get Julio

On 5/28/2021 at 3:12 PM, cdgacoltsfan said:

We don't need an expensive, past his prime, injury prone ,on  the downside if his career receiver.

He's nowhere near past his prime or injury prone

Just blatant lies and misinformation

15 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Thanks for the reply

Where as I do not disagree with you this also has another side to it. Julio has been very open about being done with Atlanta. That is one huge reason for the sudden trade push. 

1 hour ago, tvturner said:

Saying Julio Jones is injury prone and past his prime is completely a lie

OK - how about we say this.  It seems very expensive to give up a high draft pick and big money for a receiver who has hit that age where the production starts to fall off.  

I don't care whether he is injury prone, but he probably is past his prime.  We don't know that for sure but the receiver that is in his prime at 32 is very special case.

If Julio was 28 I would have a different feeling about this.  And the price would be even higher.  I just can't see trading a high draft pick and big money to rent a guy for a couple of years.

19 minutes ago, gspdx said:

OK - how about we say this.  It seems very expensive to give up a high draft pick and big money for a receiver who has hit that age where the production starts to fall off.  

I don't care whether he is injury prone, but he probably is past his prime.  We don't know that for sure but the receiver that is in his prime at 32 is very special case.

If Julio was 28 I would have a different feeling about this.  And the price would be even higher.  I just can't see trading a high draft pick and big money to rent a guy for a couple of years.

Really?  I would trade a high pick and pay him for a couple of years if he helped us win a SB.  We are doing it with Wentz.  He's not old but we traded high picks in hopes that he can bounce back and win a SB.  Same concept.  IMO even at age 32 Julio is better than any WR currently on our roster.  We should be trading for Julio.  We will find out soon though.  I wouldn't be surprised if we know where he ends up by the end of the day.  

36 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Really?  I would trade a high pick and pay him for a couple of years if he helped us win a SB.  We are doing it with Wentz.  He's not old but we traded high picks in hopes that he can bounce back and win a SB.  Same concept.  IMO even at age 32 Julio is better than any WR currently on our roster.  We should be trading for Julio.  We will find out soon though.  I wouldn't be surprised if we know where he ends up by the end of the day.  

Even though I'm truly on the same page as you Richard, I do get where some here in the forum have reservations. @MikeCurtis as an example, brought up Andre Johnson when he came here and unfortunately that turned out to be a terrible move. At the time I remember that I was very intrigued by AJ but it never panned out sadly. NOW in this moment, It would be a risk/chance in this scenario if the Colts entertained bringing in Jones based on age, health, etc.

What most of us have to weigh when it comes to our own personal opinions is that DO WE BELIEVE the Colts can win the entire thing right now? If the answer is yes but comes along with a caveat of circumstances, then the answer that should've been given was No, or a maybe at best. All teams no matter who plays for them have a chance to win it all if circumstances/caveats fall the right way. Few teams though have talent to equal talent which levels the playing field making the undisclosed circumstances that have to fall a certain way less important. That is the key here. Would Jones be an "X" factor talent that would either produce outright or command attention so others could produce more or both. To me when it comes to Jones and where we are as a team RIGHT NOW, the answer would be both when speaking of Julio and that's why at least to ME, the risk in this moment is a chance the Colts should take.

On 5/27/2021 at 7:55 AM, 07dleigh said:

My gut is telling me he ends up in Tennessee and I hateeee it :facepalm:. Frankly, if I'm him, that's where I'd want to go.

I love him going to TN.  A 32 yr old Jerry Rice wouldn't replace what they lost at WR and TE, let alone a banged up Jones, and them bringing him in will cost picks, as well as make them cut more guys to fit him now, and then again as well as not sign more players in the future.  Jones isn't going to elevate Tannehill or Henry any higher than they are now, and they'll still have fewer receiving threats than they did last year, so let him go to TN

51 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Wentz is entirely apples to oranges, the premium for a qb dictates such.... Case in point, any potential starting QB in the league will command a higher price in picks and $ than Jones.... By default.  If you want to make a fair market rate comparison across positions, Wentz was less expensive to obtain than a 32 yr old Jones when you account for positional inflation.... 

4 hours ago, tvturner said:

It’s an opinion.   None of us knows if it is true or not.   And we won’t know for several years.  

Im not sayin the poster is right.  But he might be.   Time will tell us. 

5 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

It's amazing how the same people that say Jones is in his prime at 32 but TY Hilton is a shell if himself at 31. Too funny.

Well TY has 1200 yards in the last 2 seasons combined.

Julio has almost 1400 yards in 2019 

I think the only addition on the offense that MIGHT still happen is Ertz....

If he is cut, I think he is 50/50 to coming to the Colts

I think he will be cut as his cap hit is pretty onerous  +12M for this year, if he stays

If he gets cut (or traded) they are only on the hook for approx 4M

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/zach-ertz-future-why-eagles-may-be-forced-cut-pro-bowl-tight-end

Its clear the Eagles are asking for too much, and the team didnt budge (pre June 1)

I think you may see a cut in the next few weeks

So.... IMHO

A 30 year old TE, might be the addition that comes, vs a 32 year old WR that is very expensive, maybe double the price.

We will see soon enough on either addition

I am not going to be unhappy if we went with Julio.....  I just dont see it

4 hours ago, tvturner said:

I would believe he is certainly "past his prime'.
If so, you would be lieing about the completeness of the statement.
 And honesty says for me to be at least concerned about his ability to play in 14-15 games just because of his many years in the league. A Risk factor.
It doesn't matter as the issue became dead when Irsay couldn't let go of TY.

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think the only addition on the offense that MIGHT still happen is Ertz....

If he is cut, I think he is 50/50 to coming to the Colts

I think he will be cut as his cap hit is pretty onerous  +12M for this year, if he stays

If he gets cut (or traded) they are only on the hook for approx 4M

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/zach-ertz-future-why-eagles-may-be-forced-cut-pro-bowl-tight-end

Its clear the Eagles are asking for too much, and the team didnt budge (pre June 1)

I think you may see a cut in the next few weeks

So.... IMHO

A 30 year old TE, might be the addition that comes, vs a 32 year old that is very expensive

We will see soon enough on either addition

Barring injury, we don't need Ertz.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Not expensive

8 million for the colts is expensive.  TY is my favourite colt but don't know how much we can get out of him(production/availability), but I would've betted if I was GM for about 7 million more Julio's production and availability and impact would have been more.

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

8 million for the colts is expensive.  TY is my favourite colt but don't know how much we can get out of him(production/availability), but I would've betted if I was GM for about 7 million more Julio's production and availability and impact would have been more.

For 20 million dollars?  I'm sure it would certainly have been expected to be more

24 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

The money and the draft pick.  It's a big deal.  to rent a guy for a couple of years if things go well.  TY certainly won't have the impact of a "Julio" type guy, but that deal was much cheaper in terms of impact to the team.

I am not saying I wouldn't like to get a stud WR.  I think most of this comes down to if you believe this team is on the verge of a big SB run and if so would Julio be a big difference maker.  Not sure if I answer either of those questions yes yet.

I think what's getting lost here in all the compensation/concern issues with Julio is this:

IF, and I'm stating IF because WE DON'T KNOW, Jones did come here for the next two years and DID have enough left in his tank to still not only produce with passes caught on the field but still COMMANDED Defenses to either Double him or shadow him then he is worth his weight in cost to acquire him and the reason should be obvious, but in case it's not....

To those who believe Pittman can become an excellent receiver, he would have a much easier time of achieving that with less pressure from defenders. Less pressure equals more opportunities. More opportunities equal more catches. more catches equal more confidence, and more confidence equals achieving what ALL on here hopes he does.

This is just one example of how a player like Jones impacts or could impact a team other than just production/stat numbers.

Again, this is not Julio of 5 years ago, however Julio still will scare defenses until he doesn't and that is what you are also paying for as this team does not have one player who scares a defense at current standing.

If no players scare defenses then you have to rely on every player executing near perfection each play, you rely on ALL play calls working 85% more of the time against the defense it faces.

I bring this up as some on here have had issues with Reich's play calling at times or more than that. Not saying it's bad, not saying it's good. I'm just saying. Having players Like Julio also makes it easier in other ways when play calling stalls a bit or becomes compromised.

There is a lot more potentially here than just the issues/non issues on the surface

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Prove it

- Put up more yards than any Colts receiver last year in 7 less games

- He's missed 10 games since 2014 and 7 of those were last year

- Still setting career highs

- TY Hilton and Zach Pascal barely have more yards combined than he does in the last 3 years

- 86.3 grade on PFF, which is higher than everyone on the team 

- He's still a top 3 WR in the league

- Pulled more double teams than everyone on the Colts

And on and on

The only concern anyone should have with him is the price tag

He's 100% a Ballard move and everyone complains about not having an elite threat on offense and when one becomes available he's "washed up and injury prone" 

I'm taking one of the best receivers of the last decade over two actually injury prone wide receivers and a rookie tight end

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Barring injury, we don't need Ertz.

I think there is a better chance of getting Ertz than Julio

TEs take a while to develop to the pro game.

Granson willl be phased in over the next 2-3 years as he learns to actually block

Our current TE is lacking, especially to do the 2 TE sets that our head coach loves to employ

Ertz has a huge comfort level with Wentz as well

Who know whats going to happen.....  

19 minutes ago, tvturner said:

He's 100% a Ballard move and everyone complains about not having an elite threat on offense and when one becomes available he's "washed up and injury prone" 

I'm taking one of the best receivers of the last decade over two actually injury prone wide receivers and a rookie tight end

We will soon see how it works out

Archived