Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts & Chargers Favored to Get Julio Jones If Traded (merge)

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

This article reinforces what I posted yesterday.  The last place we want Julio to land is the Titans.  And they are being mentioned a lot as a landing spot even with their terrible cap space.  Whoever lands Julio the Titans or Colts become instant favorites for the division and co favorites with the Chiefs for the AFC title.  Irsay and Ballard know that.  Here's hoping Irsay can convince Ballard to make the obvious bold move and put us in the drivers seat.  He actually shouldn't need to be convinced.  Just supported in making the move.  

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This article reinforces what I posted yesterday.  The last place we want Julio to land is the Titans.  And they are being mentioned a lot as a landing spot even with their terrible cap space.  Whoever lands Julio the Titans or Colts become instant favorites for the division and co favorites with the Chiefs for the AFC title.  Irsay and Ballard know that.  Here's hoping Irsay can convince Ballard to make the obvious bold move and put us in the drivers seat.  He actually shouldn't need to be convinced.  Just supported in making the move.  

A J Brown and Julio Jones both wear #11, something has gotta give. A J Brown will probably go back to wearing his college jersey #1?? 

However, if Julio Jones played 75% of his games the last 2 seasons, we would not even talking about the Falcons parting ways with him, IMO. There in lies the issue. Only a team like the Bills or Chiefs, that needs a second or third wheel would need Julio's services to put them over the top. I don't think the Titans and Colts are there yet.

55 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Here's hoping Irsay can convince Ballard to make the obvious bold move and put us in the drivers seat.  He actually shouldn't need to be convinced.  Just supported in making the move.  

Exactly,  especially to what I Bolded.

It's sad that its reported that Ballard responded to patty mac if he was getting/pursuing  Julio he responded with a "laughing emoji". 

Laughing at acquiring one of the Top WR's in the league for years....laughing at acquiring a piece that can take us to the next level. 

And everyone, including the writer of story above that I pasted, shrugs it off that it's not something Ballard does.

If it's his injuries he has the last couple years that raises the red flag too high, ok then, but then another playmaking WR should have been added earlier.

Anyway, it is what it is and we may be ok if TY & Paris stay on the field .....but having a Julio would having been super.

Chris Ballard has been clear since he took over the reins of the Colts in 2017.  He believes the best way to build a team is through the draft. Success follows as you grow and develop in-house talent in a way that matches the goals of the organization. Ballard’s actions have re-affirmed his belief in the draft process as opposed to other methods such as free agency or trades.

Trades: In his five seasons as a GM, Ballard has only pulled the trigger on three substantial trades. The first major trade was in response to Andrew Luck’s uncertain health status to start the 2017 season. When it became clear that Luck would be unable to play, the Colts traded disappointing first-round receiver Phillip Dorsett to the Patriots for third-string quarterback Jacoby Brissett. Brissett played four years for the Colts totaling an 11-19 record as a starter and earning just over $31 million. The Colts were incredibly loyal to Brissett despite his minimal success. Had the Colts known Luck was going to quit just before the 2019 season, they may have attempted to trade for a far more prominent quarterback in 2017. The second big trade of Ballard’s tenure came just before the 2020 NFL Draft when the Colts agreed to send the 13th overall pick to the San Francisco 49ers for defensive stud Deforest Buckner. The Colts inked Buckner to a whopping 5-year, $105 million contract. Buckner, along with Darius Leonard, seem to be the catalysts in the Colts top-10 ranked defense. The Colts appear confident that Buckner will continue to grow in this role each year. The third major trade is the most recent acquisition of Quarterback Carson Wentz. Wentz is coming off a career-worst year in which he threw 15 interceptions and was sacked a league-high 50 times. Wentz eventually lost his starting position with the Eagles to rookie Jalen Hurts. Wentz also comes with an injury history which includes a torn ACL and back surgery. The Colts are betting big that the previous relationship between Coach Reich and Wentz can be enough to overcome all the previous obstacles. One position the Colts have not traded for under Ballard is a receiver. This either suggests that Ballard does not put a high priority on receiver acquisition overall or would prefer to add receivers via free agency and the draft.

Free Agency: Much to the dismay of many Colts fans, the team has consistently failed to acquire an impactful receiver via free agency in five offseasons. The biggest-name receiver the Colts have signed in free agency is Devin Funchess. Funchess unfortunately broke his clavicle in his first game with the Colts and was unable to contribute after that. It is clear the organization does not consider it a priority to spend big money in free agency as a whole, but especially not on wide receivers.

The Draft: This leaves Ballard’s aforementioned favorite, the draft. Ballard oversaw his 5th draft with the Colts in April and along with the coaching staff has selected 45 total players during his tenure. Twenty-Five of those draft picks were spent on defensive players. Six of the remaining twenty players selected were wide receivers. The Colts selected no receivers in 2017. They spent 5th and 6th round picks on Daurice Fountain and Deon Cain in 2018. Both players are no longer with the team. In 2019, the Colts used the 59th overall pick to select Ohio State receiver Parris Campbell. Despite having high hopes for Campbell, a litany of unexpected injuries has mostly kept him off the field so far. In 2020, the Colts used the 34th overall pick to select USC receiver Michael Pittman Jr.  Pittman played 13 games in his rookie season catching 40 passes, accumulating 503 yards, and just one touchdown. The Colts believe that Pittman can continue to improve and eventually become a number one receiver. The Colts drafted Dezmon Patmon in the 6th round that same year, but he did play in 2020. In 2021, the Colts only added 7th round receiver Michael Strachan. In five seasons of drafting receivers, the Colts will likely only have two of those draftees on the roster when the 2021 season begins. If the team decides to keep six receivers like they did last year, there is a chance that Patmon or Strachan could make the team as well.    

Often teams will draft receivers based on need. For years the Colts benefitted from hall of fame receivers like Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison. In recent years, the Colts have relied mostly on T.Y. Hilton.  Hilton has a chance to become the Colts third all-time leading receiver in both receptions and yards this season. Despite amassing over 9,300 yards in his 9-year career with the Colts, Hilton’s production and durability has declined. Hilton has missed nine games in the past three seasons leaving many to wonder if he will ever truly be a number one receiver again. Despite this, the Colts decided to bring Hilton back on a 1-year deal worth $10 million. The second leading receiver for the Colts for the past two years is the unheralded Zach Pascal. Pascal has nearly matched Hilton’s production in yardage and touchdowns over the past two years with little fanfare. Pascal will return to be a running-mate with Hilton for at least one more year. Since 2017, the Colts have relied heavily on their tight ends for receiving as well. It was not uncommon to find Jack Doyle or Eric Ebron among the team leaders in receiving yards. With Ebron gone, Doyle had his least productive year in 2020. This was partly due to the emergence of TE Moe Allie-Cox, and partly because the Colts used running backs as receivers as well. In fact, running backs Nyheim Hines and Jonathan Taylor logged nearly 100 catches between them in 2020. Look for this trend to continue as it has across most of the league.

With all of this in mind, do the Colts have enough offensive firepower to compete with the top AFC contenders? Would trading for Julio Jones take the Colts offense to a new level? We have heard all of the reasons why the Colts should not pursue Jones. Here are my top five reasons why the Colts need to make it happen!

Five Reasons to trade for Julio Jones:

1.      Failure to Catch- Since 2017, whether by choice or chance, the Colts have simply failed to land a top receiver via free agency, the draft, or through a trade- (see the long diatribe above).

2.      Jones is a Hall of Fame Production Monster- No offense to Michael Pittman, but the Colts have no one on their roster who is anywhere close to the physical imposing force that is Julio Jones. Much has been made of the down year for Julio last year. But, in just nine games, Julio produced more yards than any Colts receiver. Despite his injuries, his yards per game average was still 7th highest in the league. His worst performance in the six seasons prior was 1,391 yards and six touchdowns in 2019. Hilton only topped those numbers one time in nine years with his 2016 Pro-Bowl effort. In 10 years, Jones has amassed nearly 13,000 yards from scrimmage. The reality is, if he suits up to play, he will produce at an extremely high level.

3.      Jones Makes Everyone Better- You have heard the stories about Brady, Rodgers, and Mahomes, they are special because they make the players around them better. Just imagine for a minute how fast Pittman and Campbell might flourish if defenses were preoccupied with stopping Jones. Imagine how creatively T.Y. Hilton could be used if not facing double-teams. Imagine defenses trying to load the box to stop Taylor and Mack, and then realizing they still must account for Jones, Pittman, Hilton, and others. This would be fun to watch!

4.      Give your new QB a Monster Target- With so many questions surrounding the confidence and play of Carson Wentz in 2020, why not give your new QB a consistent, 6’3”, 220-pound, machine to rely on? Jones has averaged just over 96 yards per game for 10 seasons, the highest average in NFL history. Wentz has faired well in the past with large targets like Alshon Jeffrey and Zach Ertz. Side note: (If you want to trade for Ertz as well, I am sure that his good friend Carson would not mind). Why not announce to everyone in the league that your team in ready to compete for a championship?

5.      Keeping Up with the Joneses- I never really liked that term. I always thought it was ridiculous for people to compare themselves to others as a means for self-worth. But in this case, I think it works quite nicely. If the Colts do not trade for Jones, he will likely go to an AFC competitor as the Falcons will not want to face him in head-to-head matchups any more than necessary. You have heard the rumors. The Patriots are always mentioned. All I will say about that is this: I cannot stomach watching the Colts lose to the Patriots in the playoffs ever again! The Browns and Ravens have also been mentioned. The latest buzz is the Jacksonville Jaguars or the AFC South champion Tennessee Titans. The Jaguars have more salary cap space, but Jones will likely want to go to a team that has an immediate chance to win. Mark my words, if the Colts have the opportunity to acquire Julio Jones and he ends up with the Titans because they decide to pass, they will not only regret that decision for the next three years, they will get annual reminders of it at least twice a year. If they do make the trade happen, they will position themselves to not only win their first division title since 2014, but also contend for an AFC crown.

21 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Very very true.  We really don’t need a lot of picks right now.

And that kind of thinking is what gets any team in trouble.  You don't draft for this year.  You draft to keep that pipeline of talent that is on the first contract - meaning inexpensive - coming through the door.  If you have a few lean years of draft picks it will show up a few years down the road.

Pay me now or pay me later...

I think the vast majority of people would love to have Julio Jones, but I just don't see it being a realistic possibility. The compensation in terms of both trade return and salary is too high, especially when we'll already owe Philly a 1st or 2nd next year.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Exactly,  especially to what I Bolded.

It's sad that its reported that Ballard responded to patty mac if he was getting/pursuing  Julio he responded with a "laughing emoji". 

Laughing at acquiring one of the Top WR's in the league for years....laughing at acquiring a piece that can take us to the next level. 

And everyone, including the writer of story above that I pasted, shrugs it off that it's not something Ballard does.

If it's his injuries he has the last couple years that raises the red flag too high, ok then, but then another playmaking WR should have been added earlier.

Anyway, it is what it is and we may be ok if TY & Paris stay on the field .....but having a Julio would having been super.

I couldn’t agree more.  I am hoping that his “laughing emoji “was done as “tongue in cheek” and he has been actually working on getting a deal in place.  Many writers do shrug it off as something he wouldn’t do.  One exception is Matt Miller who thinks Ballard would pursue Julio under our current circumstances.   So I’m still holding out hope.  I know one thing.  It’s fun imagining him being split out wide with our offense.  How exciting and scary would that be.  

14 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

I think the vast majority of people would love to have Julio Jones, but I just don't see it being a realistic possibility. The compensation in terms of both trade return and salary is too high, especially when we'll already owe Philly a 1st or 2nd next year.

We don't need an expensive, past his prime, injury prone ,on  the downside if his career receiver.

22 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Very very true.  We really don’t need a lot of picks right now.

Do you think Chris Ballard believes that?

That we don’t need a lot of picks right now?

Ballard is trying to collect more picks for ‘22 and here you’re saying we don’t need many picks.   When has that EVER been Ballard’s approach?   This is astonishing.... 

I want this Julio trade saga to be over with. In a perfect world I would love for the Colts to get him and sure would 20+ other fanbases. It’s just not realistic and the Colts could definitely be contenders without him.

3 hours ago, philba101 said:

Chris Ballard has been clear since he took over the reins of the Colts in 2017.  He believes the best way to build a team is through the draft. Success follows as you grow and develop in-house talent in a way that matches the goals of the organization. Ballard’s actions have re-affirmed his belief in the draft process as opposed to other methods such as free agency or trades.

Trades: In his five seasons as a GM, Ballard has only pulled the trigger on three substantial trades. The first major trade was in response to Andrew Luck’s uncertain health status to start the 2017 season. When it became clear that Luck would be unable to play, the Colts traded disappointing first-round receiver Phillip Dorsett to the Patriots for third-string quarterback Jacoby Brissett. Brissett played four years for the Colts totaling an 11-19 record as a starter and earning just over $31 million. The Colts were incredibly loyal to Brissett despite his minimal success. Had the Colts known Luck was going to quit just before the 2019 season, they may have attempted to trade for a far more prominent quarterback in 2017. The second big trade of Ballard’s tenure came just before the 2020 NFL Draft when the Colts agreed to send the 13th overall pick to the San Francisco 49ers for defensive stud Deforest Buckner. The Colts inked Buckner to a whopping 5-year, $105 million contract. Buckner, along with Darius Leonard, seem to be the catalysts in the Colts top-10 ranked defense. The Colts appear confident that Buckner will continue to grow in this role each year. The third major trade is the most recent acquisition of Quarterback Carson Wentz. Wentz is coming off a career-worst year in which he threw 15 interceptions and was sacked a league-high 50 times. Wentz eventually lost his starting position with the Eagles to rookie Jalen Hurts. Wentz also comes with an injury history which includes a torn ACL and back surgery. The Colts are betting big that the previous relationship between Coach Reich and Wentz can be enough to overcome all the previous obstacles. One position the Colts have not traded for under Ballard is a receiver. This either suggests that Ballard does not put a high priority on receiver acquisition overall or would prefer to add receivers via free agency and the draft.

Free Agency: Much to the dismay of many Colts fans, the team has consistently failed to acquire an impactful receiver via free agency in five offseasons. The biggest-name receiver the Colts have signed in free agency is Devin Funchess. Funchess unfortunately broke his clavicle in his first game with the Colts and was unable to contribute after that. It is clear the organization does not consider it a priority to spend big money in free agency as a whole, but especially not on wide receivers.

The Draft: This leaves Ballard’s aforementioned favorite, the draft. Ballard oversaw his 5th draft with the Colts in April and along with the coaching staff has selected 45 total players during his tenure. Twenty-Five of those draft picks were spent on defensive players. Six of the remaining twenty players selected were wide receivers. The Colts selected no receivers in 2017. They spent 5th and 6th round picks on Daurice Fountain and Deon Cain in 2018. Both players are no longer with the team. In 2019, the Colts used the 59th overall pick to select Ohio State receiver Parris Campbell. Despite having high hopes for Campbell, a litany of unexpected injuries has mostly kept him off the field so far. In 2020, the Colts used the 34th overall pick to select USC receiver Michael Pittman Jr.  Pittman played 13 games in his rookie season catching 40 passes, accumulating 503 yards, and just one touchdown. The Colts believe that Pittman can continue to improve and eventually become a number one receiver. The Colts drafted Dezmon Patmon in the 6th round that same year, but he did play in 2020. In 2021, the Colts only added 7th round receiver Michael Strachan. In five seasons of drafting receivers, the Colts will likely only have two of those draftees on the roster when the 2021 season begins. If the team decides to keep six receivers like they did last year, there is a chance that Patmon or Strachan could make the team as well.    

Often teams will draft receivers based on need. For years the Colts benefitted from hall of fame receivers like Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison. In recent years, the Colts have relied mostly on T.Y. Hilton.  Hilton has a chance to become the Colts third all-time leading receiver in both receptions and yards this season. Despite amassing over 9,300 yards in his 9-year career with the Colts, Hilton’s production and durability has declined. Hilton has missed nine games in the past three seasons leaving many to wonder if he will ever truly be a number one receiver again. Despite this, the Colts decided to bring Hilton back on a 1-year deal worth $10 million. The second leading receiver for the Colts for the past two years is the unheralded Zach Pascal. Pascal has nearly matched Hilton’s production in yardage and touchdowns over the past two years with little fanfare. Pascal will return to be a running-mate with Hilton for at least one more year. Since 2017, the Colts have relied heavily on their tight ends for receiving as well. It was not uncommon to find Jack Doyle or Eric Ebron among the team leaders in receiving yards. With Ebron gone, Doyle had his least productive year in 2020. This was partly due to the emergence of TE Moe Allie-Cox, and partly because the Colts used running backs as receivers as well. In fact, running backs Nyheim Hines and Jonathan Taylor logged nearly 100 catches between them in 2020. Look for this trend to continue as it has across most of the league.

With all of this in mind, do the Colts have enough offensive firepower to compete with the top AFC contenders? Would trading for Julio Jones take the Colts offense to a new level? We have heard all of the reasons why the Colts should not pursue Jones. Here are my top five reasons why the Colts need to make it happen!

Five Reasons to trade for Julio Jones:

1.      Failure to Catch- Since 2017, whether by choice or chance, the Colts have simply failed to land a top receiver via free agency, the draft, or through a trade- (see the long diatribe above).

2.      Jones is a Hall of Fame Production Monster- No offense to Michael Pittman, but the Colts have no one on their roster who is anywhere close to the physical imposing force that is Julio Jones. Much has been made of the down year for Julio last year. But, in just nine games, Julio produced more yards than any Colts receiver. Despite his injuries, his yards per game average was still 7th highest in the league. His worst performance in the six seasons prior was 1,391 yards and six touchdowns in 2019. Hilton only topped those numbers one time in nine years with his 2016 Pro-Bowl effort. In 10 years, Jones has amassed nearly 13,000 yards from scrimmage. The reality is, if he suits up to play, he will produce at an extremely high level.

3.      Jones Makes Everyone Better- You have heard the stories about Brady, Rodgers, and Mahomes, they are special because they make the players around them better. Just imagine for a minute how fast Pittman and Campbell might flourish if defenses were preoccupied with stopping Jones. Imagine how creatively T.Y. Hilton could be used if not facing double-teams. Imagine defenses trying to load the box to stop Taylor and Mack, and then realizing they still must account for Jones, Pittman, Hilton, and others. This would be fun to watch!

4.      Give your new QB a Monster Target- With so many questions surrounding the confidence and play of Carson Wentz in 2020, why not give your new QB a consistent, 6’3”, 220-pound, machine to rely on? Jones has averaged just over 96 yards per game for 10 seasons, the highest average in NFL history. Wentz has faired well in the past with large targets like Alshon Jeffrey and Zach Ertz. Side note: (If you want to trade for Ertz as well, I am sure that his good friend Carson would not mind). Why not announce to everyone in the league that your team in ready to compete for a championship?

5.      Keeping Up with the Joneses- I never really liked that term. I always thought it was ridiculous for people to compare themselves to others as a means for self-worth. But in this case, I think it works quite nicely. If the Colts do not trade for Jones, he will likely go to an AFC competitor as the Falcons will not want to face him in head-to-head matchups any more than necessary. You have heard the rumors. The Patriots are always mentioned. All I will say about that is this: I cannot stomach watching the Colts lose to the Patriots in the playoffs ever again! The Browns and Ravens have also been mentioned. The latest buzz is the Jacksonville Jaguars or the AFC South champion Tennessee Titans. The Jaguars have more salary cap space, but Jones will likely want to go to a team that has an immediate chance to win. Mark my words, if the Colts have the opportunity to acquire Julio Jones and he ends up with the Titans because they decide to pass, they will not only regret that decision for the next three years, they will get annual reminders of it at least twice a year. If they do make the trade happen, they will position themselves to not only win their first division title since 2014, but also contend for an AFC crown.

This was your 4th post here?

I nominate your 4th post as the " Best 4th Post Ever ". ....:woah:

impressive.  

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you think Chris Ballard believes that?

That we don’t need a lot of picks right now?

Ballard is trying to collect more picks for ‘22 and here you’re saying we don’t need many picks.   When has that EVER been Ballard’s approach?   This is astonishing.... 

Of course he does.  He will certainly not come out and say it but that’s why he’s willing to trade picks NOW for proven players.  High picks at that.  His actions speak for themselves.  Next up Julio Jones.......hopefully lol.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Of course he does.  He will certainly not come out and say it but that’s why he’s willing to trade picks NOW for proven players.  High picks at that.  His actions speak for themselves.  Next up Julio Jones.......hopefully lol.

This is amazing.   It's as if we're watching two different franchises run by two different GM's.

Chris Ballard has made ONE trade this year to upgrade the team and that was to the MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER ON THE TEAM --- QUARTERBACK!     And even when he did,  Ballard paid the SMALLEST PRICE for any top QB available.   He paid less than for Matt Stafford.   Less than any 1st round QB teams traded up for in the draft.    Only lesser QB's like Darnold or Bridgewater went for a smaller price.    What actions?    Ballard has made one trade.   One.    And it was for a starting QB.

So, out of making one trade you conclude he doesn't care about draft picks.   Four previous years of actions and comments to the contrary have been totally forgotten by you.   It's as if Ballard has never said he always wants more picks,  more darts to throw at the draft board.  Suddenly you conveniently forgot all that.  Astounding.

Here's what else you're overlooking (deliberate or not)....   Ballard didn't sign a single free agent wide receiver this year.   And it was a good class.   And he waited to the 7th round to draft a wide receiver in this year's class, a class hailed as perhaps the best WR class maybe in history and we passed on all of them until the 7th round.   So, maybe, MAYBE Chris Ballard likes his WR group more than his fan base does?    I think that's the only reasonable conclusion that can be made.

Would Ballard like to have Julio Jones?   Of course he would.    You don't have to be a General Manager to come to that conclusion.    But at what price?    You're willing to pay a first.   You think CB is too.    You say you'd do it.   You think this deal gets done next week.   Atlanta says it already has an offer of a first round pick.   I'm betting it's not from the Colts.

7 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

We don't need an expensive, past his prime, injury prone ,on  the downside if his career receiver.

He missed 9 games in the last 5 years plus he’s still better than any receiver on this team by a wide margin. His 2019 season was a down year and he still has 99 catches 1394 yards and 6TDs in 15 games. Ty has topped those numbers once and that was in 2016

10 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Julio post-prime would still be WR1 on this team, and it wouldn't be particularly close.

I agree that we don't need him, but let's not pretend that he wouldn't make this team better.

This will never happen because it isn't a Ballard move. Let me ask the forum this, do you guys think we have 1 WR better than Jones right now? I love Pitt and TY but TY is slowing down and Pitt is still an unproven #1. If Ballard did make this move I wouldn't be upset with it, I am 50/50 on it though because like TY, Jones has age on him but Jones has had a better career than TY. This wouldn't be anywhere near like acquiring Andre Johnson, he was washed up. Having said that I am not big on trading high draft picks for Jones, I doubt Ballard is either is why I don't see this. I bet he goes to Baltimore, just a hunch.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This will never happen because it isn't a Ballard move. Let me ask the forum this, do you guys think we have 1 WR better than Jones right now? I love Pitt and TY but TY is slowing down and Pitt is still an unproven #1. If Ballard did make this move I wouldn't be upset with it, I am 50/50 on it though because like TY, Jones has age on him but Jones has had a better career than TY. This wouldn't be anywhere near like acquiring Andre Johnson, he was washed up. Having said that I am not big on trading high draft picks for Jones, I doubt Ballard is either is why I don't see this. I bet he goes to Baltimore, just a hunch.

To answer your question No.  I laugh when I hear the argument it's not a Ballard move.  He has already traded three high picks in the last two years for players.  Of course it's a Ballard move.  He is certainly not afraid to do it if he thinks the player is worth obtaining.  That is obvious.  

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is amazing.   It's as if we're watching two different franchises run by two different GM's.

Chris Ballard has made ONE trade this year to upgrade the team and that was to the MOST IMPORTANT PLAYER ON THE TEAM --- QUARTERBACK!     And even when he did,  Ballard paid the SMALLEST PRICE for any top QB available.   He paid less than for Matt Stafford.   Less than any 1st round QB teams traded up for in the draft.    Only lesser QB's like Darnold or Bridgewater went for a smaller price.    What actions?    Ballard has made one trade.   One.    And it was for a starting QB.

So, out of making one trade you conclude he doesn't care about draft picks.   Four previous years of actions and comments to the contrary have been totally forgotten by you.   It's as if Ballard has never said he always wants more picks,  more darts to throw at the draft board.  Suddenly you conveniently forgot all that.  Astounding.

Here's what else you're overlooking (deliberate or not)....   Ballard didn't sign a single free agent wide receiver this year.   And it was a good class.   And he waited to the 7th round to draft a wide receiver in this year's class, a class hailed as perhaps the best WR class maybe in history and we passed on all of them until the 7th round.   So, maybe, MAYBE Chris Ballard likes his WR group more than his fan base does?    I think that's the only reasonable conclusion that can be made.

Would Ballard like to have Julio Jones?   Of course he would.    You don't have to be a General Manager to come to that conclusion.    But at what price?    You're willing to pay a first.   You think CB is too.    You say you'd do it.   You think this deal gets done next week.   Atlanta says it already has an offer of a first round pick.   I'm betting it's not from the Colts.

Conveniently you forgot to mention we traded a 1st for Buckner the previous year.  I get it though.  Three high draft picks for two proven players in the last two years.  Doesn't look he's out there accumulating picks to me.  I guess it didn't occur to you that Ballard will not overpay in FA.  He has said that too.  Maybe that's why he passed on the WR's.  And maybe he passed on WR's in the early part of the draft because he thought it was more important to get an ER and upgrade the DL.  That's a possibility as well.  I wouldn't be afraid to offer our 23rd 1st for him.  After all it's a future pick that GM's discount all of the time.  Maybe Atlanta views a 2nd in 22 as more valuable than a 1st in 23.  That's possible too.  The Wentz trade shows us how creative Ballard can get when he wants a player.  I can see him getting creative in this potential acquisition as well. So we will just have to wait it out.    One thing is certain we sure as heck know Ballard does not want to see him on the Titans.  And he would much rather see him wearing the horseshoe.  He would be that big of a difference maker to either team IMO.  So here's hoping he gets it done.  Even if it has to cost us a 1st.  

36 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Conveniently you forgot to mention we traded a 1st for Buckner the previous year.  I get it though.  Three high draft picks for two proven players in the last two years.  Doesn't look he's out there accumulating picks to me.  I guess it didn't occur to you that Ballard will not overpay in FA.  He has said that too.  Maybe that's why he passed on the WR's.  And maybe he passed on WR's in the early part of the draft because he thought it was more important to get an ER and upgrade the DL.  That's a possibility as well.  I wouldn't be afraid to offer our 23rd 1st for him.  After all it's a future pick that GM's discount all of the time.  Maybe Atlanta views a 2nd in 22 as more valuable than a 1st in 23.  That's possible too.  The Wentz trade shows us how creative Ballard can get when he wants a player.  I can see him getting creative in this potential acquisition as well. So we will just have to wait it out.    One thing is certain we sure as heck know Ballard does not want to see him on the Titans.  And he would much rather see him wearing the horseshoe.  He would be that big of a difference maker to either team IMO.  So here's hoping he gets it done.  Even if it has to cost us a 1st.  

I have read that Julio was available even before the draft. I think that it was dicscussed and decided against. And stamped finished when Irsay decided to keep TY.  TY leaving would have to be part of the trade IMO. 

49 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I have read that Julio was available even before the draft. I think that it was dicscussed and decided against. And stamped finished when Irsay decided to keep TY.  TY leaving would have to be part of the trade IMO. 

He was available before the draft but their asking price was considered high at the time by many of the GM's I would expect.  Circumstances have greatly changed now.  They are really up against the cap and can't even sign any players from their draft class.  They have to do something.  They do not have a lot of leverage.  I really don't think TY plays into the decision.  I think they would want both players.  Julios presence would only increase the productivity from our other WR's IMO.  You can not double team everyone. TY would be thrilled to have him and he would remove some of the focus on him.  This would be a great move if Ballard can find a way.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Nothing convenient about not mentioning the Buckner deal.   You kept talking about NOW, so I thought you were talking about this year only. 

Adding the Buckner deal isn't better for your argument.  Buckner was 25 when we traded for him.   Prime of his career.   Wentz was 28, Prime of his career.   Jones is 32, NOT the prime of his career.   Ballard is willing to trade a first for players that can give him 5-10 top years.  It’s not likely that Jones can do that. 

As for Ballard, this was the first year he didn’t have 8 or more picks to use since he arrived.  Even last year, after trading our first for Buckner,  Ballard still ended up with 9 picks.  Plus, we’ve already added two comp picks in 22, that gives us 8 next year even after the Wentz deal.   Ballard is ALWAYS trying to collect picks.   He even talked about how strange it was this year not being able to get more than he did.   You have to twist a large number of facts to pretend that Ballard doesn’t want more picks. 

Look...   clearly we’re not going to agree.   I just hope the Jones deal happens this coming week so we can be done with this once and for all.   Perhaps we can agree on that....

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Titans seem to be the favorites according to roto moments ago. 2nd round pick compensation for what's being reported

The favorite seems to change almost by the hour now.  If Ballard let’s him go the Titans for a 2nd he is making a huge mistake IMO.  I can’t believe he would let that happen knowing how that acquisition , for a 2nd rd pick, would make them the clear favorites in the South.  Ballard needs to beat that somehow.  He just can’t let him become a Titan.  He knows that and I’m thinking he swoops in and get’s Julio for the Colts.  Time to go for it.  It’s them or us for the division and beyond. 

This is going to be an unpopular take but its only my opinion.

I have always thought this was a deal where the FO is securing their jobs more than trying to win now. DONT GET ME TWISTED, they would love to win now and it could happen, however they are not going to go all in like some teams do. 

The Bucs have done this,  go all in. Arians doesn't have many more years left so they WON now and Pats are going all in as Belechick just wants number 7 for the franchise lead in trophies and he will bow out 

Ballard and the gang can look to building a growth(getting better) each year which keeps all of them employed and is a track record of consistently winning,  consistently having a chance to Win SB but won't win SB a lot if at anytime.

This is MY issue. As a fan I don't care so much about consistently winning over winning the SB. Through Manning days it was frustrating as we should have won more SBs and being in playoffs became less satisfying over the years. I'm afraid that is what might happen again here if this FO doesn't pull the trigger at times and takes the risk.

Jones is one of those risk times, and it seems Colts are going to play it safe while IF the Titans grab him, they become instant team to reckon with where if it were us, we could've locked this division down and went after the trophy

***Again, this is my opinion and my opinion/speculation of how I see it doesn't need facts to back it up. 

And for those who say our picks are tied up, the chance of Colts with Wentz not making playoffs are slim to none. 1st is gone IMO so trade the 2nd for Jones or a third and Marlon Mack or whatever. This again just seems playing it safe when we should be stamping out the competition especially with cap projected at 208 or 218 next year from 182 this year. I forgot which one. This isn't a money issue. Money can be freed for Jones by cutting Doyle and any combination of Pascal or Campbell or whoever. Pick any Jag on this team who is not anywhere close to Jones.  If Jones comes here it puts Hilton in the slot where he would truly flourish for a couple years longer. That's what doesn't make sense because Hilton in the slot vs Campbell is better solution. Trade Campbell, Mack, and a third to ATL. Both positions of need for ATL. All on final 1st deal or 1 year prove, all doable for ATL. I'm not sure why ATL would not take that package because afterall this is really just a salary dump for ATL so if Mack or Campbell or both hit its a major win for them

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The favorite seems to change almost by the hour now.  If Ballard let’s him go the Titans for a 2nd he is making a huge mistake IMO.  I can’t believe he would let that happen knowing how that acquisition , for a 2nd rd pick, would make them the clear favorites in the South.  Ballard needs to beat that somehow.  He just can’t let him become a Titan.  He knows that and I’m thinking he swoops in and get’s Julio for the Colts.  Time to go for it.  It’s them or us for the division and beyond. 

Here ya go ......

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31537944/seattle-seahawks-atlanta-falcons-discuss-julio-jones-trade-sources-say

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

This is going to be an unpopular take but its only my opinion.

I have always thought this was a deal where the FO is securing their jobs more than trying to win now. DONT GET ME TWISTED, they would love to win now and it could happen, however they are not going to go all in like some teams do. 

The Bucs have done this,  go all in. Arians doesn't have many more years left so they WON now and Pats are going all in as Belechick just wants number 7 for the franchise lead in trophies and he will bow out 

Ballard and the gang can look to building a growth(getting better) each year which keeps all of them employed and is a track record of consistently winning,  consistently having a chance to Win SB but won't win SB a lot if at anytime.

This is MY issue. As a fan I don't care so much about consistently winning over winning the SB. Through Manning days it was frustrating as we should have won more SBs and being in playoffs became less satisfying over the years. I'm afraid that is what might happen again here if this FO doesn't pull the trigger at times and takes the risk.

Jones is one of those risk times, and it seems Colts are going to play it safe while IF the Titans grab him, they become instant team to reckon with where if it were us, we could've locked this division down and went after the trophy

***Again, this is my opinion and my opinion/speculation of how I see it doesn't need facts to back it up. 

Not "going for it" is NOT FAILING to win it all when you don't. ..... I can see that point in your post.

9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t understand this post?

Atlanta has said they’ve had an offer of a first round pick for several days.   But you write about a second. 

There are stories about teams trying to get Julio for multiple picks.   A 2 and something else.   But you write about losing Jones for a 2.  

Ive even read a story that says Tennessee is fading, becoming a long shot.   But you write about Tennessee. 

For what it’s worth, Seattle is reported to be today’s front runner. 

Ballard has often said he doesn’t care about other teams, he cares about the Colts — period.   He does not like swooping in trying to outbid teams.   That’s how you over pay which Ballard always says he doesn’t want to do. 

This Jones saga can’t happen soon enough.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t understand this post?

Atlanta has said they’ve had an offer of a first round pick for several days.   But you write about a second. 

There are stories about teams trying to get Julio for multiple picks.   A 2 and something else.   But you write about losing Jones for a 2.  

Ive even read a story that says Tennessee is fading, becoming a long shot.   But you write about Tennessee. 

For what it’s worth, Seattle is reported to be today’s front runner. 

Ballard has often said he doesn’t care about other teams, he cares about the Colts — period.   He does not like swooping in trying to outbid teams.   That’s how you over pay which Ballard always says he doesn’t want to do. 

This Jones saga can’t happen soon enough.

Florio reported yesterday that Tennessee had emerged as the front runner and that word was Julio for a second was compensation. Then Rotoworld pulled the story from Florio and leaked the blurb on their site. That is why @richard pallo mentions Tennessee as I posted the roto blurb. Seattle only came into focus about 2 hours after the Tennessee blurb was posted. Many in the media have stated that IF there were an actual 1st round pick on the table for Jones as had been speculated, then that trade would've already been made as unless Atlanta felt it would get a better potential 1st round pick from a team who might eventually have a higher position in the upcoming draft. The 1st though here would've been the best offer Atlanta could get. This is why many feel the 1st round pick notion is bunk, just trying to entice the interested teams to up the ante with 1st round picks but a second will be the best that will transpire. Either way, time will tell once all this happens and if it does turn out to be a second for Julio, many of us will be disappointed as a second round pick is fine but there is no guarantee that player selected in that spot will even pan out vs using that commodity on a proven 1st ballot HOF'er that could give us an edge to win a title right now. 

Archived