Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts & Chargers Favored to Get Julio Jones If Traded (merge)


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, runthepost said:

Julio would be by far the best receiver on this team but cap space is an issue. If he were cut :stir:

The dead cap hit to the Falcons would be so insane, it would make no sense for them to cut him. Per Spotrac:

 

Pre-6/1 release

2021 Dead Cap: $40,550,000

 

Post-6/1 release

2021 Dead Cap: $25,050,000

2022 Dead Cap: $15,500,000

 

10 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

For the HISTORY of the Colts, Lets for once go for it!

Trade for Julio and taking on his contract (even with ATL paying a portion of it) means at least one of our priority re-signings (Nelson, Leonard, Smith, Hines, possibly Fisher, etc) don't happen. A move like that doesn't mesh with Ballard's philosophy, which places a priority on building with long-term success in mind.

 

A few years back, Jacksonville splurged on FA's and was suddenly a powerhouse team. A couple years later, it all came crumbling back down and they were again the worst team in the league. You might be able to make one or 2 SB runs (if your big FA/trade swings hit), but are then setting yourself up to blow up the roster and start again. Ballard wants to be built in a way that allows for another decade of being perennial contenders. I know it doesn't fulfil the instant gratification most seem to crave, but it's what Ballard has told us time and time again is how he's building this team.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This sounds like the most anti-Ballard move possible

It's like those reporters and "insiders" have been in a coma for the last 4-5 years and have never seen how Ballard operates.

This may not be realistic due to lack of trade ammo and salary reasons, but can we stop pretending we couldn't use a receiver of Julio Jones' talent? Come on now. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Shive said:

The dead cap hit to the Falcons would be so insane, it would make no sense for them to cut him. Per Spotrac:

 

Pre-6/1 release

2021 Dead Cap: $40,550,000

 

Post-6/1 release

2021 Dead Cap: $25,050,000

2022 Dead Cap: $15,500,000

 

Trade for Julio and taking on his contract (even with ATL paying a portion of it) means at least one of our priority re-signings (Nelson, Leonard, Smith, Hines, possibly Fisher, etc) don't happen. A move like that doesn't mesh with Ballard's philosophy, which places a priority on building with long-term success in mind.

 

A few years back, Jacksonville splurged on FA's and was suddenly a powerhouse team. A couple years later, it all came crumbling back down and they were again the worst team in the league. You might be able to make one or 2 SB runs (if your big FA/trade swings hit), but are then setting yourself up to blow up the roster and start again. Ballard wants to be built in a way that allows for another decade of being perennial contenders. I know it doesn't fulfil the instant gratification most seem to crave, but it's what Ballard has told us time and time again is how he's building this team.

Trading for Julio will not stop Ballard from signing the players he wants to extend.  People are making too much of the contract.  There are many paths the team could go down to make the numbers work.  No one is suggesting we follow the Jacksonville path.  Ballard would never do that and we all know it.  This team is already built for long term success.  We are young and we are serious contenders.  Adding Julio would not prevent us from being perennial contenders.  The real question mark is Wentz and if he rebounds as expected we are there.  If he doesn't Ballard's judgement will then be questioned and the pressure to fix the QB slot will be jacked up considerably.   Let's hope he is fine and ready to roll again.  Julio would only increase the likelihood of his and the team's success. We are a long way from blowing up this roster.  I can only see that happening with a new GM.  I am sure Ballard would like to keep as many of his own players as he can but we all know it is not realistic.  There will always be turnover and we will eventually trade or lose some players to FA that fans like.  It happens on every roster.  I am hoping Ballard finds a way to bring him on board because I think he would be a huge difference maker.  I think he would make us co favorites in the AFC.  If not so be it.  We are still contenders just one playmaking WR1 short. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

I'm hoping Tennessee doesn't sign him. I don't want Julio in the same division. 

Wouldn't they have to trade for him before signing 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Trading for Julio will not stop Ballard from signing the players he wants to extend.  People are making too much of the contract.  There are many paths the team could go down to make the numbers work.  No one is suggesting we follow the Jacksonville path.  Ballard would never do that and we all know it.  This team is already built for long term success.  We are young and we are serious contenders.  Adding Julio would not prevent us from being perennial contenders.  The real question mark is Wentz and if he rebounds as expected we are there.  If he doesn't Ballard's judgement will then be questioned and the pressure to fix the QB slot will be jacked up considerably.   Let's hope he is fine and ready to roll again.  Julio would only increase the likelihood of his and the team's success. We are a long way from blowing up this roster.  I can only see that happening with a new GM.  I am sure Ballard would like to keep as many of his own players as he can but we all know it is not realistic.  There will always be turnover and we will eventually trade or lose some players to FA that fans like.  It happens on every roster.  I am hoping Ballard finds a way to bring him on board because I think he would be a huge difference maker.  I think he would make us co favorites in the AFC.  If not so be it.  We are still contenders just one playmaking WR1 short. 

How could they trade for Julio?   What would the offer be?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What would the Colts offer the Falcons for Julio?

Exactly, The Colts are already down at least a 2nd round pick, more likely a 1st, next year.  For a team that is looking to extend several players over the next couple of years, they will need as many draft picks as possible.  It really makes little sense, though, I would love him wearing the shoe.  That said, I really don't see it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Wouldn't they have to trade for him before signing 

You're right; I was thinking that Julio Jones was a free agent, which isn't the case. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

How could they trade for Julio?   What would the offer be?

They could trade a pick or picks or a player or a player and picks.  I think Ballard is very well qualified to figure that out.  Irsay is paying him to build a SB roster and make those kind of decisions.  So far so good I would say.  What we know as fans is Julio is not happy and wants to be traded to a contender.  Atlanta would love a 1st but so far no one has offered that.  He's been on the market for months now and no takers before the draft.  It has been reported they were offered a 2nd during the draft and turned it down.  Now the draft has come and gone and rosters are being finalized.  Unfortunately for Atlanta they don't even have the cap space to sign any of their draft picks.  Who has the leverage here?  I would bet he is traded after June 1st.  They need the space.  Will they get what they want at this stage of the season highly unlikely I would think.  Of course all it takes is one GM and it's done.  I think it's safe to say we have had internal conversations on his acquisition.  Most likely have had a few conversations with Atlanta.  We are contenders after all.  That's what contenders do.  Maybe we can't reach a deal and he winds up with another team.  Who knows.  Like I said it's all up to Ballard.  But he is pretty good at brokering deals.  We know that.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

This wouldn't be as bad as people think it would. The problem is, the cap cost and the draft capital it would take to acquire double J. Analyzing our receiver situation, I have no problem making this move only if it benefits the team in the long run. Ballard is building this team to be competitive and compete every season. 

 

 

 

TY: Showed flashes in the second half of last season but in the first half he was missing in action. He's also signed for 1 year, so it makes sense to pursue another WR. He's not really a red zone threat either. We need a WR that can eat in the red zone. 

 

Pittman: I'm curious to see what how his route running and deep ball game looks this year. Working out with Carson this offseason is going to help him and I think he's poised for a breakout season. 

 

Parris: Three words: Can't stay healthy. You have to be available in this league. I'm pulling for him, but he has to stay on the football field. Its a big question mark with him. 

 

Pascal: He's reliable yes, but can you pencil him in for multiple targets per game? I can't sorry. 

 

 

Then you have Ashton Dulin, Dezmon Patmon, Michael Strachan, and DeMichael Harris We don't know what these guys are. Strachan could be a Julio Jones type of WR. But he was a 7th round draft pick! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WentzinRome said:

Exactly, The Colts are already down at least a 2nd round pick, more likely a 1st, next year.  For a team that is looking to extend several players over the next couple of years, they will need as many draft picks as possible.  It really makes little sense, though, I would love him wearing the shoe.  That said, I really don't see it.

I don't see the connection with a team needing to extend several players over the next couple of years to securing as many draft picks as possible.  Ballard is certainly not afraid to trade draft picks.  When he first arrived he traded picks to get more picks.  The last two years he has traded picks to get players.  A 1st for Buckner and a new contract and a 3rd and most likely a 1st for Wentz.  He has jettisoned picks knowing he needs to extend players he wants to extend.  No worries on my part.  Seems like we are into a different phase of rebuilding now.  He even plugged a big whole at LT with an all pro in Fisher.   I think he loves this team he has built and is very happy with this year's draft.  Will we trade for Julio i don't know but to dismiss it as something Ballard would never do I beg to differ.  Certainly not when he first arrived but now could be a different story.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

They could trade a pick or picks or a player or a player and picks.  I think Ballard is very well qualified to figure that out.  Irsay is paying him to build a SB roster and make those kind of decisions.  So far so good I would say.  What we know as fans is Julio is not happy and wants to be traded to a contender.  Atlanta would love a 1st but so far no one has offered that.  He's been on the market for months now and no takers before the draft.  It has been reported they were offered a 2nd during the draft and turned it down.  Now the draft has come and gone and rosters are being finalized.  Unfortunately for Atlanta they don't even have the cap space to sign any of their draft picks.  Who has the leverage here?  I would bet he is traded after June 1st.  They need the space.  Will they get what they want at this stage of the season highly unlikely I would think.  Of course all it takes is one GM and it's done.  I think it's safe to say we have had internal conversations on his acquisition.  Most likely have had a few conversations with Atlanta.  We are contenders after all.  That's what contenders do.  Maybe we can't reach a deal and he winds up with another team.  Who knows.  Like I said it's all up to Ballard.  But he is pretty good at brokering deals.  We know that.  

Ballard can't trade a 1st or a 2nd in the 2022 draft.    So,  he doesn't have much of a chance

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I don't see the connection with a team needing to extend several players over the next couple of years to securing as many draft picks as possible.  Ballard is certainly not afraid to trade draft picks.  When he first arrived he traded picks to get more picks.  The last two years he has traded picks to get players.  A 1st for Buckner and a new contract and a 3rd and most likely a 1st for Wentz.  He has jettisoned picks knowing he needs to extend players he wants to extend.  No worries on my part.  Seems like we are into a different phase of rebuilding now.  He even plugged a big whole at LT with an all pro in Fisher.   I think he loves this team he has built and is very happy with this year's draft.  Will we trade for Julio i don't know but to dismiss it as something Ballard would never do I beg to differ.  Certainly not when he first arrived but now could be a different story.  

 I never said that Ballard would simply dismiss the idea, I only gave reasons why it wasn't likely. 

 If you need to extend Leonard, Braden, Q, Fisher and maybe Hines, they all will make significantly more money.  Hence, needing all the draft picks you can keep, to fill out the rest of the roster at a lower cost.  And trading down to get more picks isn't always the answer, especially if you working without a 1st and 2nd. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Ballard can't trade a 1st or a 2nd in the 2022 draft.    So,  he doesn't have much of a chance

Not 100% certain but I think he can. They can make it conditional on whatever happens with the pick for Wentz. For example, they can make it so the Hawks get the pick that the Eagles don't get. This might be more intriguing for the Hawks than a regular 2nd rounder because it has upside to become a 1st. 

 

For example, in 2016 the Jamie Collins trade was condiitional on whether the Browns got a compensatory pick in the 3d. They can word the deal in a way that allows them to trade both those picks - one to the Hawks, one to the Eagles... depending on what happens with Wentz' snap count this year. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Titans have $3.5M in cap room   They would have to cut some decent players to have some room to sign Julio

 

I dont see it

 

Do the Chargers, who are building a good young team, give up draft capitol for a 32 year old?

 

He is NOT the missing piece to them to take a SB run (They have too many holes)

 

I dont see a way forward, except that the Falcons take him back 

 

The Falcons have HUGE cap issues with Julio, so they cant cut him

 

 

Great player, but I just dont see the Colts pulling that trigger

 

Sign Leonard and Smith...... forget about the big name

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

The Titans have $3.5M in cap room   They would have to cut some decent players to have some room to sign Julio

 

I dont see it

 

Do the Chargers, who are building a good young team, give up draft capitol for a 32 year old?

 

He is NOT the missing piece to them to take a SB run (They have too many holes)

 

I dont see a way forward, except that the Falcons take him back 

 

The Falcons have HUGE cap issues with Julio, so they cant cut him

 

 

Great player, but I just dont see the Colts pulling that trigger

 

Sign Leonard and Smith...... forget about the big name

 

 

 

Not me.  I can see them pulling the trigger.  They can still sign Leonard.  We can hold off on Smith if we need to.  

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, WentzinRome said:

  For a team that is looking to extend several players over the next couple of years, they will need as many draft picks as possible.  It really makes little sense, though, I would love him wearing the shoe.  That said, I really don't see it.

 

I don't see the connection of needing as many draft picks as possible when extending contracts. :thinking:

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

I don't see the connection of needing as many draft picks as possible when extending contracts. :thinking:

 It is really quite simple, if you have to extend Leonard, Braden, Q, Fisher, and possibly Hines, they will get huge raises and count heavily against the cap.  Thus, the need to have, and hit on, draft picks is essential to rounding out the team, as they are less expensive.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stitches said:

Not 100% certain but I think he can. They can make it conditional on whatever happens with the pick for Wentz. For example, they can make it so the Hawks get the pick that the Eagles don't get. This might be more intriguing for the Hawks than a regular 2nd rounder because it has upside to become a 1st. 

 

For example, in 2016 the Jamie Collins trade was condiitional on whether the Browns got a compensatory pick in the 3d. They can word the deal in a way that allows them to trade both those picks - one to the Hawks, one to the Eagles... depending on what happens with Wentz' snap count this year. 

You have your birds confused

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dianna Russini is reporting today that a team has reportedly offered a future 1st for Julio and that he could be traded as early as next week.  Ballard acquired Wentz with a future potential 1st.  I could see him doing the same thing for Julio using the 2023 draft.  Teams discount future picks so I think that pick would equate to a 3rd rd pick in this years draft I believe.  Since we took a calculated swing with Wentz and Fisher maybe Ballard will go all in and get Julio.  I guess we won't have to wait a long time to find out.  Love the off season.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Dianna Russini is reporting today that a team has reportedly offered a future 1st for Julio and that he could be traded as early as next week.  Ballard acquired Wentz with a future potential 1st.  I could see him doing the same thing for Julio using the 2023 draft.  Teams discount future picks so I think that pick would equate to a 3rd rd pick in this years draft I believe.  Since we took a calculated swing with Wentz and Fisher maybe Ballard will go all in and get Julio.  I guess we won't have to wait a long time to find out.  Love the off season.  

 

Please God, let it not be the Chiefs. :peek:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Dianna Russini is reporting today that a team has reportedly offered a future 1st for Julio and that he could be traded as early as next week.  Ballard acquired Wentz with a future potential 1st.  I could see him doing the same thing for Julio using the 2023 draft.  Teams discount future picks so I think that pick would equate to a 3rd rd pick in this years draft I believe.  Since we took a calculated swing with Wentz and Fisher maybe Ballard will go all in and get Julio.  I guess we won't have to wait a long time to find out.  Love the off season.  

You think Chris Ballard might use a first round pick on a 32 year old wide receiver?   Really?   Seriously?

 

I appreciate that no one on this website loves a trade more than you do, but come on....

 

Over on ESPN.com today, a story about a hypothetical bidding war for Jones.   The Colts weren’t even listed as one of the Final Four precisely because of Jones’ age 32.  
 

The winning offer was a 2 and 4.  Again, hypothetical.   I’m just saying how it looks to NFL insiders. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

Please God, let it not be the Chiefs. :peek:

I don’t want the Titans either.  Twice a year we would face him.  He could win the division for them.  What a handful he would be for our defensive backs.  I hope Ballard finds a way to get him to the Colts.  He could swing the division to the Colts or Titans.  That’s how big an acquisition he would be for either team.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You think Chris Ballard might use a first round pick on a 32 year old wide receiver?   Really?   Seriously?

 

I appreciate that no one on this website loves a trade more than you do, but come on....

 

Over on ESPN.com today, a story about a hypothetical bidding war for Jones.   The Colts weren’t even listed as one of the Final Four precisely because of Jones’ age 32.  
 

The winning offer was a 2 and 4.  Again, hypothetical.   I’m just saying how it looks to NFL insiders. 

Why would his age scare us away?   It certainly isn’t scaring the other teams away.  Ballard did sign a 31 year old TY.  TY has missed more time in his career than Julio.  And Julio is the better player even at 32.  I don’t see that argument.  Ertz is an older player too and we are reportedly interested in him.  We can afford to wait on Ertz’s release.  Different circumstances.  Julio is not getting released.  No doubt he’s being traded next week.  And I would not be surprised if we get him.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Why would his age scare us away?   It certainly isn’t scaring the other teams away.  Ballard did sign a 31 year old TY.  TY has missed more time in his career than Julio.  And Julio is the better player even at 32.  I don’t see that argument.  Ertz is an older player too and we are reportedly interested in him.  We can afford to wait on Ertz’s release.  Different circumstances.  Julio is not getting released.  No doubt he’s being traded next week.  And I would not be surprised if we get him.  

The age isn’t the only issue.   And you know it. 
 

It’s that you’re willing to spend a first round draft pick.  THAT’s the big issue.  Yet you just write an entire post without mentioning that.  11 sentences of this and that.  But suddenly no mention of the first round pick that you talked about in your previous post. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

The age isn’t the only issue.   And you know it. 
 

It’s that you’re willing to spend a first round draft pick.  THAT’s the big issue.  Yet you just write an entire post without mentioning that.  11 sentences of this and that.  But suddenly no mention of the first round pick that you talked about in your previous post. 

Seriously.  This one's for you.  For the second time. I would trade a future 1st rd pick for Julio.  There you go.  Enjoy.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Seriously.  This one's for you.  For the second time. I would trade a future 1st rd pick for Julio.  There you go.  Enjoy.  

I know you would.   That’s as predictable as can be. 
 

I just don’t know why you think Chris Ballard would?    It wouldn’t be a very Ballard-like thing for him to do. 
 

And here we are. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Today Matt Miller said he really likes the Colts for Julio.  He said figuring out the comp is tricky given the conditional value of Wentz’s deal but a conditional trade is possible too as is a combination of 22 and 23 picks.  He said Ballard has shown he’ll move picks for players.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know you would.   That’s as predictable as can be. 
 

I just don’t know why you think Chris Ballard would?    It wouldn’t be a very Ballard-like thing for him to do. 
 

And here we are. 

For me I think it’s very Ballard like.  He has already traded a 1st rd pick and potentially another future 1st rd pick for players.  There is no reason to think he wouldn’t do it again.   So I guess we agree to disagree.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

For me I think it’s very Ballard like.  He has already traded a 1st rd pick and potentially another future 1st rd pick for players.  There is no reason to think he wouldn’t do it again.   So I guess we agree to disagree.  

Yeah...   no reason?

 

The players he traded a 1st for were Buckner, who was 25/26 and Wentz who was 28.   Not for Julio is 32.  And he made those deals in March, not June, when there is much less money.    And he’s now looking to do long-term deals with his 2018 class. 
 

There are all sorts of reasons.  You just choose to pretend they don’t exist.  By the way, you’re not alone, there are a number of other posters who think like you.  Yours is a popular view with a certain segment of  our community.  I’m just not one of them. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say this. The colts roster is in a very good spot. They are young and have a nice mix of depth and stars. Although this would be very un Ballard like they could probably go into the draft not needing any high picks. We really don’t need a lot of draft picks right now 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I will say this. The colts roster is in a very good spot. They are young and have a nice mix of depth and stars. Although this would be very un Ballard like they could probably go into the draft not needing any high picks. We really don’t need a lot of draft picks right now 

Very very true.  We really don’t need a lot of picks right now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My two cents that won't be worth much.

 

The Colts DO need a true number one WR. With that said I personally wouldn't be opposed to Julio and the reason is that although you give up something (whatever that might be) for a 32 year old WR, it shows that the Colts REALLY do believe they can and will win NOW or within a window of 2 years if Jones comes aboard.  Could be 3 years but I think I heard the third year of Jones contract could be wiped away. IDK, that might be wrong.

 

If it was me though, and it's not, but if I were the colts and they were potentially thinking about offering a future 1st or 2nd for a stud WR, I think I would throw a second and a 4th or whatever offer at Cleveland first to see if they would move OBJ...

 

Most on here would say he's a cancer but he's not. He is a stud and he's younger than Jones. I think in this situation, this locker room, these players, Beckham would be just fine and then we'd be set on offense. 

 

If it's Julio though and the Colts do pull it, I won't be upset. Julio will though because I'm sure Pittman ain't coming off 11 for him when he didn't for Wentz...haha

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Shive locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...