Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts & Chargers Favored to Get Julio Jones If Traded (merge)

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Julio would be a game changer for this offense...

He'd be the #1 we've been needing and he's missed 9 games in the last 7 years, it's not an issue

Not to mention he's still very very good and his age shouldn't be an issue because of the player he is

I think it's insane people think he's washed up and over his prime when's he still an elite receiver in the league. He's better than everyone that we have in the receiving core

He had more yards than every Colts receiver had and he did it in 7 less games...

Not sure why everyone is against it, you want to get Wentz some true help, send a package for Jones

I'm picking over a top 5 WR over betting on a rookie and an injury prone Campbell

The only issue that anybody should bring up is how much would it take to get him

2 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

Apparently these guys don't know who Ballard is.

Really?  I think they know Ballard is the GM who traded for a benched and so called broken down QB in Carson Wentz in an attempt to win a SB this year.  They know he is the same GM who signed a seriously injured FA LT in an attempt to win a SB this year.  They know he is the same GM who resigned an oft injured 31 year old TY in an attempt to win a SB this year.  What they do know is Ballard is not afraid to take risks when he feels that player can help him win a SB.  And Julio could definitely help him win a SB this year.  Not saying it’s going to happen but I think it would be a brilliant move if he did it.  And it’s more Ballard like than people realize.  And those guys know it.

2 hours ago, RNGDShobby said:

I don't understand why.
I don't see the need.
I don't believe we can afford him.
I don't believe Ballard would give up the capital for a 32 year old that missed 7 games last year.

Agreed

Its cool to speculate, but

This screams NOT A BALLARD MOVE

First of all if you want your young WR to develop this isn’t the way to do it. You don’t take away playing time from the young guys. No I do not think he is the missing piece to the SB. Getting pass rush and pressure on the opposing QB is what will win a SB. I like our WR group and offensive weapons.. Add in Reich’s ability to scheme players open we are fine. With the RB we have its going to make them even better with Wentz being able to stretch the field.

12 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

First of all if you want your young WR to develop this isn’t the way to do it. You don’t take away playing time from the young guys. No I do not think he is the missing piece to the SB. Getting pass rush and pressure on the opposing QB is what will win a SB. I like our WR group and offensive weapons.. Add in Reich’s ability to scheme players open we are fine. With the RB we have its going to make them even better with Wentz being able to stretch the field.

Bringing in one of the best WRs of the last decade who also happens to still be a Top 5 WR in the league doesn't negate development of young talent....

We've needed a player like Julio for years...

And Wentz is still an unknown

Financially and in terms of the capital we have to offer Atlanta, the Julio to Indy thing makes no sense whatsoever. If we could do it, I'd have no problem with it because he's a piece that could help us put us over the top, but there's no way this will materialize. 

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

we have young talented cheap wrs who will be amazing this year .  with ty hilton , pascal , parris , pittman .  plus players who have so much talent and will be good such as patmon , harris , strachan , and vaugn .  we are set at wr lets develop our own young guys instead of being like grigson picking up old past their prime veterans and giving them big money .

TY and The P's come out with their new album September 12th

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

This is ridiculous. This is no way a Ballard move. We can’t afford it and we don’t have the draft capital after the Wentz trade next year. Vegas doesn’t know Ballard. Ballard probably laughs when he hears things like this.

Per Pat McAfee, Ballard responded with a laughing emoji

4 hours ago, RNGDShobby said:

I don't understand why.
I don't see the need.
I don't believe we can afford him.
I don't believe Ballard would give up the capital for a 32 year old that missed 7 games last year.

I doubt he comes here....however......I do see a need. Hilton on the way out. Pittman hasn't proven anything and Campbell can't stay healthy

42 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

Financially and in terms of the capital we have to offer Atlanta, the Julio to Indy thing makes no sense whatsoever. If we could do it, I'd have no problem with it because he's a piece that could help us put us over the top, but there's no way this will materialize. 

Exactly. Anyone watching how the Colts have been maneuvering within the Cap can see they are setting up to sign their own. And to shell out in a big way doing it. They will have enough trouble finding the money for their new LT (if Fisher pans out) after paying Smith Q and the Maniac. Not to mention Hines. The money isn’t there for Julio. 

I'd be cool with it under certain metrics. Namely, that it's not a high pick that's going out the door. Beyond that, one of the sillier arguments is that he couldn't be fit under the cap.. There's all kinds of ways to manipulate that and I don't think it'd take much to make it work, given that the team always rolls over lot's of space every year under Ballard. I'm not claiming to know anything specific beyond I know it's bogus that he couldn't fit. The handicappers wouldn't overlook that, they're better at this than we are.

Funny most of you are saying he's washed. Even at his current age, Julio is better than every WR that we currently have on the roster right now and those are facts. I wouldn't signed him to a long term contract but I would definitely love to have him for a year or two.

15 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Exactly. Anyone watching how the Colts have been maneuvering within the Cap can see they are setting up to sign their own. And to shell out in a big way doing it. They will have enough trouble finding the money for their new LT (if Fisher pans out) after paying Smith Q and the Maniac. Not to mention Hines. The money isn’t there for Julio. 

Anyone watching how the Colts have been maneuvering within the Cap can see they are doing everything they can to try and win a SB this year.  And to shell out in a big way doing it.  And they are most assuredly not done.  Do they plan on extending a few players?  Sure.  But if you think they are planning on extending ALL of our own good players is just wishful thinking.  Ballard’s job is to win SB’s.  That’s it. And he doesn’t have a decade to do it.  If I had the choice of Julio or Hines or Campbell this year I’m taking Julio.  I think a GM would as well.  I think he’s going to be traded. And the handicappers have a good idea on where he might land.  I’m hoping Ballard makes the move.

It's always amusing how excited this Forum is about our UDFA's and their measurables etc... and which  ones can make our 53 man roster or practice squad.The actual odds are against them making the team, and if one does his . is NO, NO, NO NO !!!   

:funny:

5 hours ago, tvturner said:

Julio would be a game changer for this offense...

He'd be the #1 we've been needing and he's missed 9 games in the last 7 years, it's not an issue

Not to mention he's still very very good and his age shouldn't be an issue because of the player he is

I think it's insane people think he's washed up and over his prime when's he still an elite receiver in the league. He's better than everyone that we have in the receiving core

He had more yards than every Colts receiver had and he did it in 7 less games...

Not sure why everyone is against it, you want to get Wentz some true help, send a package for Jones

I'm picking over a top 5 WR over betting on a rookie and an injury prone Campbell

The only issue that anybody should bring up is how much would it take to get him

Yep. I don’t get it either. Julio’s per game average last season was great. 

People should take a quick look at what other great WRs were able to accomplish at age 32-34 (the years that Julio is heading into). 

And AJ was 34 when the Colts signed him. For comparison's sake, he averaged 97 catches, 1,170+ yards over his age 32-33 seasons. 

Here are some other great WRs (some are familiar names) and what they averaged across age 32-34 (with postseason honors):

Reggie Wayne: 97 catches, 1,200+ yards (2x PB and 1x AP)

Marvin Harrison: 88 catches, 1,200+ yards, 13 TDs (3x PB and 1x AP)

Anquan Boldin: 78 catches, 1,054 yards

Larry Fitzgerald: 107 catches, 1,130+ yards (3x PB)

Cris Carter: 86 catches, 1,100+ yards, 13 TDs (3x PB and 1x AP)

Terrell Owens (age 33-35): 72 catches, 1,190+ yards (1x PB and 1x AP)

Steve Smith: 72 catches, 1,100+ yards (1x PB)

Julio definitely moves the needle in the passing offense. The only real issue is the draft capital, which is why I doubt Ballard would make the deal. But it would be great if the Colts could get him  (if the plan is to win the SB).

9 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

It's always amusing how excited this Forum is about our UDFA's and their measurables etc... and which  ones can make our 53 man roster or practice squad.The actual odds are against them making the team, and if one does his . is NO, NO, NO NO !!!   

A reminder.....

The Colts have the longest streak of seasons of having an undrafted free agent make the opening day roster in the entire NFL.  I believe it’s 20 straight years.  If I’m wrong on the number, it’s larger, not smaller. 

Most watchers of the franchise believe this will be the year that the record is broken.  This speaks to the good job that’s been done beefing up the roster. 

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

I'd be cool with it under certain metrics. Namely, that it's not a high pick that's going out the door. Beyond that, one of the sillier arguments is that he couldn't be fit under the cap.. There's all kinds of ways to manipulate that and I don't think it'd take much to make it work, given that the team always rolls over lot's of space every year under Ballard. I'm not claiming to know anything specific beyond I know it's bogus that he couldn't fit. The handicappers wouldn't overlook that, they're better at this than we are.

It’s quite easy. Just convert his $15M base salary next season into a signing bonus that prorates through the next 3 years (the duration of his contract). 

Here’s what cap hit would look like:

2021: ~$5.1M
2022: ~$16.6M ($12.2M dead cap hit)

2023: ~$16.6M ($5.1M dead cap hit)

If Julio didn’t request a new deal, that would be a very manageable contract. 

• Nadine changed the title to Colts & Chargers Favored to Get Julio Jones If Traded (merge)
7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A reminder.....

The Colts have the longest streak of seasons of having an undrafted free agent make the opening day roster in the entire NFL.  I believe it’s 20 straight years.  If I’m wrong on the number, it’s larger, not smaller. 

Most watchers of the franchise believe this will be the year that the record is broken.  This speaks to the good job that’s been done beefing up the roster. 

Haha. Im not trying to be a smart elic but you are definitely wrong and the number is definitely not longer. Hot Rod was the best kicker in the league last year and was UDFA. Also Skai Moore started the first game in 2018 and got hurt and never played again but he did make the opening day roster

1 hour ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

Haha. Im not trying to be a smart elic but you are definitely wrong and the number is definitely not longer. Hot Rod was the best kicker in the league last year and was UDFA. Also Skai Moore started the first game in 2018 and got hurt and never played again but he did make the opening day roster

It's actually been 22 years.

Hot Rod was pretty good...but not the best kicker in the NFL last year.  He is actually going to be competing for his job next year. Needs to get stronger from 50+.

8 hours ago, shasta519 said:

It’s quite easy. Just convert his $15M base salary next season into a signing bonus that prorates through the next 3 years (the duration of his contract). 

I think this is exactly what I think the Colts would do if they traded for Jones.  And why the cap is not an issue.  The issue is the trade compensation.  If Ballard can figure that out we have a deal and that's why the Colts are considered a top landing spot.  He is good at making trades work for both teams.  I think having Julio on the Colts with Wentz as his QB would be a nightmare for our opponents and would most likely make us co favorites in the AFC along with the Chiefs.  

12 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Anyone watching how the Colts have been maneuvering within the Cap can see they are doing everything they can to try and win a SB this year.  And to shell out in a big way doing it.  And they are most assuredly not done.  Do they plan on extending a few players?  Sure.  But if you think they are planning on extending ALL of our own good players is just wishful thinking.  Ballard’s job is to win SB’s.  That’s it. And he doesn’t have a decade to do it.  If I had the choice of Julio or Hines or Campbell this year I’m taking Julio.  I think a GM would as well.  I think he’s going to be traded. And the handicappers have a good idea on where he might land.  I’m hoping Ballard makes the move.

Or, Ballard's job is to build a winning team and hope at some point it can compete for a SB. I'll go with this.
  I thought he was doing his best to replace his QB, LT, and his 2 defensive ends. All really big losses for any team. After that, any team would hope to have a winning record. Winning the division under those circumstances would be a great accomplishment.
 If he could swap TY out in the deal that would be a deal really worth considering. Maybe a 3 team deal. 

10 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I'm going to edit this because when I did it it was late and I was dozing off lol. 

It's always amusing how excited this Forum is about our UDFA's and their measurables etc... and which  ones can actually make our 53 man roster or practice squad.The actual odds are against them making the team, and if one does his production/impact is minimal. 

But when a QUALITY/STAR player is AVAILABLE the response here is almost always and overwhelmingly NO, NO, NO and NO!

Some posters are so opposed to it, they respond over and over saying the same thing. haha

Now let's talk about those UDFA's that will take us to the super bowl, the ones that were passed up in each round by 32 GM's 7 times over. Lol

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A reminder.....

Yes I know, but if memory is right the only one had a impact was Dominick Rhodes.... anyway I edited my post since you quoted it as I was dozing off and kept dropping phone and couldn't finish it. Ahhhhhh,  if only I lived in a place where the time zone was like 3 hours earlier. :D

And btw, I am not against signing UDFA's and believe we should have more than 7 rounds of drafting. 

3 hours ago, tvturner said:

I didn't realize half the forum was close friends with Ballard and know his every thought

When Ballard arrived he made it known right away that he's thrifty.  So many on this board followed suit(showing their true colt fans), and Lord behold, they started running into him regularly at Dollar Tree. 

Anyway that's the rumor on the internet and if it's on internet it has to be true, right?   :funny:

18 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Yep. I don’t get it either. Julio’s per game average last season was great. 

People should take a quick look at what other great WRs were able to accomplish at age 32-34 (the years that Julio is heading into). 

And AJ was 34 when the Colts signed him. For comparison's sake, he averaged 97 catches, 1,170+ yards over his age 32-33 seasons. 

Here are some other great WRs (some are familiar names) and what they averaged across age 32-34 (with postseason honors):

Reggie Wayne: 97 catches, 1,200+ yards (2x PB and 1x AP)

Marvin Harrison: 88 catches, 1,200+ yards, 13 TDs (3x PB and 1x AP)

Anquan Boldin: 78 catches, 1,054 yards

Larry Fitzgerald: 107 catches, 1,130+ yards (3x PB)

Cris Carter: 86 catches, 1,100+ yards, 13 TDs (3x PB and 1x AP)

Terrell Owens (age 33-35): 72 catches, 1,190+ yards (1x PB and 1x AP)

Steve Smith: 72 catches, 1,100+ yards (1x PB)

Julio definitely moves the needle in the passing offense. The only real issue is the draft capital, which is why I doubt Ballard would make the deal. But it would be great if the Colts could get him  (if the plan is to win the SB).

Julio would definitely move the needle.  Look no further than what Diggs did for Josh  Allen last year.  Made him a star and turned the Bills into contenders.   A true WR1 for a strong armed QB like Allen.  That’s what Wentz needs too.  A proven difference maker at WR1.  

18 hours ago, shasta519 said:

This is a great breakdown and probably right in line with what CB would do, IF this were to happen.  Julio Jones is a generational talent (yes, I mean that) and still has a few good years in him.  If it were possible to land him, I would not be upset about it.  Do I believe it will happen?  I'd be surprised, actually.

22 hours ago, Ken S. said:

Funny most of you are saying he's washed. Even at his current age, Julio is better than every WR that we currently have on the roster right now and those are facts. I wouldn't signed him to a long term contract but I would definitely love to have him for a year or two.

Since your a 'new poster's you will need to learn that when the topic is about acquiring proven, talented players/stars, Facts are often frowned upon here....especially on offensive skilled players.  :funny:

Btw, welcome to the forum. :applause:

On 5/23/2021 at 8:11 PM, Wentzszn said:

If you want to continue to have a practice squad receiving corps after the initial band of first string corps becomes that just corps, you better have proven talent!  If TY goes down for any period of time like he usually does, we are in trouble counting on PC or MPJ to be a true #1 wr for Carson Wentz.  If anything, signing Julio adds proven depth in case any of the above scenarios plays out, which they will.  Indy's biggest problem in last 3 yrs has been the lack of a true #1 presence and many times looked like a practice squad wr corps vs the rest of the NFL.  It's time CB actually goes for it in terms of taking a gamble at this position that has been lacking for way too long.  

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Julio would definitely move the needle.  Look no further than what Diggs did for Josh  Allen last year.  Made him a star and turned the Bills into contenders.   A true WR1 for a strong armed QB like Allen.  That’s what Wentz needs too.  A proven difference maker at WR1.  

Been beating this drum for a while.

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Been beating this drum for a while.

Keep beating this drum because it is so true on so many levels.  You MUST have a #1 option that is not injury prone or has a loss of heart for the game and Julio Jones at 32 gives us that best option!!!  Naysayers want to argue?  Julio Jones stats vs TY, MPJ, PC, ZP or any other practice squad player we been putting out there in the last 3 yrs??  I'll WAIT!!!

Archived