Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts & Chargers Favored to Get Julio Jones If Traded (merge)


Recommended Posts

ESPN's Michael Rothstein reports the Colts could be among potential trade partners for Julio Jones. 

Rothstein said the 49ers, Patriots, and Raiders could also be in the mix for Julio if the Falcons make the agonizing decision to part ways with their longtime franchise cornerstone. Colts general manager Chris Ballard's willingness to engage in blockbuster trade talks and Indy's salary cap space -- around $21.5 million -- leave the Colts as a favorite to land Jones, 32, if they're willing to part with valuable 2022 draft picks. A healthy Jones would prove a marked upgrade for Carson Wentz and a Colts' receiver group led by fading veteran T.Y. Hilton. Jones has a $23 million cap hit in 2021 and a $20 million hit the following two years. New Atlanta general manager Terry Fontenot has pointedly not shot down Julio trade rumors, saying in April that the Falcons will "answer calls on any players." “When teams ask about players, we have to answer those calls and we have to listen because we do have to, we knew when we stepped into this we were going to have to make some tough decisions because it is just the reality of it," Fontenot added. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

This sounds like the most anti-Ballard move possible

 

Yeah and the poster quotes us having 21 million in cap space. That was BEFORE we signed  Fisher. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This info was all just posted today on rotoworld after the Fisher signing. Do I expect this to happen? Not at all. Did I think it was interesting and something I’d like to see? Sure. 
 

Don’t shoot the messenger, folks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Not gonna happen unless they take Wilkins back in a trade (instead of draft picks) and pay half of Julio's salary the next 3 years......

They wouldn't be the first team to do a creative deal where the team trading the player pays some of the salary.  You wouldn't think Ballard would go there but no one saw the Buckner trade either.  If we were in win now mode with Rivers I am certain nothing has changed with the addition of Wentz.  I would think waiting for Ertz to be released is the more likely next move.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Indyfan4life said:

This info was all just posted today on rotoworld after the Fisher signing. Do I expect this to happen? Not at all. Did I think it was interesting and something I’d like to see? Sure. 
 

Don’t shoot the messenger, folks. 

get out of here saturday night live GIF by Dianna McDougall

 

Jk... jk

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Indyfan4life said:

This info was all just posted today on rotoworld after the Fisher signing. Do I expect this to happen? Not at all. Did I think it was interesting and something I’d like to see? Sure. 
 

Don’t shoot the messenger, folks. 

On You Fault GIF

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

They wouldn't be the first team to do a creative deal where the team trading the player pays some of the salary.  You wouldn't think Ballard would go there but no one saw the Buckner trade either.  If we were in win now mode with Rivers I am certain nothing has changed with the addition of Wentz.  I would think waiting for Ertz to be released is the more likely next move.  

Ertz would be nice as would Julio.....just don't think they are likely to happen anymore and Julio was never going to happen as that is just the press stirring the pot.  We already brought and aging TY back on a 1-Year deal that will likely stunt the growth of the young guys they drafted for Veteran leadership in the WR Room. We shall see, stranger things have happened.....like Paye dropping to us at 21!!!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could this happen?   Sure, but not without a long list of contractual gymnastics and unique compensation.  So, the likelihood of this happening is so small as to be the longest of long shots.
 

And those here who have wisely noted this is so NOT a Ballard-like deal are 100 percent correct!   Take on THAT contract, plus give up draft pick(s) for a once premium player on the downside of his career?!?   Yeah, no.  Just no. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

This info was all just posted today on rotoworld after the Fisher signing. Do I expect this to happen? Not at all. Did I think it was interesting and something I’d like to see? Sure. 
 

Don’t shoot the messenger, folks. 

 

 

No offense but you posted a really silly report. You didn't know the Colts signed Fisher this morning when you posted that ? It's a really silly report by Rothstien and I can't imagine how anyone would find that at all "interesting ."  For one thing , he does not say "they are the favorite" as you state and secondly we don't have 21 million and thirdly Ballard would never ever , ever sign Jones to a huge contract while needing to extend Smith , Leonard and Nelson . Also we have never seen Ballard make that kind od signing even when we were fish with 10's of millions in cap room. I know your not responsible for that nonsense but why post it ?

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dw49 said:

 

 

No offense but you posted a really silly report. You didn't know the Colts signed Fisher this morning when you posted that ? It's a really silly report by Rothstien and I can't imagine how anyone would find that at all "interesting ."  For one thing , he does not say "they are the favorite" as you state and secondly we don't have 21 million and thirdly Ballard would never ever , ever sign Jones to a huge contract while needing to extend Smith , Leonard and Nelson . Also we have never seen Ballard make that kind od signing even when we were fish with 10's of millions in cap room. I know your not responsible for that nonsense but why post it ?

How did I not know that Fisher had been signed when I posted that? The article was posted today on rotoworld, and when was Fisher signed again? Go check rotoworld for yourself. I didn’t label them as the favorites, they did. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

How did I not know that Fisher had been signed when I posted that? The article was posted today on rotoworld, and when was Fisher signed again? Go check rotoworld for yourself. I didn’t label them as the favorites, they did. 

 

Yes .. thats what I inferred ... you knew the Colts had signed Fisher and used 10 mill of the 21 mill cap that Rothstein said the Colts had. I did not say you claim we are the favorites to sign Jones . What I said is you should have known that was a ridiculous assertion by Rothstein . You posted a thread that said "The Colts are the favorites to land Julio Jones . Then you post the article that is statically and logically wrong. What don't you get about me saying you should not have entered that thread and then back it up quoting some * that said we had twice the cap room that we had. Again , my point is you knew we had signed Fisher when you posted this silly thread and it is a ridiculous thread . The Colts are "not the favorite " to trade for Julio Jones . It's just so stupid. If anything , they are probably close to the LEAST likely team to trade for Julio Jones.  Not for nothing and you can keep making threads like that if you like , but you should judge your source a bit before you boldly tell us we are the favorites to land Julio Jones . Your source is erroneous and has ZERO basis to even mention the Colts as a team interested in Jones. 

1) We have little draft capital considering most likely a 1st goes to Philly.
2) We don't have the cap room to pay him without restructuring a bunch of money.
3) Ballard would never wreck his cap and send young players or draft capital for an aging WR. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, dw49 said:

 

Yes .. thats what I inferred ... you knew the Colts had signed Fisher and used 10 mill of the 21 mill cap that Rothstein said the Colts had. I did not say you claim we are the favorites to sign Jones . What I said is you should have known that was a ridiculous assertion by Rothstein . You posted a thread that said "The Colts are the favorites to land Julio Jones . Then you post the article that is statically and logically wrong. What don't you get about me saying you should not have entered that thread and then back it up quoting some * that said we had twice the cap room that we had. Again , my point is you knew we had signed Fisher when you posted this silly thread and it is a ridiculous thread . The Colts are "not the favorite " to trade for Julio Jones . It's just so stupid. If anything , they are probably close to the LEAST likely team to trade for Julio Jones.  Not for nothing and you can keep making threads like that if you like , but you should judge your source a bit before you boldly tell us we are the favorites to land Julio Jones . Your source is erroneous and has ZERO basis to even mention the Colts as a team interested in Jones. 

1) We have little draft capital considering most likely a 1st goes to Philly.
2) We don't have the cap room to pay him without restructuring a bunch of money.
3) Ballard would never wreck his cap and send young players or draft capital for an aging WR. 

Good lord. I simply posted an article from rotoworld. If you don’t like it then let them know you disagree with the people who are usually correct with the info they receive. I wasn’t aware I would be told I was wrong for posting an article from a highly reputable site. You seriously need to relax. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, stitches said:

It's like those reporters and "insiders" have been in a coma for the last 4-5 years and have never seen how Ballard operates. :dunno:

First off, I would be VERY surprised if we made a play for Julio.  Aging WRs tend to slump in many cases

 

Nice Jersey in your picture stitches

 

I was impressed with Paye well before the draft and to listen to his (and his mothers) "American Dream" story

 

He is a class act

 

I may actually break down and buy a 51 Jersey to wear to games (The few I get to go to) 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

ESPN's Michael Rothstein reports the Colts could be among potential trade partners for Julio Jones. 

Rothstein said the 49ers, Patriots, and Raiders could also be in the mix for Julio if the Falcons make the agonizing decision to part ways with their longtime franchise cornerstone. Colts general manager Chris Ballard's willingness to engage in blockbuster trade talks and Indy's salary cap space -- around $21.5 million -- leave the Colts as a favorite to land Jones, 32, if they're willing to part with valuable 2022 draft picks. A healthy Jones would prove a marked upgrade for Carson Wentz and a Colts' receiver group led by fading veteran T.Y. Hilton. Jones has a $23 million cap hit in 2021 and a $20 million hit the following two years. New Atlanta general manager Terry Fontenot has pointedly not shot down Julio trade rumors, saying in April that the Falcons will "answer calls on any players." “When teams ask about players, we have to answer those calls and we have to listen because we do have to, we knew when we stepped into this we were going to have to make some tough decisions because it is just the reality of it," Fontenot added. 

 

 You should correct the header.

I say make them take TY, Patmon, Banogu,  and next year's comp picks, and give us some $millions to pay him.

 Woot woot!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Shive changed the title to Colts speculated as the favorites to land Julio Jones
5 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Good lord. I simply posted an article from rotoworld. If you don’t like it then let them know you disagree with the people who are usually correct with the info they receive. I wasn’t aware I would be told I was wrong for posting an article from a highly reputable site. You seriously need to relax. 

 

All I did originally was let you know the article was nonsense due to the fact that the author did not subtract the 10 million for Fisher from our 21 mill cap money. You from there made issue of  me bringing that up . Point is it's up to you to either look at what your posting to see if it makes sense or just make up a bad title for the thread (which you have fixed) and post the inaccurate article. I simply was letting you know you have a ridiculous thread . Nothing for me to relax about as I let you know and end of story.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, dw49 said:

 

All I did originally was let you know the article was nonsense due to the fact that the author did not subtract the 10 million for Fisher from our 21 mill cap money. You from there made issue of  me bringing that up . Point is it's up to you to either look at what your posting to see if it makes sense or just make up a bad title for the thread (which you have fixed) and post the inaccurate article. I simply was letting you know you have a ridiculous thread . Nothing for me to relax about as I let you know and end of story.

Yes. I posted an inaccurate article by copy and pasting word for word what Rotoworld posted. I'm done talking to you about this. It's obvious you can't comprehend the post and WHY it was posted as news by them. It's end of the story now because, well, I don't feel like dealing with you anymore. No wonder you're at 10K posts and have less rep than me. You're not worth the time I've spent responding to you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it came down to it, who would you guys rather have Ertz or Julio? Ertz is about 2 years younger than Julio and wouldn't require us to take on a significant amount of money or give up draft compensation. I bet the people who write these articles didn't know we most likely won't have a 1st round pick next year and would have to give up valuable draft picks. Ballard wouldn't even entertain this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Yes. I posted an inaccurate article by copy and pasting word for word what Rotoworld posted. I'm done talking to you about this. It's obvious you can't comprehend the post and WHY it was posted as news by them. It's end of the story now because, well, I don't feel like dealing with you anymore. No wonder you're at 10K posts and have less rep than me. You're not worth the time I've spent responding to you.

 

I can't comprehend the post ? , you really are ridiculous  . The article is totally insane as the Colts are not a favorite to trade for Julio Jones. It's absurd , we have not the cap room and not the draft capital .  I'm also done wasting my time explaining to you why you should think a bit before posting something like "The Colts are the favorite to sign Julio Jones." It's an inaccurate , ridiculous thread to put out there . 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/12/2021 at 7:49 AM, throwing BBZ said:

 

 You should correct the header.

I say make them take TY, Patmon, Banogu,  and next year's comp picks, and give us some $millions to pay him.

 Woot woot!

Was going nto post the same thing but instead on Patman I had Wilkins. Lets include all four if they want.:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Today BR is suggesting we trade for Jones giving up a 22 3rd and a 23 2nd.  

I seriously doubt Ballard would offer a 2nd OR a 3rd for Jones.   Not at his age and stage and especially that contract.

 

I think the odds would approach zero.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/12/2021 at 7:54 AM, ColtJax said:

Yea, we have Cap space, if we don't want to sign Léonard and Smith this year.. 

Actually, we don’t have the cap space for Julio Jones unless he redoes his contract which he’s not likely to do. 
 

He’s got a $23 mill cap hit and a dead cap number if over $40 mill.   And the numbers only get modestly better next year.   Plus he’s now 32 years old.   And in top of all that, Atlanta would want draft picks?   Not happening for the Colts.
 

Jones is the right guy but at the wrong time and place.   

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"if they're willing to part with valuable 2022 draft picks"

 

therein lies the rub, the Colts have no valuable 2022 picks to trade. the 1st/2nd round 2022 picks are tied up with the Wentz deal, unless Atlanta would be willing to make it contingent with a pick in 2023

 

I don't see Atlanta doing it. if they were going that route, they would have traded Ryan, taken a qb at 4, etc.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Nadine changed the title to Colts & Chargers Favored to Get Julio Jones If Traded (merge)
  • Shive locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Which I think is a shame because I think him moving to LT would extend his career due to that the move to LT would require him to lose some weight which would help his back. Although I do think Fisher will improve throughout the season and we may be able to resign him below market value this offseason. Some might not be happy with that but a full offseason to focus on regaining strength and I believe Fisher will be a lot closer to his former self
    • I liked the trade when it happened, my eagles fan brother told me he was mad they traded wentz because he wasn't the problem, and now I like it even more. Wentz has been playing smart football and has been playing fantastic. Honestly I think people are overvaluing the 1st round pick that we will lose and the price of a 1st and a 3rd for a franchise QB is easily worth it as some teams pay multiple 1st rounders for a rookie QB that doesn't pan out.
    • Spitball prediction here.  Fisher recovers nicely just as Ballard thought he would.  After the season he extends Fisher for four years and he is our LT for those years.  After all he is only 30 years old.  Tackles can easily play into their late 30's.  His contract will be a nice one but not as much as Q's.  So I think he will put the franchise tag on Q.  The one where we get a 1st rd pick if he signs with another team.  He signs with another team and we get the pick to replace the one lost to the Eagles.  We sign Reed to an extension to take Q's spot.  Pryor is resigned as well as Glowinski.  Ballard will then trade our 1st or 2nd pick for a starting CB or WR to take either Rhodes or TY's spot.  Ballard signs a FA WR or CB to take the spot for the other position not covered in the trade.  I think this scenario is very possible if Fisher recovers as expected.  If Fisher doesn't recover adequately then Q would get the big contract and move to LT, maybe.   Just me spitballing early in the season. 
    • Ballard and Fisher probably know each other from KC, I have not heard either say much about that though 
  • Members

    • ar7

      ar7 383

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jimmy g

      jimmy g 414

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • teganslaw

      teganslaw 557

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Zoltan

      Zoltan 1,109

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Blueblood23

      Blueblood23 420

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • BlackTiger

      BlackTiger 267

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltsfan77

      coltsfan77 37

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • indyagent17

      indyagent17 951

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • holeymoley99

      holeymoley99 880

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Solon

      Solon 109

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...