Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fisher Signing 1 Year Deal

TomDiggs

2 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

yes i was but this forum convinced me that ballard ranks with the elite gms

So less than a week ago, the Colts were an 8 win team in your mind. Today, you've seen the error of your ways and believe in Ballard?

Okay. 

Just as a comparison, I said last week that I wasn't thrilled with the idea of adding Fisher, and I'm saying the same thing today. How I feel about Chris Ballard -- he's a good GM, and it's time for him to prove whether he's a great GM -- has not changed since last week. 

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Shive said:

I literally just said money isn't the risk here.

Essentially we are saying that we are ok with starting Tevi all season long and if by some chance Fisher is back and ready to play, we'll get higher level LT play for a portion of the season.

A positive is that if Fisher comes back and is still able to play at a high level, we might be able to parlay that into a multi year deal and have LT locked up for another 2-3 years.

Yep this is what I meant by a insurance policy. I don’t think we can afford Fisher if he comes back and plays well.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

So don’t sign anyone and make  Tevi play 16 games? They must feel good he will come back and not miss many games.

Leno seems like the safer option.   That's what I said in the beginning.   I defer to Ballard and co though.   Hope for the best

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Leno seems like the safer option.   That's what I said in the beginning.   I defer to Ballard and co though.   Hope for the best

I think it’s clear Ballard did not think Leno was a upgrade over Tevi. Holder said on JMV today He was told Leno would of been cheaper then Fisher and Strausser was willing to sign off.  

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The debate is in where Leno actually ranks among LT'S?  Grades are one thing but actual tape tells another story IMO.  Most can discount the fact that he was a salary cap cut but I don't buy that in any sense especially at the LT position.  You simply don't cut a good player at a crucial position unless you think he is not worthy of the salary.  

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I think it’s clear Ballard did not think Leno was a upgrade over Tevi. Holder said on JMV today He was told Leno would of been cheaper then Fisher and Strausser was willing to sign off.  

Finally, this Colts staff went with the more expensive option vs the Dollar General special!!!  Things are turning around for sure.

40 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

A couple 3rd round picks that didn't get a 2nd contract yay I'm glad Mahomes is fine with that!  If our Colts are not the #1 threat to the Chiefs, who is?  Buffalo?  Tennessee?  Baltimore?  We went into the playoffs w/o a LT and the WORST coaching experience in the history of the NFL, missed kicks (AGAIN) but somehow still had the game in our hands to the very end only to be defeated from everything already mentioned.  No Turray = NO pass rush no matter how many ALL PROS we have in Buckner or Leonard just doesn't matter unless we get to the QB and we clearly did not.  This staff took notice and that is why they invested our first 2 picks on DL pass rushers no matter the cost.  This staff had a clear cut back up plan if the draft didn't offer our #1 need in LT and they addressed it by a former #1 overall pick that should be healthy come OCT.  A steal in my book and finally this staff went after the big fish on the market vs what many here call CAMP FODDER.  Project this team come Jan and I think you will be happy with the outcome.  30yrs old is nothing vs all other options.

Bills, Ravens, and Browns will all be top 10ish in the power rankings. Not saying we aren't a threat, but our D has a lot of questions by itself, then you've got plenty of questions on O starting with the new QB. It's nice being optimistic about all of our questions, but there are a lot of them.

It'll be great if Fisher works out, all the other questions are solved, and we're peaking late in the year. But right now, Fisher is a huge question mark to add to the rest.

On the playoffs last year. Yes, some questionable coaching. We still have the same coach. We did have sack production though. Autry and Houston both played well that game and IIRC combined for at least 2 sacks. We hit the QB rather well that game. And we're without both those guys. It's nice to think Paye will step in and do as well, I hope he does. Dayo likely won't be a big impact this year. And our LT, Veldheer, played pretty well. 

I believe the goal is to get Fisher to as close to as 100% as possible for the stretch run. Also sounds like Reich had a big say in getting Fisher. This is a make or break season for him IMO. He has his guys that he wanted in Wentz and Fisher now he has to prove he can fix / win with them. Honestly could go either way but you can’t deny the potential is there for something special. Also the potential for a massive disaster.  I think if we get 13 regular seasons games out of Fisher it’s a win. Anything under that could get messy.  

45 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

The Mack comment was just to point out it was 3 with achilles, not two.  It had no other connection with Dayo or Fisher.

I’m looking at it this way.  Ballard has been working this since FA... really before that.  FA didnt pan out for a starter at LT  which happens.  But we may have the beat depth this year than we’ve had for a long time.  And ALL across the line.  So then  The draft fell the way it did.  I can understand that.  Meanwhile Ballrd has still been working it.  Fisher?  Leno?   The history he has is a good thing.  It always is.  You know them better, in all ways.  
  Ballard felt “good enuff” to take the risk, cuz if it hits...... bang!   
And i have a feeling Ballard is gonna still be looking to improve our “plan B” if Fisher is slow to return.  Cuts will offer some help as well I’m sure.  I’m not sure Fisher is the last addition/change to the OL mix.

Just having Him in the building could help at the position as well.  Lots of knowledge , vet leadership, and dudes respect him.

Who knows what could happen, bit I’m more comfortable today than yesterday about the LT position. Hoping for the best.

Hope it works out. I personally would have preferred Leno on a longer deal. 

I'm better / more comfortable today than yesterday too, but still, lots of questions. 

But yes, if it hits, bang! Will look great! If not, it's going to look bad. 

I agree our depth is likely better. And we have options of moving folks around if needed as well.

7 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Finally, this Colts staff went with the more expensive option vs the Dollar General special!!!  Things are turning around for sure.

And our resident GM’s here think 9.4m is too much.  Our frugal GM is being criticized     for a 9.4m contract.  How did he come up with 9.4m?  Not 10m but 9.4m.  The GM who comes up with a number and draws a line in the sand and they think he has now over paid for Fisher.  Unbelievable.  Thank god we have Ballard making these decisions.  I can now turn in knowing we have our LT issue in excellent hands.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

And our resident GM’s here think 9.4m is too much.  Our frugal GM is being criticized     for a 9.4m contract.  How did he come up with 9.4m?  Not 10m but 9.4m.  The GM who comes up with a number and draws a line in the sand and they think he has now over paid for Fisher.  Unbelievable.  Thank god we have Ballard making these decisions.  I can now turn in knowing we have our LT issue in excellent hands.

9.4 isn't too much. He was projected by most reports to get a 2 year 20M deal (10M a year). 1 year at near that figure is just strange given his injury and decent probability he won't be ready in September. I'm torn a bit on the one year duration. At the end of the day though, it's only a one year fix at best right now even if he does recover well.

Rookie LTs, even the highest drafted ones usually have a pretty rough learning curve.

I bet Tevi can do a good enough job on this line.

The Fisher signing could be an absolute bargain, but even if he can’t play, we should be OK.  The oline will at the least be really good.  

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

9.4 isn't too much. He was projected by most reports to get a 2 year 20M deal (10M a year). 1 year at near that figure is just strange given his injury and decent probability he won't be ready in September. I'm torn a bit on the one year duration. At the end of the day though, it's only a one year fix at best right now even if he does recover well.

I don’t see the future at LT.  Next year’s 2nd?

39 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Bills, Ravens, and Browns will all be top 10ish in the power rankings. Not saying we aren't a threat, but our D has a lot of questions by itself, then you've got plenty of questions on O starting with the new QB. It's nice being optimistic about all of our questions, but there are a lot of them.

It'll be great if Fisher works out, all the other questions are solved, and we're peaking late in the year. But right now, Fisher is a huge question mark to add to the rest.

On the playoffs last year. Yes, some questionable coaching. We still have the same coach. We did have sack production though. Autry and Houston both played well that game and IIRC combined for at least 2 sacks. We hit the QB rather well that game. And we're without both those guys. It's nice to think Paye will step in and do as well, I hope he does. Dayo likely won't be a big impact this year. And our LT, Veldheer, played pretty well. 

For what it's worth I expect this Colts team to be a top 10 team too as we have a top 5 OL (even without a LT), a top 3 RB and what I think a top 5 Defense with our first 2 picks in the 2021 draft.  I understand the negativity of Wentz as our starting QB but any qb is as good as his supporting cast and the Eagles the last 3 yrs were atrocious to say the least.  He's an MVP caliber player at the position and I believe Jonathon Taylor is about to take the league by storm, much like Henry did with the Titans as their numbers are so scary similar.  Wentz wont be asked to be a superhero like this team did with Rivers (No #1 wr and no ground threat for 3/4 of the season) and I hope this offensive staff sees what they have in Taylor as a top 2 back in the league and a real workhorse!  I feel that this team finally has a true #1 wr in Pittman to pair with a legit #2 veteran in Hilton to go along with Pascal and a number of 6'3 6th rd + hopefuls.  I didn't even mention Parris Campbell because he is so raw he doesn't know how to protect himself from falling or contact to prevent injury.  Fool me once or twice shame on me but a 3rd time, shame on you!  Very intrigued with the Granson kid as he looks like a Darren Waller type mismatch nightmare and all I need to know is the reaction from Coach Reich that he actually got HIS GUY in this draft.  You could tell by his reaction to the pick that this was his heart and soul of the 2021 draft.  Improved Defense, Improved Offense and what were all hoping is Improved coaching in critical games could = the #1 spot in the AFC.  Just like the coaching staff, these additions need to prove themselves first before we reach all our lofty goals but I like the fact we have a legit opportunity to be #1.  We have no weaknesses at any position which is crazy in todays NFL. 

#inballardwetrust

I just read through all the posts that have been made since this afternoon after I logged off earlier. There are a lot. It is a wait and see game in reality to when Fisher will be back. I have been reading so many different things and I don't have much of an idea because I don't have access to talking with him or his doctors. Just based on what I have read by what the media and doctors are saying and the type of injury he has, I will take a guess and say he's back by October. It is just a guess, so that would have him playing 3/4 of the season = 12 or 13 games. I will take that. We addressed an area of huge need with a great player when he's healthy for really cheap at 9.4 Mill. That is cheap for a player of his caliber. Everyone should be happy with this IMO, I get the concerns though because an Achilles is a bad injury. Remember Ballard has access to talking with his doctors and Fisher, so I still say he would've never signed Fisher if he thought there was a good chance that Fisher would miss the season.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We addressed an area of huge need with a great player when he's healthy for really cheap at 9.4 Mill. That is cheap for a player of his caliber. Everyone should be happy with this IMO,

EXACTLY, this team is built to win championships NOW and adding great talent vs adding mediocre talent that ultimately will not help us get over the top is savy!!!  We have a top 5 team as is and can withstand the first 4 games if necessary with Tevi as our LT.  9.4 Mill for a top LT is a STEAL and I don't care when he suits up as long as he does IMO.  Think about that for a minute, 9.4 MIL!

2 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

EXACTLY, this team is built to win championships NOW and adding great talent vs adding mediocre talent that ultimately will not help us get over the top is savy!!!  We have a top 5 team as is and can withstand the first 4 games if necessary with Tevi as our LT.  9.4 Mill for a top LT is a STEAL and I don't care when he suits up as long as he does IMO.  Think about that for a minute, 9.4 MIL!

On paper I would say we are top 5 in the AFC or in that mix. You have KC who is really only clearly better. Then IMO it is a crapshoot between Bills, Ravens Titans, Browns, and Colts. We can beat any of the teams I mentioned in a 1 game situation, even KC is beatable but they are the King of the AFC. We had the Bills beat last season in the playoffs and made several mistakes, only lost by a FG so that showed me a lot. Now a lot depends on how well Wentz plays though because Rivers had a good season.

Very interesting team we're gonna have this year, however a lot of questions.

- Can Wentz return to form?

- Will Fisher be healthy enough to contribute right away?

- Will Hilton and Campbell bolster our WR corp?

- Will the defense continue their top 10 potential?

If the answer to all this is yes, we can be championship contenders.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

On paper I would say we are top 5 in the AFC or in that mix. You have KC who is really only clearly better. Then IMO it is a crapshoot between Bills, Ravens Titans, Browns, and Colts. We can beat any of the teams I mentioned in a 1 game situation, even KC is beatable but they are the King of the AFC. We had the Bills beat last season in the playoffs and made several mistakes, only lost by a FG so that showed me a lot. Now a lot depends on how well Wentz plays though because Rivers had a good season.

Yes, the same KC team that we beat at their facility with Jacoby as our starting qb in 2019?  I'm not saying we are unbeatable by any means but I feel there is not one team in the NFL that I don't like our chances against.  This offensive line + a top 2 back in Taylor will be special and add in a top 10 Def its a Championship caliber team.

34 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don’t see the future at LT.  Next year’s 2nd?

I'm predicting another FA.... Doubt the LT/OT class next year will be as good or better than this year's. And I don't see us picking early in the 2nd... 

Or if Fisher doesn't recover and work out, we'll likely be forced to slide Q out, and if Q works out, then... 

1 minute ago, BornHoosier said:

Yes, the same KC team that we beat at their facility with Jacoby as our starting qb in 2019?  I'm not saying we are unbeatable by any means but I feel there is not one team in the NFL that I don't like our chances against.  

Even a team like the Browns could have an off season. They look like a team on the rise but if Baker takes a step back who knows. They are still the Browns. The AFC is pretty loaded, the Dolphins look good on paper too, the Steelers and Patriots might even be good. They usually are, Pats re-tooled a little.

Even a team like the Browns could have an off season. They look like a team on the rise but if Baker takes a step back who knows. They are still the Browns. The AFC is pretty loaded, the Dolphins look good on paper too, the Steelers and Patriots might even be good. They usually are, Pats re-tooled a little.

Browns have to overtake the Ravens and Steelers first and the Dolphins have to deal with the Bills and an improved Patriots.  Nobody said it would be easy but I like our game plan of running the ball and playing top 10 defense over all teams mentioned.  If we could just solve our kicking game and in game coaching decisions that haunted us the last 2 yrs we could be scary good!  

1 minute ago, BornHoosier said:

Browns have to overtake the Ravens and Steelers first and the Dolphins have to deal with the Bills and an improved Patriots.  Nobody said it would be easy but I like our game plan of running the ball and playing top 10 defense over all teams mentioned.  

Oh yeah we have a 3 headed monster at RB if Mack comes back healthy. Our O.Line will still be good regardless, great if Fish plays most of the season. Jury is still out on Wentz, will he be 2017-2019 Wentz or last years Wentz? That is the Million dollar question. Regarding our D, I think we will be top 10ish, which should be good enough.

Browns have assembled a really good team. I still think the Ravens are the team to beat. I do think teams have figured them out offensively though. Pitt IMO will be good, but they are declining. Miami has a very solid team right now, it just all rest on how Tua does. Pats totally retooled by all the moves they made. Their QB situation will be interesting to watch. Jets had a great draft. Chargers are on the rise too. 

Outside of KC, Balt, and the Bills, could see a lot of quality teams in the AFC making a push. KC is still the only tier 1 team though IMO.

11 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Browns have to overtake the Ravens and Steelers first and the Dolphins have to deal with the Bills and an improved Patriots.  Nobody said it would be easy but I like our game plan of running the ball and playing top 10 defense over all teams mentioned.  

Our D was really overrated last year though. Our ranks dropped like a lead balloon as our SoS increased late in the season. We ended the year ranked very average (15th-ish) in D efficiency. And that's with the 30th ranked SoS..... 

At the end of the day it comes down to if the team is better. And @CR91 and others hit it on the head w identifying Wentz as really the centerpiece here.

- Our RBs are the same and should maybe be a tick better as Taylor continues to progress and as we get anything out of Mack this season compared to being without him last year.

- Our OL basically will be the same with some significant depth improvement. Reed is a huge huge improvement at OG if we have a need to play him. Pinter will be another year in and hopefully another year better. OT depth w Tevi and Davenport to add to Holden is way better. So really it comes down to how close to vintage Fisher we get and when. But it is a current concern.

- Our TE room is basically the same w hopefully some more chances for Allie-Cox (which would be an improvement w his ceiling) and replacing Burton who we got nothing out of w the speed and shiftiness of Granson. I think thats a slight upgrade.

- WR room is the same. Hilton cannot be utilized much less than he was last year. He should be a bit better at a minimum, especially w us able to throw downfield more. Pittman is a year more polished. Campbell is the big thing here. People that complained in the media or fan-wise about the Colts not doing much at WR seem to forget we are basically adding a talent in Campbell that would be right up there w top market assets if he can just stay on the field. Basically this group should be slightly better than last year just w depth improvements at the bottom of the roster and the better utilization of Hilton and could be a huge improvement if Campbell manages to stay on the field for the first time.

- QB all comes down to which Wentz we get. 2017 Wentz and its a grand slam. 2018 or 2019 Wentz and it is still a home run as a top-half of the league QB. 2020 Wentz and it is  a strikeout. 

Defense:

Secondary remains pretty much the same with Tell coming back, Davis and Davis added for depth. The loss at DB coach is the biggest loss here. But likely we are around the same.

LB again remains almost the same. Walker out hurts the depth and the leadership but it is time for Okereke to get more time and to step up. It could be addition by subtraction but for the leadership alone I'll say we got slightly worse here,

DL is the mystery. Are the additions in Paye and Dayo better than the losses in Houston and Autry? Will a hopefully healthy Turay be better than the loss of one? Will Lewis finally reach his potential w more playing time in the Autry role? Can Banogu show anything? My gut says the DL got better. But they have to produce. it is time for the young bucks to put up or shut up. 

At the end of the day my net sum makes me feel like the Defense is around the same with the DL dictating if we got better or worse. We invested in the DL to get better. Now they either show it or its a loss.

Offensively we are weaker at LT until Fisher is healthy. But we are better prepared to handle it than last year. And Campbell really could make a huge huge difference for the offense. It obviously comes down to Wentz. My gut says we are actually better offensively but that we will have some rocky times with Wentz's propensity to fumble and leave our defense on a short field.

I think the real challenge here is that most people see the Chiefs, Browns and Bills as being clearly better. Maybe the Ravens too. So if the Colts aren't "definitely" better than it looks like we lost ground. 

But today I feel a lot better than i did yesterday before we had at least the option of Fisher at some point to help on the blindside. 

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh yeah we have a 3 headed monster at RB if Mack comes back healthy. Our O.Line will still be good regardless, great if Fish plays most of the season. Jury is still out on Wentz, will he be 2017-2019 Wentz or last years Wentz? That is the Million dollar question. Regarding our D, I think we will be top 10ish, which should be good enough.

Regarding Wentz, with the way this team is built we don't need him to be great just efficient.  Top 5 running game, top 10 defense all we need is him to play to the level of a top 15 qb, which is not a lot to ask honestly.  He has MVP capabilities with the right supporting cast so I trust Coach Reich in rectifying any mechanical flaws he may have.  We dont need an MVP qb to win in Indy but we do need him to be in the top 15.  That will be the telling tale of our season is if we have a top 15 qb.

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Browns have assembled a really good team. I still think the Ravens are the team to beat. I do think teams have figured them out offensively though. Pitt IMO will be good, but they are declining. Miami has a very solid team right now, it just all rest on how Tua does. Pats totally retooled by all the moves they made. Their QB situation will be interesting to watch. Jets had a great draft. Chargers are on the rise too. 

Outside of KC, Balt, and the Bills, could see a lot of quality teams in the AFC making a push. KC is still the only tier 1 team though IMO.

That is how I look at it as well. There is only 1 Tier 1 team in the AFC that is KC. There are a lot of Tier 2 teams though = Bills, Ravens, Titans, Browns, Colts, Steelers, and Dolphins. The Pats might even be Tier 2 but their QB play is still a mystery in how well Cam will play or will Jones be any good. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Our D was really overrated last year though. Our ranks dropped like a lead balloon as our SoS increased late in the season. We ended the year ranked very average (15th-ish) in D efficiency. And that's with the 30th ranked SoS..... 

BINGO!  This staff realized our #1 deficiency and that is our lack of getting to the QB.  We can no longer wait for Turray to become that force and they went out and spent our 1st and 2nd rd picks of the 2021 draft on edge rushers.  If Turray gives us anything in 2021 it will be a bonus and actually give our 2nd rd pick time to recover from injury before he is counted on.  We may have finished 15th but it felt like 32nd with the lack of an aggressive blitz game plan and a true legit pass rusher.  I hope Irsay is correct in stating he has never in his life seen this type of edge rushing talent go back to back but I like the fact this team sees there biggest weakness and addresses it.  If only they saw the weakness at the wr position like I do but if you have a back like Taylor and a top 5 OL, who cares about the qb or wr position.

3 hours ago, BlueCollarColts said:

A 100% Tevi might be slightly better than a 75% Fisher (going based off their careers) but I think the goal is a 75% Fisher is going to be closer to 90% Fisher by the time the playoffs roll around. I don't think anyone is expecting Fisher to be his old self from Day 1, but where he is a few months after returning you'd hope is at a better place than he is when he immediately returns.

Aye, but here is the rub. All (anyone that disagrees, show one that doesn't demonstrate this) of the studies show (that tracked this data) there is a very noticeable degradation in play for those that return to sport. Some 20 to 25%. Not for a few weeks or a month or two, but the rest of the whole season. Any marked improvement to where they were prior to injury mostly occurs the 'next' season.  I do not expect Fisher to improve very much once (if) he is inserted into the starting line up.  If he is 90% by the playoffs, I'll believe he was 85% or more in his return. It could happen, but I feel by history the odds would differ.

13 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Regarding Wentz, with the way this team is built we don't need him to be great just efficient.  Top 5 running game, top 10 defense all we need is him to play to the level of a top 15 qb, which is not a lot to ask honestly.  He has MVP capabilities with the right supporting cast so I trust Coach Reich in rectifying any mechanical flaws he may have.  We dont need an MVP qb to win in Indy but we do need him to be in the top 15.  That will be the telling tale of our season is if we have a top 15 qb.

I will take top 15 - that makes us a playoff team IMO, top 10 could very well put us over the top.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is how I look at it as well. There is only 1 Tier team in the AFC that is KC. There are a lot of Tier 2 teams though = Bills, Ravens, Titans, Browns, Colts, Steelers, and Dolphins. The Pats might even be Tier 2 but their QB play is still a mystery in how well Cam will play or will Jones be any good. 

Yup. 

The AFC IMO will be interesting next year. So many teams have made major changes. You can make a case for a lot of teams, even ones like NYJ and Jax could be a lot better. Even Denver, who didn't make a QB move, had a quiet but great draft. 

AFCS will likely be Indy and TN fighting for #1, but I think Jax will be fighting for the top spot in the next year or two. We can't even beat them when they're bad, so I'm a little scared lol. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. 

The AFC IMO will be interesting next year. So many teams have made major changes. You can make a case for a lot of teams, even ones like NYJ and Jax could be a lot better. Even Denver, who didn't make a QB move, had a quiet but great draft. 

AFCS will likely be Indy and TN fighting for #1, but I think Jax will be fighting for the top spot in the next year or two. We can't even beat them when they're bad, so I'm a little scared lol. 

What if Denver lands Rodgers? That will be scary.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will take top 15 - that makes us a playoff team IMO, top 10 could very well put us over the top.

Yes, name the top 15th QB and you will be not impressed which is why I feel we could be good with him at 15 but in the top 10 makes us ELITE.  Well said!

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What if Denver lands Rodgers? That will be scary.

Do they have a top 10 running game, a top 10 OL or a top 10 Defense like we do?  Rodgers problem is his salary got in the way of fielding a championship team plus their draft strategy the last couple years.  Neglected giving arguably the best qb in the game viable weapons at the wr position much like our colts.  Does he make them contenders, why yes but I feel we are built in the trenches where they are not.

Archived