Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fisher Signing 1 Year Deal

23 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

What’s sad about the blitz is we have two of the best in the league at it in Leonard and Moore.

If you're going to Blitz, you gotta have people that can either cover, or tackle on the spot.

• Like 1
  • Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Such a weird deal. We're gonna pay him $9.4m to rehab his Achilles, and there's a strong chance he won't even play for us.    Of course, the team and doctors know where he is. And maybe the

I love the signing for the obvious potential he brings but...anytime I see a timeline with the Colts and an injury I cringe. Based on the Colts saying mid-September Im expecting him game 5 of 2027 

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I know 3-4s naturally have higher blitz rates. But we're not mid of 4-3s either. Like I said, I don't want to be blitz happy, just not 31st in the league. We're just way too predicable. And to play so much nickel and dime, and not blitz, and be so soft in our zone... Just frustrating. Feels like we're the safest team in the league. And it showed late in the season. Having 5 or 6 DBs out there and still get picked apart lol. We're conservative on the other side too... It feels like our identity lol...

Well why you think Tomlin & Co draft a LB every year no matter what is going on? Most of the time at the top of the draft. I mean Ballard doing the same thing with 4-3 EDGE isnt much different. That's really how important it is to that scheme. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

Well why you think Tomlin & Co draft a LB every year no matter what is going on? Most of the time at the top of the draft. I mean Ballard doing the same thing with 4-3 EDGE isnt much different. That's really how important it is to that scheme. 

IDK. Doubt he would have drafted as many if he had hit on one lol. His track record is pretty poor. And Lewis was a tweener, so I kind of remove him from the pure Edge picks.

And he actually said the 3T was the most important part of our D, yet he waited a good while to address.

I'm a big Tomlin fan btw.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IDK. Doubt he would have drafted as many if he had hit on one lol. His track record is pretty poor. And Lewis was a tweener, so I kind of remove him from the pure Edge picks.

And he actually said the 3T was the most important part of our D, yet he waited a good while to address.

I'm a big Tomlin fan btw.

I wasn't really sold on Tomlin at first. I hated the tampa 2. Hated it especially against brady. So to tie all this in. They way you beat Brady is one of two ways. Lock down corner, or take his * down. Well we didnt have none of that because Belichick had the best offensive line in football for a while there. I mean... I hate to drop this here but... also the tuck rule. Not that I have any particular love for oakland but sad to see the A's window shopping.

Anyway they regulated that style of football out of existence. Pay ur bigs up front, score points, dont overpay for a QB. Thats how the NFL works now. If Fisher comes back and is solid, screw it pay em all.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, JoeThornburg said:

I wasn't really sold on Tomlin at first. I hated the tampa 2. Hated it especially against brady. So to tie all this in. They way you beat Brady is one of two ways. Lock down corner, or take his * down. Well we didnt have none of that because Belichick had the best offensive line in football for a while there. I mean... I hate to drop this here but... also the tuck rule. Not that I have any particular love for oakland but sad to see the A's window shopping.

Anyway they regulated that style of football out of existence. Pay ur bigs up front, score points, dont overpay for a QB. Thats how the NFL works now. If Fisher comes back and is solid, screw it pay em all.

I like Tomlin's personality a lot. And you can't argue with his record.

Purely my opinion, but I don't see you guys going far in the playoffs again until you guys get a new QB. Maybe things fall into place over the next 2 years, but I just think BB is holding yall back. I love your skill players. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I like Tomlin's personality a lot. And you can't argue with his record.

Purely my opinion, but I don't see you guys going far in the playoffs again until you guys get a new QB. Maybe things fall into place over the next 2 years, but I just think BB is holding yall back. I love your skill players. 

Well that's old man Rooney. I like Tomlin too. Hall of Fame Coach. I still hate the pure Tampa 2. lol. Yeah lemme  give this midget flanker 10 yards at the line so he can run a hook and burn me up the seam. Just give me the guys who can get to the damn ball and make a play on it.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, JoeThornburg said:

Well that's old man Rooney. I like Tomlin too. Hall of Fame Coach. I still hate the pure Tampa 2. lol. Yeah lemme  give this midget flanker 10 yards at the line so he can run a hook and burn me up the seam. Just give me the guys who can get to the damn ball and make a play on it.

See, we have the same frustrations lol.. We give guys way too much cushion. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Some combo of scheme and overall talent?

DeFo and Leonard are great players. DeFo is a monster and makes the defense better, but he's not Aaron Donald. And Leonard is a playmaker and tackle machine, but also regressed in pass coverage last season. 

But SEA (Adams and Wagner) and KC (Jones and Mathieu) also had (2) All-Pros on their defenses...and they finished #16 and #22 respectively (DVOA). Two players can't do it alone together (or something like that).

I think another part is the pass rush. The DL (DeFo included) got their production in bunches in a handful of games against bad OLs. So the overall pass rush numbers were better than what the Colts were actually fielding from week to week.

Also, and it seems like no one talks about this, but the defense overall basically fell off a cliff in the 2nd half of the season. The difference in numbers are pretty eye-opening.

I think we all agree with the direction of the 2021 draft as were all on the same page.

5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Our soft zone makes it easy for WR/QBs. Our low blitz % makes it easy for OL/QBs.... 

Those two things have little to do with personnel.

Not really.  We are pretty much a Tampa 2 if not Tampa 2 like defense which is basically cover 3 when the Mike is covering the deep middle.  You need certain personnel to be dominant with this concept. First and foremost you need Dline that can take care of the pass rush mostly itself.  We don’t have that.  A superstar sack threat 3tech is pretty much a staple here.  We have that well covered.

The other two positions we just don’t have.  We definitely do not have the fast reading Superstar MIKE who can cover the deep middle like a cover 3 FS, come up and make tackles in the short passing game which Tampa 2 is weaker against with 2 deep safeties.

We have essentially half a safety in Blackmon .  Seems perfectly able to come downhill  in underneath routes, but has some splaining to do in the actual deep half coverage he’s required to provide.

I don’t love Tampa 2 because the Colts never had the MIke that was good enough for a dominant D, and only had the FS when BoB was healthy.  I think they lacked the personnel to be dominant with it.  And I think this team does as well.  It requires a lot of good decision making as well as freak talent for the MIKE if the line is adequate. But it is certainly something that has had success and is becoming fashionable again

I think we will really struggle this year unless Paye ripens rapidly,

and JB adjusts and plays the ball behind him better.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JoeThornburg said:

Doesn't seem to matter who the head coach is Thornburg, some teams just struggle vs a certain team no matter who is running the show.  Our Colts no matter what cant beat the Steelers, Patriots or Chargers and I don't care if either is the worst team in the league, it ain't happening!!!  Manning, Luck, Rivers it don't matter as just another loss.  The number one recipe all you teams had is you paid your bigs up front and didn't have a Manning to pay at the qb position.  Ben, Brady and Rivers are no small contracts but you all seem to pay the trenches and still had $$ to pay your qb which is where INDY failed.  Peyton should have 8 rings if only the current management understood the importance of an OL and DL.  I respect the Steelers for this very reason but also can't stand the fact we always lose to you no matter the circumstances!  Missed kicks from the GOAT, blowing a 24pt halftime lead just to name a few, HAHA!  I swear the tides are about to turn friend but good luck!!!

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, JoeThornburg said:

Great post man. I will say this. If I'm doing this I look first and foremost at where the bye weeks are gonna fall this year. If yinz end up with say a week 5 bye, Fisher ain't sniffing the field until after that bye week. I seriously doubt the Colts will be 0-4 at that point no matter who they plug in on the short term. I'd personally rather let the guy heal and worry about what I gotta pay people next year, plus, if you roll it that way Ballard can always go back and say well yanno, we were only 2-2 without you. I'd see how the schedule pans out before really setting a timeline to any of it. Also, if he's got a game early against an elite pass rush, that's another consideration.

Bingo.  I think the bolded points to how successful the starting LT will be for us until Fisher is ready to play.  Excellent point.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Not really.  We are pretty much a Tampa 2 if not Tampa 2 like defense which is basically cover 3 when the Mike is covering the deep middle.  You need certain personnel to be dominant with this concept. First and foremost you need Dline that can take care of the pass rush mostly itself.  We don’t have that.  A superstar sack threat 3tech is pretty much a staple here.  We have that well covered.

The other two positions we just don’t have.  We definitely do not have the fast reading Superstar MIKE who can cover the deep middle like a cover 3 FS, come up and make tackles in the short passing game which Tampa 2 is weaker against with 2 deep safeties.

We have essentially half a safety in Blackmon .  Seems perfectly able to come downhill  in underneath routes, but has some splaining to do in the actual deep half coverage he’s required to provide.

I don’t love Tampa 2 because the Colts never had the MIke that was good enough for a dominant D, and only had the FS when BoB was healthy.  I think they lacked the personnel to be dominant with it.  And I think this team does as well.  It requires a lot of good decision making as well as freak talent for the MIKE if the line is adequate. But it is certainly something that has had success and is becoming fashionable again

I think we will really struggle this year unless Paye ripens rapidly,

and JB adjusts and plays the ball behind him better.

We are not a Tampa 2. We play elements of T2 sometimes (C3), but we also play straight C2, and have been playing more and more rip/liz (which combine man and zone at times). There are lots of similarities and differences. T2 Generally plays more SAM. T2 Ss play deeper than ours.  T2 CBs pop the WRs more before fading back to zone. T2 CBs normally play shallower in the flat, while ours will carry coverage deep especially in rip/liz.

Like I've said several times, not sure what our D really is as it seems all over the place and we don't seem to draft for a specific scheme. And if you're a T2, you would have immediately flipped from Walker, and would have gotten someone earlier than Okereke. Definitely wouldn't have drafted a C1 FS (Hooker), or a FS (Blackmon) from a heavy man scheme. Not sure why they would draft a press man CB like Rock either. We seem to be all over the place, and projecting trait fit rather than scheme fit. Willis is probably the best drafted fit thus far, and he plays shallow a lot (not a T2 trait) as his DADOT shows.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, JoeThornburg said:

OK man I get it. But again the point stands about scheme fit. 4-3, or more often what you guys have you don't even have a Sam on the field most of the time. So that part I do get what you are saying.

But a 3-4 zone is a totally different animal. I mean I don't care if my corners can't cover as long as they can tackle. But you need linebackers that can run the gamut. I'm not gonna take a guy like Paye and toss him in at 3 tech or zero nose in the nickel even if he's technically a defensive end. By definition a 3-4 defense has to blitz more. I know you're talking 5+ here but in a 3-4 you have to have to sniff out what side the extra guy is coming from because you only have 3 down. It makes it easier to scheme for blitz packages.

Your point is taken because I know you know your stuff but at the same time, what are we seeing in practice that says not to send that 5th guy? Is he just gonna be wasted? Is there gonna be a 20 yard gap on a seam or a slant if I do send him?

Joe, you know how heartbreaking it was to go into last yrs game with both our starting tackles OUT vs BLITZBURGH only to dominate and lose the game due to BOMBS???  Going into that game EVERYONE thought this was going to be a blood bath missing both starting tackles but only to see Jonathon Taylor RUN all over you in the first half.  I couldn't believe it at first but I quickly thought wait this is the STEELERS and no matter what it is not over.  Sure enough a second half collapse on Defense was just the recipe to continue your success but the fact we were missing both starting tackles vs BLITSBURGH made it satisfying we still had a shot!!!  No idea why I responded to this post but oh well!!

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

We are not a Tampa 2. We play elements of T2 sometimes (C3), but we also play straight C2, and have been playing more and more rip/liz (which combine man and zone at times). There are lots of similarities and differences. T2 Generally plays more SAM. T2 Ss play deeper than ours.  T2 CBs pop the WRs more before fading back to zone. T2 CBs normally play shallower in the flat, while ours will carry coverage deep especially in rip/liz.

Like I've said several times, not sure what our D really is as it seems all over the place and we don't seem to draft for a specific scheme. And if you're a T2, you would have immediately flipped from Walker, and would have gotten someone earlier than Okereke. Definitely wouldn't have drafted a C1 FS (Hooker), or a FS (Blackmon) from a heavy man scheme. Not sure why they would draft a press man CB like Rock either. We seem to be all over the place, and projecting trait fit rather than scheme fit. Willis is probably the best drafted fit thus far, and he plays shallow a lot (not a T2 trait) as his DADOT shows.

Dude I agree, but our base kinda concept is T2 with their personnel I think.  They play a variety of zones and trade off a lot.  They get lost in the secondary.  It’s actually complex as hell.

It’s possible Rock and Blackmon are gonna click as they learn the system, but it’s also possible IMO they continue to play replacement level foot ball.  Rock has issues but on many of his plays he gets NO help from the safeties.

they want these guys to play downhill like T2, but they have to show they can cover first.  It might work and be exciting as hell.

I am in lockstep with the Walker thing.  That’s why you never seem to know wth this team is trying to do well with SCHEME AND PERSONNEL.

sorry for yelling.  I don’t think our ideas about this team are really very different.  

Franks a pretty good coach man.

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

It’s possible Rock and Blackmon are gonna click as they learn the system, but it’s also possible IMO they continue to play replacement level foot ball.  Rock has issues but on many of his plays he gets NO help from the safeties.

Watch rock turn it on this season and become a fan favorite.   I think it only takes not being so handsy but we’ll see 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Maybe you should look at the stats before chiming in lol...

Leonard, Willis, Walker, and Moore all had good blitz-to-pressure ratios. Moore's was very good, and Willis's almost elite. Oke stunk. 

Teams rarely blitz their CB1 (Rhodes), and to a lesser extent FS (in our scheme).

I had forgotten about the slot CB...who would only be in the game when he's replacing the SAM, who should be the better blitzer of the two.   Our SAM stinks, as does our MIKE.  Generally as football players, not just blitzers.

But the ratio is elevated likely due to selected opportunities.  Blitzed in situations conducive to success.  IOW, If they blitzed more, in different situations like you're asking them to do, the success ratio would go down because as a whole they are not very good football players.  We already give up the middle too often.

Our slot CB and SS are the best.  Our LBs stink.

I would say that Willis is almost elite as a blitzing SS because he plays closer to the LOS, and that's because his skills as a safety are not where they need to be in coverage.  

When we get the personnel to play three safeties more often, he might blitz more.

• Sad 1
3 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I dunno, but given the number of players with Achilles issues - maybe Irsay should rename the team.  "Myrmidons" is my recommendation.

:lecture:

brad pitt pelicula GIF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The whole discussion on defensive aggressiveness - over the past several years, you've heard Frank and Ballard say things that lead you to believe they want the defense to somewhat evolve, and it never does.  Maybe Frank wants it more than Ballard, I don't know.  After Leonard racked up the sacks as a rookie, Frank talked about getting a pass rush from our LBs.   They drafted these athletic LBs, Okereke and Speed.  They drafted Banogu with the Leo position in mind.  It hasn't gone anywhere.  At times, we'll play more aggressively with pressure and in coverage, but Eberflus always seems to revert back to what he's comfortable with.

10 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Doesn't seem to matter who the head coach is Thornburg, some teams just struggle vs a certain team no matter who is running the show.  Our Colts no matter what cant beat the Steelers, Patriots or Chargers and I don't care if either is the worst team in the league, it ain't happening!!!  Manning, Luck, Rivers it don't matter as just another loss.  The number one recipe all you teams had is you paid your bigs up front and didn't have a Manning to pay at the qb position.  Ben, Brady and Rivers are no small contracts but you all seem to pay the trenches and still had $$ to pay your qb which is where INDY failed.  Peyton should have 8 rings if only the current management understood the importance of an OL and DL.  I respect the Steelers for this very reason but also can't stand the fact we always lose to you no matter the circumstances!  Missed kicks from the GOAT, blowing a 24pt halftime lead just to name a few, HAHA!  I swear the tides are about to turn friend but good luck!!!

yeah, No.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Watch rock turn it on this season and become a fan favorite.   I think it only takes not being so handsy but we’ll see 

Well man, I think he needs to play a Tampa 2 hard corner.  He should be good at that.  It seems like this is why he was drafted.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

I had forgotten about the slot CB...who would only be in the game when he's replacing the SAM, who should be the better blitzer of the two.   Our SAM stinks, as does our MIKE.  Generally as football players, not just blitzers.

But the ratio is elevated likely due to selected opportunities.  Blitzed in situations conducive to success.  IOW, If they blitzed more, in different situations like you're asking them to do, the success ratio would go down because as a whole they are not very good football players.  We already give up the middle too often.

I would say that Willis is almost elite as a blitzing SS because he plays closer to the LOS, and that's because his skills as a safety are not where they need to be in coverage.  

When we get the personnel to play three safeties more often, he might blitz more.

B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O, and BINGO was his NAME-O.

This whole post is a BINGO.

It's like the salad bar at Jason's Deli.  I can't say enough good things about it.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Nickster said:

B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O, B-I-N-G-O, and BINGO was his NAME-O.

This whole post is a BINGO.

It's like the salad bar at Jason's Deli.  I can't say enough good things about it.

Perfect.   Because I had trouble agreeing with much if anything.    I read it and thought the opposite. 

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, #12. said:

The whole discussion on defensive aggressiveness - over the past several years, you've heard Frank and Ballard say things that lead you to believe they want the defense to somewhat evolve, and it never does.  Maybe Frank wants it more than Ballard, I don't know.  After Leonard racked up the sacks as a rookie, Frank talked about getting a pass rush from our LBs.   They drafted these athletic LBs, Okereke and Speed.  They drafted Banogu with the Leo position in mind.  It hasn't gone anywhere.  At times, we'll play more aggressively with pressure and in coverage, but Eberflus always seems to revert back to what he's comfortable with.

Do you think that adding Oke, Speed, and Banogu since Leonard was a rookie has advanced the opportunities for our LBs to blitz?  I think Flus has had is hands tied due to personnel.  Not exclusively, but its played a big role, IMO.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Do you think that adding Oke, Speed, and Banogu since Leonard was a rookie has advanced the opportunities for our LBs to blitz?  I think Flus has had is hands tied due to personnel.  Not exclusively, but its played a big role, IMO.

We have safety issues over the top too. We have all kinds of downhill type guys who lack coverage skills.  I think they wanted to play a really fast t2 it’s no secret really, drafted guys they hoped could play it who haven’t yet panned out.  

39 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I would disagree and say you have seen the scheme in it’s entirety. He has a comfort and it comes down to execution but also he has shown not the best ability to adapt. He has a good mix of coverage but again the execution lacks at times and we don’t have enough movement in the pocket including sacks. Hopefully with our additions we can get better movement up front and get to the QB more allowing coverage to look better. We also need Rock and the safeties to step up huge this year with execution. Do I think we blitz more though? No. I can see the same rate +/- a few percentage points. 

21 minutes ago, Nickster said:

We have safety issues over the top too. We have all kinds of downhill type guys who lack coverage skills.  I think they wanted to play a really fast t2 it’s no secret really, drafted guys they hoped could play it who haven’t yet panned out.  

I agree about the issues with execution and having the downhill aggressive type of players. I would say we run a hybrid Cover 2/Tampa 2 base but yet play outside of that a lot. We just need better execution but every team can say this. 

side note would be the adaptation of the d calls during a game lacks IMO. 

10 hours ago, DougDew said:

We really don't play SAM a lot at all, so saying SAM stinks is a bit curious. If you're talking about Okereke, who played SAM, then OK. Yes, he took a step back last season regardless of whether he played SAM or MIKE. He'll be asked to play a lot more run downs, which was his weakest area. His assumed strongest area (coverage) was not so great last season either.

This sounds like you are trying to find a theory (that can not be proven or disproven) to support you opinion lol....

All teams try to blitz in the right situations. We simply just blitz at an almost league low (31st lowest). There were plenty of obvious downs (that would have been conducive) that we didn't blitz. Of course when your team blitzes more, opposing Os look for it more. 

We only really have two LBs that log a lot of snaps now. One is great, one is a bit below average. Before that, we had Walker, who did pretty well (averaged 100 Ts a year) vs the run on early downs. Leonard certainly doesn't stink. Walker didn't stink. He was great in one aspect, average in another. Oke is questionable in both phases.

Our SS isn't asked to do a lot in our system. He does very well in his role though. When asked to play legit 2 deep, he struggles on the backend. Moore is well rounded.

It's simply our scheme, and he fits well for what we ask him to do. Any DB asked to blitz will be close to the LOS. I would have to imagine Rock or Blackmon would also do well is given the opportunity given their traits and demeanor. Our scheme just doesn't ask a FS or CB to do much of that.

I don't see us using 3 Ss much at all. Only in Dime, but a Dime can be a S or CB, and I'd say it's a CB more than S due to the fact they're typically asked to cover. And felt like we used Dime very sparingly in ultra-prevent situations.

Kind of like the Fisher signing and getting Tevi for a steal.  We are loaded at LT with Fisher, Tevi, Davenport and Will Holden.  Now I can only being to imagine if the Colts are primed to make a mid-season trade with a team that just drafted a rookie LT and going to call it now 'Da Bears'.  

Between Davenport and Holden would say go younger and keep Davenport and cut Holden but Holden has played a cleaner game than what Davenport has.  Those penalties add up and are game killers.  My early prediction is the Colts cut Davenport and keep Holden along with Tevi to start the season build up some game play playing next to Nelson.  Hoping Fisher comes back rehabbed and ready to start by Week 5 or 6 and we trade Tevi to the Bears swap players and get IDL Bilal Nichols. Nichols will be a FA in 2022 but the way he has been playing wouldn't mind this option, and as much hate to discuss it, I do think Nichols could start over Stewart and see Stewart becoming a cap causality at the end of the season using his money to sign the better player Nichols with the Club savings.   If the Bears didn't want to swap players we should be able to get no worse than a 5th Rounder for Tevi.  The Bears have a tough schedule and depends on how well Jenkins does at LT but do think the Colts could shop Tevi before the NFL trade deadline.

15 hours ago, Nickster said:

Yes, and if a few of those down hill guys blitz, the coverage by the other downhill guys would suffer even more.  Our defensive personnel is not that good and it limits what the coaches can do.  They have to protect weaknesses too much to let loose the aggressiveness..  JMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I would disagree and say you have seen the scheme in it’s entirety. He has a comfort and it comes down to execution but also he has shown not the best ability to adapt. He has a good mix of coverage but again the execution lacks at times and we don’t have enough movement in the pocket including sacks. Hopefully with our additions we can get better movement up front and get to the QB more allowing coverage to look better. We also need Rock and the safeties to step up huge this year with execution. Do I think we blitz more though? No. I can see the same rate +/- a few percentage points. 

As we get better pieces the likelihood of taking risks goes up.  Really, the 43 zone, if that's what we play, relies upon the front 4 for pass rush, so there should not be very much blitzing.  Maybe if Paye and Dayo work out like expected, there will be even less blitzing.  But if Flus wants to be like the old SEA defense, he's going to need better LBers than just having Leonard at WILL.  JMO.

2 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Kind of like the Fisher signing and getting Tevi for a steal.  We are loaded at LT with Fisher, Tevi, Davenport and Will Holden.  Now I can only being to imagine if the Colts are primed to make a mid-season trade with a team that just drafted a rookie LT and going to call it now 'Da Bears'.  

Between Davenport and Holden would say go younger and keep Davenport and cut Holden but Holden has played a cleaner game than what Davenport has.  Those penalties add up and are game killers.  My early prediction is the Colts cut Davenport and keep Holden along with Tevi to start the season build up some game play playing next to Nelson.  Hoping Fisher comes back rehabbed and ready to start by Week 5 or 6 and we trade Tevi to the Bears swap players and get IDL Bilal Nichols. Nichols will be a FA in 2022 but the way he has been playing wouldn't mind this option, and as much hate to discuss it, I do think Nichols could start over Stewart and see Stewart becoming a cap causality at the end of the season using his money to sign the better player Nichols with the Club savings.   If the Bears didn't want to swap players we should be able to get no worse than a 5th Rounder for Tevi.  The Bears have a tough schedule and depends on how well Jenkins does at LT but do think the Colts could shop Tevi before the NFL trade deadline.

While I love your blind optimism for this exact scenario to unfold, I don’t think Tevi would warrant a 5th in any scenario or even a player of value. He’s a one dimensional journeyman tackle who’s biggest asset is game experience. SD tossed him to the curb for a reason I imagine.

Man, you really reached deep to paint a hypothetical scenario but  in all honesty Grover Stewart is a baller. He isn’t going anywhere for a while 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

As we get better pieces the likelihood of taking risks goes up.  Really, the 43 zone, if that's what we play, relies upon the front 4 for pass rush, so there should not be very much blitzing.  Maybe if Paye and Dayo work out like expected, there will be even less blitzing.  But if Flus wants to be like the old SEA defense, he's going to need better LBers than just having Leonard at WILL.  JMO.

I agree but again blitz rate doubtfully goes up. Our D is more Marinelli like than Seattle’s. He likes the zone scheme that allows him to play a lot of Cover 1, 2, and 3. Single high safety is something he runs at times but we typically get exploited when that happens. So he does not do it as much. A risk would be doing that more but again personnel and execution will be huge for that. 

This defense just like any other will rely heavy on the d line getting pressure. The front 4 will always be our key with the opportunity for situational blitzing. 

• Like 1

Eric Fisher solves our LT going forward. Yes, he needs to rehab his Achilles but considering what we are getting is a NO BRAINER. 

He seems to be a perfect fit for our OL, next to Q. He is a Pro Bowler having the tools to make this OL the best in the NFL. I have no angst if we lose early games this year because there are alot of adjustments and familiarization and timing that will be needed. 

Given we are a young team with a mobile QB. We have a deep bench on this young Defense/Offense/ST, which weathers better regarding injuries. It is a VERY LONG season. The stars are lining up.... Go Colts

It makes sense now why we signed him with the Achilles. They want to keep him for a couple more years. I just don’t see how they make this work. You are going to have to let several players go that we all love if they signed Fisher. You can’t hurt the rest of the team like that.