Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is the most underrated player on the Colts?


Who is the most underrated player on the Colts?  

80 members have voted

  1. 1. Who is the most underrated player on the Colts?



Recommended Posts

In the wake of the draft, I've naturally seen and heard a number of people discuss the outlook for the Colts defensive line. Paye and Dayo are spoken about as high upside prospects, Buckner is seen as a perennial All-Pro, and Grover Stewart is... never mentioned. Stewart has come on leaps and bounds since he was drafted, and has been as consistent and reliable as anyone on the D-Line the last two seasons. I don't feel like he's currently getting the recognition that he deserves, and would argue that he's the most underrated player on the Colts right now.

 

If you disagree, who would be your choice?

 

I have a couple of other contenders but feel free to add your own in the comments:

 

Rock Ya-Sin - Very solid when playing zone but gets burned or penalised once a game and that's all people remember.

 

Braden Smith - Being the third best lineman on the team means being top 5 at his position often goes unnoticed.

 

Nyheim Hines - Recognised for his ability to make plays out of the backfield but has also begun to show improvement running between the tackles.

 

Jack Doyle - Mr. Reliable. He'd still be top of my target list in a 4th and 5 situation. Never makes the highlight reel but is one of the most fundamentally sound football players on the team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I voted Braden Smith, as whenever anyone mentioned our line previously, it was always Castonzo, Nelson and Kelly that were mentioned specifically by name, hardly ever was Braden thrown in there too. He has been stalwart at RT and definitely deserves far more credit.

 

 However, after I pressed Braden and voted i had a thought.... and funnily enough I think the answer is TY Hilton atm.

 

Pretty much ever since he was drafted the Colts offence just hasn’t been the same when he isn’t on the field. That holds true still... even when he isn’t posting big numbers himself, the entire offence runs better when he is there. People are so down on TY that they were willing to let him walk, but it would’ve been a massive mistake. So glad he stayed.

 

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JediXMan said:

Khari Wills. 

 

This is a good shout, and one that I hadn't considered.

 

2 hours ago, Chucklez said:

I voted Braden Smith, as whenever anyone mentioned our line previously, it was always Castonzo, Nelson and Kelly that were mentioned specifically by name, hardly ever was Braden thrown in there too. He has been stalwart at RT and definitely deserves far more credit.

 

 However, after I pressed Braden and voted i had a thought.... and funnily enough I think the answer is TY Hilton atm.

 

Pretty much ever since he was drafted the Colts offence just hasn’t been the same when he isn’t on the field. That holds true still... even when he isn’t posting big numbers himself, the entire offence runs better when he is there. People are so down on TY that they were willing to let him walk, but it would’ve been a massive mistake. So glad he stayed.

 

 

 

I thought about TY, and I think he may have been the most underrated at various times earlier in his career, but I think that he's getting about the credit he deserves now. I think a lot of people are starting to look back on his career and realise how legit he was, even people nationally and not just in Indy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Easily Hines.  Braeden is about to get paid handsomely and that by itself proves he is appreciated.  Hines continually moves the chains and makes plays on punt returns. He is a terrific player that keeps getting better. I hope they work out an extension for him but he may be a player that we financially can’t keep and must try to replace with someone on a rookie contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Other" is the most underrated player in the NFL.

 

But seriously...my vote from this list would be Smith. He's not an elite RT, but he is a very good one. And I think his impact on the OL improvement from 2017-now seems to often get overshadowed by Nelson at times.

 

Rock is definitely not underrated...he has a big year coming up.

 

Hines is not really underrated...as far as RBs go.

 

Stewart isn't really overrated or underrated...he's a solid rotational interior DL player.

 

Doyle is in the last year of his career...so not sure if it really matters at this point.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Easily Hines.  Braeden is about to get paid handsomely and that by itself proves he is appreciated.  Hines continually moves the chains and makes plays on punt returns. He is a terrific player that keeps getting better. I hope they work out an extension for him but he may be a player that we financially can’t keep and must try to replace with someone on a rookie contract. 

 

Hines is pretty replaceable. The Colts have a top tier run-blocking OL that can open huge holes and knows how to get downfield. So it's not all that difficult to find smaller fast RBs that can run behind it and catch dump-offs in space...whether that's in the draft or off the scrap heap.

 

However, they really like Hines, so I think they re-sign him. And his contract should not be expensive at all. If a player like Ekeler got $6M/year...the Colts should be able to extend Hines for something like 3/$12-15M. That seems manageable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I went with Doyle, he has been solid for us but we always talk about getting a new tight end.

 

Well he insinuated that he is retiring after this season...so getting a new TE will be necessary very soon. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 1A for me is Pascal. He has turned himself into a very valuable overall contributor. He has learned the offense/how to read and attack zones using some very good subtle moves. And his hands are very solid.
 1B is Hines. Frank and Hines are a great team. Hines is almost unstoppable in the quick game. A great counter to our run game.
 Both are entering their Prime.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

 

Well he insinuated that he is retiring after this season...so getting a new TE will be necessary very soon. 

 

I’m not just referencing this off-season, the past couple seasons it seems Doyle has been overlooked because everyone wants a Kittle/Kelce type TE

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Easily Hines.  Braeden is about to get paid handsomely and that by itself proves he is appreciated.  Hines continually moves the chains and makes plays on punt returns. He is a terrific player that keeps getting better. I hope they work out an extension for him but he may be a player that we financially can’t keep and must try to replace with someone on a rookie contract. 

 

Grover Stewart has already been paid handsomely and still doesn't get recognition. People outside Indy barely know his name let alone the fact that he is on $11m a year, which is a lot for a nose tackle.

 

4 hours ago, TonyBungee said:

Kenny Moore.

 

Another good shout. Also top 5 at his position if you consider nickel corner as a separate position from outside corner, which I think is pretty reasonable.

 

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

 1A for me is Pascal. He has turned himself into a very valuable overall contributor. He has learned the offense/how to read and attack zones using some very good subtle moves. And his hands are very solid.
 1B is Hines. Frank and Hines are a great team. Hines is almost unstoppable in the quick game. A great counter to our run game.
 Both are entering their Prime.

 

Pascal is a pretty good shout too. He's basically been WR2 the last two seasons, and had even been WR1 at times. Not spectacular but solid and reliable like a bunch of the guys that have been mentioned.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

 

Hines is pretty replaceable. The Colts have a top tier run-blocking OL that can open huge holes and knows how to get downfield. So it's not all that difficult to find smaller fast RBs that can run behind it and catch dump-offs in space...whether that's in the draft or off the scrap heap.

 

However, they really like Hines, so I think they re-sign him. And his contract should not be expensive at all. If a player like Ekeler got $6M/year...the Colts should be able to extend Hines for something like 3/$12-15M. That seems manageable.

You saying he is replaceable reinforced my belief Hines is underrated lol.  Hines accounted for 1232 total yards last year.  He is very good for a role player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glowinski.

 

Everyone likes to bash him like he sucks just because he's the "weak link" on our O-Line that is otherwise composed of 3 first round picks and a second round pick.  I'm no guru, but I think he holds up pretty well - at least in regard to those that say he sucks.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Glow, so underrated he didn’t even make the list.

 

Now if you talking nationally it’s Moore.  Kids a stud that no one outside of the Colts fan base knows.

Exactly. If we're talking nationally, it's got to be Moore.

If we're talking by Colts fans, it's probably Glow or Pascal I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stewart.  I'm gonna make a distinction here that he's the most underrated but not the most underpaid.  Anyone who can dominate a SOLID Tennessee line and stop Derrick Henry single handedly at the goal line deserves to be known.  Buckner taking the double teams has allowed Grover to take his game to the next level. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

Stewart.  I'm gonna make a distinction here that he's the most underrated but not the most underpaid.  Anyone who can dominate a SOLID Tennessee line and stop Derrick Henry single handedly at the goal line deserves to be known.  Buckner taking the double teams has allowed Grover to take his game to the next level. 

when buckner was out he looked completely different . i wonder if the reason he looked so good last season was because of buckner . dont get me wrong he was very solid and good in 2019 his breakout year but this year he took it to a new level and became a beast .

marlon mack is so underrated he is only making 3 million .  he was a monster 2019 people forget how good he was

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

 1A for me is Pascal. He has turned himself into a very valuable overall contributor. He has learned the offense/how to read and attack zones using some very good subtle moves. And his hands are very solid.
 1B is Hines. Frank and Hines are a great team. Hines is almost unstoppable in the quick game. A great counter to our run game.
 Both are entering their Prime.

Pascal was going to be my choice as well. He moves the chains a lot, and hardly ever does he drop a catchable ball!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2021 at 8:52 AM, TonyBungee said:

Kenny Moore.

 

But when all is said and done, I'm afraid I have to vote the most underrated Colts player as Chad Kelly. No doubt about it!

 

:Nuke:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can make a case for several, and depends on if you're talking Indy fans, national, or just plain $$....

 

Most underrated IMO

 

MAC - graded out extremely high, highest pass catcher catch %, led TEs in yards, only one drop, had some great intermediate to deep routes. Still everyone screaming for a better TE instead of simply more targets for MAC.

 

Willis - I know we don't ask a lot our SSs, but he's been a great value from the 4th round.

 

Pascal - I think most fans like him. He's not top tier WR and should probably be a depth guy, but he does a ton very very well. 

 

Glow - He's one of the best weak links on any NFL OL. 

 

Hines - I think too many people want to grade him as a typical RB, instead of an APB. He's one of the best APBs in the NFL.

 

Carrie - Great NB back up, and decent CB backup. In our scheme, we don't really miss a beat when Moore is out.

 

IMO, Smith gets plenty of recognition and respect,,,, and he'll get paid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fools, its Jonathon Taylor by a long shot because this coaching staff does not believe in his skill set!!!  I see Taylor like a Derrick Henry 2.0, but for some reason we like to throw the ball 50 times instead of handing it off to a generational back!!  RUN THE DAMN BALL COACH!!!  Nothing like 80+ yds in a half only to abandon the run in the second half and lose the game!!!  SO UNDERVALUED!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Fools, its Jonathon Taylor by a long shot because this coaching staff does not believe in his skill set!!!  I see Taylor like a Derrick Henry 2.0, but for some reason we like to throw the ball 50 times instead of handing it off to a generational back!!  RUN THE DAMN BALL COACH!!!  Nothing like 80+ yds in a half only to abandon the run in the second half and lose the game!!!  SO UNDERVALUED!

We were 9th in run %.... 

That means 23 teams threw it more (higher %).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, EastStreet said:

We were 9th in run %.... 

That means 23 teams threw it more (higher %).

I'm getting the sense you don't believe in the JT hype train that only started since wk 11?  Try comparing stats since wk 11 and get behind this train!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

I'm getting the sense you don't believe in the JT hype train that only started since wk 11?  Try comparing stats since wk 11 and get behind this train!!!

I believe in facts and context which you seem to hate.

 

I love JT

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I'm more than happy when people point out the good we're doing. I'm not good with people using it to discount the bad and making excuses.   I'm generally a perfectionist and look for flaws to correct them, because that's how you get better in sports, business and life in general.   You're saying because I'm not satisfied with us being 2-4 that I should just leave. Sorry, not sorry - not going anywhere. I'm on the Irsay bandwagon here - I want titles. If you're just waiting for the NFL to start handing out participation awards you're in the wrong place.
    • I wanted to rewatch the game before I posted anything on this because I came away with the feeling we didn't do much outside of a handfull of big plays on offense and the same on defense.   So, final thoughts...   Offense Good to see some explosive plays!! But... Outside of the 2 big plays to Campbell and Hilton, Wentz didn't have a good day at the office. 11/20, 223 yards, 2 TDs to 9/18, 120 yards, 1 TD without those plays.  Of course if we didn't have to do all that much outside of those big plays. Also, we're still seeing examples of him holding the ball too long. Taylor is a beast and I just don't get the idea of only getting him 14 carries. He's averaging 14,5 carries per game with a low of 10 and a+ high of 17. It's ridiculous. Seemed like Hines was only in the game to tire the defense and set them up for Taylor. That's a shame I think. He's one of our a biggest playmakers in my opinion. It was great to see Hilton out there again! I honestly had written him off as done, with last years performance and his injury this year, but he proved me wrong. Campbell is a bust. That has been my opinion for some time now, but I really thought he was going to prove me wrong with that 51 yard TD. Then he got injured... again. Best ability is availability. He isn't. Mo had a good TD catch, but should've had another. His second drop I blame Wentz for - bad placement. Had a great block on Taylor's 2nd TD. Pittman had 2 solid grabs and a few good blocks down the field but not much outside of that. Fisher sucks. He's not far removed from an achilles injury, but he still has a long way to go. Hoping he'll improve because right now it's looking like Ballard crapped the bed on this one - Leno is doing great. The rest of the Oline is putting in solid work right now and it's hopefully only going to get better with Q and Smith returning... even if Smith didn't play his best up until his injury. Defense Loved Leonards reaction after the first play being a false start on Houston.  I hate this defensive scheme with a passion. We gave up a 67% completion rate and 243 yards to a rookie and 124 yards rushing. That's concerning in my book. Still, we showed up and made some important turnovers, because without them it could have gotten ugly.  Happy to see Paye on the field again and with an interception of all things - I'm not accepting anything else, that call getting turned over was a joke even if it ultimately benefitted us. Still not nearly enough pressure from our Dline - they didn't have Tunsil on the field. I needed to see some sacks from our DEs. Ya-Sin is having a good season so far. Good for him and us! Willis had a good game, I think, as did Leonard, Moore and Okereke. Fantastic interception by Rodgers late in the game. Overall a lot of good things and something to build on. Now we just need to do it against the good teams and especially against the Titans.   Lastly, we beat one of the worst teams in football, comfortably, and we should have if we want to get to the playoffs. We have to beat the good/great teams if we want to get anywhere IN the playoffs and we haven't been able to for some time now. We had a good game against the Ravens up until we collapsed in the 4th quarter, and they just manhandled the Chargers. That's encouraging and heartbreaking all at the same time. I would like to see us beat at least one of either the Bills, Bucs or Cardinals this year, but we still have a long way to go to be one of the elite teams.
    • 17 games, 7 playoff teams, weak division   There's a long way to go.
    • Wentz looked damn good from the pocket.  He threw some dimes.  The TD Mo Allie dropped was the definition of a perfect pass.    
  • Members

    • SteelCityColt

      SteelCityColt 4,841

      Moderators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nadine

      Nadine 7,002

      Administrators
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Pilgrim

      Pilgrim 52

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PRnum1

      PRnum1 531

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtsGermany

      ColtsGermany 333

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • cdgacoltsfan

      cdgacoltsfan 1,107

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • C_Lew

      C_Lew 44

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Solid84

      Solid84 136

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dunk

      Dunk 275

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jskinnz

      jskinnz 2,075

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...