Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

The injuries for Campbell continues to surprise me. He was very healthy at THE Ohio State University

 

The kid can play.

 

Lets hope he breaks the injury cycle 

Yup, and it's not like they are recurring. All freak and unrelated. 

He's due for some luck. I do hope they start to shift him outside and hopefully that will cut down on his chance of injury.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anybody else see Michael STRAHAN and get confused For a split-second EVERY TIME they see this name?

I know a lot of us that follow the draft were following the tea leaves on big, athletic, fast wide receivers and a lot of focus was on Terrance Marshall in the 1st or 2nd and Nico Collins in the 3rd o

Me too,  I’m with you!   And for the record, I’ve read Strachan’s name is pronounced Strawn.    But while we’re talking about your mind doing a double take every time you read somethi

Duron Carter and Da’Rick Rogers come to mind as over-hyped Receivers on the Colts - but hey, if Benedict Garçon can make an NFL roster for many years even bring from a small school, why not our 7th Rounder?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, krunk said:

 

Wasn't Marques Colston who played for the Saints a 7th round draft pick out of Hofstra? He had a similar height and weight profile as Michael Strachan, if I am not mistaken. His fortune was he got to play with Brees. Wentz likes those tall guys to throw it up to, like Alshon Jeffrey and Travis Fulgham. Word was the Saints drafted Colston and Graham because due to Brees' height and accuracy, even if he could not see over the OL completely, those big tall targets of Colston and Graham helped him throw it up by their shoulder levels in stride. Let us see how this one goes.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

 

Thanks......that leaves Hooker as the sole draft pick from Ballards drafts to not be on a current nfl roster. 44 of 45 picks rostered, 34 still with the team. Thats not too shabby

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2021 at 8:53 AM, fatboy said:

Duron Carter and Da’Rick Rogers come to mind as over-hyped Receivers on the Colts - but hey, if Benedict Garçon can make an NFL roster for many years even bring from a small school, why not our 7th Rounder?  

i think the difference between them and mike is character . ballard scouts hard for guys who truly love playing football and want to be great vs guys who have amazing talent, and do not want to put in the work .  both those guys if they had the passion and worked non stop would be great .  this is why something like 93 percent of ballards picks are on rosters right now

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2021 at 8:53 AM, fatboy said:

Duron Carter and Da’Rick Rogers come to mind as over-hyped Receivers on the Colts - but hey, if Benedict Garçon can make an NFL roster for many years even bring from a small school, why not our 7th Rounder?  

I agree both these guys ended up as overhyped but for some reason this kid Strachan has me intrigued!  He seems to think he is a first rd talent that got overlooked and it's not only his determination to be great that is intriguing but his film backs up his play.  I recently watched an interview with Strachan and Patrick Peterson that was cool and I don't remember NFL stars saying the same thing about Duron Carter or Rogers?  Again, another 7th rd talent looking to prove that he was overlooked but this one has me intrigued.  If you have the talent to go up and snatch a catch in traffic, you have elite talent no matter who the defender is and he showed this skill over and over.  Again, only a 7th rd prospect but did Rogers, Carter or even our latest fan favorite Dez P showcase this dominant skillset?  I dont care about wide open catches but rather contested catches is what I'm looking at here.  I'm intrigued.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

If you have the talent to go up and snatch a catch in traffic, you have elite talent no matter who the defender is and he showed this skill over and over.  Again, only a 7th rd prospect but did Rogers, Carter or even our latest fan favorite Dez P showcase this dominant skillset?  I dont care about wide open catches but rather contested catches is what I'm looking at here.  I'm intrigued.

Actually, this is typically the most meaningless skillset on it's own. PFF has shown that WR prospects where contested catch ability is their only real strength (lacking speed, good route running, and/or separation ability), historically have an extremely low success rate in the NFL.

 

Also keep in though, Shrachan did all of that against an extremely low level of competition. That's not saying he falls in this category, because I don't think he does, but I wouldn't look at a grown man snagging balls over children's heads as him possessing an "elite skillset". He has some very intriguing attributes like his size and speed that make the contested catches in college feel a bit more promising in translating to the NFL. Personally, I like him as a late round prospect and think there's a chance he could be really good if he puts it all together. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Shive said:

Actually, this is typically the most meaningless skillset on it's own. PFF has shown that WR prospects where contested catch ability is their only real strength (lacking speed, good route running, and/or separation ability), historically have an extremely low success rate in the NFL.

 

Also keep in though, Shrachan did all of that against an extremely low level of competition. That's not saying he falls in this category, because I don't think he does, but I wouldn't look at a grown man snagging balls over children's heads as him possessing an "elite skillset". He has some very intriguing attributes like his size and speed that make the contested catches in college feel a bit more promising in translating to the NFL. Personally, I like him as a late round prospect and think there's a chance he could be really good if he puts it all together. 

Well said Shive!  Just wish we could combine some of these 6th/7th rd receiver prospects and put all their skills together to make one heckuva player!  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We all want to see that the Colts have a "diamond in the rough" somewhere. We've seen them before. Jeff Saturday and Gary Brackett were UDFAs. Robert Mathis was a fifth round choice. The list goes on. It depends so much on how good the coaching staff is and how well a player takes to coaching and training. Is a player willing and able to be a special teamer while being coached and developing their game? If he's a skill position player, is he also willing and able to block? That's a big part of why Zach Pascal has a job. Does someone in that position group get injured? Do I hope someone like Strachan steps up? Absolutely. Chris Ballard and the coaching staff hope for that even more than we do. I think from the group they have, Strachan and Vaughns have the best shot of the UDFA/late round receivers. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2021 at 8:42 PM, EastStreet said:

IMO it had more to do with Reich's play calling than JB fearing anything. Not saying JB was good or accurate deep, but I think he was capable of making Arians or Reid type deep tosses (throw to a spot more so that a WR).

 

We rarely stretched the field in 2019. Or 2020.... Just not sure the 9 route is in Reich's playbook.

It's in there but you weren't going to see it much with an old rivers and brisset throwing the ball

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reece Fountain had a good pre-season in his 2nd year after not doing much his rookie year but I think he was caught up in the number of WR's fighting for the last WR slot.  He still has a shot at being a decent NFL WR if given the opportunity. Playing Mahommes doesn't hurt.  Good luck to him, except when they play the Colts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2021 at 7:38 PM, coming on strong said:

i think the difference between them and mike is character . ballard scouts hard for guys who truly love playing football and want to be great vs guys who have amazing talent, and do not want to put in the work .  both those guys if they had the passion and worked non stop would be great .  this is why something like 93 percent of ballards picks are on rosters right now

98% of his draft picks are on a roster currently - the sole draft pick not - Malik Hooker. He will be though pretty soon!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Stephen said:

It's in there but you weren't going to see it much with an old rivers and brisset throwing the ball

You didn't see it much in 2018 with Luck either.

Rivers was top 10 in deep ball accuracy but not in the top half of the league in attempts. You can rail all you want about Rivers arm strength, but he had a pretty good statistical success rate. He was perfect on sail routes to both MAC and Pascal, which he threw several times vs MN and other early games. Just never saw them much at all later in the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, coltsfan1965 said:

We all want to see that the Colts have a "diamond in the rough" somewhere. We've seen them before. Jeff Saturday and Gary Brackett were UDFAs. Robert Mathis was a fifth round choice. The list goes on. It depends so much on how good the coaching staff is and how well a player takes to coaching and training. Is a player willing and able to be a special teamer while being coached and developing their game? If he's a skill position player, is he also willing and able to block? That's a big part of why Zach Pascal has a job. Does someone in that position group get injured? Do I hope someone like Strachan steps up? Absolutely. Chris Ballard and the coaching staff hope for that even more than we do. I think from the group they have, Strachan and Vaughns have the best shot of the UDFA/late round receivers. 

Thank You 1965 for this post, we all shall see the talent of Strachan or Vaughns in the preseason!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2021 at 6:07 PM, EastStreet said:

Yup, and it's not like they are recurring. All freak and unrelated. 

He's due for some luck. I do hope they start to shift him outside and hopefully that will cut down on his chance of injury.


Moving TY to the slot where it’s harder to double team like the early Luck days when Wayne and Avery/DHB/Nicks were on the outside and TY burst open lots of coverages might work with Pittman and Campbell on the outside, plus the upside you mentioned.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its ok to have a favorite from the list of the unexpected

 

I am also intrigued by Strachan

 

 

Will he be a ROOKIE OF THE YEAR, PRO BOWL, ALL PRO, HOF First Ballot?

 

 

Prolly NOT....  but still wish the guy the best and hope he shines....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...