Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Michael Strachan + UDFA's


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

NCF... always looking for a thoughtful, factual, or statistical reply... lol. Never happens.

That’s because you don’t understand words, sentences, paragraphs or logic. 
 

You know numbers.  Or think you do. 
 

Words are not your friend.   They trip you up every time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That’s because you don’t understand words, sentences, paragraphs or logic. 
 

You know numbers.  Or think you do. 
 

Words are not your friend.   They trip you up every time. 

 

lol.... 

getting paid by the word does not equate to sound logic or reason... 

again, any logical rebuttal with factual data is welcome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

 

lol.... 

getting paid by the word does not equate to sound logic or reason... 

again, any logical rebuttal with factual data is welcome.

Anything I might write is a waste of your time and mine.   I’ve written facts and I’ve written words.   You reject all that aren’t yours.  
 

We should just face the reality we see most things differently.  Maybe not everything, but most things.   
 

I’ll try and stay in a neutral corner.   I didn’t think you’d be so triggered by one negative emoji.  Most of the ones I’ve given you for months now have been in agreement.   Alright...   back to the peace accords.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Anything I might write is a waste of your time and mine.   I’ve written facts and I’ve written words.   You reject all that aren’t yours.  
 

We should just face the reality we see most things differently.  Maybe not everything, but most things.   
 

I’ll try and stay in a neutral corner.   I didn’t think you’d be so triggered by one negative emoji.  Most of the ones I’ve given you for months now have been in agreement.   Alright...   back to the peace accords.  

I volunteer to moderate for the the peace accords.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, krunk said:

I think at least one of those big guys may turn into a nice weapon for Wentz. It looks to me that Strachan got the same number as A. Jeffrey. Would be cool if we could get something out of both Strachan and Patmon to be honest.

Thats the thing i hope.  If only ONE shows up to play.... what a potential weapon.  And what it would do to the offense. We would have WIDE ranges of skills (chess pieces) at WR, TE, and RB.  We’d be able to attack different teams in different ways.

  Man, Carson even plays average ball, We find at least a short-term solution at LT(i’m optimistic), and one of these big WRs comes alive (add Campbell healthy too), and WOW do we have potential on O.  Seriously.

  And this D should be better as well. 
I’m getting more and more excited every day.

  Just LT.  And it’s being addressed as we speak.  I wont get worried until the end of camp.  I expect a solution by then, if not, I’ll stress at that point.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Strachan's highlights were good, but notice it's vs a bunch of undersized DBs. And given he's a small school guy, he'll be making a big step up. NFL DBs are a lot bigger, and a lot faster. 

 

IMO, I like Strachan more than Patmon. His ball tracking skills are better, and he plays bigger and stronger than Patmon. Still, Patmon played against much better competition, so IDK... 

I watched an interview of Strachan completed before the draft, posted on youtube last week and he claimed that he has run the 40 in high 4.3's and that the pro day 40 was slow for him.   

 

He was an adult playing against 10 years old on the field.  He has a measured 85 inch wingspan

 

He is a cocky  confident guy....... comparing himself to Megatron and expecting that he would be picked in the first few rounds

 

Patmon has been working hard this offseason, and has some speed that Pascal doesnt have

 

I hope that Strachan puts in the work, we will have some nice competition at the WR spot

 

I want to see what they look like in pre season

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Thats the thing i hope.  If only ONE shows up to play.... what a potential weapon.  And what it would do to the offense. We would have WIDE ranges of skills (chess pieces) at WR, TE, and RB.  We’d be able to attack different teams in different ways.

  Man, Carson even plays average ball, We find at least a short-term solution at LT(i’m optimistic), and one of these big WRs comes alive (add Campbell healthy too), and WOW do we have potential on O.  Seriously.

  And this D should be better as well. 
I’m getting more and more excited every day.

  Just LT.  And it’s being addressed as we speak.  I wont get worried until the end of camp.  I expect a solution by then, if not, I’ll stress at that point.

They are trying on the LT spot

 

I think CB gets the problem

 

I highly doubt that Tevi is considered the answer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just watched the only tape available on Strachan online - vs West Virginia State. To be fair this seems like it was his worst game of the season, but he didn't impress me much. The CBs that cover him seem tiny and he cannot beat their press-man off the LOS. He gets jammed and his routes interrupted by physically playing defenders. There are several cases where he beats press-man, but it's mostly because of his superior athleticism rather than skill. He is a willing and physical blocker. Runs very limited route tree(mostly go routes and slants). He had some success on the move when he could release uninterrupted and the defender didn't have a chance to put his hands on him, but overall I would say he seems like a serious project.  Right now I cannot see him getting on an NFL roster. IMO it's very likely Ballard will try to sneak him on the practice squad unless he takes a big stept this off-season.  

 

From his highlights tape - he seems pretty athletic against that competition. He does outrun defenders. He has good ballskils - tracks the ball well, catches it securely outside his frame, fights for it and attacks it in the air. You can see the appeal. I just am not sure he will ever be able to beat press-man and get open against NFL level defenders. People above compared him to DK Metcalf but Metcalf is a monster against press-man. He doesn't let defenders put a hand on him... he just overwhelms them with physicality and when they don't try to jam him, he is fast enough to outrun them. 

 

My prediction for him is PS in 2021. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, krunk said:

Get all those big bodies out there along with the top 5 to 10 running game and the play action passing and we should light it up.

Im a bit curious on some thoughts about our big bodies. Do you all think it is absolutley necessary that these guys can nail every route on the tree? From what I gather its mostly about that. Would think having the size advabtage could negate some of that. Isnt that kinda the point? Contested or arrant throws happen on the perfect ran routes also. Seems we have a bit of trouble getting these guys on the field and producing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, stitches said:

I just watched the only tape available on Strachan online - vs West Virginia State. To be fair this seems like it was his worst game of the season, but he didn't impress me much. The CBs that cover him seem tiny and he cannot beat their press-man off the LOS. He gets jammed and his routes interrupted by physically playing defenders. There are several cases where he beats press-man, but it's mostly because of his superior athleticism rather than skill. He is a willing and physical blocker. Runs very limited route tree(mostly go routes and slants). He had some success on the move when he could release uninterrupted and the defender didn't have a chance to put his hands on him, but overall I would say he seems like a serious project.  Right now I cannot see him getting on an NFL roster. IMO it's very likely Ballard will try to sneak him on the practice squad unless he takes a big stept this off-season.  

 

From his highlights tape - he seems pretty athletic against that competition. He does outrun defenders. He has good ballskils - tracks the ball well, catches it securely outside his frame, fights for it and attacks it in the air. You can see the appeal. I just am not sure he will ever be able to beat press-man and get open against NFL level defenders. People above compared him to DK Metcalf but Metcalf is a monster against press-man. He doesn't let defenders put a hand on him... he just overwhelms them with physicality and when they don't try to jam him, he is fast enough to outrun them. 

 

My prediction for him is PS in 2021. 

Eric Swoope anyone?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its hard for me to say with absolute certainty what i see on Strachan until i see him in front of NFL competition. Theres a lot that goes on mentally and route running wise at this level that he will need to get in step with. If he can show in the early stages the ability to be a deep threat then thats something to build on. I dont mind if we take our time with him. As i said before my bet is that Patmon should come out on top bc hes had that year to develop. And hes already spent the offseason getting in tune with Wentz and Pittman. Im betting we are comfortable with where Patmons at. We had the huge PS last year and we never once attempted to put him on it. He stayed on the regular roster from the beginning until the end.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, stitches said:

I just watched the only tape available on Strachan online - vs West Virginia State. To be fair this seems like it was his worst game of the season, but he didn't impress me much. The CBs that cover him seem tiny and he cannot beat their press-man off the LOS. He gets jammed and his routes interrupted by physically playing defenders. There are several cases where he beats press-man, but it's mostly because of his superior athleticism rather than skill. He is a willing and physical blocker. Runs very limited route tree(mostly go routes and slants). He had some success on the move when he could release uninterrupted and the defender didn't have a chance to put his hands on him, but overall I would say he seems like a serious project.  Right now I cannot see him getting on an NFL roster. IMO it's very likely Ballard will try to sneak him on the practice squad unless he takes a big stept this off-season.  

 

From his highlights tape - he seems pretty athletic against that competition. He does outrun defenders. He has good ballskils - tracks the ball well, catches it securely outside his frame, fights for it and attacks it in the air. You can see the appeal. I just am not sure he will ever be able to beat press-man and get open against NFL level defenders. People above compared him to DK Metcalf but Metcalf is a monster against press-man. He doesn't let defenders put a hand on him... he just overwhelms them with physicality and when they don't try to jam him, he is fast enough to outrun them. 

 

My prediction for him is PS in 2021. 

Prediction:
 

Eherlinger, Strachan and Fries all go to the PS,  assuming they can get there and stay there. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Its hard for me to say with absolute certainty what i see on Strachan until i see him in front of NFL competition. Theres a lot that goes on mentally and route running wise at this level that he will need to get in step with. If he can show in the early stages the ability to be a deep threat then thats something to build on. I dont mind if we take our time with him. As i said before my bet is that Patmon should come out on top bc hes had that year to develop. And hes already spent the offseason getting in tune with Wentz and Pittman.

I tend to lean that way as well. Garson had 4 catches in the regular season his rookie year and then took off as a solid number 2 behind Reggie with Collie in the slot (and Clarke/Tamme eating up receptions as well).

 

So I'm guessing He either gets he Patmon treatment and makes the roster but is a healthy scratch every week or they try to stash him on the PS for the season. Either way, by 2022 the combination of Patmon, Pittman, Strachan, Campbell + will be lighting the league up with their combination of size, speed, high point abilities and catch radius! I'd have Pittman and Campbell operating out of the slot or in motion a lot to run the underneath stuff and use their run after the catch abilities.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I watched an interview of Strachan completed before the draft, posted on youtube last week and he claimed that he has run the 40 in high 4.3's and that the pro day 40 was slow for him.   

 

He was an adult playing against 10 years old on the field.  He has a measured 85 inch wingspan

 

He is a cocky  confident guy....... comparing himself to Megatron and expecting that he would be picked in the first few rounds

I'm not buying 4.3s. Not from 4.54 at least. Had he run 4.4s I might agree he was a bit off, but 4.54 to 4.3s is a big big delta in terms of 40 times. He was probably used to hand times and got electronically timed at his pro day. Regardless, he's fast enough at his height to be successful. It's about all the other stuff.

 

I don't mind cocky/confident so long as backs it up. 

7 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

 

Patmon has been working hard this offseason, and has some speed that Pascal doesnt have

 

I hope that Strachan puts in the work, we will have some nice competition at the WR spot

 

I want to see what they look like in pre season

Yup, Patmon has some speed that Pascal never had, and height too. But Pascal does all the other things at a high level like route running, blocking, etc.. If Patmon can learn to run good routes and become more assertive at the catch, he could be special too. It's just really hard learning to be assertive. That's why I like Strachan a bit better. We'll see, it's going to be fun. It's probably good that Patmon has competition coming in to push him.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm not buying 4.3s. Not from 4.54 at least. Had he run 4.4s I might agree he was a bit off, but 4.54 to 4.3s is a big big delta in terms of 40 times. He was probably used to hand times and got electronically timed at his pro day. Regardless, he's fast enough at his height to be successful. It's about all the other stuff.

 

I don't mind cocky/confident so long as backs it up. 

Yup, Patmon has some speed that Pascal never had, and height too. But Pascal does all the other things at a high level like route running, blocking, etc.. If Patmon can learn to run good routes and become more assertive at the catch, he could be special too. It's just really hard learning to be assertive. That's why I like Strachan a bit better. We'll see, it's going to be fun. It's probably good that Patmon has competition coming in to push him.

Pascal does the little things not seen on the stat sheet,  I would be elated if Patmon could be the same.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Prediction:
 

Eherlinger, Strachan and Fries all go to the PS,  assuming they can get there and stay there. 

I think Fries has a chance to make the final roster right now.  That changes when they sign another tackle.  Then he will have to beat someone out unless it’s Fisher and he’s starts the year on PUP.

 

there is something they like about Eherlinger.  It wouldn’t shock me if they have some kinda package for him that Eason and Wentz don’t do.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Prediction:
 

Eherlinger, Strachan and Fries all go to the PS,  assuming they can get there and stay there. 

I’d agree on two out of the three. I think they keep 3 QBs on the roster.... 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

Pascal does the little things not seen on the stat sheet,  I would be elated if Patmon could be the same.

 

Yup. His route running and blocking are exceptional. He just doesn't make mistakes and doesn't take plays off.  It's why he is on an NFL team with the limited traits he has. And his work ethic and character are big too from what I've read. If Campbell and Pittman stay healthy, Pascal will likely lose snaps this year, and will likely get comp from other guys, but he's truly a great guy to have in the WR room. He's overcome physical limitations and the small school background to carve out a nice role for himself. Gotta respect it.

 

And yes, wish all of WRs did those little things as well as ZP does.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think Fries has a chance to make the final roster right now.  That changes when they sign another tackle.  Then he will have to beat someone out unless it’s Fisher and he’s starts the year on PUP.

 

there is something they like about Eherlinger.  It wouldn’t shock me if they have some kinda package for him that Eason and Wentz don’t do.  

Fries?

 

Currently, here’s who is in front of Fries....

 

OT:  Tevi, Davenport, Holden

OG:  Reed, Pinter, other guys whose names I can’t remember

C:     Hunt

 

If Fries makes the roster, one of two things has happened...   lots of injuries in front of him, or Fries was badly evaluated and is far better than we thought. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fries?

 

Currently, here’s who is in front of Fries....

 

OT:  Tevi, Davenport, Holden

OG:  Reed, Pinter, other guys whose names I can’t remember

C:     Hunt

 

If Fries makes the roster, one of two things has happened...   lots of injuries in front of him, or Fries was badly evaluated and is far better than we thought. 

 

I think Fries has value because he can play guard and tackle.  Like I said when he was drafted that he could fill a Swiss Army knife role that they lost when Haeg left.  We shall see.  I am not saying he’s a lock to make the roster but he has a chance.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think Fries has value because he can play guard and tackle.  Like I said when he was drafted that he could fill a Swiss Army knife role that they lost when Haeg left.  We shall see.  I am not saying he’s a lock to make the roster but he has a chance.  

I was just about to say the versatility he brings gets him more consideration. I think Reed and probably Pinter are our back up guards. Maybe you look at Fries, Davenport, and Holden for the swing tackle role. Not sure if any of those guys plays multiple positions other than Fries

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I watched an interview of Strachan completed before the draft, posted on youtube last week and he claimed that he has run the 40 in high 4.3's and that the pro day 40 was slow for him.   

 

He was an adult playing against 10 years old on the field.  He has a measured 85 inch wingspan

 

He is a cocky  confident guy....... comparing himself to Megatron and expecting that he would be picked in the first few rounds

 

Patmon has been working hard this offseason, and has some speed that Pascal doesnt have

 

I hope that Strachan puts in the work, we will have some nice competition at the WR spot

 

I want to see what they look like in pre season

 

 

Do you think our WRs work with people like David Robinson to get better?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2021 at 7:49 PM, Scott Pennock said:

I know a lot of us that follow the draft were following the tea leaves on big, athletic, fast wide receivers and a lot of focus was on Terrance Marshall in the 1st or 2nd and Nico Collins in the 3rd or 4th.

 

Instead they went with the athletic freak in Strachan at 6'5" & 226 lbs with 4.42 speed - aka similar to DK Metcalf (whom we all wanted a couple years ago). Plus picked up two really solid options as UDFA's in Vaughn and Black.

 

Let's face it, this is likely the last year for Hilton (retire) and Pascal (long term deal elsewhere). Which brings me to these questions/scenarios.

 

What if, and I mean what if this Michael guy has a similar impact as Pierre Garcon versus Ashton Dulin (great special teamer, marginal receiver) - using the Division II background.

 

Then you're looking at Pittman at 6'4" (8.24 RAS), Patmon at 6'4" (8.44 RAS), Strachan at 6'5" (9.22 RAS) and presumably the 6'0" Campbell (9.76 RAS) in the slot all testing as elite athletes. This group would make Wentz (and vice versa) look really good. 4000+ yards and 30+ TD's annually good.

 

In theory Wentz isn't a pinpoint passer and big bodied receivers with wide wingspans who box out and high point balls are most successful with him. 

 

I look at Campbell to be Hilton's replacement in 2022.

 

I look at the 6'2" Vaughns (from USC) as a potential replacement for Pascal in 2022, serving as the third down move the chains route runner type. Basically replacing ODU's all-time leader with USC's 2nd leading all-time receiver (behind Robert Woods)

 

Tarik Black at 6'3" & 213 lbs is another big bodied athletic type that suffered thru two broken feet and poor QB play at Michigan before his transfer to TX. I see him as the 6th WR and possibly as a Jordan Matthews/Nelson Agohlar bully slot WR in 2022 as Ashton Dulins replacement in 2022.

 

I know I'm being overly optimistic, but, as my cohort @krunk stated, Vaughn's and Black are both very talented and could be used in 2021 moreso than the potential red-shirt year for Strachan. 

 

This isn't even counting having these guys in the mix:

DeMichael Harris

Quartney Davis

Gary Jennings

J.J. Nelson

 

Wide receiver will be THE BATTLE to watch this off-season/pre-season!!!!

 

 

 

I would hope, and I think Wentz also, that in 2022 our WR group would be a bit better or at least more proven than Pittman and a bunch of low round/UDFA that have nice measurables. Even Campbell is unproven at this point, not being able to be healthy yet. 

 

I get what you say, being optimistic that we have several D.K. Metcalf's on team along with Pittman. :D

I think colts will resign Pascal in future because I don't think he will be expensive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

 

Yup. His route running and blocking are exceptional. He just doesn't make mistakes and doesn't take plays off.  It's why he is on an NFL team with the limited traits he has. And his work ethic and character are big too from what I've read. If Campbell and Pittman stay healthy, Pascal will likely lose snaps this year, and will likely get comp from other guys, but he's truly a great guy to have in the WR room. He's overcome physical limitations and the small school background to carve out a nice role for himself. Gotta respect it.

 

And yes, wish all of WRs did those little things as well as ZP does.


I like and respect Pascal for what he has been able to do...and I hope he will have a role on an NFL team for the next 3-4 years. But he’s really just a WR4 getting WR2 snaps because of the lack of talent in front of him and the fact that he blocks well. This has resulted in some floor production overall, but inconsistent from game to game. I believe he has as many games with <10 yards as he does with >50 yards. 

 

You like to have a guy like Pascal. But for every Pascal...there’s like 10 guys with or without traits that don’t make any kind of real impact. Projecting late-round and UDFA WRs is a mostly fruitless exercise. If one of the guys we are discussing here replicates what Pascal has done...I will be happy.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think Fries has value because he can play guard and tackle.  Like I said when he was drafted that he could fill a Swiss Army knife role that they lost when Haeg left.  We shall see.  I am not saying he’s a lock to make the roster but he has a chance.  

Fries was so bad at tackle he was moved to guard .he got beat by speed rushers so bad he is slow back peddling .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

Do you think our WRs work with people like David Robinson to get better?

I would hope so, but the kid seems to think he has arrived...........................  He needs a lesson in humility before he becomes anything special or even makes the team

 

THIS is why coming to the Colts, where everyone has to work to be accepted in the locker room, is a good place to be

 

Strachan has all the tools, but he needs to keep working to have a chance in this league

39 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Fries was so bad at tackle he was moved to guard .he got beat by speed rushers so bad he is slow back peddling .

He was drafted late for a reason

 

Give him some NFL training, he might be a good player later

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In a league where teams are consistently burning 1st and 2nd round picks on WRs (in some cases on a guy to be their third WR), it is hard to imagine that the Colts have 3/6 or 4/6 parts of a first division WR group with the current combo of late-round picks and UDFAs. 

 

Fun to dream though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

In a league where teams are consistently burning 1st and 2nd round picks on WRs (in some cases on a guy to be their third WR), it is hard to imagine that the Colts have 3/6 or 4/6 parts of a first division WR group with the current combo of late-round picks and UDFAs. 

 

Fun to dream though. 

True to a certain degree. Who is doing the evaluations and doing the drafting are an important factor in there because there are mid to late round WR's that do out-perform those 1st and 2nd round choices on the regular! And let's face it, some teams are downright horrible at drafting!

 

Measurables only get you so far, but heart takes you the rest of the way and nobody does a better job of measuring that innate ability than this staff does, in my humble opinion. Pittman is a 2nd Rounder, Campbell is a 2nd Rounder, Patmon is a 6th Rounder and Strachan is a 7th Rounder so half of the top four were premium picks. Definitely feasible for them to be a first division group - especially when the lowest RAS of the group is the highest drafted pick, so the measurables are there - the only question is the heart?!!?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

True to a certain degree. Who is doing the evaluations and doing the drafting are an important factor in there because there are mid to late round WR's that do out-perform those 1st and 2nd round choices on the regular! And let's face it, some teams are downright horrible at drafting!

 

Measurables only get you so far, but heart takes you the rest of the way and nobody does a better job of measuring that innate ability than this staff does, in my humble opinion. Pittman is a 2nd Rounder, Campbell is a 2nd Rounder, Patmon is a 6th Rounder and Strachan is a 7th Rounder so half of the top four were premium picks. Definitely feasible for them to be a first division group - especially when the lowest RAS of the group is the highest drafted pick, so the measurables are there - the only question is the heart?!!?

 

Mid-round WR is not really the same as late round WR. There are definitely not late-round WRs (or UDFAs) outperforming 1st and 2nd round WRs on the regular. It's a handful of examples. And for every Tyreek Hill or Stefon Diggs, you have dozens that have minimal or almost no impact (from that same draft and UDFA). 

 

Teams still miss on early WRs...but they have gotten better overall...and more importantly...they place a larger value on WR now. This means good WR prospects get drafted before too long. Slot WRs fall because they are limited and aren't hard to find...but we aren't talking about slot WRs.

 

I am not saying Patmon or Stachan are doomed...just that the odds are really stacked against them (historically speaking). 

 

And if we are talking about evaluation...the person/s doing the evaluation for those two players also drafted Fountain, Cain and Campbell...while passing on other really good WR prospects. So that doesn't give us much to fall back on.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speed in shorts, doesn't always equal speed in gear. Different experiences can bring out things in people in ways that are unexpected. Strachan might fail, and he might succeed. One thing I have learned about competition is, you can't fully predict anything. Sometimes a guy looks great in college, but he melts like warm butter at the pro level. On the other hand, players can suddenly make the jump at the next level. Sometimes a guy plays up to the level of the people he competes against every day. What if Strachan gets the proverbial punch in the gut next season and it really pisses him off? Then he goes "I'm going to prove you all wrong" mode and flips that switch?

 

Every pick.......every, single, pick........is a crap shoot. Sure, some have far more odds of success, but successes and busts are littered all over the draft slot landscape. After the top 10 picks or so....every player has some trait that isn't ideal. The farther down the pick process you go, the more of those "less than ideal" things pop up per player.

 

Physical measurable (ht, wt, wingspan, etc.)

Intelligence

Coachability

Playing measurables (speed, 3 cone, etc.)

Experience (years, competition, scheme)

and so on......

 

What do we know about this young man? His physical measurables are small percentile unique. Was he coached to succeed at the next level? To borrow Ballard's style......Look, I think that Charleston got a rare sized player in their program, and they made the most of it. This isn't Alabama or OSU, where their reputation at developing players to make it at the pro level is part of their recruiting program. What could this kid do with NFL coaching, NFL level workout facilities, and diet programs?

 

Time will tell. But color me excited because few stories outdo the success stories of this possibility. I'm rooting for him.  

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

 

Mid-round WR is not really the same as late round WR. There are definitely not late-round WRs (or UDFAs) outperforming 1st and 2nd round WRs on the regular. It's a handful of examples. And for every Tyreek Hill or Stefon Diggs, you have dozens that have minimal or almost no impact (from that same draft and UDFA). 

 

Teams still miss on early WRs...but they have gotten better overall...and more importantly...they place a larger value on WR now. This means good WR prospects get drafted before too long. Slot WRs fall because they are limited and aren't hard to find...but we aren't talking about slot WRs.

 

I am not saying Patmon or Stachan are doomed...just that the odds are really stacked against them (historically speaking). 

 

And if we are talking about evaluation...the person/s doing the evaluation for those two players also drafted Fountain, Cain and Campbell...while passing on other really good WR prospects. So that doesn't give us much to fall back on.

 

 

No one can deny Campbells talent - he's been hurt by freak injuries.

 

Fountain and Cain fall into your late round flyers category where they weren't likely to make it anyways. Who ironically, also suffered injuries that stifled their development - with us. Cain is with Pittsburg I believe and Fountain is still a street free agent.

 

The consensus last year was Patmon fell in the draft because of how deep it was whereas he normally would have been a 4th round pick versus a 6th. Strachan is your typical late round flyer on a small school prospect with big measurables and big production. Some hit and some don't. I'd be happy with Garcon production from Strachan and that would be a draft win!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, shasta519 said:


I like and respect Pascal for what he has been able to do...and I hope he will have a role on an NFL team for the next 3-4 years. But he’s really just a WR4 getting WR2 snaps because of the lack of talent in front of him and the fact that he blocks well. This has resulted in some floor production overall, but inconsistent from game to game. I believe he has as many games with <10 yards as he does with >50 yards. 

 

You like to have a guy like Pascal. But for every Pascal...there’s like 10 guys with or without traits that don’t make any kind of real impact. Projecting late-round and UDFA WRs is a mostly fruitless exercise. If one of the guys we are discussing here replicates what Pascal has done...I will be happy.

 

 

No doubt he should be a depth guy, but he's a great depth guy. And he's a really good guy to have blocking on run plays.

Simply put, you can't have all superstars. Our problem has not been Pascal, it's been injury and or age to our 1-3s. As far as the other guys like Patmon and Strachan, nobody knows. They both have the physical traits which is a good base to start with. Takes a like more though. We'll see. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2021 at 1:13 AM, EastStreet said:

Hoping Patmon has upped his game, and Pittman, Patmon, and Strachan all push each other. There's only room for 2 of the 3 IMO, if Pascal is a given, and maybe not even that depending on how the other side (Z/slot) is doing.

 

Personally, I loved Patmon last year when we grabbed him. But his own coach said he needed to play bigger. I'm hoping he worked on that all off season. It's rare to be 6-4 and sub 4.5s. He has the natural gifts for sure. Need to find the dog in himself. Strachan seems to have the dog. Not sure if he has all the other stuff. I love the thought of both guys, and Pittman pushing each other.

Here's to which ever prospect ups their game to become elite!  Pittman is a given and Pascal is a decent 3rd-4th option but the colts will benefit if one of these go up and grab it prospects actually turns out.  May the best man win for you and me!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Here's to which ever prospect ups their game to become elite!  Pittman is a given and Pascal is a decent 3rd-4th option but the colts will benefit if one of these go up and grab it prospects actually turns out.  May the best man win for you and me!

It would be nice to have a quality, true backup X to Pittman. Pascal is a tweener, and IMO, best at big-slot. 

 

X seems to be in good shape, better than Z and traditional slot at this point. By biggest prayer, is that Campbell can stay healthy.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

It would be nice to have a quality, true backup X to Pittman. Pascal is a tweener, and IMO, best at big-slot. 

 

X seems to be in good shape, better than Z and traditional slot at this point. By biggest prayer, is that Campbell can stay healthy.

The injuries for Campbell continues to surprise me. He was very healthy at THE Ohio State University

 

The kid can play.

 

Lets hope he breaks the injury cycle 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

The injuries for Campbell continues to surprise me. He was very healthy at THE Ohio State University

 

The kid can play.

 

Lets hope he breaks the injury cycle 

Not many people can take a hit straight to their knee like he did and not injure something, so I don't hold that one against him. I'm hopeful that the injuries his rookie year were outliers and he can stay healthy for the rest of his career.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...