Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR: Way early 53 man roster prediction (with RAS figs)

EastStreet

WRs on the 53  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 2: Assuming we keep 6, and 4 are obvious (Hilton, Pittman, Campbell, Pascal), what 2 other WRs make the 53?

2. 2. How many WRs will we keep on the 53?

3. 3. Will Campbell (slot) and Hilton (Z) swap positions this year or at least Campbell play some outside (Z)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/01/2021 at 12:06 AM

Listed by height

Assumed 53 locks in blue

Name / Height / Weight / 40 Time

Mike Strachan 6-5 / 224 / 4.54

Michael Pittman 6-4 / 223 / 4.52 (Starting X)

Dezmon Patmon 6-4 / 225 / 4.48

Tarik Black 6-3 / 213 / 4.54

Zach Pascal 6-2 / 214 / 4.55 (4th WR, X backup, will play big-slot too)

Tyler Vaughns 6-2 / 184 / 4.69 (4.62 also reported)

Ashton Dulin 6-1 / 215 / 4.43

Gary Jennings 6-1 / 216 / 4.43

Quartney Davis 6-1 / 200 / 5.54

Parris Campbell 6-0 / 208 / 4.31 (Starting slot, move to Z this year?)

JJ Nelson 5-10 / 160 / 4.28

TY Hilton 5-10 / 183 /  4.34 (Starting Z, move to slot this year?)

DeMichael Harris 5-8 / 178 / 4.37

RAS (could not find Nelson or Harris) 

Mike-Strachan-RAS.jpeg?w=703

EWZ72EHXkAEZFLR.png

EWepY0HWsAAhLH5.png

EySirQsXMAgw1v3?format=png&name=900x900

zach-pascal-ras-15160.png?resize=806,522

Tyler-Vaughns-RAS.jpeg

D5ze5RcW4AEqRml?format=png&name=small

gary-jennings-ras-17687.png

Quartney-Davis-RAS-18208.png?resize=806,

parris-campbell-ras-17681.png?resize=806

t.y.-hilton-ras-10264.png?resize=806,522

I voted Patmon and Harris, 6, and yes (Campbell will at least play some outside).

I don't see us keeping more than 2 bigs given Pascal's history playing X and big-slot, and Patmon gets the edge on being the second big since he's been here a year already, and has already played pitch and catch a bit with Wentz. Wouldn't shock me though if Strachan beat him out. I chose Harris because I think he provides some upside that Dulin doesn't has. And since Rodgers had a lot of success in the return game, Dulin's STs play may not be as in-need as it was last year. 

I think we keep 6, but wouldn't be shocked to see us carry 7 early. I think Campbell's health and how he looks will impact that decision. 

On Z/slot, and Campbell moving outside, both CB and FR mentioned that was the plan (Campbell to gradually work outside) when they drafted him. Given his injury luck, moving him out of slot sooner than later might be the plan. The fact TY's time is nearing an end, they need to find that answer anyway.

I see some folks voted Patmon and Stracham.

Really doubt they would keep basically 4 X-type WRs... Pittman is our staring X. Pascal has played X before drafting Pittman, has backed up Pittman (or rotated in at X) and has played big-slot. I can see them keeping Patmon OR Stracham, but not both. 

Unless Reich really changes things, he'll keep 3 shifty guys for Z and traditional slot, and 3 for X and big slot. And normally one of the 3 z/traditional slot guys is involved in returns. 

2 hours ago, life long said:

Do we know roster sizes with there being 17 games? I doubt it will be kept at 53...

For right now...   it’s 53.

Whether it stars that way for the next 3-4 months is a bit of an open question.   The two sides, the Players Association and the Owners/Management are fighting.  It’s not good but it’s unclear if things will get better or worse?   

Is it against the rules to play a 6-4 guy in the slot to run crossers and slants? Is .10 of a second difference not enough for 6-5 guy to overcome against a 6-0 guy that doesnt really know where you are going? With this type of size could be bully slot, bully X, big bullies everywhere then pound it down their throats with run game taboot. TY is a great Colt. The Ghost is also very fitting lets not forget, so he got paid to teach and mentor this year. We need a guy that cant be ghosted. We keep 6, Campbell plays TY, and we use our mismatches everywhere.

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I voted Patmon and Harris, 6, and yes (Campbell will at least play some outside).

I don't see us keeping more than 2 bigs given Pascal's history playing X and big-slot, and Patmon gets the edge on being the second big since he's been here a year already, and has already played pitch and catch a bit with Wentz. Wouldn't shock me though if Strachan beat him out. I chose Harris because I think he provides some upside that Dulin doesn't has. And since Rodgers had a lot of success in the return game, Dulin's STs play may not be as in-need as it was last year. 

I think we keep 6, but wouldn't be shocked to see us carry 7 early. I think Campbell's health and how he looks will impact that decision. 

On Z/slot, and Campbell moving outside, both CB and FR mentioned that was the plan (Campbell to gradually work outside) when they drafted him. Given his injury luck, moving him out of slot sooner than later might be the plan. The fact TY's time is nearing an end, they need to find that answer anyway.

I really like the Vaughn's  kid think he will be a Hakeem knicks type player who can catch in traffic  

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I see some folks voted Patmon and Stracham.

Really doubt they would keep basically 4 X-type WRs... Pittman is our staring X. Pascal has played X before drafting Pittman, has backed up Pittman (or rotated in at X) and has played big-slot. I can see them keeping Patmon OR Stracham, but not both. 

Unless Reich really changes things, he'll keep 3 shifty guys for Z and traditional slot, and 3 for X and big slot. And normally one of the 3 z/traditional slot guys is involved in returns. 

Vaughn's  and patmon stracham becomes a te

5 hours ago, Stephen said:

I really like the Vaughn's  kid think he will be a Hakeem knicks type player who can catch in traffic  

I like him too, but as a CFB WR. He was consistent as heck at USC, and very good at some things, but just very limited. Running 4.6s at 185lbs might be something that's hard to overcome. Nicks has about 25lbs on Vaughns, so they're very different to me in terms of profiles. I wouldn't be shocked though if Vaughns fights his tail off and makes some noise. He's basically a slower, lighter, version of Pascal. Just not sure he's a fit given our WR unit makeup already. Now I might feel different if Campbell got hurt again. I'd love Vaughns to at least stick on the PS at minimum.

5 hours ago, Stephen said:

Vaughn's  and patmon stracham becomes a te

Patmon isn't physical enough to play TE.

I think Strachan has the demeanor and physicality to make the change, but he's already said he seems himself as a natural WR, and all the teams that were trying to land, none mentioned or asked him to try TE. Don't see it happening this early, but perhaps if he can't find a home as a WR on a 53 somewhere, it happens down the road. I think his traits will really interest a lot of teams should he not make our 53.

I think you should dig into Vaughns measurables and film. He'll never be an X given his stature (so not really in comp with Patmon, Pittman, or Strachan). He'll never be a Z type given his speed. He's very limited in where he fits, and that's probably slot. Given we have Campbell as primary slot (unless he moves to Z), and Pascal getting a lot of slot minutes, it's just a tough situation for Vaughns. Then you have to factor in all the other comp.

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Patmon isn't physical enough to play TE.

I think Strachan has the demeanor and physicality to make the change, but he's already said he seems himself as a natural WR, and all the teams that were trying to land, none mentioned or asked him to try TE. Don't see it happening this early, but perhaps if he can't find a home as a WR on a 53 somewhere, it happens down the road. I think his traits will really interest a lot of teams should he not make our 53.

I think you should dig into Vaughns measurables and film. He'll never be an X given his stature (so not really in comp with Patmon, Pittman, or Strachan). He'll never be a Z type given his speed. He's very limited in where he fits, and that's probably slot. Given we have Campbell as primary slot (unless he moves to Z), and Pascal getting a lot of slot minutes, it's just a tough situation for Vaughns. Then you have to factor in all the other comp.

I was referring  to strachan

17 hours ago, stitches said:

How certain are we Pittman can even play X?

He did a usc

I voted for 5 WRs since I feel we will have 5 RBs with Deon Jackson making the roster used for KR and PR.

I think Strachan will show us something that Patmon didn't and will make the roster over him as the 5th WR.

If there is an injury, that is when we bring in a 6th WR. Again, just speculative guessing :dunno:

On 5/9/2021 at 7:41 AM, Stephen said:

be surprised with his RAS score... not typical for Ballard to keep people who don't test high...jus sayin

48 minutes ago, CS Coltsfan said:

be surprised with his RAS score... not typical for Ballard to keep people who don't test high...jus sayin

I'm not really high on his chances to be honest, but I do see a path to depth slot depending on how they feel about Campbell's heath (as well as PC's potential to move outside). He did play in a big time pro style O and was productive over his career at USC. He also had some great WRs taking a lot of attention around him though.

I voted Patmon and Dulin.  My gut tells me they wouldn't have kept Patmon on the 53 but inactive all of last year if they weren't seeing something they could develop.  We knew he was a development type player when he was drafted... with all the injuries we had last year, I think they would've sent him to the PS unless they were very concerned he'd be scooped up and we'd lose talent (they seemed to be fine bouncing guys like M. Johnson, Harris, etc. back and forth from the PS and those guys actually suited up on Sundays).  

Then, I voted 7 WRs (at least to start).  Harris reminds me quite a bit of Hines - very explosive with the ball in his hands and can probably play that hybrid RB/WR role.  I know it'll be tough to keep 7 WRs, especially if we keep 4 RBs (Taylor, Hines, Wilkins and Mack), but I could see Mack starting the year on PUP as they ease him back from a bad injury.

Stachan has ridiculous size and very good speed.  He was dominant at the DII level, though IMO DII college FB is worse than D3 college football and he'll have some major adjusting to do at the NFL level.   

@EastStreetI get your logic of letting Dulin go b/c of Rodgers' success in the return game... that said, I think Dulin is more valuable on STs as a gunner than a return man.  

Finally, I voted yes on the PC question - I think we'll see him bounce around a bit this year and I hope we get to see him stay healthy for once.  The kid shows flashes when he's on the field.

8 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I voted Patmon and Dulin.  My gut tells me they wouldn't have kept Patmon on the 53 but inactive all of last year if they weren't seeing something they could develop.  We knew he was a development type player when he was drafted... with all the injuries we had last year, I think they would've sent him to the PS unless they were very concerned he'd be scooped up and we'd lose talent (they seemed to be fine bouncing guys like M. Johnson, Harris, etc. back and forth from the PS and those guys actually suited up on Sundays).  

Then, I voted 7 WRs (at least to start).  Harris reminds me quite a bit of Hines - very explosive with the ball in his hands and can probably play that hybrid RB/WR role.  I know it'll be tough to keep 7 WRs, especially if we keep 4 RBs (Taylor, Hines, Wilkins and Mack), but I could see Mack starting the year on PUP as they ease him back from a bad injury.

Stachan has ridiculous size and very good speed.  He was dominant at the DII level, though IMO DII college FB is worse than D3 college football and he'll have some major adjusting to do at the NFL level.   

@EastStreetI get your logic of letting Dulin go b/c of Rodgers' success in the return game... that said, I think Dulin is more valuable on STs as a gunner than a return man.  

Finally, I voted yes on the PC question - I think we'll see him bounce around a bit this year and I hope we get to see him stay healthy for once.  The kid shows flashes when he's on the field.

IMO, they kept Patmon on the 53 because he had the size and speed that would intrigue some teams that might be shopping, but also because we needed to keep another X since Pittman was a rook, and Pascal (who isn't really a true X) was going to play a decent amount from slot. This year it's probably the same situation, but now we have 2 choices for that second X.

I love Dulin, and have been a fan since signed. And I love the gunner aspects. Still just not sure that will be enough unless he can find a niche in the WR area. He's been bounced all around, but mostly he's running clear outs for other guys from the film I've watched. I hated when they had him running X routes at times. Given his size profile, I wish they'd just keep him at slot or Z and let him settle in a bit. IMO, he'd be best at slot. Just really depends on what their plans are for PC though I guess. Overall, I have not been a big fan of Reich and Groh's WR development. They try to put some round objects in square holes. I do like Harris as well, but his size profile limits him a bit. If he can hold up, would love to see him get a chance at slot if they move PC outside.

I think moving PC outside might ease the chance of injury. That's on top of the obvious need to find a replacement for TY.

One comment that I liked hearing from Ballard this week was that Strachan was less raw than one would expect coming from a small school.

He also said Patmon has major upside playing outside the numbers.

I still think only one of the two above makes the 53. And I think I'm leading more an more toward Strachan as I think he can flex inside and outside, and simply plays bigger.

On 5/8/2021 at 5:05 PM, EastStreet said:

Listed by height

Assumed 53 locks in blue

Name / Height / Weight / 40 Time

Mike Strachan 6-5 / 224 / 4.54

Michael Pittman 6-4 / 223 / 4.52 (Starting X)

Dezmon Patmon 6-4 / 225 / 4.48

Tarik Black 6-3 / 213 / 4.54

Zach Pascal 6-2 / 214 / 4.55 (4th WR, X backup, will play big-slot too)

Tyler Vaughns 6-2 / 184 / 4.69 (4.62 also reported)

Ashton Dulin 6-1 / 215 / 4.43

Gary Jennings 6-1 / 216 / 4.43

Quartney Davis 6-1 / 200 / 5.54

Parris Campbell 6-0 / 208 / 4.31 (Starting slot, move to Z this year?)

JJ Nelson 5-10 / 160 / 4.28

TY Hilton 5-10 / 183 /  4.34 (Starting Z, move to slot this year?)

DeMichael Harris 5-8 / 178 / 4.37

RAS (could not find Nelson or Harris) 

Mike-Strachan-RAS.jpeg?w=703

EWZ72EHXkAEZFLR.png

EWepY0HWsAAhLH5.png

EySirQsXMAgw1v3?format=png&name=900x900

zach-pascal-ras-15160.png?resize=806,522

Tyler-Vaughns-RAS.jpeg

D5ze5RcW4AEqRml?format=png&name=small

gary-jennings-ras-17687.png

Quartney-Davis-RAS-18208.png?resize=806,

parris-campbell-ras-17681.png?resize=806

t.y.-hilton-ras-10264.png?resize=806,522

I voted Patmon and Strachan, Strachan is a stretch but I love his size. I say we keep 6, and I voted yes. I can see TY and Campbell playing both at times.

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I voted Patmon and Strachan, Strachan is a stretch but I love his size. I say we keep 6, and I voted yes. I can see TY and Campbell playing both at times.

I just can't see us only keeping 2 speedy/shift guys given Campbell's history.  Even without Campbell's injury history, I would still think we keep at least 3 speedy Z/traditional-slot guys.

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I just can't see us only keeping 2 speedy/shift guys given Campbell's history.  Even without Campbell's injury history, I would still think we keep at least 3 speedy Z/traditional-slot guys.

Yeah the Campbell injury history did cross my mind as it has many I am sure. I am so glad we re-signed TY, he doesn't have the speed as he once did but still can out run several DB's. I actually like Dulin but I doubt he makes the roster of 53.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah the Campbell injury history did cross my mind as it has many I am sure. I am so glad we re-signed TY, he doesn't have the speed as he once did but still can out run several DB's. I actually like Dulin but I doubt he makes the roster of 53.

I'm guessing we keep 3 of each stack.

X and big slot:  Pittman + Pascal + ?

Z and traditional slot:  TY + Campbell + ?

Currently, I'm trending Strachan and Harris. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm guessing we keep 3 of each stack.

X and big slot:  Pittman + Pascal + ?

Z and traditional slot:  TY + Campbell + ?

Currently, I'm trending Strachan and Harris. 

Harris could make it too I agree. We have some overall talent here. It will be interesting to see what Reich does.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Harris could make it too I agree. We have some overall talent here. It will be interesting to see what Reich does.

Something that would be interesting to me is seeing Patmon work at Z if his route running and ball tracking is up to snuff. I think he's fast enough, just not sure he'd be good on cuts. I'd love to see a 9 or backshoulder though.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Something that would be interesting to me is seeing Patmon work at Z if his route running and ball tracking is up to snuff. I think he's fast enough, just not sure he'd be good on cuts. I'd love to see a 9 or backshoulder though.

Yeah sort of like a Flanker, next to the TE. That would be interesting, he has the talent, size, and speed to do so but his route running is questionable like you basically said. I do think he makes the 53 so we will see.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah sort of like a Flanker, next to the TE. That would be interesting, he has the talent, size, and speed to do so but his route running is questionable like you basically said. I do think he makes the 53 so we will see.

A Z can line up everywhere, and is typically your motion WR. I'd like to see him (Patmon) in motion with some build up speed with his size doing a 9 route. Would be a great mismatch opportunity and/or likely take up a double. 

But in general, tired of seeing our Z (Hilton) on the outside, typically the sideline, trying to do a back shoulder or quick come back. I'd simply prefer either someone quicker with better run-separation (like Campbell) or someone bigger that would be more of a mismatch. I think Hilton's last-cut separation and route running would be best used in the slot. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

A Z can line up everywhere, and is typically your motion WR. I'd like to see him (Patmon) in motion with some build up speed with his size doing a 9 route. Would be a great mismatch opportunity and/or likely take up a double. 

But in general, tired of seeing our Z (Hilton) on the outside, typically the sideline, trying to do a back shoulder or quick come back. I'd simply prefer either someone quicker with better run-separation (like Campbell) or someone bigger that would be more of a mismatch. I think Hilton's last-cut separation and route running would be best used in the slot. 

Yeah he would be a handful coming off motion and running straight toward someone. Do you feel comfortable with Pittman being the main X? I am ok with it for now. I think in year 2 (this upcoming season) he will be much better, he had an ok rookie season, I would say above average at worse so it is promising. 

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah he would be a handful coming off motion and running straight toward someone. Do you feel comfortable with Pittman being the main X? I am ok with it for now. I think in year 2 (this upcoming season) he will be much better, he had an ok rookie season, I would say above average at worse so it is promising. 

Yup. I like Pittman a lot. We haven't had a legit X in the last 15-20 years. Always had smaller speedy guys featured like TY, Marvin, and Reggie and never a good legit big partner at X. Over the last 5 years, our Xs have been tweener guys like Pascal, Grant, Inman, etc.. Funch was a legit X type but we all know what happened there. I literally can't think of legit X type that was 6-3 or bigger in the last 20 years for the Colts.

With Reich's brand of O, I think Pittman will be used a ton. IIRC, very good catch rate compared to the other WRs. Pretty good route running in year one, and great blend of size and speed. If Campbell stays healthy, I think he'll lead us in yards, but if he struggles again, I think Pittman will lead us.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. I like Pittman a lot. We haven't had a legit X in the last 15-20 years. Always had smaller speedy guys featured like TY, Marvin, and Reggie and never a good legit big partner at X. Over the last 5 years, our Xs have been tweener guys like Pascal, Grant, Inman, etc.. Funch was a legit X type but we all know what happened there. I literally can't think of legit X type that was 6-3 or bigger in the last 20 years for the Colts.

With Reich's brand of O, I think Pittman will be used a ton. IIRC, very good catch rate compared to the other WRs. Pretty good route running in year one, and great blend of size and speed. If Campbell stays healthy, I think he'll lead us in yards, but if he struggles again, I think Pittman will lead us.

Yeah that really stinks with happened with Funch, his injury was unfortunate. I was wanting to see his game in a Colts uni. I am ok with Pittman as well.

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the last two WR spots go to Patmon, who Ballard just spoke highly of this week, and Duhlin.  His ST work gives him the edge for the last spot. 

He also talked highly of Strachan, so just not sure who wins out between Patmon and Strachan. I think Strachan has the edge though, especially from a possession perspective.

I love Dulin. His return STs value faded as the year went along, but his return-coverage was great. Not sure if that will be enough unless he can find a larger roll as WR. Harris is intriguing to me too given his gimmick potential. 

Overall, love the comp this year for the spots. Best it's been in a while IMO. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah that really stinks with happened with Funch, his injury was unfortunate. I was wanting to see his game in a Colts uni. I am ok with Pittman as well.

Wasn't a big fan of the Funch signing, but was hopeful once he signed. He signed with GB last year for a cheap contract (much cheaper than the Indy contract) and then opted out lol. He then took a pay cut to stay another year in GB for this year.

There was a youtube video he did, where he talked about his financial goals. Basically said his Indy contract would set him up for life based on his budget. While I applaud his budget and financial goal setting, just seemed strange to me. Got the vibe that playing wasn't really a driving desire for him. 

Archived