Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Sando] NFL Execs on the draft: "Despite the depth at OL, the draft lacked pure LTs worthy of early selection. The Colts didn't reach for one"

• stitches changed the title to [Sando] NFL Execs on the draft: "Despite the depth at OL, the draft lacked pure LTs worthy of early selection. The Colts didn't reach for one"
45 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Soooo Ballard once again told us exactly what he was going to do or not do and why but people ignored it because it’s not what they wanted?

Seriously Ballard is probably one of the most transparent GMs in the league in telling what they're looking to do and why.

• Like 2

The Ballard cheerleader in me: I told ya, I told ya...:thmup:

The Devil's advocate in me (quoting Simon Cowell): Talk is cheap, let us see how it plays out on the field...:peek:

• Like 1

“That’s a lot of investment in that position and, really, how many of them have panned out?” an exec said. “Dayo can be a really good player if he gets healthy. Long, big, athletic guy, could have been a first-rounder if he didn’t have the Achilles. He might be a guy that needed a year of development anyway.”

We keep hearing this, this time from someone presumably not with the Colts. I admit, I don't see it with Dayo. The tools and physicality, sure. First rounder??? I'm gonna keep watching him for sure. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Superman said:

We keep hearing this, this time from someone presumably not with the Colts. I admit, I don't see it with Dayo. The tools and physicality, sure. First rounder??? I'm gonna keep watching him for sure. 

You know I largely agree with you but to play devil's advocate... Have you seen Rousseau? (I didn't see him as 1st rounder either, but...) He got picked in the 1st by the Bills. How different as prospects are Rousseau and Dayo? I can argue Dayo actually has better tools and athleticism than Rousseau and both are raw technically, but play physically and with good motor. Who would you rather have if Dayo had a clean bill of health? 

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Superman said:

First rounder if he had been healthy.   The last five words are pretty important.  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

First rounder if he had been healthy.   The last five words are pretty important.  

I think he means he's not seeing 1st round tape on Dayo.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I gotta watch Rousseau carefully to answer that. I've only seen him briefly.

I came away unimpressed. He was at his best inside where he was just more athletic than the IOL. I don't think his college tape translated to success in the NFL.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Soooo Ballard once again told us exactly what he was going to do or not do and why but people ignored it because it’s not what they wanted?

that is exactly what i wanted we have 4 very good to elite offensive line plus great depth at center guard and tackle .  colts biggest weakness was DE by far with houston and autry leaving and only having turray who showed flashes and rochelle who is more of a set the edge type of player who is good at stopping the run .  

Now we have two very high level edge guys who will be the new mathis and freeney for a decade .

32 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For sure. I'm saying I don't see that kind of standout prospect, based on the games I watched. He was good, usually the best player on the field, and he has position versatility, etc. I didn't think he was a first round guy though.

27 minutes ago, Shive said:

I came away unimpressed. He was at his best inside where he was just more athletic than the IOL. I don't think his college tape translated to success in the NFL.

You mean Rousseau, or Dayo?

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I think Rousseau. I came away with the same impression on Rousseau. 

• Like 1

Yes, of course that injury a pretty important. But if the Colts are not obsessed with him playing (much) this year but is looking more longterm (which most drafted guys are anyway), it is an intriguing pick. But yeah, we fans wants immediately satisfaction. I really can't be worked up over them picking Dayo when there was no elite LT around that pick anyway.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

I think he means he's not seeing 1st round tape on Dayo.

He's slow, he ran about what a above average DT would run. He's just long, and in college you can get away with a lot of things that you can't in the NFL.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Superman said:

Rousseau.

I really liked Dayo early on. I didn't have him in the 1st, but definitely the 2nd.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Yeah Leatherwood should not have gone in the first round either, but he did.

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

He absolutely did. I said early this offseason that it was apparent that Ballard would spend resources (whether money in free agency or early in the draft) on defensive end and line in general, wouldn’t force the issue on the quarterback situation and would be diligent in replacing castonzo, and bring in veterans o-line for depth. When Kevin Mawae made his comments in March about not moving Quenton Nelson, I knew that wasn’t an option. They would be confident with the 4 in place and would find a suitable replacement somehow without forcing the issue or overspending. Reich has said that the o-line and d-line don’t need 5 guys. They need 8. We’ve seen it time and time again. We saw it in the super bowl last year. This team under Ballard will always look to improve and invest in the trenches and they did that this year. Left tackle is a concern, but it’s not one that was going to be fixed in the draft apparently. 

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yup...   a few of us were saying it as far back as late January, roughly 3 months before the draft.   A very good and deep class for tackles, but most of the tackles were right tackles, not left.

And almost nobody wanted to hear it.  

5 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I hope people give them time before making judgements.  I seem to remember it took Freeney  a “minute” to get it together.

I read somewhere (Kevin Bowen) in the last few days that Freeney didn’t start in his rookie season until November.   I suspect most longtime Colts fans don’t even remember that.  

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I read somewhere (Kevin Bowen) in the last few days that Freeney didn’t start in his rookie season until November.   I suspect most longtime Colts fans don’t even remember that.  

I remembered it was something like that.  I’m trying to think who we had on the roster at the time.  Chad Bradski?  Haha.  I always felt Mathis was possibly the more productive one, but Freeney got most of the pub. Man, did we have it good with those two.  Imagine them with Buckner.   

Sometimes we fans expect these young kids to step in and be Deacon Jones from day 1. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

His breakout game came against the Eagles mid way through his rookie season.  Indy was a big underdog that day and killed the Eagles in Philly. 

• Thanks 1