Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Rookie Mini Camp Updates (MERGE)

Scott Pennock

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Off topic because you brought up Rocky, Rocky IV came out in 1985, hard to believe that was 36 years ago. Having said that unless someone is 45 years old or older they don't realize how tough and great the players were during the 80's. They even had athlete's back then that were quicker, stronger, and bigger than players that play today which is hard to believe. I would fell comfortable with Joe Montana being my QB and regarding athletes go, Lawrence Taylor, Deion Sanders and Jerry Rice would toy around with anyone today. Reggie White and Anthony Munoz would squash any player today like a cockroach lmao.  Those 5 players came out in the 80's.

To topic on hand, I think @NewColtsFanis right, everyone gets their own separate room.

Guys were tougher back then IMO, but they weren't necessarily faster or stronger. The average guy today is getting much much better strength and conditioning coaching. Programs like Bama, OSU, Clemson, ND, etc are insane in the $ and effort they put into to athletic development. HSs are many levels above too. When I played in the 80s for one of the better HSs for football, we were mean, strong, and tough. Two SCs. But today, kids are faster and stronger and much more advanced than guys back then. Way better coaching too. 

Sure you have outliers like Taylor, Sanders, etc... but they were... outliers. The gaps are not as big today. Nowadays you have HS programs like IMG that get the best of the best nationally, and have the best coaching and facilities. Back then is was a bench, bar, squat rack, and some pullies. Now you have guys wearing bands in HS that measure stuff, nutrition programs, and every type of weight machine you can think of.

11 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Guys were tougher back then IMO, but they weren't necessarily faster or stronger. The average guy today is getting much much better strength and conditioning coaching. Programs like Bama, OSU, Clemson, ND, etc are insane in the $ and effort they put into to athletic development. HSs are many levels above too. When I played in the 80s for one of the better HSs for football, we were mean, strong, and tough. Two SCs. But today, kids are faster and stronger and much more advanced than guys back then. Way better coaching too. 

Sure you have outliers like Taylor, Sanders, etc... but they were... outliers. The gaps are not as big today. Nowadays you have HS programs like IMG that get the best of the best nationally, and have the best coaching and facilities. Back then is was a bench, bar, squat rack, and some pullies. Now you have guys wearing bands in HS that measure stuff, nutrition programs, and every type of weight machine you can think of.

i watched a show about the sport science of guys getting faster and stronger .  It seems like technology in gear footwear and surfaces play the biggest role in speed .  when it comes to track they used to run on cement blocks which steals energy now they run on high grade material that is designed not to steal energy . same with nfl most teams got rid of regular grass for high speed abilities .   also body type plays a huge role they did not have the science on what type of body runs faster or is suitable for each position now they know based on leg length and arm length if you can make the league .  plus your point about training is dead on add on science of diet and supplements .

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Technology is definitely better and so is sports medicine today, no debate from me there but I could put a full defense out there from players that got drafted in the 80's that were not only tougher than todays players but yes just as big, fast, and athletic.

I will play a 3-4

DE Bruce Smith = all-time leader in sacks.

DT 'The Fridge' just for craps and gigles = my 330 pounder

DE Reggie White = Best ever D.Lineman

OLB LT = Best ever

LB Kevin Greene

LB Mike Singletary

OLB Derrick Thomas = is Von Miller in todays game

CB Deion Sanders = Fast

CB Darrell Green = Fast

S Ronnie Lott = Beast!

S Rod Woodson = Fast

-That is a full defense that was big, strong, and fast. I do get your point though :thmup:. I could even list a 2nd team defense from players drafted in the 80's if I wanted too but this is off topic.

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

i watched a show about the sport science of guys getting faster and stronger .  It seems like technology in gear footwear and surfaces play the biggest role in speed .  when it comes to track they used to run on cement blocks which steals energy now they run on high grade material that is designed not to steal energy . same with nfl most teams got rid of regular grass for high speed abilities .   also body type plays a huge role they did not have the science on what type of body runs faster or is suitable for each position now they know based on leg length and arm length if you can make the league .  plus your point about training is dead on add on science of diet and supplements .

In HS, we had a pretty good S&C program for the time. Well managed, but lacking tech/science/nutrition of today. I, and several other guys lucked out and ended up working out in the off season at a gym owned by a guy that had competed in the Olympics. We learned a bit more from being there. Still it was not near the level of today's kids. Nutrition wise, a lot of guys took amino or amino/protein shakes, but they were pretty limited too and not so easy to find. Nowadays you can buy Muscle Milk and other stuff at every convenience store lol. Back then, we were just told to eat a lot meat and mostly chicken lol. These days kids get full meal plans, and in college, teams have their own cafe with tailored programs for each kid. 

I still work out and have a pretty a decent home gym. Been lazy during Covid though lol. Got the Fitbit and access to all kinds of stuff that's readily available. My buds and extended family's kids who play sports just have so many options it's unreal. Heck, even the lacrosse kids have meal plans, S&C plans, tech monitors, etc.. I wish I had that stuff back in the day.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Technology is definitely better and so is sports medicine today, no debate from me there but I could put a full defense out there from players that got drafted in the 80's that were not only tougher than todays players but yes just as big, fast, and athletic.

I will play a 3-4

DE Bruce Smith = all-time leader in sacks.

DT 'The Fridge' just for craps and gigles = my 330 pounder

DE Reggie White = Best ever D.Lineman

OLB LT = Best ever

LB Kevin Greene

LB Mike Singletary

OLB Derrick Thomas = is Von Miller in todays game

CB Deion Sanders = Fast

CB Darrell Green = Fast

S Ronnie Lott = Beast!

S Rod Woodson = Fast

-That is a full defense that was big, strong, and fast. I do get your point though :thmup:. I could even list a 2nd team defense from players drafted in the 80's if I wanted too but this is off topic.

Yup, but they were all clear outliers and HOF guys. It's fun to debate the guys in the past, but just like BB, if today's teams played yesterday's teams, I think we all know the general outcomes. There's always outliers though. Wish we had a time machine so we could see it on the field :thmup:

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

In HS, we had a pretty good S&C program for the time. Well managed, but lacking tech/science/nutrition of today. I, and several other guys lucked out and ended up working out in the off season at a gym owned by a guy that had competed in the Olympics. We learned a bit more from being there. Still it was not near the level of today's kids. Nutrition wise, a lot of guys took amino or amino/protein shakes, but they were pretty limited too and not so easy to find. Nowadays you can buy Muscle Milk and other stuff at every convenience store lol. Back then, we were just told to eat a lot meat and mostly chicken lol. These days kids get full meal plans, and in college, teams have their own cafe with tailored programs for each kid. 

I still work out and have a pretty a decent home gym. Been lazy during Covid though lol. Got the Fitbit and access to all kinds of stuff that's readily available. My buds and extended family's kids who play sports just have so many options it's unreal. Heck, even the lacrosse kids have meal plans, S&C plans, tech monitors, etc.. I wish I had that stuff back in the day.

“I coulda been somebody. I coulda been a contenda”. 
That comes from a movie likely before your time, East. On The Waterfront. Marlon Brando. Same premise though: “If Only”. :default_20smile:

2 minutes ago, Hoose said:

“I coulda been somebody. I coulda been a contenda”. 
That comes from a movie likely before your time, East. On The Waterfront. Marlon Brando. Same premise though: “If Only”. :default_20smile:

Yes, before my time, but very familiar with the movie, and of course Brando. One of my fav actors. OTW is in my top 3 of his movies. I think his role in Apocalypse Now, while limited, was my favorite. ASCND and LTIP are up there as well.

As for me, while I would have loved the S&C stuff and tech of today, my barrier in sports was preferring girls and fun lol. 

28 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yes, before my time, but very familiar with the movie, and of course Brando. One of my fav actors. OTW is in my top 3 of his movies. I think his role in Apocalypse Now, while limited, was my favorite. ASCND and LTIP are up there as well.

As for me, while I would have loved the S&C stuff and tech of today, my barrier in sports was preferring girls and fun lol. 

I’d have to say The Godfather is my other favorite Brando movie. However, the other movies you mention are great as well. 
As for chasing women and having fun in HS, your priorities were right up there with most of us. Fond memories of those days!

Hope NFL Shop adds Dayo’s jersey soon.. not on the drop down list yet.

He’ll be the Leonard of this draft, where other teams fans question the pick and then wish they would have grabbed him.

*** Disregard - you can custom one, ORdered!! ***

3 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I’d have to say The Godfather is my other favorite Brando movie. However, the other movies you mention are great as well. 
As for chasing women and having fun in HS, your priorities were right up there with most of us. Fond memories of those days!

Godfather 1 and 2 are obviously incredible and probably my favorite movies of all time, just thought his role was too limited and perhaps surrounded by a bunch of other great actors. Kind of like AN. I just thought his AN role and character was off the charts. 

When you Pacino, DeNiro, Caan, Duvall, Keaton, Shire, Cazale, plus all the other great but less known actors, it's a bit hard to focus on one guy. Clearly Pacino was the lead throughout the movies, but there was so much greatness all around. AN had great actors too, but just not on the same level. Brando just stood out more to me I guess. My fav Sheen movie too.

On 5/8/2021 at 5:55 PM, EastStreet said:

By all reports, the SAM experiment didn't go well with Banogu. It was abandoned quickly. 

If we played a different type of D, I'd love to see him try MIKE. The bag on him (other than raw and lack of technique) was that he missed Ts. At TCU, IIRC, the only thing he looked great at was inside slant rushes. That won't work in the NFL unless you also have an outside move or a bag of tools. I don't think they asked him to do anything pass coverage wise. 

IMO, they may experiment with with him this year since we drafted 2 other DEs. If he doesn't do something this season, I don't think we'll keep him after 2021 even though he's under contract through 2022. 

I was just sitting here pondering this in my head. I was actually happy with the Banogu pick but the first time i saw him in pads as a Colt i thought he looked more like a linebacker instead of a pass rusher.  I didnt actually see where we really even made much of an attempt to play him at SAM to say it was a failed experiment though. What i remember is they tried him at edge and they felt he showed enough as a pass rusher in practice to stay there. I dont think they ever did much to see if he could play any of the linebacker spots. We already had plenty of backers when he came in.

I recently i watched him doing the linebacker drills at the combine and he didnt look bad at all shuffling back and forth in space. He runs somewhere in the neighborhood of 4.5 to 4.6 and hes got nice size and length. I do think hed make either a really good Sam or Mike backer if the instincts are there. I dont think he has any problems with physicality.

39 minutes ago, krunk said:

I was just sitting here pondering this in my head. I was actually happy with the Banogu pick but the first time i saw him in pads as a Colt i thought he looked more like a linebacker instead of a pass rusher.  I didnt actually see where we really even made much of an attempt to play him at SAM to say it was a failed experiment though. What i remember is they tried him at edge and they felt he showed enough as a pass rusher in practice to stay there. I dont think they ever did much to see if he could play any of the linebacker spots. We already had plenty of backers when he came in.

I recently i watched him doing the linebacker drills at the combine and he didnt look bad at all shuffling back and forth in space. He runs somewhere in the neighborhood of 4.5 to 4.6 and hes got nice size and length. I do think hed make either a really good Sam or Mike backer if the instincts are there. I dont think he has any problems with physicality.

From what I recall, they talked about him as a SAM when drafted. They had him with the LBs early in camp, but it didn't last long.

IMO, the pick was simply a reach. The college he comes from is a flag in terms of scheme when it comes to the front 6, or I guess in their scheme, front 8. It's a 4-2-5 that plays up Ss IIRC. Anyway, not sure if they picked him and were thinking about using him as a hybrid, thinking about changing our D a bit, or what... 

I really don't care what position he plays as long as he succeeds. I just think turning a 4-3 DE into a 4-3 SAM is/was funky. Now if he was a 3-4 LB/edge in college, I could see it. I think he was 4.6s and that's decent for a DE. His agility scores were good. It was a given he was lacking technique coming from TCU. I think perhaps what they didn't know is instincts. Anyway, I love his size and traits for MIKE, but our MIKE needs to be able to play in coverage some. I don't think he did much if any of that as DE at TCU. 

I'd love to see him as MIKE on some situational blitz packages. We just don't blitz that much though. But when we have, Oke has been pretty awful in his blitz success rate. Walker and Leonard were much better.

Archived