Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Rookie Mini Camp Updates (MERGE)

Scott Pennock

I saw in the pictures that there was a player named Lodge getting fitted for a helmet - comparing pictures he looks just like DeMarkus Lodge, a WR from the 2019 draft class.  Did the Colts put out a list of mini-camp invites and I missed it? Lodge is certainly not on the roster and then I also saw some big dude (looked like a lineman) wearing a Princeton t-shirt, we have nobody from Princeton currently on the roster!??!

Anybody have any insight?

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

I saw in the pictures that there was a player named Lodge getting fitted for a helmet - comparing pictures he looks just like DeMarkus Lodge, a WR from the 2019 draft class.  Did the Colts put out a list of mini-camp invites and I missed it? Lodge is certainly not on the roster and then I also saw some big dude (looked like a lineman) wearing a Princeton t-shirt, we have nobody from Princeton currently on the roster!??!

Anybody have any insight?

Yeah, that's him. Kind of interesting. There's no other player in the NFL named Lodge according to the NFL.com database. Perhaps he's there for a physical and tryout? Though it seems odd he's being fitted. So maybe we'll be hearing of a signing soon for training camp?

• Shive changed the title to Colts Rookie Mini Camp Updates (MERGE)
2 hours ago, CR91 said:

This is the case with a lot of college football players. They are such incredible athletes that you have to play them at skill positions in HS.

It’s fun to look back at recruiting profiles for some of these guys. Paye and Dayo were big dudes when they got to college, but some players completely transform.

We know Lodge is there based on the pictures, he's bounced around a bit in his two years in the league and obviously was not of the same caliber as DK Metcalf and AJ Brown when the 3 of them graduated - he was, however, lauded as a precise route runner.  His RAS was pretty pedestrian as he didn't grade out as an elite athlete....he does, however have the requisite height and length that Ballard seems to covet right now in his receivers.

image.png.8121c0bddb037b320ada4f9eda040d91.png

On 5/7/2021 at 11:26 AM, Wentzszn said:

I hope Dayo doesn’t turn into another Banogu. What he said about playing OLB sounds awfully familiar.

Very very different profile. The scheme Banogu came from was a huge flag for me. His size too. Total project and projection. 

Dayo has neither of those flags. Just the injury concerns. Great prototypical size. Tools are there. I'm still surprised at the pick a bit given other needs plus the injury. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in 22.

23 hours ago, CR91 said:

RBs should be running to Indy. Pun intended. Top 10 in run %. Good OL. Only Taylor under contract past this season.

My hope is we are able to keep him on the PS this year, and then a future/reserve so he's tied to us till 22.

If he can beat out Wilkins, that's fine too. And Mack is a wild card coming off injury. Wilkins is very solid depth, and hoping Mack comes back 100% though. 

11 minutes ago, CR91 said:

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

To the two above. I think Lewis will take over that flex 3T/DE position that Autry played last year. 

IF Turay comes back strong though and plays like he's flashed as a rush-end, no reason not to use KP on the interior at times (passing downs). He was great shifting over. 

1 hour ago, tannurr said:

I noticed in the photos that Jalen Morton was participating in the Rookie Mini Camp. Does anyone know if we had any other QBs there or if it was just him?

Yeah, they are going to bring back Chad Kelly to throw a few balls around the yard at the new WRs.........NOT!

On 5/7/2021 at 11:26 AM, Wentzszn said:

I hope Dayo doesn’t turn into another Banogu. What he said about playing OLB sounds awfully familiar.

Perhaps they should work Banogu at linebacker this year before they give up on him.

Just now, CanuckColt said:

Perhaps they should work Banogu at linebacker this year before they give up on him.

By all reports, the SAM experiment didn't go well with Banogu. It was abandoned quickly. 

If we played a different type of D, I'd love to see him try MIKE. The bag on him (other than raw and lack of technique) was that he missed Ts. At TCU, IIRC, the only thing he looked great at was inside slant rushes. That won't work in the NFL unless you also have an outside move or a bag of tools. I don't think they asked him to do anything pass coverage wise. 

IMO, they may experiment with with him this year since we drafted 2 other DEs. If he doesn't do something this season, I don't think we'll keep him after 2021 even though he's under contract through 2022. 

22 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Anybody else think it would be a Great Idea for Paye and Dayo to be roomies?  They need to develop that connection Freeney and Mathis had.  Might be a great way to start.

If they're going to room with another DL, it should be Buchner for leadership.

DL really isn't a chemistry thing like the OL. And what there is, is likely chemistry between RDE and RDT, and LDE and LDT (from a stunting perspective).

23 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Anybody else think it would be a Great Idea for Paye and Dayo to be roomies?  They need to develop that connection Freeney and Mathis had.  Might be a great way to start.

I think these days everyone gets their own room.   I don’t think anyone gets a roommate anymore,  not even in camp. 

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I think it’s just him since Sam had to go back home.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I didn't know if we had anybody there for a tryout or not. I guess it's a good chance to see what we have with Morton at least. I sure wish the best for Sam though. It's a really sad situation. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think these days everyone gets their own room.   I don’t think anyone gets a roommate anymore,  not even in camp. 

Spoiled.

Didnt they see how Rocky trained for Drago?

You gotta suffer and bleed!

Top ten guys at practice each day get a room and bed that night...... the rest can sleep in the hallway and think about what they could have done better.

I mean, is this football or competitive dance?

39 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Spoiled.

Didnt they see how Rocky trained for Drago?

You gotta suffer and bleed!

Top ten guys at practice each day get a room and bed that night...... the rest can sleep in the hallway and think about what they could have done better.

I mean, is this football or competitive dance?

Off topic because you brought up Rocky, Rocky IV came out in 1985, hard to believe that was 36 years ago. Having said that unless someone is 45 years old or older they don't realize how tough and great the players were during the 80's. They even had athlete's back then that were quicker, stronger, and bigger than players that play today which is hard to believe. I would fell comfortable with Joe Montana being my QB and regarding athletes go, Lawrence Taylor, Deion Sanders and Jerry Rice would toy around with anyone today. Reggie White and Anthony Munoz would squash any player today like a cockroach lmao.  Those 5 players came out in the 80's.

To topic on hand, I think @NewColtsFanis right, everyone gets their own separate room.

46 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Off topic because you brought up Rocky, Rocky IV came out in 1985, hard to believe that was 36 years ago. Having said that unless someone is 45 years old or older they don't realize how tough and great the players were during the 80's. They even had athlete's back then that were quicker, stronger, and bigger than players that play today which is hard to believe. I would fell comfortable with Joe Montana being my QB and regarding athletes go, Lawrence Taylor, Deion Sanders and Jerry Rice would toy around with anyone today. Reggie White and Anthony Munoz would squash any player today like a cockroach lmao.  Those 5 players came out in the 80's.

To topic on hand, I think @NewColtsFanis right, everyone gets their own separate room.

With all the NFLPA stuff now, i guess i should have expected that.  

Archived