Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gareon Conley

Once we sign Leonard, Smith, and Nelson to long-term contracts am projecting next year the Colts will have limited cap space to sign our own free agents again next off-season such as Hilton, Rhodes, and Pascal to name a few.  

Conley is a low risk/high reward player that we should be able to get cheap now for at least 2 years not expecting much this season but in hopes he returns fully healthy on a end of year 2 prove-it deal taking over for Rhodes without breaking the Colt's cap space bank initially but will have more financial leverage in three years.

Thoughts?

The Colts have $22M in cap space for 2021 but any extension they hand out won’t apply against 2021 cap. They have $90M in projected 2022 cap space. Braden and Maniac will cost about $35M combined. They have $22M in 2021 to spend on LT plus $55M in 2022 with the Quarterback, Defensive Line, Linebacker and Offensive Line basically set. This doesn't include rollover money. 

Marvell is coming back after sitting out the season due to Covid and I'm not ready to give up on Rock yet. Potentially, Ballard won't be in a position to draft Stingley or Elam because he might not have a 1st round pick next year and the CB draft class in 2022 not really deep. My question is, will Ballard be in a position to sign someone like Conley's Ohio State teammate Marshon Lattimore if the Saints let him walk? There has been talk about Lattimore coming to the Colts on this forum before. 

Maybe they CAN sign someone, but I hope it’s not Conley. The last  thing the Colts need to be running is a reclamation camp. If he’s failed wherever he’s gone, which he has,  there’s a reason he’s unemployed. 

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

When Tampa can sign all their own and still go shopping. When KC can sign the most expensive OG and trade for an expensive OT while shopping, I don't want to hear about the cap..

Sorry, but you’re going to hear about the cap.  That’s the way we handle our business. 

Kick the tires, he OBVIOUSLY is HIGHLY intelligent as he went to THE Ohio State University. 

IMHO, This defense can be successful with CBs that have some size, an ability to (and enough speed) to break on the ball, and and can tackle.

On 5/7/2021 at 3:35 AM, OhioColt said:

Once we sign Leonard, Smith, and Nelson to long-term contracts am projecting next year the Colts will have limited cap space to sign our own free agents again next off-season such as Hilton, Rhodes, and Pascal to name a few.  

Conley is a low risk/high reward player that we should be able to get cheap now for at least 2 years not expecting much this season but in hopes he returns fully healthy on a end of year 2 prove-it deal taking over for Rhodes without breaking the Colt's cap space bank initially but will have more financial leverage in three years.

Thoughts?

When did Conley become available? I thought he was with the Texans. Sure i think hes worth bringing in. I dont however think its the best sign that the Texans let him go bc their DC is Lovie Smith so they will be running a Cover 2 almost the same as we do. Im sort of surprised Lovie didnt see him as a fit.

On 5/7/2021 at 4:16 PM, Hoose said:

Maybe they CAN sign someone, but I hope it’s not Conley. The last  thing the Colts need to be running is a reclamation camp. If he’s failed wherever he’s gone, which he has,  there’s a reason he’s unemployed. 

Gee i wonder why Ballard didnt take this advice when he signed Barkevious Mingo and Margus Hunt? Or what about Malik Jefferson the young linebacker from Texas who has been on 2 teams before coming to the Colts just a few days ago. Or what about Pierre Desir who was in those same shoes not too long ago bouncing around from team to team.

This guy claims Conley is best used in a Man to Man scheme but Conley played at Ohio State who runs the same or very similar defensive schemes that the Colts do. So he wouldnt be out of place in Indy.

Brett Kollman film on Conley at Ohio State

Archived