Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think Trevor Lawrence and Urban Meyer will work well together?


Recommended Posts

Trevor Lawrence better be Andrew Luck good or he won't last playing for an organization like the Jags, JMO. Andrew Luck's 1st 3 seasons had him on pace to be a Hall of Famer, we will see how Lawrence is as a rookie. It didn't work out well for Joe Burrow in Cincy (another badly ran organization), as he had a bad leg injury and didn't even finish his rookie season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think so. Honestly, the two have a lot in common and I think Urban will be decent at least for the first couple of years. Now, I don't think Lawrence will enjoy the immediate success his first year like Luck did in terms of team wins. 

 

I did see that Trevor's dad mentioned he could walk away from football and be fine. Kind of an interesting take after all the Luck stuff. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The difference is, Urban Meyer puts a lot of stock in running the ball and playing defense, and won't let the Jaguars' QB chuck it 40 times like Zac Taylor did with Joe Burrow. He will put an emphasis on protecting Lawrence and not throw anywhere close to 30 times a game unless necessary. That is why they will work together well and Lawrence will have a chance to be very efficient.

 

Jaguars' defense will be improved this year as well, IMO and they will be back to a scrappy team playing enough close games to win about 5-6 of them eventually.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

With the Jags?

 

Why wouldn't they?

If they don't mess it up( they still are the jags) they should have a better future than the Titans. Tennessee doesn't have a franchise QB and Lawrence will be one if not elite.

 

The future should be bright in Jacksonville, especially with Meyer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Trevor Lawrence better be Andrew Luck good or he won't last playing for an organization like the Jags, JMO. Andrew Luck's 1st 3 seasons had him on pace to be a Hall of Famer, we will see how Lawrence is as a rookie. It didn't work out well for Joe Burrow in Cincy (another badly ran organization), as he had a bad leg injury and didn't even finish his rookie season.

 

The Jags to me feel like they are about to turn the corner.  I think Lawrence and Meyer will have a huge impact on their culture.  They feel like they are about to an Indy with the Polian and Manning era.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

 

The Jags to me feel like they are about to turn the corner.  I think Lawrence and Meyer will have a huge impact on their culture.  They feel like they are about to an Indy with the Polian and Manning era.

Yes. Good thing the Colts are concentrating on their pass rush. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Trevor Lawrence will fail. Just look at the guy; he looks like Fabio. During interviews, he's constantly having to brush his hair back. No good can come from this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

Trevor Lawrence will fail. Just look at the guy; he looks like Fabio. During interviews, he's constantly having to brush his hair back. No good can come from this.

Can't tell if you are serious but that was funny!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Meyer doesn't really have a great history with team chemistry in college so I think there are warnings signs, nevertheless I'm excited to have something of a decent project in JAX

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 11:29 AM, jskinnz said:

 

The Jags to me feel like they are about to turn the corner.  I think Lawrence and Meyer will have a huge impact on their culture.  They feel like they are about to an Indy with the Polian and Manning era.

How I feel too. The Jags will be a tough out for anyone for the next 10 years at least imo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 I'm of the opinion that Lawrence is a bit overrated and over hyped. I expect he'll be 

 good, maybe very good. But I've never seen him as a 'generational' prospect.

 

 Whose offense will they run, Meyer's or Darrel Bevell's ? Are either of them an ideal

  fit for Lawrence ? Brain Schottenheimer is coordinating the passing game (yikes) ?

 

  Should be an interesting evolution to watch.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, indykmj said:

 I'm of the opinion that Lawrence is a bit overrated and over hyped. I expect he'll be 

 good, maybe very good. But I've never seen him as a 'generational' prospect.

 

 Whose offense will they run, Meyer's or Darrel Bevell's ? Are either of them an ideal

  fit for Lawrence ? Brain Schottenheimer is coordinating the passing game (yikes) ?

 

  Should be an interesting evolution to watch.

 

 

I’ve not seen a profile of Lawrence that says he’s good at this offense but wouldn’t be good at that offense.   He should be able to run any offense.  
 

Even if you don’t love any of Meyer, Bevell, or Schottenheimer, they’re all experienced enough to eventually get it right.   Maybe not the first year, but soon  enough they should be able to figure things out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve not seen a profile of Lawrence that says he’s good at this offense but wouldn’t be good at that offense.   He should be able to run any offense.  
 

Even if you don’t love any of Meyer, Bevell, or Schottenheimer, they’re all experienced enough to eventually get it right.   Maybe not the first year, but soon  enough they should be able to figure things out. 

I must have missed the announcement of Brian being the OC. Lawrence could have some early success this coming season. I suspect a lot of points will be scored with this new Jaguars offense. Russell Wilson enjoyed career highs in that offense. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I must have missed the announcement of Brian being the OC. Lawrence could have some early success this coming season. I suspect a lot of points will be scored with this new Jaguars offense. Russell Wilson enjoyed career highs in that offense. 

Honestly, I don’t know who is the OC and how the responsibilities are divided up for the Jags?   I was only responding to a poster who basically implied those three were the offensive decision makers.   I think both have had enough success in the NFL and I think Meyer has a good offensive mind.   
 

I think it will work itself out.   Just the way I think it will work out for the Colts with us losing our coaches to the Eagles.  I’m confident Frank will work it out with our news assistants.   There may be some speed bumps along the way, but we should get it right soon enough. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly, I don’t know who is the OC and how the responsibilities are divided up for the Jags?   I was only responding to a poster who basically implied those three were the offensive decision makers.   I think both have had enough success in the NFL and I think Meyer has a good offensive mind.   
 

I think it will work itself out.   Just the way I think it will work out for the Colts with us losing our coaches to the Eagles.  I’m confident Frank will work it out with our news assistants.   There may be some speed bumps along the way, but we should get it right soon enough. 

Yeah, Bevell is listed as OC and Brian is listed as the passing game coordinator. So I guess he will be consulting during the game and relaying info and throwing plays to Darren? 
 

Or, more likely, I’m reading too much into this and “passing game coordinator” is a spruced up name for quarterbacks coach... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yeah, Bevell is listed as OC and Brian is listed as the passing game coordinator. So I guess he will be consulting during the game and relaying info and throwing plays to Darren? 
 

Or, more likely, I’m reading too much into this and “passing game coordinator” is a spruced up name for quarterbacks coach... 

Yeah....  I think at the start, there’s no way to know how it will all work out?   And I think it’s worth keeping an eye on.  


Meyer may give them all sorts of freedom and latitude to do what they want.   If the offense is working and the Jags are winning, then it may last.   But if there are growing pains out of the gate, who knows how this will play out?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • These are the kinds of dumb posts you get over at Youtube. I was reading the gameday thread of Cubs and Reds. Cubs fans were enjoying the moment with their posts and a Reds fan said we are in 2nd place and you guys haven't done anything since 2016. I about fell out of my chair here at work. "Haven't done anything since 2016", that is comical. By that logic the Reds haven't done anything since 1990. Cards haven't even won a WS since 2011. The Cubs just won the Division last year. Reds are 1.5 games ahead of the Cubs and we are in sell mode , it isn't like the Reds are 10 games ahead. By the way I like the Reds but some fans in general ruin it. Some people are so jealous over the Cubs being great over the last 6 years that it is comical. Brewers fans can put a zipper on it period until they win a WS, until then they are irrelevant to any kind of greatness discussion. I just ignore their hate because it isn't worth my time, they are the worst  . 
    • I just seen Javy's walk off. Don't poke the bear of a Champion is all I can say - As Homer would say that Garrett character had it coming  
    • I think many understand why Luck retired but many will agree it was just the timing of it. He had everyone believing he was going to play in 2019. He should've just made announcement soon after losing to KC in the playoffs. That would've been before the draft. A simple, I talked it over with my wife and I am just in too much pain play anymore. That would've been good enough for everyone IMO.    One thing too that nobody mentions is he replaced a top 3 QB of all-time and the expectations coming out of college for Luck was, he will be close to what Manning was. So of course a lot of people were upset and disappointed when he stepped away. We expected a SB win from Luck as fans. 
    • I also think the fact he was about to become a dad just made him go you know there is way more to life than football.  He already had some of that before he got to the NFL but I think becoming a father might have pushed him over the edge too.  No one wants to not be able to do things with your kids because of pain.
    • If I confused anyone with this post, I meant they will replay the games and not just have it be a forfeit according to how Acho was talking. I suck and posting links and video but you guys can youtube first take and see it. Thanks.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...