Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think Trevor Lawrence and Urban Meyer will work well together?

RockThatBlue

Trevor Lawrence better be Andrew Luck good or he won't last playing for an organization like the Jags, JMO. Andrew Luck's 1st 3 seasons had him on pace to be a Hall of Famer, we will see how Lawrence is as a rookie. It didn't work out well for Joe Burrow in Cincy (another badly ran organization), as he had a bad leg injury and didn't even finish his rookie season.

I think so. Honestly, the two have a lot in common and I think Urban will be decent at least for the first couple of years. Now, I don't think Lawrence will enjoy the immediate success his first year like Luck did in terms of team wins. 

I did see that Trevor's dad mentioned he could walk away from football and be fine. Kind of an interesting take after all the Luck stuff. 

The difference is, Urban Meyer puts a lot of stock in running the ball and playing defense, and won't let the Jaguars' QB chuck it 40 times like Zac Taylor did with Joe Burrow. He will put an emphasis on protecting Lawrence and not throw anywhere close to 30 times a game unless necessary. That is why they will work together well and Lawrence will have a chance to be very efficient.

Jaguars' defense will be improved this year as well, IMO and they will be back to a scrappy team playing enough close games to win about 5-6 of them eventually.

12 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

With the Jags?

Why wouldn't they?

If they don't mess it up( they still are the jags) they should have a better future than the Titans. Tennessee doesn't have a franchise QB and Lawrence will be one if not elite.

The future should be bright in Jacksonville, especially with Meyer. 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Trevor Lawrence better be Andrew Luck good or he won't last playing for an organization like the Jags, JMO. Andrew Luck's 1st 3 seasons had him on pace to be a Hall of Famer, we will see how Lawrence is as a rookie. It didn't work out well for Joe Burrow in Cincy (another badly ran organization), as he had a bad leg injury and didn't even finish his rookie season.

The Jags to me feel like they are about to turn the corner.  I think Lawrence and Meyer will have a huge impact on their culture.  They feel like they are about to an Indy with the Polian and Manning era.

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

The Jags to me feel like they are about to turn the corner.  I think Lawrence and Meyer will have a huge impact on their culture.  They feel like they are about to an Indy with the Polian and Manning era.

Yes. Good thing the Colts are concentrating on their pass rush. 

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

Trevor Lawrence will fail. Just look at the guy; he looks like Fabio. During interviews, he's constantly having to brush his hair back. No good can come from this.

Can't tell if you are serious but that was funny!

On 5/7/2021 at 11:29 AM, jskinnz said:

How I feel too. The Jags will be a tough out for anyone for the next 10 years at least imo.

I'm of the opinion that Lawrence is a bit overrated and over hyped. I expect he'll be 

good, maybe very good. But I've never seen him as a 'generational' prospect.

Whose offense will they run, Meyer's or Darrel Bevell's ? Are either of them an ideal

fit for Lawrence ? Brain Schottenheimer is coordinating the passing game (yikes) ?

Should be an interesting evolution to watch.

7 minutes ago, indykmj said:

I'm of the opinion that Lawrence is a bit overrated and over hyped. I expect he'll be 

good, maybe very good. But I've never seen him as a 'generational' prospect.

Whose offense will they run, Meyer's or Darrel Bevell's ? Are either of them an ideal

fit for Lawrence ? Brain Schottenheimer is coordinating the passing game (yikes) ?

Should be an interesting evolution to watch.

I’ve not seen a profile of Lawrence that says he’s good at this offense but wouldn’t be good at that offense.   He should be able to run any offense.  

Even if you don’t love any of Meyer, Bevell, or Schottenheimer, they’re all experienced enough to eventually get it right.   Maybe not the first year, but soon  enough they should be able to figure things out. 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve not seen a profile of Lawrence that says he’s good at this offense but wouldn’t be good at that offense.   He should be able to run any offense.  

Even if you don’t love any of Meyer, Bevell, or Schottenheimer, they’re all experienced enough to eventually get it right.   Maybe not the first year, but soon  enough they should be able to figure things out. 

I must have missed the announcement of Brian being the OC. Lawrence could have some early success this coming season. I suspect a lot of points will be scored with this new Jaguars offense. Russell Wilson enjoyed career highs in that offense. 

51 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I must have missed the announcement of Brian being the OC. Lawrence could have some early success this coming season. I suspect a lot of points will be scored with this new Jaguars offense. Russell Wilson enjoyed career highs in that offense. 

Honestly, I don’t know who is the OC and how the responsibilities are divided up for the Jags?   I was only responding to a poster who basically implied those three were the offensive decision makers.   I think both have had enough success in the NFL and I think Meyer has a good offensive mind.   

I think it will work itself out.   Just the way I think it will work out for the Colts with us losing our coaches to the Eagles.  I’m confident Frank will work it out with our news assistants.   There may be some speed bumps along the way, but we should get it right soon enough. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly, I don’t know who is the OC and how the responsibilities are divided up for the Jags?   I was only responding to a poster who basically implied those three were the offensive decision makers.   I think both have had enough success in the NFL and I think Meyer has a good offensive mind.   

I think it will work itself out.   Just the way I think it will work out for the Colts with us losing our coaches to the Eagles.  I’m confident Frank will work it out with our news assistants.   There may be some speed bumps along the way, but we should get it right soon enough. 

Yeah, Bevell is listed as OC and Brian is listed as the passing game coordinator. So I guess he will be consulting during the game and relaying info and throwing plays to Darren? 

Or, more likely, I’m reading too much into this and “passing game coordinator” is a spruced up name for quarterbacks coach... 

44 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yeah, Bevell is listed as OC and Brian is listed as the passing game coordinator. So I guess he will be consulting during the game and relaying info and throwing plays to Darren? 

Or, more likely, I’m reading too much into this and “passing game coordinator” is a spruced up name for quarterbacks coach... 

Yeah....  I think at the start, there’s no way to know how it will all work out?   And I think it’s worth keeping an eye on.  

Meyer may give them all sorts of freedom and latitude to do what they want.   If the offense is working and the Jags are winning, then it may last.   But if there are growing pains out of the gate, who knows how this will play out?

• 3 months later...

No clue what the over/under on how long Meyer lasts down there. But if it was 

2 years, if forced to bet one way or the other, I'd probably take the under.

The guy has never had to deal with consistently losing. A bad year at OSU was 

10-2. The Jags are going to lose a lot.

He already looks miserable.

On 5/7/2021 at 5:52 PM, ReMeDy said:

Trevor Lawrence will fail. Just look at the guy; he looks like Fabio. During interviews, he's constantly having to brush his hair back. No good can come from this.

Fabio?  More like a bad version of Brian Bosworth's John Elway. (google the quote).   He has to constantly push his mane out of his eyes and back on to his neck where it belongs.    :peek:

Looking at this only from a Colts fan perspective, I don't think it matters. The Jaguars have always given the Colts problems, regardless if  the QB was Gabbert, Bortles or Minshew.

We seemingly always lost 1 game per season to the Jags over the last 10 seasons.

2 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Looking at this only from a Colts fan perspective, I don't think it matters. The Jaguars have always given the Colts problems, regardless if  the QB was Gabbert, Bortles or Minshew.

We seemingly always lost 1 game per season to the Jags over the last 10 seasons.

The actually had NFL trained coaches and schemes with complimentary pieces at this TL doesn’t have any of that

1 hour ago, indykmj said:

No clue what the over/under on how long Meyer lasts down there. But if it was 

2 years, if forced to bet one way or the other, I'd probably take the under.

The guy has never had to deal with consistently losing. A bad year at OSU was 

10-2. The Jags are going to lose a lot.

He already looks miserable.

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

30 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The actually had NFL trained coaches and schemes with complimentary pieces at this TL doesn’t have any of that

Not sure that I agree (but definitely don't want to get into a back-and-forth disagreement). The Jaguars have Lawrence because they had the #1 pick due to their 1-15 record.

Their sole win last year? The Colts.

3 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Colts are 5-7 against the Jags since 2015. 

On 5/7/2021 at 10:11 AM, chad72 said:

The difference is, Urban Meyer puts a lot of stock in running the ball and playing defense, and won't let the Jaguars' QB chuck it 40 times like Zac Taylor did with Joe Burrow. He will put an emphasis on protecting Lawrence and not throw anywhere close to 30 times a game unless necessary. That is why they will work together well and Lawrence will have a chance to be very efficient.

Jaguars' defense will be improved this year as well, IMO and they will be back to a scrappy team playing enough close games to win about 5-6 of them eventually.

He won't throw it even close to 30 times a game? So... 25 times isnt close to 30? How many time is he going to throw it? 15 times? 

The jags run game isnt exactly competing for top spots in the NFL. So odds are, they're gonna need to throw it. 

2 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

He won't throw it even close to 30 times a game? So... 25 times isnt close to 30? How many time is he going to throw it? 15 times? 

The jags run game isnt exactly competing for top spots in the NFL. So odds are, they're gonna need to throw it. 

Sorry, wasn't clear. :) 

30 is more likely if their D is improved. If he throws 40 times a game, chances are the Jags are in shootouts and that is not a good recipe for a rookie QB to win games.

29 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Sorry, wasn't clear. :) 

30 is more likely if their D is improved. If he throws 40 times a game, chances are the Jags are in shootouts and that is not a good recipe for a rookie QB to win games.

I have a bad feeling the Jags are going to ruin Trevor's career. And I have a bad feeling about Urban Meyer not because I think he will be good but because I think he won't be. 

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

I have a bad feeling the Jags are going to ruin Trevor's career. And I have a bad feeling about Urban Meyer not because I think he will be good but because I think he won't be. 

The only thing that could bring that Dynamic Duo down is that the Football Gods frown on them because they are Still the Jags and are not a advertisers/media darling. 

On 5/7/2021 at 4:52 PM, ReMeDy said:

You may be too young to remember Joe "Willie" Namath or "Broadway Joe" as some called him.

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

How long till Urb steps down

I'm guessing you're referring to this:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32342897/jacksonville-jaguars-owner-shad-khan-urban-meyer-regain-our-trust-respect-inexcusable-conduct

Looks pretty bad, no way around it. He was supposedly visiting his kids and grandkids? But then he ends up in his own restaurant with another woman... 

The team is 0-4. He should've been with the team and being a leader. 

Archived