Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MLB 2021 Season: It's Your Pitch, Jay Kirk

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Kris Bryant in 8 games with the Giants is batting .323 up from .267 when he was a Cub. His OBP is .382 up from .358 when he was a Cub. He also has a HR with the Giants so far. What that tells me is our hitting coaches stink, you don't turn into a .323 hitter over night from his career of .279 as a Cub, that is freakin' Tony Gwynn material when you are at .323. 

You are comparing a short 10 game stretch with a 90 game stretch, that really doesn't mean anything. He has had these situations before, including this season as a Cub where he was hitting .350 over 10/15 games. You cant compare the difference, Even Javy has had a 10 game stretch where he has hit over 400. 

If you are going to even try to compare, compare his final 8 games with the Cubs then. Otherwise it has no meaning.  That is just such a bad way to compare a random sample, which happens every year, to a greater than half season

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't been on here really since the Colts season ended last year. Really was excited for Cardinals baseball and that quickly diminished this spring. They've been really awful. Can't say I'm surprised though. Team had a lot of holes and they thought adding Arenado would be a "cure all". FO praised pitching depth this spring and that clearly wasn't true. Their pitching depth has been absolutely atrocious. Then they make it worse by adding 2 of the worst pitchers in MLB this season. Mozeliak has been bargain bin shopping all season. SS market is a huge place for the Cardinals to  dip their toe in this offseason. They HAVE to get one of the top SS free agents. And probably a starting second baseman. DeJong isn't the answer there. Edman is okay but he's better as a utility guy and coming off the bench. Cardinals have a lot to do this offseason. Not really sure I trust their FO to do what it takes though.

11 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

You are comparing a short 10 game stretch with a 90 game stretch, that really doesn't mean anything. He has had these situations before, including this season as a Cub where he was hitting .350 over 10/15 games. You cant compare the difference, Even Javy has had a 10 game stretch where he has hit over 400. 

If you are going to even try to compare, compare his final 8 games with the Cubs then. Otherwise it has no meaning.  That is just such a bad way to compare a random sample, which happens every year, to a greater than half season

You have a point but I have a funny feeling Bryant is going to be great the rest of the season playing with the Giants. Only thing that will derail him is a bad injury IMO.

8 hours ago, landrus13 said:

Haven't been on here really since the Colts season ended last year. Really was excited for Cardinals baseball and that quickly diminished this spring. They've been really awful. Can't say I'm surprised though. Team had a lot of holes and they thought adding Arenado would be a "cure all". FO praised pitching depth this spring and that clearly wasn't true. Their pitching depth has been absolutely atrocious. Then they make it worse by adding 2 of the worst pitchers in MLB this season. Mozeliak has been bargain bin shopping all season. SS market is a huge place for the Cardinals to  dip their toe in this offseason. They HAVE to get one of the top SS free agents. And probably a starting second baseman. DeJong isn't the answer there. Edman is okay but he's better as a utility guy and coming off the bench. Cardinals have a lot to do this offseason. Not really sure I trust their FO to do what it takes though.

I feel your pain being a Cubs fan. At least you didn't trade away the main core of your team like we did.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You have a point but I have a funny feeling Bryant is going to be great the rest of the season playing with the Giants. Only thing that will derail him is a bad injury IMO.

That is very true, he could be, but it was just the way you were comparing. 

And ya being in a Postseason race, just like Nick did with us, can have a great effect.

And ya, KB needs to stay healthy as he will play through injury but he is just not the same dude when he is

4 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

That is very true, he could be, but it was just the way you were comparing. 

And ya being in a Postseason race, just like Nick did with us, can have a great effect.

And ya, KB needs to stay healthy as he will play through injury but he is just not the same dude when he is

I still keep an eye on the Cubs and watch when I can. We got rained out today vs the BeerDrinkers lol. Reds lost today, I just think Reds will probably fall short of winning the division. It would take a major Brewers collapse. 

59 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still keep an eye on the Cubs and watch when I can. We got rained out today vs the BeerDrinkers lol. Reds lost today, I just think Reds will probably fall short of winning the division. It would take a major Brewers collapse. 

Gott hope that happens

And yep split doubleheader tomorrow with Steele then Mills going. For our first chance of the Steele-Mills rotation

20 hours ago, landrus13 said:

DeJong has really been disappointing hitting only .198 for the season.  

I was very disappointed in them bringing in Happ and Lester.   I do not understand unless it was just to open roster spots for the off season.  

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I was very disappointed in them bringing in Happ and Lester.   I do not understand unless it was just to open roster spots for the off season.  

Looks like Flaherty will be back soon.  Kim to the IL again.  Hope Flaherty can show he is healing or healed so he's ready next season.

I agree we need to upgrade at SS and 2B, but will Mo and the FO spend the money necessary?  Gorman may be the answer for 2B...he's been playing well at AAA Memphis.

5 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Looks like Flaherty will be back soon.  Kim to the IL again.  Hope Flaherty can show he is healing or healed so he's ready next season.

I agree we need to upgrade at SS and 2B, but will Mo and the FO spend the money necessary?  Gorman may be the answer for 2B...he's been playing well at AAA Memphis.

Mikolas also is rehabbing. I do not get him coming, back this year. 

You guys should bring Gorman up in Sept, get him that exposure. That is the positive that the Cubs sold, and now can bring young guys up and get them some exposure

On 8/10/2021 at 11:02 AM, Myles said:

Happ looked good last night but it was against the Pirates. Lester was atrocious in his Cardinals debut.

DeJong is okay defensively, but he's awful at the plate. Has the occasional pop to hit a HR but that's about it. And he's not doing that consistently enough to warrant playing every day and being a starting SS.

So, the Field of Dreams game is tomorrow and on Facebook the MLB Network asked what players would you like to see walking out of the cornfield.  Here is my post and I'd like to see what everyone on here would post in response.  I went a bit overboard and included coaches/manager on my roster.

C - Yogi Berra

1B - Lou Gehrig

2B - Rogers Hornsby

SS - Honus Wagner

3B - Mike Schmidt

LF - Ted Williams

CF - Willie Mays

RF - Hank Aaron

DH - Babe Ruth

Bench - Stan Musial, Joe DiMaggio, Ichiro, Josh Gibson, Mickey Mantle, Jackie Robinson

SP - Bob Gibson, Christy Mathewson, Cy Young, Walter Johnson, Randy Johnson

RP - Pedro Martinez, Sandy Koufax, Nolan Ryan, Greg Maddux, Satchel Paige

SU - Denis Eckersley

CL - Mariano Rivera

Coaches - Casey Stengel, John McGraw, Connie Mack, Joe Torre, Tony LaRussa

Manager - Joe McCarthy

5 hours ago, landrus13 said:

Happ looked good last night but it was against the Pirates. Lester was atrocious in his Cardinals debut.

DeJong is okay defensively, but he's awful at the plate. Has the occasional pop to hit a HR but that's about it. And he's not doing that consistently enough to warrant playing every day and being a starting SS.

I thought he did a great job in his debut:lol:

I was there for both his and Happ's debuts, Lot of action in Happ's game

17 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

So, the Field of Dreams game is tomorrow and on Facebook the MLB Network asked what players would you like to see walking out of the cornfield.  Here is my post and I'd like to see what everyone on here would post in response.  I went a bit overboard and included coaches/manager on my roster.

C - Yogi Berra

1B - Lou Gehrig

2B - Rogers Hornsby

SS - Honus Wagner

3B - Mike Schmidt

LF - Ted Williams

CF - Willie Mays

RF - Hank Aaron

DH - Babe Ruth

Bench - Stan Musial, Joe DiMaggio, Ichiro, Josh Gibson, Mickey Mantle, Jackie Robinson

SP - Bob Gibson, Christy Mathewson, Cy Young, Walter Johnson, Randy Johnson

RP - Pedro Martinez, Sandy Koufax, Nolan Ryan, Greg Maddux, Satchel Paige

SU - Denis Eckersley

CL - Mariano Rivera

Coaches - Casey Stengel, John McGraw, Connie Mack, Joe Torre, Tony LaRussa

Manager - Joe McCarthy

I like your list, I'd probably switch a couple out if I had time and wasn't so lazy.

Is it odd to have people coming out that are not dead yet?

Not looking good for the Reds.   8 games back of the Brewers and 4.5 games back of the Padres for the wild card.   Cubs haven't helped by losing 3 against the Brew Crew and the Reds lost 3 in a row as well.

I guess they have a shot to make it, but it is getting longer. 

39 minutes ago, Myles said:

Not looking good for the Reds.   8 games back of the Brewers and 4.5 games back of the Padres for the wild card.   Cubs haven't helped by losing 3 against the Brew Crew and the Reds lost 3 in a row as well.

While we havent helped the other teams, we h at least helped ourselves. If you are going to be bad, be really bad no in between. I want that top 5 pick this off year! Plus there been some good looking performances from a couple of guys to look forward to next year

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I'm going to see the Cubs at Reds next Wednesday afternoon.  Going to be in our company's suite for the game!

59 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I'm going to see the Cubs at Reds next Wednesday afternoon.  Going to be in our company's suite for the game!

Gotta love that.   I assume all the food and drinks will be complimentary (company paid for).

1 minute ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

It really is the best to have! Got to love companies that do that

In other news, the Cubs have finally DFA Jake Arrieta, so that pain is gone

Jake is probably happy haha after the Cubs lost 10-0 in a gutless effort yesterday vs the Brewers. Hoyer better make some amazing moves and bring Bryant back this off season otherwise Cubs town will get more annoyed than ever.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jake is probably happy haha after the Cubs lost 10-0 in a gutless effort yesterday vs the Brewers. Hoyer better make some amazing moves and bring Bryant back this off season otherwise Cubs town will get more annoyed than ever.

I mean, he gave up 8 of those runs, and 15 in the 2 starts vs the brewers in like 6ip. It is his own fault. 

Looks like the Cardinals and Cubs are locked in their division positions at this time.  Cardinals to finish 3rd in the division for the third time in the last five years.   Last finished 4th in 2008.

Cubs are going to finish 4th (or worse) for the first time since 2014.  They finished 5th from 2010-2014.

3 hours ago, Myles said:

Looks like the Cardinals and Cubs are locked in their division positions at this time.  Cardinals to finish 3rd in the division for the third time in the last five years.   Last finished 4th in 2008.

Cubs are going to finish 4th (or worse) for the first time since 2014.  They finished 5th from 2010-2014.

The good news, we wont finish in fifth at leasthaha Pirates have had that wrapped up for so long

It appears the Cardinals can really beat up on the bad teams and struggle mightily against the good teams. Not surprised in the least. That's how the Cardinals have been the last few years. Definition of a .500 team. Cardinals are "somewhat" still in the hunt for a WC spot but would need the Dodgers/Padres to falter big time. Cardinals have a lot of games left against the Brewers/Cubs so it's not impossible. Just don't see it happening.

35 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Lots of news, with the fact he also had a sealed protection order against him in Ohio last year vs a different girl. incredibly unlikely to pitch this year, and there is a chance he is done. You guys really dodged that

Bauer is scum. If MLB is truly trying to grow the game, can't have a guy like him playing in their league. Terrible message to women and kids (who they're trying to grow the game with). 

10 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I agree, but until it is official got to say possible even though it appears as though it should be likely

Dodgers would look pretty bad as well if they tried to keep him around. That's a hard sell keeping him around with such a large fanbase. I know he's a pretty good pitcher when healthy but this is a massive deal. This "should" be career ending. He wouldn't pitch again for my organization. 

55 minutes ago, landrus13 said:

Dodgers would look pretty bad as well if they tried to keep him around. That's a hard sell keeping him around with such a large fanbase. I know he's a pretty good pitcher when healthy but this is a massive deal. This "should" be career ending. He wouldn't pitch again for my organization. 

In reality he had one really good year, and a bunch of just years, it wasnt till he started to use sticky stuff

2 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Lots of news, with the fact he also had a sealed protection order against him in Ohio last year vs a different girl. incredibly unlikely to pitch this year, and there is a chance he is done. You guys really dodged that

I never wanted him. I don't like signing high priced free agents. As for this news, this is the first I am hearing of it. I'm surprised folks here did not mention it.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I never wanted him. I don't like signing high priced free agents. As for this news, this is the first I am hearing of it. I'm surprised folks here did not mention it.

Ik you dont, but you guys were in on him. 

And I mentioned it after his first allegation where he was put on exempt list. This new one just came out today as it was underseal in OH, pretty graphic stuff

Archived