Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After a almost a week to ponder the draft: Thoughts, Grades, and Poll

After a almost a week to ponder the draft: Thoughts, Grades, and Poll  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Day 1 Grade (Qwity Paye)

2. 2. Day 2 Grade (Dayo)

3. 3. Day 3 Grade (TE Granson, SAF Davis, QB Ehlinger, WR Strachan, OG Fries)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/31/2021 at 05:08 AM

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After doing a little research and letting things settle in for almost a week since Day 1..........   Day 1 Overall Grade: A Pick: Edge Kwity Paye 1-21 My thoughts that n

FB players drafted in All rounds fill rosters, and make plays. I have confidence that CB has a great plan for evaluating all aspects of players, including character, physical, and intellectual capac

I never understood draft grades. It's like giving a student a grade..then having them take the test afterwards.

Nice breakdown, I also graded the overall draft a C+, just a tad above average, not quite in the B range. According to Ian Rappaport, Dayo may be ready by late September which is good news. I also loved the Paye pick. I wanted a LT in round 1 or 2 but no harm is done if we sign Fisher or Leno. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nice breakdown, I also graded the overall draft a C+, just a tad above average, not quite in the B range. According to Ian Rappaport, Dayo may be ready by late September which is good news. I also loved the Paye pick. I wanted a LT in round 1 or 2 but no harm is done if we sign Fisher or Leno. 

I think September is very optimistic. And even if he is, the rust from 9 months will still need to shake off. If he can give us late season snaps I'll be very happy.

Yup, absolutely loved the Paye pickup. Great kid even if he was a Wolverine lol. My stack of the top Edges went pretty close to what I predicted, the only exception is Tryon taken in the 1st before Ojulari. 

If IIRC, I had Paye, Philps, Oweh, Rousseau, and Ojulari. 

It went Philips, Paye, Oweh, Rousseau, Tryon, and then Ojulari.

IMO, Paye and Oweh have the highest ceilings, but any of my top 5 could end up being elite. I really like Oweh too. Pure freak. But I like Paye's ceiling + personality/character more.

8 minutes ago, wig said:

So you really wanted a LT which is still being addressed. Got it. 

I wanted a LT, but didn't think we'd take one in the 1st. Never did.

I am surprised though they didn't make a move to go up a few after Radunz and Cosmi dropped so close to 54. It wouldn't have cost us much to move up 5 spots from 54. 

I also would have taken a couple that were still available at 54. 

I'm fine with Fisher if his medical checks out, but that's a big if at this point. Leno is probably the safer option, but likely we'll want more dollars and years. I'd prefer Okung on a 1 or 2 year deal I think. 

• Like 1

Scratching my head over seeing some As given for days 2 and 3. 

I can see an argument for a B on Day 2, but not an A. 

An A for day 3 is mind bending to me.

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't see it either regarding day 3 but many in here seem to like or think Granson (TE) and the WR we took - Michael Strachan will end up being good, that is my guess for the reasoning of some day 3 grades.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't see it either regarding day 3 but many in here seem to like or think Granson (TE) and the WR we took - Michael Strachan will end up being good, that is my guess for the reasoning of some day 3 grades.

Granson is a Burton type small hybrid, that probably doesn't block as well as Burton. Wasn't a huge fan of Burton, or really the level of usage from the slot. We'll see, but he just doesn't wow me, and will need to be used correctly to get the most out of him. He's definitely not a typical TE type. 

Strachan is a raw small school project. Surprised we took another X type WR. Guessing Patmon isn't progressing as well as they hoped. Either that or think Patmon can play somewhere else (slot or Z) and I just have a hard time seeing that. Or maybe they think he can pack on pounds and become a TE or jumbo WR hybrid. I like his as a project though with low expectation.

IMO, the best pick of Day 3, or I should say the pick most likely to compete for starter snaps is Davis. SAF was a secondary need for me. I could see him pushing Willis by mid season if not earlier. He is physically more gifted, but probably less of a nose for the ball than Willis. There were other Ss I would have preferred, but he's decent. I'm just glad we grabbed one after losing a very solid Wilson.

• Like 1

The Paye pick makes a lot of sense but the Dayo pick surprised me. I wanted a left tackle and thought that there were a couple of guys who would have made a lot of sense.

Ballard and co know way more about those players than I do, however, so I'll continue to trust their judgement until they demonstrate that I shouldn't. 

I'd rather have two good pass rushers than one good pass rusher and one bad left tackle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

But my grade on the 2019 draft right I give it a C so far because Rock-a-sin hasn't shown much yet either has Banagu. The only one who's really has been good is Okereke. So even after two years the full verdict hasn't been shown yet because we could get something much better from Sin, Speed and Banagu this season.. My point is it takes a lot time sometimes to really get a grade on these guys right the draft is way to early. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, EastStreet said:

After doing a little research and letting things settle in for almost a week since Day 1..........

• Day 1 Overall Grade: A
    • Pick: Edge Kwity Paye 1-21
      • My thoughts that night: Great pick. A little surprised he dropped to 21, but stoked he did. Aside from checking all the boxes in terms of potential, he's a walk off grand slam in terms of "story" and character. Only thing I didn't like is that he was Michigan product lol, but he's all Blue now. 
      • My thoughts now: Unchanged.
      • 2021 Impact: Will be at minimum early contributor 1-2 downs
      • Long term impact:  Likely to develop into a 3 down guy by year 2 if not earlier. Has the size and speed to be a really well rounded pass and run defender.
      • Financial impact: Fantastic impact to the cap with 4-5 years of value while on his rook contract. That's huge at the DE position if he turns into the guy most think he is.
      • What EastStreet would have done at 21: The exact same thing
      • What made me chuckle: Ojulari dropping to 50 after some of the board talk.

• Day 2 Overall Grade: C
    • Pick: DE Dayo Odeyingbo 2-54
      • My thoughts that night: Surprised we took a second DE. Surprised we didn't try to grab a OT. I really "liked" Dayo pre-draft. While a lot of other folks liked Boogie Basham in the 2nd, Dayo was one of my favorite targets. That said, I preferred other Day 2/second round guys simply because of the injury timing, and the fact he likely won't contribute much if at all in 2021. Overall, I like him as a long term prospect, but I don't like him as a Colts second round pick in 2021.
      • My thoughts now: Unchanged. Likely won't change until we're into the 2022 season and we see what have. He's a raw guy, that really shouldn't be so raw after being a 3 year starter. The good news is he won't be pressed into action early, and should have a year to work on technique. Bad news is he's likely not a factor in 2021, and that's just not good for a 2nd round pick. Had he been healthy, the grade would have been B, maybe B+. I did not let the fact we didn't get an OT impact my grading. My gut says it will be year 3 before we see production worthy of a 2nd rounder, but I love his ceiling/potential. A much much better pick than Banogu in the 2nd last year in terms of risk. I could see him being a versatile guy. Not necessarily as tweener-ish as Autry or Lewis, but still someone you can move around and could be a terror on the interior in passing downs. 
      • 2021 Impact: Little to none
      • Long term impact: High ceiling dice roll with injury and layoff concerns...., but my gut says he'll be good in year 3.
      • Financial impact: Not harmful, but not helpful earlier. If he doesn't produce well until year 3, we'll have missed out on half the benefit of his rook contract.
      • What EastStreet would have done at 54: After Little was picked at 45, I started hoping Ballard would trade up a few to get Cosmi or Radunz. After JOK didn't get picked in the first 10 picks of the 2nd, I also was halfway hoping we move up to get him. Still surprised he dropped to 2-20. Once 54 came, I would have taken WR Terrace Marshall Jr., DE Payton Turner, or OTs Spencer Brown or a short list of others.
      • What made me chuckle: Colts passing on a TE that was still there after a lot of the talk on the board. 

• Day 3 Grade Overall Grade: C 
    • Pick: TE Kylen Granson 4-127
      • Pick Grade: C+
      • My thoughts that night: Not shocked, but thought he would have been there in the 5th or 6th. He's one of the guys I liked for late rounds as a pure move TE, but too small that early.
      • My thoughts now: Not much change. Still a bit of a reach IMO. He's somewhat of a Burton clone, that likely doesn't block as well. I thought Reich featured Burton too much last year out of the slot, but also thought it was because we were lacking Campbell. Hoping Campbell stays healthy this year, and hope Granson doesn't steal snaps from either Campbell or MAC.
      • Impact - Overall, low to medium. I think he'll be a 3rd TE option. He's really not a prototypical TE, and will play in that fuzzy space between TE, HB, and slot. Not a big fan of the hybrid position if it's going to steal snaps from true TE or true slot.
      • What EastStreet would have done at 127: Once the pick came, definitely OT Jaylon Moore. If he can't cut it at OT, he'll be a capable OG. At worst, he'll be high end flex backup. If Josh Ball's character issue checked out, would have taken him as well. 
    • Pick : SAF Shawn Davis 5-165
      • Pick Grade: B-
      • My thoughts that night: Huh? You take a SAF and didn't move up a few spots to grab Jamar Jackson, who was graded my to be a top 3 safety in the draft. I even though about Jackson at 127.
      • My thoughts now: Warming up. Davis does offer some potential. Good flex option that should come in and compete with Willis early on. Our scheme doesn't ask much of Willis or SSs in general, so early PT isn't out of the question. Davis has range in the 2 deep sets as well. After watching film and reading reviews, he's more gifted physically and a better hitter, but less instinctual perhaps than Willis. He's likely better deep, but not as good underneath as Blackmon.
      • Impact - If he picks up the scheme, could compete early with Willis at SS1, or as FS2 with Odum or even FS1 duties on 3rd and longs.
      • What EastStreet would have done at 165: No brainer OT/OG Trey Smith. If you want a SAF... move up a few spots (give up a 6th or 7th) and get Jamar Jackson, or stay and take Christian Uphoff. I also liked OT Forsythe. 
    • Pick: QB Sam Ehlinger 6-218
      • Pick Grade: F
      • My thought that night: Wow, they must not think much of Eason at all.
      • My thoughts now: You either have to say last year's 4th pick was bad, or this year's 6th was bad lol. Weak arm, short, poor pocket presence. Not going to lose sleep over a 6th round pick, but this seemed like a waste of a pick. There will be tons of vet FAs that will be available on the cheap if you're not happy with Eason. 
      • Impact: Practice squad guy or simply cut
      • What EastStreet would have done at 218: There's typically no obvious or no brainer picks in the 6th or 7th. I really like WR Cade Johnson at this point, but my first choice would have been OT/OG Trey Smith or CB Shakur Brown.
    • Pick: WR Mike Strachan 7-229
      • Pick Grade: C
      • My thought that night: Another big WR project? Are they giving up on Patmon already?
      • My thoughts now: Hasn't changed much. Aside from initial thoughts, perhaps they think he can pack some weight on a play jumbo WR/TE hybrid. Still just a raw small school guy.
      • Impact: Practice squad guy
      • What EastStreet would have done at 229: At this point I'm pounding the table for CB Shakur Brown or LB Dylan Moses as both could end up at minimum ST studs. I'm even thinking Ballard might take a 3rd DE and was eying Charles Snowden. If we hadn't taken Davis though in the 5th, my first choice would have been SAF Uphoff.
    • Pick: OG Will Fries 7-248
      • My thought that night: We improved the OL depth guys already, didn't take an early LT, so why a very limited OG prospect?
      • My thoughts now: unchanged.
      • What EastStreet would have done at 7-248: see above at 229 lol... 

Overall Draft Grade: C+

They drafted Ehlinger in the 6 round he's was only drafted for competition for Eason I don't see Ehlinger making the team. 

After watching some highlights and listening to our scouts and coaches and Ballard I'm beyond excited for our defensive front. Paye and Dayo were both best available on the board, little risky with Dayo's injury, tho I think Ballard wouldn't have picked him without doing his due diligence and the potential is huge. I don't think OT class was as good as people make it out to be. Was no need to pick an OL just because of the need. 

I would have loved to see another late pick linebacker coming in but Strachan looks like an interesting pick so there is something to work with there. 

I can't yet envision Granson in our offense so will see how that works out. 

28 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

They drafted Ehlinger in the 6 round he's was only drafted for competition for Eason I don't see Ehlinger making the team. 

Front office really likes this kid, I think he has a decent chance to make 53

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Depends of your expectation value where guys are drafted.  If grading on potential we could possibly get 3 starters(both bookends at DE and safety), one heavy rotational TE and a backup OL. That is an extremely successful draft especially missing a third round pick and getting three guys making the roster from day 3.  They could also flame out so who knows?  

1 hour ago, superrep1967 said:

They drafted Ehlinger in the 6 round he's was only drafted for competition for Eason I don't see Ehlinger making the team

That's why I think it was a wasted pick. Weak arm, poor pocket presence. If they just wanted competition, there  are FAs available on the cheap. Heck, I'd take Hoyer who took 1M last year. He'll likely end up signing somewhere for the vet min, and wouldn't have costed a draft pick.

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I never understood draft grades. It's like giving a student a grade..then having them take the test afterwards.

Just a prediction. Has happened every year, and will happen again every year lol. Just part of the entertainment.

1 hour ago, rayski said:

After watching some highlights and listening to our scouts and coaches and Ballard I'm beyond excited for our defensive front. Paye and Dayo were both best available on the board, little risky with Dayo's injury, tho I think Ballard wouldn't have picked him without doing his due diligence and the potential is huge. I don't think OT class was as good as people make it out to be. Was no need to pick an OL just because of the need. 

I would have loved to see another late pick linebacker coming in but Strachan looks like an interesting pick so there is something to work with there. 

I can't yet envision Granson in our offense so will see how that works out. 

Front office really likes this kid, I think he has a decent chance to make 53

I like Dayo a lot, just not this year coming off an injury with other needs.

On Granson. He's a Burton clone that doesn't block as well. Just envision Burton, or a big-slot WR. Doubt we ask him to block much. 

On SE. If he makes the 53, that means Eason was a bust and total waste of a pick. Due to his lack of traits, I'd be very surprised if he made the 53. 

12 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Depends of your expectation value where guys are drafted.  If grading on potential we could possibly get 3 starters(both bookends at DE and safety), one heavy rotational TE and a backup OL. That is an extremely successful draft especially missing a third round pick and getting three guys making the roster from day 3.  They could also flame out so who knows?  

Love Paye. Really like the long term value of Dayo but less than enthused about the pick for 2021 production given other needs and injury. Doubt Granson will have a big impact this year either. Could be wrong. 

The Fries pick was OK. Low risk, low expectation. IMO, will need time to develop on the PS. Flex guy, but pretty meh physical traits. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Eh, it something to talk about before camp.  :^)

37 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

That's why I think it was a wasted pick. Weak arm, poor pocket presence. If they just wanted competition, there  are FAs available on the cheap. Heck, I'd take Hoyer who took 1M last year. He'll likely end up signing somewhere for the vet min, and wouldn't have costed a draft pick.

Just a prediction. Has happened every year, and will happen again every year lol. Just part of the entertainment.

I like Dayo a lot, just not this year coming off an injury with other needs.

On Granson. He's a Burton clone that doesn't block as well. Just envision Burton, or a big-slot WR. Doubt we ask him to block much. 

On SE. If he makes the 53, that means Eason was a bust and total waste of a pick. Due to his lack of traits, I'd be very surprised if he made the 53. 

Love Paye. Really like the long term value of Dayo but less than enthused about the pick for 2021 production given other needs and injury. Doubt Granson will have a big impact this year either. Could be wrong. 

The Fries pick was OK. Low risk, low expectation. IMO, will need time to develop on the PS. Flex guy, but pretty meh physical traits. 

I'm not sure I agree on the qb takes just based on how Ballard likes to form a roster.

He'd rather draft a young guy with the traits he wants, competitor, winner, team player, someone who can grow into our organisation and groom them into our way of doing things rather signing someone at age 30+ and coming in just collecting a check. So I'm not sold Eason was picked to take over at any point, rather a guy who can be a solid backup, knowing the offense from the beginning and at some point might have a shot at being more than that.We all know how important a good backup is at qb, so whether 2nd round or 4-5th round it's never a wasted pick. Same with SE, he is here to push the guys, especially Wentz to be better and maybe become something else if he can. 

I think this draft, seeing how different draft boards were all over the league, with covid and lack of personal touch with players, information about injuries etc., we just wanted guys who strengthen the core and integrity of our organisation with their drive, attitude and with a unique set of skills. 

End of the day, it's an interesting direction and philosophy Ballard has brought to our team and I personally value this front office approach as the best I have seen for us,( makes me more engaged too)and that kind of focus on competition and character is what made underrated players like Leonard and Okereke and Willis etc into starters and eventually the faces of our offense/defense. I guess what I am trying to say, and I apologies for the long post, is that a player in our approach might have a significant role even if that said player never takes a snap on the field. if Eason or SE can push Wentz to become the best he can, it's a solid choice imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

After doing a little research and letting things settle in for almost a week since Day 1..........

• My thoughts that night: Great pick. A little surprised he dropped to 21, but stoked he did. Aside from checking all the boxes in terms of potential, he's a walk off grand slam in terms of "story" and character. Only thing I didn't like is that he was Michigan product lol, but he's all Blue now. 
      • Long term impact:  Likely to develop into a 3 down guy by year 2 if not earlier. Has the size and speed to be a really well rounded pass and run defender.
      • Financial impact: Fantastic impact to the cap with 4-5 years of value while on his rook contract. That's huge at the DE position if he turns into the guy most think he is.

• My thoughts that night: Surprised we took a second DE. Surprised we didn't try to grab a OT. I really "liked" Dayo pre-draft. While a lot of other folks liked Boogie Basham in the 2nd, Dayo was one of my favorite targets. That said, I preferred other Day 2/second round guys simply because of the injury timing, and the fact he likely won't contribute much if at all in 2021. Overall, I like him as a long term prospect, but I don't like him as a Colts second round pick in 2021.
      • My thoughts now: Unchanged. Likely won't change until we're into the 2022 season and we see what have. He's a raw guy, that really shouldn't be so raw after being a 3 year starter. The good news is he won't be pressed into action early, and should have a year to work on technique. Bad news is he's likely not a factor in 2021, and that's just not good for a 2nd round pick. Had he been healthy, the grade would have been B, maybe B+. I did not let the fact we didn't get an OT impact my grading. My gut says it will be year 3 before we see production worthy of a 2nd rounder, but I love his ceiling/potential. A much much better pick than Banogu in the 2nd last year in terms of risk. I could see him being a versatile guy. Not necessarily as tweener-ish as Autry or Lewis, but still someone you can move around and could be a terror on the interior in passing downs. 
      • Long term impact: High ceiling dice roll with injury and layoff concerns...., but my gut says he'll be good in year 3.
      • Financial impact: Not harmful, but not helpful earlier. If he doesn't produce well until year 3, we'll have missed out on half the benefit of his rook contract.
      • What EastStreet would have done at 54: After Little was picked at 45, I started hoping Ballard would trade up a few to get Cosmi or Radunz. After JOK didn't get picked in the first 10 picks of the 2nd, I also was halfway hoping we move up to get him. Still surprised he dropped to 2-20. Once 54 came, I would have taken WR Terrace Marshall Jr., DE Payton Turner, or OTs Spencer Brown or a short list of others.
      • What made me chuckle: Colts passing on a TE that was still there after a lot of the talk on the board. 

• My thoughts that night: Not shocked, but thought he would have been there in the 5th or 6th. He's one of the guys I liked for late rounds as a pure move TE, but too small that early.
      • My thoughts now: Not much change. Still a bit of a reach IMO. He's somewhat of a Burton clone, that likely doesn't block as well. I thought Reich featured Burton too much last year out of the slot, but also thought it was because we were lacking Campbell. Hoping Campbell stays healthy this year, and hope Granson doesn't steal snaps from either Campbell or MAC.
      • Impact - Overall, low to medium. I think he'll be a 3rd TE option. He's really not a prototypical TE, and will play in that fuzzy space between TE, HB, and slot. Not a big fan of the hybrid position if it's going to steal snaps from true TE or true slot.
      • What EastStreet would have done at 127: Once the pick came, definitely OT Jaylon Moore. If he can't cut it at OT, he'll be a capable OG. At worst, he'll be high end flex backup. If Josh Ball's character issue checked out, would have taken him as well. 
      • My thoughts that night: Huh? You take a SAF and didn't move up a few spots to grab Jamar Jackson, who was graded my to be a top 3 safety in the draft. I even though about Jackson at 127.
      • My thoughts now: Warming up. Davis does offer some potential. Good flex option that should come in and compete with Willis early on. Our scheme doesn't ask much of Willis or SSs in general, so early PT isn't out of the question. Davis has range in the 2 deep sets as well. After watching film and reading reviews, he's more gifted physically and a better hitter, but less instinctual perhaps than Willis. He's likely better deep, but not as good underneath as Blackmon.
      • Impact - If he picks up the scheme, could compete early with Willis at SS1, or as FS2 with Odum or even FS1 duties on 3rd and longs.
      • What EastStreet would have done at 165: No brainer OT/OG Trey Smith. If you want a SAF... move up a few spots (give up a 6th or 7th) and get Jamar Jackson, or stay and take Christian Uphoff. I also liked OT Forsythe. 
      • My thoughts now: You either have to say last year's 4th pick was bad, or this year's 6th was bad lol. Weak arm, short, poor pocket presence. Not going to lose sleep over a 6th round pick, but this seemed like a waste of a pick. There will be tons of vet FAs that will be available on the cheap if you're not happy with Eason. 
      • What EastStreet would have done at 218: There's typically no obvious or no brainer picks in the 6th or 7th. I really like WR Cade Johnson at this point, but my first choice would have been OT/OG Trey Smith or CB Shakur Brown.
      • My thought that night: Another big WR project? Are they giving up on Patmon already?
      • My thoughts now: Hasn't changed much. Aside from initial thoughts, perhaps they think he can pack some weight on a play jumbo WR/TE hybrid. Still just a raw small school guy.
      • What EastStreet would have done at 229: At this point I'm pounding the table for CB Shakur Brown or LB Dylan Moses as both could end up at minimum ST studs. I'm even thinking Ballard might take a 3rd DE and was eying Charles Snowden. If we hadn't taken Davis though in the 5th, my first choice would have been SAF Uphoff.
      • My thought that night: We improved the OL depth guys already, didn't take an early LT, so why a very limited OG prospect?

I went A B C.

I loved the Paye pick, Dayo is a high reward but high risk thing. I docked this a lot due to injury risk. That said, I’m okay with the concept of getting two potential impact players at DE back to back. If Dayo comes back to form, him along with Paye on the opposite side and Buckner in the middle with Stewart, should make us a dangerous DL. 

I went C the rest of the draft but honestly don’t know much about those players. To me, once you get passed the 4th round, those other guys are typically camp bodies or special teamsters. Every now and again a GEM is found but right now, we can’t really say.

it’s why I hate giving draft grades at this point in the off-season. I mean the Jags have an A+ right now. What if Trevor Busts out? Or what if  Ehlinger balls out and somehow wins the starting job from Wentz?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, rayski said:

I'm not sure I agree on the qb takes just based on how Ballard likes to form a roster.

He'd rather draft a young guy with the traits he wants, competitor, winner, team player, someone who can grow into our organisation and groom them into our way of doing things rather signing someone at age 30+ and coming in just collecting a check. So I'm not sold Eason was picked to take over at any point, rather a guy who can be a solid backup, knowing the offense from the beginning and at some point might have a shot at being more than that.We all know how important a good backup is at qb, so whether 2nd round or 4-5th round it's never a wasted pick. Same with SE, he is here to push the guys, especially Wentz to be better and maybe become something else if he can. 

I don't buy that Eason was picked with an assumption to take over either. I do think he was rated to be a solid backup at minimum, with traits and the hopes he might develop over time into more.

With Ehlinger, he simply doesn't have the physical traits to be more than a very very limited backup. Just doesn't have arm strength and lacks size. I guess he can learn and improve pocket presence, but if you're starting with poor arm strength and height out of the gate, why bother. IMO, he would have likely been available post draft. I just would have preferred to get a guy with at minimum physical trait upside, or a guy who can impact special teams.

It's a 6th round pick, so not gong to lose sleep over it. I just think there were other high character guys (if that's what you want) out there with better traits in positions we needed more.

4 minutes ago, rayski said:

I think this draft, seeing how different draft boards were all over the league, with covid and lack of personal touch with players, information about injuries etc., we just wanted guys who strengthen the core and integrity of our organisation with their drive, attitude and with a unique set of skills. 

End of the day, it's an interesting direction and philosophy Ballard has brought to our team and I personally value this front office approach as the best I have seen for us,( makes me more engaged too)and that kind of focus on competition and character is what made underrated players like Leonard and Okereke and Willis etc into starters and eventually the faces of our offense/defense. I guess what I am trying to say, and I apologies for the long post, is that a player in our approach might have a significant role even if that said player never takes a snap on the field. if Eason or SE can push Wentz to become the best he can, it's a solid choice imo.

Leonard really wasn't underrated though, or some brilliant pick. He was tied for the 39th best rating in the draft. He was taken 36th. He pretty much was drafted where the experts predicted.

The jury is still out on Okereke. IMO he's the weak link on the D right now. Willis is really growing on me. Not flashy, but solid role player and great kid.

As I’ve thought and learned more about these picks, I’m becoming more of a fan of this draft.  One thing we have to remember is that the Colts have become a pretty deep team at this point.  It was impossible to take a player in the 6th or 7th that would be expected to make this team.  Those shots are just pot shots, looking for players that can contribute in any way.  My thoughts:

1) Kwity - a high ceiling, high floor stud athlete with a hot motor.  We needed a young piece to the DE rotation we can count on being a starter 2022 and beyond.  Good pick.

2) Dayo - A swing for the fences.  Hard to be upset with a pick with such obvious upside in the Autry role.  

4) Granson - Don’t know how I missed this prospect.  I was looking for a mid-round prospect with his exact skill set, but never once came across his name!  Every draft review seems to either call him our best or worst pick.  This is my favorite pick after researching him.

5) S*n Davis2 -The more I read about him, the more I likes the pick.  We have quite a few nfl veterans on the roster at safety, but Davis has a lot of upside and might actually figure into our future at the position.  Good pick.

6) Hey, we’re in the 6th.  Don’t expect a slam dunk roster enhancer.  We traded down to add two shots in the dark, rather the just the 6th rounder.  So, Reich thinks Ehlinger has the “It” factor.  Good enough for me.  I had us adding a late QB in many of my mocks, though I like Feleipe Franks (who went unstaffed).  Since it didn’t look like we’d add a veteran back-up QB, it made sense to add another late arm for TC that will be a good presence in the QB room.  If you only keep two QBs, it’s a must to have one on the PS, anyway.

7) Strachan - Quite an athlete.  Why not?  Probably a PS guy, but he could even be a possibility at move TE someday.  Who knows?

7) Medium Fries - He had a fan or two amongst Colt fans in the lead up to the draft.  Never hurts to bring in OLs late.  Hard to imagine him making the team or not making the PS.

Honestly, I can’t take exception to any picks until the late 6th, and this wasn’t a draft that had a lot of late gems IMO.  If you’re upset about LT, well the draft just didn’t work out that way.  Pretty sure we’d have taken Radunz if the Titans hadn’t taken him one pick ahead of us.  Then, after that, there was practically no point.  We had depth at the position.  Any pick 4th round or lower wouldn’t have been any kind of upgrade.  Ballard played it cool, and we’ll probably start Leno or Fisher.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I went A B C.

I loved the Paye pick, Dayo is a high reward but high risk thing. I docked this a lot due to injury risk. That said, I’m okay with the concept of getting two potential impact players at DE back to back. If Dayo comes back to form, him along with Paye on the opposite side and Buckner in the middle with Stewart, should make us a dangerous DL. 

I went C the rest of the draft but honestly don’t know much about those players. To me, once you get passed the 4th round, those other guys are typically camp bodies or special teamsters. Every now and again a GEM is found but right now, we can’t really say.

it’s why I hate giving draft grades at this point in the off-season. I mean the Jags have an A+ right now. What if Trevor Busts out? Or what if  Ehlinger balls out and somehow wins the starting job from Wentz?

Really doubt Trevor busts. And would bet a lot of money Ehlinger never balls lol. 

It's understandable why Jax is rated so high. Their first 5 picks were good. And when you have 4 picks in the first two rounds, it's hard to mess that up. Trevor, Etienne, Campbell, Little, and Cisco is hard to argue with.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Really doubt Trevor busts. And would bet a lot of money Ehlinger never balls lol. 

It's understandable why Jax is rated so high. Their first 5 picks were good. And when you have 4 picks in the first two rounds, it's hard to mess that up. Trevor, Etienne, Campbell, Little, and Cisco is hard to argue with.

Correct. I do not disagree with any of that. I’m just saying that there is no sure thing and my point was that a lot of these draft grades will definitely change in a year. They always do. So I take them with a grain of salt

• Thanks 1

Hey now...Freiermuth went the very next pick. Considering they went TE with their 3rd pick (and probably a reach at that)...it was obviously a huge priority.

So damn close though. Just a brutal series of events for those of us who liked him as the next Colts TE1.

I would have been very happy with Marshall as well. If you aren’t going with the TE2 in the class...then grab the WR who many had a late 1st round grade on that put up big production last year when Chase and Jefferson weren’t hogging the targets. I actually think he’s a better prospect than Pitt...but the pair could have formed a very solid duo. 

I still think my prediction about them drafting a TE and getting Ertz will come true...especially now that the TE they drafted is a different type of TE and similar to Burton. 

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

You and I had discussed that we couldn't figure out what the Colts were trying to do with their personnel.  With this draft, it appears they are trying to run like hockey shift changes with Dlinemen ala San Francisco.  
I don't think either one of these guys projects to be a big pass rusher, but both appear to me to me a Jadeveon Clowney type of edge setter and double team takers.  Clowney is a good player.  

I agree with you on the Paye and Dayo picks as far as being  year 3 types, hopefully contributors.

I don't see us being better this year.  Paye cannot replace Houston and Autry, and the other guy probably won't be a significant contributor. 

I am fine with the LT thing.  I don't think the team could afford to invest too much more draft capital or salary in the Oline.

I still think we need a big weapon on O in the passing game.  I don't think any of our guys can fill this primary, alpha receiver type of role.

The potential problem with this draft IMO, is by the time Paye and Day potentially become studs, we will be paying out the nose on LG and Will, and will still be looking for contributers in key positions.

I think Ballard has done a great job making us competitive, but so far I don't see us rising from 2nd tier team to a 1st tier team unless Wentz is way better than PR.  They will much to your pleasure open up the play book with CW.  Hope it works out.

• Like 2

As for my grade...I think C to C+ is fair. Getting Paye has more overall weight, otherwise I might have been really harsh.

Draft success can be so largely contingent on draft capital. And considering they had a total of (11) Day 2 picks the previous three drafts (9 of which were 2nd rounders)...they had a such a larger margin for error those years.

Not the case this year...and wasn’t really the case in 2017. 

Here are my grades:

Paye: A

Dayo: D 

Granson: C

Davis: B

Ehlinger: D

Strachan: C

Fries: C

Davis seems like a decent S depth pick, but I don’t really see the value in the other late picks either. But like you said, I won’t lose sleep over it.

But I have so much cognitive dissonance on Dayo. You see the traits on tape but then do research on Achilles injuries...and I can’t get past it. It’s one thing if you are a vet OT like Fisher, but Dayo’s game is predicated on his athletic traits. Many players do not return to that level.

I do like Paye. But if he doesn’t hit...this could be a Grigson-esque draft in a few years.

• Like 1

@EastStreet - Payton Turner was gone in Round 1 to the Saints, might want to scratch him off the list of mentions for No. 54, it is the draft mock commish in me speaking. :) 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Nickster said:

You and I had discussed that we couldn't figure out what the Colts were trying to do with their personnel.  With this draft, it appears they are trying to run like hockey shift changes with Dlinemen ala San Francisco.  
I don't think either one of these guys projects to be a big pass rusher, but both appear to me to me a Jadeveon Clowney type of edge setter and double team takers.  Clowney is a good player.  

I'm more confused with scheme (willing to stunt, unwilling to blitz), than personnel. I think the Clowney comparison is fair on Paye, but I think some technique coaching could quickly unlock some rush skills. Just re-working his steps/strides will give him a very nice boost. Short term, I think they bump him inside like they did with Autry rushing the pass, and it would pay huge dividends. I think his attitude and work ethic is far more advanced than Clowney's draft year, or even now lol. I think Clowney level performance is probably his floor, which IMO is great.

On Dayo, love his size. He's more raw than a guy in his 3rd year starting should be, but the tools are there to be a good rusher. He's another you could bump inside early. And he's not high bust potential like Banogu was. Might just take time with the injury and rust.

A pass rushing group of Turay / Paye / Buckner / Lewis, or Turay / Lewis / Buckner / Paye would still be nasty if Turay returns to form. 

Lewis, Buckner, and Paye are all strong dudes. You can't double them all, and single coverage won't cut it against any of them especially on the interior. And Turay has the twitch.

I agree with you on the Paye and Dayo picks as far as being  year 3 types, hopefully contributors.

Paye IMO will contribute very early. Maybe not a legit 3 down guy in year one, but he'll be a legit 1-2 down guy, which is basically what we had last year. IMO he'll be legit and well rounded year 2.

Doubt Dayo makes much of an impact this year. Even if he's back early October, IIRC, that's just back to normal duties. He'll still be rusty, and will need to overcome trust issues with the heal. Year 2 will be more or less his rook year playing wise, and breakout in year 3. But at least his year 2 will have the benefit of knowing the system, and already getting technique coaching.

I don't see us being better this year.  Paye cannot replace Houston and Autry, and the other guy probably won't be a significant contributor. 

Houston was a 2 down guy and only played around 60% of snaps. I'll go out on a limb and say Paye will play more than 60% by mid season. He might be used more like Autry than Houston, which will be just fine if Turay can take over Houston's role. 

Wildcard is Turay. If he can be a legit passing downs guy, we'll be better than last year. If he struggles, we'll be worse or near the same.

I am fine with the LT thing.  I don't think the team could afford to invest too much more draft capital or salary in the Oline.

I'm fine we didn't draft, but I'd say we still should grab one of the FA vets like Leno, Fisher, or Okung if any of them will take 10M/year and 2 years. That's not much for a LT.

I still think we need a big weapon on O in the passing game.  I don't think any of our guys can fill this primary, alpha receiver type of role.

Once we got to 54, I would have no doubt grabbed Terrace Marshall at WR. 4.4 at his size would be nice paired up as an opposite bookend to Pittman. Not because I think we're desperate for a WR this year, but IMO he was the best prospect at 54, especially for 2021. I'm OK with Dayo though, just stinks that he likely won't contribute a lot. 

The potential problem with this draft IMO, is by the time Paye and Day potentially become studs, we will be paying out the nose on LG and Will, and will still be looking for contributers in key positions.

As long as your 1st round DEs hit, you're saving money. It's rare a DE is a stud in year one. I think Paye contribute a lot early, and be a stud in year two. Financially that's great and you have a 5th year option too. Dayo won't be as financially beneficial, but he's a 2nd rounder, so capital is reduced a bit. If he's a stud in years 3 and 4, that's more than fine.

DE is a top 3 or 4 high dollar position. You can argue 3T, DE, and CB1 after QB, but they all are high dollar spots. If they hit, you're gold. 

I think Ballard has done a great job making us competitive, but so far I don't see us rising from 2nd tier team to a 1st tier team unless Wentz is way better than PR.  They will much to your pleasure open up the play book with CW.  Hope it works out.

I could make a case both for us being better, or worse, than last year. 

QB - Wildcard

WR - should be better

RB - should be better

TE - same

OL - could go either way, but I think same or better after we grab a FA

DL - Wildcard

LB - worse

DB - same

So you have one worse, 2 sames, 2 wildcards, and 2 or 3 should be betters

There's a lot of possibility either way so easy to make either case.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

@EastStreet - Payton Turner was gone in Round 1 to the Saints, might want to scratch him off the list of mentions for No. 54, it is the draft mock commish in me speaking. :) 

Probably meant Boogie if I was talking about an alternate pick at 54 who would contribute more in 21

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm more confused with scheme (willing to stunt, unwilling to blitz), than personnel. I think the Clowney comparison is fair on Paye, but I think some technique coaching could quickly unlock some rush skills. Just re-working his steps/strides will give him a very nice boost. Short term, I think they bump him inside like they did with Autry rushing the pass, and it would pay huge dividends. I think his attitude and work ethic is far more advanced than Clowney's draft year, or even now lol. I think Clowney level performance is probably his floor, which IMO is great.

On Dayo, love his size. He's more raw than a guy in his 3rd year starting should be, but the tools are there to be a good rusher. He's another you could bump inside early. And he's not high bust potential like Banogu was. Might just take time with the injury and rust.

A pass rushing group of Turay / Paye / Buckner / Lewis, or Turay / Lewis / Buckner / Paye would still be nasty if Turay returns to form. 

Lewis, Buckner, and Paye are all strong dudes. You can't double them all, and single coverage won't cut it against any of them especially on the interior. And Turay has the twitch.

Paye IMO will contribute very early. Maybe not a legit 3 down guy in year one, but he'll be a legit 1-2 down guy, which is basically what we had last year. IMO he'll be legit and well rounded year 2.

Doubt Dayo makes much of an impact this year. Even if he's back early October, IIRC, that's just back to normal duties. He'll still be rusty, and will need to overcome trust issues with the heal. Year 2 will be more or less his rook year playing wise, and breakout in year 3. But at least his year 2 will have the benefit of knowing the system, and already getting technique coaching.

Houston was a 2 down guy and only played around 60% of snaps. I'll go out on a limb and say Paye will play more than 60% by mid season. He might be used more like Autry than Houston, which will be just fine if Turay can take over Houston's role. 

Wildcard is Turay. If he can be a legit passing downs guy, we'll be better than last year. If he struggles, we'll be worse or near the same.

I'm fine we didn't draft, but I'd say we still should grab one of the FA vets like Leno, Fisher, or Okung if any of them will take 10M/year and 2 years. That's not much for a LT.

Once we got to 54, I would have no doubt grabbed Terrace Marshall at WR. 4.4 at his size would be nice paired up as an opposite bookend to Pittman. Not because I think we're desperate for a WR this year, but IMO he was the best prospect at 54, especially for 2021. I'm OK with Dayo though, just stinks that he likely won't contribute a lot. 

As long as your 1st round DEs hit, you're saving money. It's rare a DE is a stud in year one. I think Paye contribute a lot early, and be a stud in year two. Financially that's great and you have a 5th year option too. Dayo won't be as financially beneficial, but he's a 2nd rounder, so capital is reduced a bit. If he's a stud in years 3 and 4, that's more than fine.

DE is a top 3 or 4 high dollar position. You can argue 3T, DE, and CB1 after QB, but they all are high dollar spots. If they hit, you're gold. 

I could make a case both for us being better, or worse, than last year. 

QB - Wildcard

WR - should be better

RB - should be better

TE - same

OL - could go either way, but I think same or better after we grab a FA

DL - Wildcard

LB - worse

DB - same

So you have one worse, 2 sames, 2 wildcards, and 2 or 3 should be betters

There's a lot of possibility either way so easy to make either case.

Turay and Lewis are huge parts of this seeming plan.  I think the plan might be good, but it will depend on our past Dlineman draft picks as much as the current two. I think you have said as much.  I don't see our line being "better' but I don't think it needs to be, even with a healthy Fisher type.  I do see the possiblilty of a push on that end.

Campbell needs to contribute, Pitt will likely be better, but TY will likely continue to have health issues and I can't imagine him being more than a solid vet who knows what he's doing (which can be good.)

All 3 RBs can produce in the passing game and we should see many more RPOs play action and QB rollouts.  Like almost everyone on here agrees, our fate is mostly in the hopefully top 10 or better play of the new QB.  

It should be interesting anyway.  I just wish we had a go up and get the GD ball type of receiver at either TE or WR.  We don't have many guys that can make a 50/50 play.  TB for TB last year in the SB was able to put the ball in the air alot of times and hope his guys make a play.  He's always had that type of receiver since Moss and then Gronk.  Our team has never really had that guy.  

• Like 3

Great write up you basically hit everything I like/dislike about this draft. When the Colts picked Sam Ehlinger I almost face palmed. He was probably going to be available in the later rounds of UDFA. Would’ve have much preferred a CB or WR there.

Guess that tells me the Colts are very confident in our CB group none were drafted. That’s kinda risky because we don’t know if Rock fails to develop or Rhodes takes a step back. I think most people would give this draft a C-C+. Anything higher and I think your a bit optimistic lol.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Turay and Lewis are huge parts of this seeming plan.  I think the plan might be good, but it will depend on our past Dlineman draft picks as much as the current two. I think you have said as much.  I don't see our line being "better' but I don't think it needs to be, even with a healthy Fisher type.  I do see the possiblilty of a push on that end.

End of day, Paye was the best option at 21 IMO. I'm optimistic it's a good and well rounded move. Only time will tell. 

Every year is a moving target. Last year, we had the same concerns about DBs as the DL this year. 

Campbell needs to contribute, Pitt will likely be better, but TY will likely continue to have health issues and I can't imagine him being more than a solid vet who knows what he's doing (which can be good.)

I'd like to see Campbell move outside if he can stay healthy, and TY move inside. I think it help both. 

All 3 RBs can produce in the passing game and we should see many more RPOs play action and QB rollouts.  Like almost everyone on here agrees, our fate is mostly in the hopefully top 10 or better play of the new QB.  

Mack has never really done much in the passing game. Just not sure they'll change that much given Taylor and Hines are proven in that area. Personally, I'd love to see Mack focus just on 10ish runs on 1st and 2nd downs per game. Give me Taylor about 15 carries, and Hines no more than 5. 

Yup, QB play is the ultimate wildcard for us. I think he'll easily be top half given what I assume will be a conservative approach the first half of the season.

It should be interesting anyway.  I just wish we had a go up and get the GD ball type of receiver at either TE or WR.  We don't have many guys that can make a 50/50 play.  TB for TB last year in the SB was able to put the ball in the air alot of times and hope his guys make a play.  He's always had that type of receiver since Moss and then Gronk.  Our team has never really had that guy.  

Pitman and MAC will be fine on 50/50 types. Reich just never wanted to throw many 50/50s last year. Just not sure it's his style. 

9 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Granson is a Burton type small hybrid, that probably doesn't block as well as Burton. Wasn't a huge fan of Burton, or really the level of usage from the slot. We'll see, but he just doesn't wow me, and will need to be used correctly to get the most out of him. He's definitely not a typical TE type. 

Strachan is a raw small school project. Surprised we took another X type WR. Guessing Patmon isn't progressing as well as they hoped. Either that or think Patmon can play somewhere else (slot or Z) and I just have a hard time seeing that. Or maybe they think he can pack on pounds and become a TE or jumbo WR hybrid. I like his as a project though with low expectation.

IMO, the best pick of Day 3, or I should say the pick most likely to compete for starter snaps is Davis. SAF was a secondary need for me. I could see him pushing Willis by mid season if not earlier. He is physically more gifted, but probably less of a nose for the ball than Willis. There were other Ss I would have preferred, but he's decent. I'm just glad we grabbed one after losing a very solid Wilson.

Granson I think is much more athletic thrn Burton. Not to mention 8 years younger.

I heard a podcast say they still think the colts will sign ertz if he is released. They did keep four TE last season. Would allow Granson time to grow in year one.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

End of day, Paye was the best option at 21 IMO. I'm optimistic it's a good and well rounded move. Only time will tell. 

Every year is a moving target. Last year, we had the same concerns about DBs as the DL this year. 

I'd like to see Campbell move outside if he can stay healthy, and TY move inside. I think it help both. 

Mack has never really done much in the passing game. Just not sure they'll change that much given Taylor and Hines are proven in that area. Personally, I'd love to see Mack focus just on 10ish runs on 1st and 2nd downs per game. Give me Taylor about 15 carries, and Hines no more than 5. 

Yup, QB play is the ultimate wildcard for us. I think he'll easily be top half given what I assume will be a conservative approach the first half of the season.

Pitman and MAC will be fine on 50/50 types. Reich just never wanted to throw many 50/50s last year. Just not sure it's his style. 

Pretty much down with everything. Couple of possible exceptions.

Mack had 21 rec. his rookie year for 250.  He's a threat out of the backfield is all I'm saying.

I'll believe your faith in MAC and Pittman when I see it.  REally can't recall any evidence that either of these guys are that kind of guy.  

11 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Granson I think is much more athletic thrn Burton. Not to mention 8 years younger.

I heard a podcast say they still think the colts will sign ertz if he is released. They did keep four TE last season. Would allow Granson time to grow in year one.

I agree they'll make an effort for Ertz if released. I just don't know if they'll give him the $ or duration he wants.

Burton's 40 was slightly faster. Granson jumped better and had slightly better 3 cone. Not a significance difference IMO. 

Both played a hybrid role, but Granson is not a good blocker. 

Burton was used as a QB first, then RB, and finally WR his last year.

Granson was a TE both years at SMU. 

Burton played against a lot tougher competition.

Granson was used deeper in terms of target depth.

It's a wash IMO. Both have funky profiles. Neither are prototypical TEs. Not a huge difference overall. Biggest difference was 3inches in the vert. I was never a big fan of Burton. Granson lacks speed and height too, so not all that pumped. 

25 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Pretty much down with everything. Couple of possible exceptions.

Mack had 21 rec. his rookie year for 250.  He's a threat out of the backfield is all I'm saying.

I'll believe your faith in MAC and Pittman when I see it.  REally can't recall any evidence that either of these guys are that kind of guy.  

I think Mack's catch % (63.6) was a factor/reason why those targets diminished the next year. Conversely, Taylor had 36 receptions and a 92.3 catch %. 

MAC and Pittman weren't really given a chance as Reich didn't call many/any 50/50 plays. Pittman was that guy in college. MAC has B-ball skills, and had the best WR/TE catch % on the team by a huge margin last year at 79.5% which is phenomenal. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think Mack's catch % (63.6) was a factor/reason why those targets diminished the next year. Conversely, Taylor had 36 receptions and a 92.3 catch %. 

MAC and Pittman weren't really given a chance as Reich didn't call many/any 50/50 plays. Pittman was that guy in college. MAC has B-ball skills, and had the best WR/TE catch % on the team by a huge margin last year at 79.5% which is phenomenal. 

We've talked about MAC quite a bit, and trust me, I sincerely hope your ideas about his ability are more accurate than mine.  If he can be the type of player you think he can be, we are set there for a few years.  Love his measurables and blocking.

I don't watch college ball much.  I hope you're right about Pitt too.  Lack of evidence is not necessarily evidence of lack, but even though I'm not from MO, they gonna have to show me to convince me.  HIGH POINT.

If these guys can go up and high point the ball effectively, we are in better shape than I thought.  

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

We've talked about MAC quite a bit, and trust me, I sincerely hope your ideas about his ability are more accurate than mine.  If he can be the type of player you think he can be, we are set there for a few years.  Love his measurables and blocking.

I don't watch college ball much.  I hope you're right about Pitt too.  Lack of evidence is not necessarily evidence of lack, but even though I'm not from MO, they gonna have to show me to convince me.  HIGH POINT.

If these guys can go up and high point the ball effectively, we are in better shape than I thought.  

I think you'll be disappointed if you expect Reich to run much 50/50 stuff.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think you'll be disappointed if you expect Reich to run much 50/50 stuff.

I don't think of this type of play as a called play necessarily, for instance the end zone fade was always a bad play unless you had Megatron.   What I am talking about is the type of player the QB is comfortable taking a chance and trying get a play made.  All contending teams have this type of guy IMO.  

• Thanks 1