Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have interest in Kerrigan (merge)

11 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I highly doubt this honestly. Ballard has talked about allowing the younger guys to get playing time and didn’t want to bring Houston back. Why would he go after another older guy? Makes zero sense. 

I don't know. Lewis and Turay haven't shown they can be every down rushers.

54 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

If this is true Banogu is going to be gone lol. I have a hard time we would let Houston go and sign Kerrigan. Kerrigan might be cheaper I guess.

That does not pass the smell test. I could be wrong but it seems unlikely to me. 

9 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Thinking maybe insurance in case Dayo isn’t ready.

We aren’t keeping that many ends. We will keep at the most 8 to ten dline guys.

Actually if you listen to Ballard’s interview, he does state that you have to have 6-8 DEs that you can rotate in and out to keep fresh and keep the pressure on, he pointed out that’s what helped Tampa Bay late last season.

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Actually if you listen to Ballard’s interview, he does state that you have to have 6-8 DEs that you can rotate in and out to keep fresh and keep the pressure on, he pointed out that’s what helped Tampa Bay late last season.

I think he was talking about the entire dline. You can’t keep that many DE. Now there are players who can play end and interior.

28 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't know. Lewis and Turay haven't shown they can be every down rushers.

Ballard has said multiple times how much he likes Lewis. And he did a decent job last year getting a small amount of reps compared to Houston. Turay was hurt and again Ballard has been vocal about this being a huge year for Turay. He has said it’s a huge year for all of the young guys. Banogu for sure needs a big year. But you have two guys added in FA plus two added from the draft. The first two picks at that. DE is a full area with guys that need playing time during contract years. He didn’t bring Autry or Houston back for a reason. 

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Maybe bringing the hometown kid back to finish his career. My guess he is cheaper too. 

that ain’t it. The Colts could not care one bit about where Kerrigan is from. That would not be a reason to make a personnel decision. 

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

Doesnt make sense to me. Why Kerrigan over Houston? Kerrigan isnt young either.

Kerrigan might be half the price of Houston.   Maybe even less than that.    Kerrigan may be more interested in the opportunity to play than squeezing out every last dollar.  

2 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

that ain’t it. The Colts could not care one bit about where Kerrigan is from. That would not be a reason to make a personnel decision. 

Well od course that isn’t the only reason. But maybe they feel they can fit him in and he can contribute and he wants to come home for one last year of football. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Kerrigan might be half the price of Houston.   Maybe even less than that.    Kerrigan may be more interested in the opportunity to play than squeezing out every last dollar.  

Money is about the primary and only thing i can think of as well.

15 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Once Dayo is healthy we have a few players we can cut.  Right now this is the dline.

PAYE

BUCKNER

DAYO

STEWART

AQM

LEWIS

TUray

STALWORTH

ROCHELLE

Banogu 

Am I forgetting anyone? We probably do have room for him if Dayo misses a month or so.

Windsor...   our first 6th round pick from a year ago.   It’s just not clear yet if he’s a backup for Buckner or Stewart?   

Im away from my home...   but I think I had a list of 14 names a few days ago for our DL room.   Windsor would make 11, so I’m trying to figure out who we are forgetting? 

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Money is about the primary and only thing i can think of as well.

If the gap between Houston and Kerrigan is as big as we are speculating,  it doesn’t matter if Houston is the better player in absolute terms.  It’s the most bang for the buck. 

And while I agree with @jskinnz that the Colts wouldn’t care if Kerrigan is a local kid,  it might still be an important factor for Kerrigan to saying yes.    I wouldn’t discount that. 

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Windsor...   our first 6th round pick from a year ago.   It’s just not clear yet if he’s a backup for Buckner or Stewart?   

Im away from my home...   but I think I had a list of 14 names a few days ago for our DL room.   Windsor would make 11, so I’m trying to figure out who we are forgetting? 

I only listed the ones with the best chance to make the team. Some of these guys don’t have much of a chance. 

57 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yes....that's Waves and Waves of pressure. 

38 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Ballard has said multiple times how much he likes Lewis. And he did a decent job last year getting a small amount of reps compared to Houston. Turay was hurt and again Ballard has been vocal about this being a huge year for Turay. He has said it’s a huge year for all of the young guys. Banogu for sure needs a big year. But you have two guys added in FA plus two added from the draft. The first two picks at that. DE is a full area with guys that need playing time during contract years. He didn’t bring Autry or Houston back for a reason. 

He also praised the oline class and didn't take one till the seventh round.

48 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Maybe Kerrigan is ok playing few snaps at this point in his career. Ballard certainly isn’t ignoring the dline this year. He is making sure it gets fixed.

Kerrigan was upset that he took a backup role with WFT and wanted to be an every down player.  Kerrigan would be a great addition to our Colts and seemed to be very comparable in terms with Houston if not better imo.  Yes Kerrigan is from Indiana and I have been hoping we signed Kerrigan in FA for a while now.  We clearly need proven depth at DE and Kerrigan will provide that.  Right now we have Paye and Muhammad as the clear starters and outside of a healthy Turay I can't trust Bangou and we all know Dayo will be a scratch most of the season.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

To me it could mean  Dayo missing the first month or two. When he comes back then you can always cut someone.

I'm wondering if this maybe signals that we plan on completely redshirting Dayo this season. Ballard mentioned regretting bringing Turay back too soon and him not being 100% to where he needed a 2nd surgery. He may want to play it safe with Dayo to make sure he starts his career at 100%. Who really knows at this point though. 

18 minutes ago, Shive said:

I'm wondering if this maybe signals that we plan on completely redshirting Dayo this season. Ballard mentioned regretting bringing Turay back too soon and him not being 100% to where he needed a 2nd surgery. He may want to play it safe with Dayo to make sure he starts his career at 100%. Who really knows at this point though. 

I don’t think that will be the case. But they can take there time with him.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Doesnt make sense to me. Why Kerrigan over Houston? Kerrigan isnt young either.

And his production fell sharply this past year.  Only played 38% of defensive snaps for WFT.  He had been seeing double that many.  Still had about the same sack percentage, though.

But as a depth guy, I can see some sense in it.  Local product, outside chance for HoF, mentor for Kwity and Dayo, won’t be expensive, won’t demand high snap count.

2 hours ago, rayski said:

Teams need 6-8 defensive ends these days, we can keep them all to be fair 

In the Ballard years, during the regular season as we have a 53 man roster, CB wants a maximum of 10 defensive lineman.  It’s been 5 and 5 sometimes.  But it has also been 6 ends and 4 tackles.    But I don’t believe we’ve ever had more than 6 DE’s.  Not to my knowledge.  

My thoughts...

• always kick tires. 
  • He's a hometown kid from Muncie, but he's not near as good as Houston. Kerrigan played a very reduced role last year. You'd expect his grades to go up a bit, but went down. Was really meh vs the run.
  • Ballard said room was pretty full when talking about Houston. If we have legit interest here, Ballard was FOS lol. 

4 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

If this is true Banogu is going to be gone lol. I have a hard time we would let Houston go and sign Kerrigan. Kerrigan might be cheaper I guess.

I’d rather have Houston but if Ballard isn’t going to bring him back then Kerrigan will be fine. He brings that veteran experience to a young group. He still can string a few sacks together. Can’t have enough pass rushers. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I’d rather have Houston but if Ballard isn’t going to bring him back then Kerrigan will be fine. He brings that veteran experience to a young group. He still can string a few sacks together. Can’t have enough pass rushers. 

I would rather have Houston as well. He would be perfect for 1 more year until Dayo is 100%.

Archived