Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign LB Malik Jefferson

CR91

I remember him in the draft a few years back. He was pretty decent at Texas and went in the 3rd round, but was more of a height/weight/speed guy. Not a good sign that he's been on multiple NFL teams already, but sometimes the right fit is all you need?

Here's his draft profile from NFL.com to get some insight:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/malik-jefferson/32004a45-4627-9624-44c2-044356333a2d

If I remember correctly, he's extremely athletic, but had terrible instincts and vision. He's at his best when he's not having to read and react, just attack, so our scheme may be good for him.

Jefferson, 6-2, 240 pounds, has played in 34 career games in his time with the Tennessee Titans (2020), Los Angeles Chargers (2019-20), Cleveland Browns (2019) and Cincinnati Bengals (2018) and has compiled three tackles (one solo) and 13 special teams stops. He was originally selected by the Bengals in the third round (78th overall) of the 2018 NFL Draft.

In 2020, Jefferson played in 13 games with the Chargers and tallied five special teams tackles. He also spent time on the practice squads of the Chargers and Titans.

From https://www.colts.com/news/malik-jefferson-linebacker-signing-2021-free-agency

17 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Well he is better then Franklin or Adams and a special teams aces so he could stick

This may be true....    but I wouldn’t assume it as fact just yet....

Just my two cents, and often not worth even that much!    

I know he got injured his rookie year but I'm not sure why he has been relegated to a special teamer only - he was highly productive in the middle of that Longhorn defense and I know many of us thought we'd draft him that year!  Here is his RAS which he grades out as an elite level athlete....

malik-jefferson-ras-16578.png

50 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I know he got injured his rookie year but I'm not sure why he has been relegated to a special teamer only - he was highly productive in the middle of that Longhorn defense and I know many of us thought we'd draft him that year!  Here is his RAS which he grades out as an elite level athlete....

malik-jefferson-ras-16578.png

He's uber athletic, but his instincts, vision, and football IQ are seriously lacking. He may do well in our system since there's not a lot of reading keys.

On 5/5/2021 at 4:59 PM, holeymoley99 said:

Well he is better then Franklin or Adams and a special teams aces so he could stick

It looks like you’re basing this on the basis of what round Jefferson was drafted in vs what round Adams and Franklin were drafted in.  

But the thing is, Jefferson hasn’t had much success, he’s been in multiple teams, so for whatever reason,  he hasn’t been able to stick. 

He may stick with the Colts for the reasons you give, but at this point, I wouldn’t be all that confident.   Nobody cares anymore what round you were originally picked in. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It looks like you’re basing this on the basis of what round Jefferson was drafted in vs what round Adams and Franklin were drafted in.  

But the thing is, Jefferson hasn’t had much success, he’s been in multiple teams, so for whatever reason,  he hasn’t been able to stick. 

He may stick with the Colts for the reasons you give, but at this point, I wouldn’t be all that confident.   Nobody cares anymore what round you were originally picked in. 

His measurable s (As listed above by Scott) and college success were very very impressive. I wouldnt say no one cares what round you were drafted in, higher picks still get more chances without previous success than non. I guess time will tell but our system seems like a very good fit for what he does well.

Archived