Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

S Malik Hooker visited the Dolphins today

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 1:22 PM, rayski said:

Good fit, I hope it works out for him, still one of the best college safety highlights I've ever seen. Unfortunately I think he'll struggle to stay w a team

Yup. Everyone was high on him when the Colts drafted him, but he never really played up to the level of his Ohio State highlight tape. I hope things work out for him, but certainly understand the Colts need to move on from him, especially after the injury last year. 

7 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

Yup. Everyone was high on him when the Colts drafted him, but he never really played up to the level of his Ohio State highlight tape. I hope things work out for him, but certainly understand the Colts need to move on from him, especially after the injury last year. 

I just think he never really developed past playing off of instinct and athleticism. Also never really was someone you could rely on as a tackler. Scheme for was probably and issue too. Also remember how highly Ballard values character. Hooker was a pick with the information from Grigson’s scouts, and he never struck me as a high character guy. Same with Wilson.

If you ask me why he’s still unsigned though, I’d say it’s really the injury history. Tore his ACL, meniscus, and then Achilles.

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I just think he never really developed past playing off of instinct and athleticism. Also never really was someone you could rely on as a tackler. Scheme for was probably and issue too. Also remember how highly Ballard values character. Hooker was a pick with the information from Grigson’s scouts, and he never struck me as a high character guy. Same with Wilson.

If you ask me why he’s still unsigned though, I’d say it’s really the injury history. Tore his ACL, meniscus, and then Achilles.

I don't remember everything well enough to conclude about character, but I seem to remember that as a rookie he came up with some Tiger Woods-ish sports logo for himself and was one of the few on the Colts who initially embraced the anthem sit.  Not that either thing is a big deal but it might be indicative of a personality that wasn't consistent with the rest of the team, bent towards the self absorbed or self righteous side too much for Ballard's tastes. 

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't remember everything well enough to conclude about character, but I seem to remember that as a rookie he came up with some Tiger Woods-ish sports logo for himself and was one of the few on the Colts who initially embraced the anthem sit.  Not that either thing is a big deal but it might be indicative of a personality that wasn't consistent with the rest of the team, bent towards the self absorbed or self righteous side too much for Ballard's tastes. 

That summary is pretty much what I gathered as well. Very well said. He wasn’t necessarily a guy who went out and got into a whole lot of trouble off the field, but just didn’t seem to really mesh with the type of guys Ballard actually brought in. I also followed him on social media and you could see some of the stuff. Always responding to “haters” coming at him in his DM’s, and like Wilson he pretty much removed all of the Colts stuff from his profile when the writing was on the wall. 

Never really seemed like a leader either.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 5:35 PM, Defjamz26 said:

That summary is pretty much what I gathered as well. Very well said. He wasn’t necessarily a guy who went out and got into a whole lot of trouble off the field, but just didn’t seem to really mesh with the type of guys Ballard actually brought in. I also followed him on social media and you could see some of the stuff. Always responding to “haters” coming at him in his DM’s, and like Wilson he pretty much removed all of the Colts stuff from his profile when the writing was on the wall. 

Never really seemed like a leader either

Seriously doubt any of that has anything to do with him not being with the colts or  signing with someone else yet.

His problem was he wasn't on field much because he was often injured and his play wasn't so hot when on the field. 

On 6/4/2021 at 5:40 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Hooker is now visiting Pittsburgh. 

He’s already visited Miami and Dallas. 

Hope the kid finds a home he can be comfortable with....

I would honestly love it if Pittsburgh signed him. I'd just hope they could find a way to use his skills. Would be a nice story since he was a phenom at New Castle, something that town hasn't had since... lol a long time. Realistically I don't see it happening though, but it might be the one place he'd take a little less money than what his agent thinks he's worth.

Archived