Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bears starting LT Charles Leno Released (MERGE)

• CR91 changed the title to Bears starting LT Charles Leno Released
12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Interesting

Being discussed in LT thread in Colts section.

I posted some statistics over there.

Edit: changed my mind I will leave this one open also.

54 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

How can he not unless he already has a deal in place for a veteran.

Well, we all thought we were going to grab one in the draft in round 1 or 2 and we didn't. Then Irsay says the Colts believe Tevi can play good football at Left Tackle for us. So it's hard to say what they're thinking right now.

25 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Then Irsay says the Colts believe Tevi can play good football at Left Tackle for us. So it's hard to say what they're thinking right now.

At this point, since he's the guy that would be starting day 1 if nobody else is brought in, they have to say those things. You can't say "We hope we can get someone else in here soon, because we don't think Sam Tevi can get it done". Let's say something happens to where you aren't able to sign a better FA LT and Tevi ends up having to start day 1. You now have a guy starting at LT that you already said you don't have confidence in.

The fact that they mentioned right after that that they'll continue to scour the FA pool tell me it's a "Tevi is the guy until we find someone better, but we'll stand behind him until that day comes".

• Shive changed the title to Bears starting LT Charles Leno Released (MERGE)
30 minutes ago, Shive said:

At this point, since he's the guy that would be starting day 1 if nobody else is brought in, they have to say those things. You can't say "We hope we can get someone else in here soon, because we don't think Sam Tevi can get it done". Let's say something happens to where you aren't able to sign a better FA LT and Tevi ends up having to start day 1. You now have a guy starting at LT that you already said you don't have confidence in.

The fact that they mentioned right after that that they'll continue to scour the FA pool tell me it's a "Tevi is the guy until we find someone better, but we'll stand behind him until that day comes".

Well, duh! I think we all understand that. I was just wondering if we are for sure going to be checking out Leno and other FA LT's or if we're just planning to roll with Tevi. The poster that I was responding to made it seem like it's silly to ask that question and of course they will bring in someone else. But who really knows for sure? Nobody until there's factual news about it.

43 minutes ago, Shive said:

Exactly, they can't tip their hand.  I am sure they will at least consider him.

Had he been available at the start of free agency, few would have been interested, but circumstances have changed. Whoever is starting at LT in game 1 of 2021 it will likely be a dropoff.  The question now is, how much of a dropoff?

10 hours ago, CR91 said:

Twitter is going nuts trying to sign Leno. He's even liked a bunch of tweets.

If him and Chris Strausser had a good relationship, I think it's as good as done. I can imagine that his agent is going to try to use our need at LT to leverage a better deal. Hopefully that doesn't push the $$ too high for us to want to sign him.

20 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

Leno looks like a no-brainer. He was a cap casualty in Chicago, and seems to have plenty of mileage left in him. 

And what about Villanueva? Is he a viable option?

Villanueva signed with the Ravens. A team that knows what they are doing.

Archived