Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who would you have drafted 2021?

Here is a game I like to play because its fun to look at the past 2 or 3 years from now to see who was right or wrong. Who would you have taken instead of who we took? The rules are simple you have to take the pick where we picked and the assumption is whoever we picked gets picked in-between the picks, no body falls past their original spot so you can only select people taken after our picks.

Mine would follow as

1 Christian Darrisaw T

2 Pat Freiermuth TE

4 Rashad Weaver Edge

Then picks 5-7 will stay the same for me.

1. Darrisaw

2. Basham

For the record, I’m fine with Ballard’s off-season, so far. 

He’s addressed QB, the pass rush and is not done with LT, I believe. 

This team is not a SB contender yet, Ballard even said so. 

Go Colts! 

12 minutes ago, MPStack said:

1. Darrisaw

2. Basham

Go Colts! 

You went exact same as me

14 minutes ago, w87r said:

Before or after he got charged with punching a woman?

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo to be honest I had not stayed that up to date with him and guess i must have been spacing out during the talking heads to have mentioned that. will definitely say I'm not nearly as versed on the prospects this year. my bad.

14 minutes ago, twfish said:

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo to be honest I had not stayed that up to date with him and guess i must have been spacing out during the talking heads to have mentioned that. will definitely say I'm not nearly as versed on the prospects this year. my bad.

Ah your all good. Its literally news that broke within the last hour or so.

Clearly after you posted your post.

By my board:

1. Kwity Paye (Caleb Farley is higher but I will refrain from picking him because of his injury)

2. Terrace Marshall Jr

4. Jamar Johnson

5. Stone Forsythe

6. Trey Smith 

7.1 Jonathon Cooper 

7.2 Marvin Wilson

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

By my board:

1. Kwity Paye (Caleb Farley is higher but I will refrain from picking him because of his injury)

2. Terrace Marshall Jr

4. Jamar Johnson

5. Stone Forsythe

6. Trey Smith 

7.1 Jonathon Cooper 

7.2 Marvin Wilson

Wow. is exactly what I would have done. I was so upset when the Colts passed on Terrace Marshall Jr. Jamar Johnson and Forsyth were BPA at the time, too IMO. I liked Wilson a lot out of Florida State too. Figured he would go in the 6th tho

I know that most of the mocks had Boogie Basham rated higher than than Odeyingbo and we all wanted an OT. But after the OT's all went off the board before our pick at 54, I can't see going anywhere else than Odeyingbo. Seems, after the fact, that a LOT of NFL people liked Odeyingbo and without the injury may have taken him in Round 1.

I personally was kind of hoping for Brevin Jordan, but I like Granson a lot --- he seems perfect for Reich's offense.

The rest? once you get into the 5, 6 and 7 rounds, it's all crazy. I love the idea of Ehlinger learning more in our system, thought he was better than a lot of experts. I'm SUPER intrigued by Strachan, his athleticism is hard to fathom, but he played at such a tiny school. I even like Davis and Fries. 

I honestly think most of these guys can make the team AND contribute. 

Who would have ever guessed that the lowest of all odds that both Paye and Darrisaw would still be available when we picked 21st.  Done too many mock drafts and even the way the draft played out called it that all the top OTs would been taken before we drafted in Round 2.  Colt’s brass should have seen this one coming as well but understand that Paye was listed higher. 

1.        LT Christian Darrisaw

2.       QB Davis Mills via late trade back in Round 2 – Still not sold on Wentz and Eason bit unknown

4.       DL Daviyon Nixon

5.       Edge Adetokunbo Ogundeji

6.       CB Thomas Graham Jr.

7.       Edge William Bradley-King

7.       RB Jermar Jefferson

Resign TE Trey Burton as he already knows the offense and wasn't really a liability.  Am liking the Colt’s UDFA signing better than their draft.

I'm fine with our first and second round picks.    No change.

1.  Paye

2.  Dayo

3.  (Wentz)

***4.  CB or WR    Rochell or Wade at corner.  Wallace or Harris at WR.    This is the ONE change I would've made.

5.  Granson    TE

6.  Davis         Saf  

7.  Strachen    WR

7   Fries           OL

On 5/4/2021 at 5:22 AM, BProland85 said:

With who was available I probably would’ve went with Paye round 1, and then Terrance Marshall Jr round 2.

Then I would’ve tried trading up a bit into the late 3rd to snag OT Spencer Brown. 

The only way to trade up into the 80’s where I think Brown was picked would be to trade next years 2 to get a 3 this year. 

Still interested?   

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

The only way to trade up into the 80’s where I think Brown was picked would be to trade next years 2 to get a 3 this year. 

Still interested?   

And we may not have next years 2 (unlikely of course). Do you offer a team a 3rd/conditional 2nd with the same conditions as the Eagles trade? I definitely don't. Leaves you with nothing until the 3rd next year. Gross.

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Still interested?   

I disagree. If it were a very early 3rd round pick you're trading for, then yes that deal would make sense. No team is willing to give up next year's 2nd for a very late 3rd round pick. 

I think a 4th and next year's 4th is more realistic and even. 

On 5/3/2021 at 10:57 AM, MPStack said:

1. Darrisaw

2. Basham

Go Colts! 

This would have been my preference as well, but I have faith in the direction.

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I disagree. If it were a very early 3rd round pick you're trading for, then yes that deal would make sense. No team is willing to give up next year's 2nd for a very late 3rd round pick. 

I think a 4th and next year's 4th is more realistic and even. 

You think two fours, one this year and one next year,  is getting you a 3 from this year?!?

Wow, is that ever wishful thinking. 

Remember, two years ago we traded two late 4’s to move up to take Willis near the top of the 4th round.    We were still about 25-30 spots short of where Brown went.   Those are the facts. 

I have no idea what you’re disagreeing with?   

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You think two fours, one this year and one next year,  is getting you a 3 from this year?!?

Wow, is that ever wishful thinking. 

Remember, two years ago we traded two late 4’s to move up to take Willis near the top of the 4th round.    We were still about 25-30 spots short of where Brown went.   Those are the facts. 

I have no idea what you’re disagreeing with?   

Considering the pick you would be trading for is almost a 4th anyhow, being that it is a very late 3rd, I don't see what's so outrageous about my two 4th round pick proposal idea. 

No chance I would ever consider trading away my next year's 2nd for a very late 3rd rounder. You would be stupid to do that. 

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Considering the pick you would be trading for is almost a 4th anyhow, being that it is a very late 3rd, I don't see what's so outrageous about my two 4th round pick proposal idea. 

No chance I would ever consider trading away my next year's 2nd for a very late 3rd rounder. You would be stupid to do that. 

You don’t see?

I explained the Colts recent history.   Two late 4’s brought the Colts toward the top of the 4th to take Willis.  And his draft spot is roughly 25-30 spots short of where Brown went.  

In other words,  the two 4’s you propose to trade for a mid-3 where Brown went doesn’t get us there.   We’d fall short, way short.    There’s not enough value for a team to make that trade. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You don’t see?

I explained the Colts recent history.   Two late 4’s brought the Colts toward the top of the 4th to take Willis.  And his draft spot is roughly 25-30 spots short of where Brown went.  

In other words,  the two 4’s you propose to trade for a mid-3 where Brown went doesn’t get us there.   We’d fall short, way short.    There’s not enough value for a team to make that trade. 

I agree. You’d have to throw in a future pick to break in to the 3rd. 

1/21  Colts Draft - Kwity Paye, DE, Michigan

My pick - Kwity Paye, DE, Michigan

Although I was determined that we pick an OT, and my own personal favorite was Liam Eichenberg, I felt that if Paye was available, we take him and don't look back.

2/54  Colts Draft - Dayo Odeyingbo, DE, Vanderbilt

My pick - Pat Freiermuth, TE, Penn St

Both the primary and secondary OT players were gone.  Freiermuth was the highest on my board, and a personal favorite.  And he was taken with the very next pick!

4/127 Colts Draft - Kylen Granson, TE, SMU

My pick - Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa

I know, I know.  Even I didn't have him rated this high.  But seeing all of the OT's gone, I would have panicked and picked him anyway.  He was my backstop OT in case everything went wrong.  Please note that NOBODY drafted him, and he was signed afterword by the Rams.

5/165 Colts Draft - Shawn Davis, S, Florida

6/281 Colts Draft - Sam Ehlinger, QB, Texas

My picks - Israel Mukuamu, CB, South Carolina and Simi Fehoko, WR, Stanford

Those guys were my last remaining targeted players, and I would have drafted them both with those two picks.  Curiously, the Dallas Cowboys took both of them, in the 5th and 6th rounds.

Am I smarter than Chris Ballard?  I doubt it.  There's a very good reason that he has a job as an NFL general manager and I do not.

Archived