Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Doyel from indy star says we have spent the offseason getting worse

44 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

How do you really know “it” didn’t fall the Colts way?  Maybe it went just as the Gm and HC wanted.  :thinking:

....or that OT was our biggest need?

It was pass rush before the draft, and during the draft. Now, I would say the Colts biggest concern is depth in the secondary. In my 4 decades of following the team, I have yet to see a year where we weren't either plugging in midseason additions....or praying with our depth paper thin. We seem to never have enough healthy serviceable corners. 

The oline will be just fine. Good depth too. 

59 minutes ago, AddaiStillTruckedYou said:

Sorry to have to use your post as an example, I just keep seeing similar things.  I see your insight though, but I just don't get why a bunch of people are acting like losing a single position, in this case LT is causing us to take this massive step back.  Castonzo was amazing in his time here, but we literally had someone come out of retirement and played decently well.  The panic that everyone is doing is a slightly a bit uncalled for.  (I don't consider your comment a panic btw lol just been seeing similar responses)

By the way, we did not lose our playoff game based on our LT.  We lost, because we could not get the other team off the field because we couldn't get to the QB.  Just saying

My concern is Wentz is a bit skittish under pressure, so having the solid line we had would have been great for him.  The guy we took out of retirement was still a very good player, better than all the depth we had at the time, so it wasn’t a huge deal.  If we get a good replacement LT we should be okay.

you’re right in that we didn’t lose to the bills due to LT play, but I don’t think we made enough significant upgrades to beat KC or TB, for example.  It’s more like we just had a revolving door of old players replaced by new ones that will probably perform about the same once up to speed, but I hope I’m wrong :)

also don’t want to rule out FA.

12 hours ago, stitches said:

The reality is... To a huge degree it will depend on Wentz. I think some of the most important positions got worse -LT, both EDGE positions possibly(at least for year 1). We got better at CB, TE. Overall I would say we are probably at about the same level,  with Wentz swinging it either way depending on how he pans out.

Yes it will depend on Wentz I mean Ballard will take care of the left tackle situation one way or another I'm more worried about how Wentz will do but I think he'll do well. 

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

Sorry but Burton is not top tier, even at blocking if he was someone would have signed him for at least the veterans minimum. 

Not saying he’s top tier.  He’ll be signed for 2-3 mill.  This kid isn’t drafted to be a top tier TE.  He’s probably a gadget guy.

I think we're currently just about treading water talent wise compared to last season, tbh. Looking at the incomings and departures, Doyel's maybe not far from being right, but it's harsh when you think about the fact that we've had to basically just fight fires in the past couple offseasons. It's hard to get better when you have 2 QB retirements and a left tackle retirement in 3 seasons. What we need is an offseason with a reasonable amount of continuity where we don't have to worry about losing important pieces and we can just add talent. Realistically, I'm looking at one or two years down the line for the big SB push. 

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

You let the ghost continue to be a ghost on someone else's team. You're saying you wouldn't rather have a guy like Rondale Moore over Zach Pascal? Or Rashod Bateman or Terrace Marshall if you want a prototype WR. 

I don't understand how everyone thinks WR is anything but a weakness? They were marginal at best last year, this team was literally carried by Jonathan Taylor down the stretch. TY didn't show up til November, and is showing definite signs of aging, Parris Campbell can't stay upright, so you basically have Pittman as your only real mid-to-high end threat. We have no Tyreek Hill or Travis Kelce, no Stefon Diggs, no Mike Evans or Chris Godwin. That's the theme for the teams that are legit SB contenders, they have elite playmakers. Bottomline is offense is gonna win you a SB, if you don't hit certain thresholds you just aren't getting there, and we aren't even sniffing those thresholds. 

Wentz struggled because he had no weapons, and now we aren't gonna make an effort to get him a top notch playmaker? Do they wanna kill this kid's career? If Parris Campbell does Parris Campbell things, and TY inevitably continues his decline, what are we really left with? Better give Jonathan Taylor 600 touches cuz that's the only chance we have at this stage of the game. 

Great post. How people rationalize/ignore not addressing pass catchers is beyond me. It was such a clear need...they didn’t address it...and then suddenly it’s not a need.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Great post. How people rationalize/ignore not addressing pass catchers is beyond me. It was such a clear need...they didn’t address it...and then suddenly it’s not a need.

It’s not really a need. Who you cutting if we drafted or signed one in FA. They added a weapon for Wentz in the draft.  TY will have a good season with Wentz scrambling ability and his ability to throw deep.

• Like 1

The receiver situation is to be determined because Campbell and Pittman both have a shot to break out this season. If they don't, we'll 100% need to address it next offseason. In fact, we should anyway with T.Y getting older.

12 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

The receiver situation is to be determined because Campbell and Pittman both have a shot to break out this season. If they don't, we'll 100% need to address it next offseason. In fact, we should anyway with T.Y getting older.

Yep we will cross the bridge when we need too. Campbell will be gone if he keeps getting injured this year. If Hilton doesn’t provide much he will be gone to by retirement or another team. Pascal is a FA so who knows if we will be able to keep him. Chances are we will add a WR in the draft early next season or through FA. Right now I like what we have and will worry about WR after this season is over and see what happens. I am not worried about Pittman. Pittman will be Wentz Jeffrey.

15 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

How many Colts players have a break-out year in 2021 is directly proportional to how broke we're going to go in 2022.

6 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

How many Colts players have a break-out year in 2021 is directly proportional to how broke we're going to go in 2022.

Reich’s offense spreads the ball around. Don’t expect huge numbers from anyone. The year the eagles won the SB the most a WR had was around 800 yards.  But in 22 we could have several openings. I hope we can keep zach. He actually had a better season with rivers despite not having to be the number one like in 2019.  Also going to be interesting who Wentz gains chemistry with.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Catloaf said:

My concern is Wentz is a bit skittish under pressure, so having the solid line we had would have been great for him.  The guy we took out of retirement was still a very good player, better than all the depth we had at the time, so it wasn’t a huge deal.  If we get a good replacement LT we should be okay.

you’re right in that we didn’t lose to the bills due to LT play, but I don’t think we made enough significant upgrades to beat KC or TB, for example.  It’s more like we just had a revolving door of old players replaced by new ones that will probably perform about the same once up to speed, but I hope I’m wrong :)

also don’t want to rule out FA.

Definitely agree with the revolving doors.  The upside to that is, having the expectation of our young players to improve.  They can't improve if they don't have the opportunity for reps.  I'm excited about our unknowns.  I'm telling you, we are sneaky good.  I see what we have.  We also seen how Frank Reich coaches and call plays, he would never put Wentz in a position where he is consistently holding on to the ball for a long period of time.  That alone should fix his skittishness.  Hopefully that eases your worries in that aspect.  With the way things are going now for the LT market, I say Ballard made a smart choice being patient and letting things come to him.

• Thanks 1

I mean, it can go a lot of ways but for goodness sake we went into the offseason with no QB, no LT, no number 1 CB, and no starting DEs. Kind of a rough year to be a GM. We took care of need number 1, QB. It's no guarantee that works out long term but it seems like a smart gamble thus far. We re-signed our CB and we doubled down on young pass rushers/d-lineman. Our depth all around got better imo. But yep. LT is a big question mark still. It's hard to see at this point if the pros outweigh the cons. We won't know for some time and obviously we still have time to upgrade LT.

1 hour ago, funktacious2 said:

I mean, it can go a lot of ways but for goodness sake we went into the offseason with no QB, no LT, no number 1 CB, and no starting DEs. Kind of a rough year to be a GM. We took care of need number 1, QB. It's no guarantee that works out long term but it seems like a smart gamble thus far. We re-signed our CB and we doubled down on young pass rushers/d-lineman. Our depth all around got better imo. But yep. LT is a big question mark still. It's hard to see at this point if the pros outweigh the cons. We won't know for some time and obviously we still have time to upgrade LT.

if the Colts sign Fisher or Leno, I think the team would be better this season.  

Tougher schedule though so win/loss may not prove it.

This is why he still works for the star and not the alethic or something much better.  He throws out terrible observations without even knowing what he's talking about. He's a self proclaimed expert who's never been a scout or anything but thinks he knows how to build a team better than Ballard and company do and that's ridiculous. 

4 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

The feeling would change if we sign Leno. 

12 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

People just don’t understand the significant upgrade Wentz will be to Rivers.

I can’t wait.

This should be the headline - The play of Wentz next season will determine whether the Colts got better or worse this off-season.  

• Like 1

This whole thing is pure speculation and is anyone's opinion. To say they haven't improved but gotten worst is total conjecture. A few examples are QB and DE. Rivers is 39 years old and definitely on the downside of his career. He had his worst year the year before last and did improve last year  behind our very good line but was far from outstanding which no one is claiming. Wentz could come back and play to his MVP caliber year prior to being injured in 2017. That would be a big win for us or he could play bad which would be bad for us. Personally I think he will plaay well because he is on a much better team with a much better line than he had last year.

As for Houston vs Paye. Houston by his own admission had a down year last year. None of the 31 other teams have picked him up this year. Paye was a projected 1st round pick by every scouting service I read. I would wager that not any of the 31 other teams would rather have Houston over Paye. This being said I don't know who will have a better year next year but my money is on Paye.

At this point there is a huge gape at LT which to me is one of the biggest area where we are weaker but the season is over 4 months off. We will see if that remains an area where we remaint weak. I think Dayo could be a huge improvement over Autry but I can't be sure. only time will tell.

As I stated this is all conjecture at this point and we won't know for another 9 months. It just upsets me that Doyle would write this article in the local Colt news paper at this time but then again I'm not surprise as he is so controversial and likes to stir crap up. 

Edit: I might add we have now a 29 year old QB vs a 39 year old QB.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

This whole thing is pure speculation and is anyone's opinion. To say they haven't improved but gotten worst is total conjecture. A few examples are QB and DE. Rivers is 39 years old and definitely on the downside of his career. He had his worst year the year before last and did improve last year  behind our very good line but was far from outstanding which no one is claiming. Wentz could come back and play to his MVP caliber year prior to being injured in 2017. That would be a big win for us or he could play bad which would be bad for us. Personally I think he will plaay well because he is on a much better team with a much better line than he had last year.

As for Houston vs Paye. Houston by his own admission had a down year last year. None of the 31 other teams have picked him up this year. Paye was a projected 1st round pick by every scouting service I read. I would wager that not any of the 31 other teams would rather have Houston over Paye. This being said I don't know who will have a better year next year but my money is on Paye.

At this point there is a huge gape at LT which to me is one of the biggest area where we are weaker but the season is over 4 months off. We will see if that remains an area where we remaint weak. I think Dayo could be a huge improvement over Autry but I can't be sure. only time will tell.

As I stated this is all conjecture at this point and we won't know for another 9 months. It just upsets me that Doyle would write this article in the local Colt news paper at this time but then again I'm not surprise as he is so controversial and likes to stir crap up. 

I don't disagree with you, but also think the job of a sports columnist like Doyel is to produce conjecture, speculation and opinion. And if he doesn't stir things up pretty frequently, he'll be seen as boring or a homer. 

• Like 1

The Colts ranked in the top ten in points scored and given up. They were a top 5 special teams unit. 
  I saw a defense that tackled well, a creative offense and a solid special teams unit. Wentz could have the best years of his career in Indy.
  Lewis is improving. A healthy Turay and Campbell can be difference makers. A secondary with another year’s experience could be better.
  Who knows how this team will perform this year but I’m excited to see incremental progress as young players develop. 
   I don’t get the doom and gloom.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

The Colts ranked in the top ten in points scored and given up. They were a top 5 special teams unit. 
  I saw a defense that tackled well, a creative offense and a solid special teams unit. Wentz could have the best years of his career in Indy.
  Lewis is improving. A healthy Turay and Campbell can be difference makers. A secondary with another year’s experience could be better.
  Who knows how this team will perform this year but I’m excited to see incremental progress as young players develop. 
   I don’t get the doom and gloom.

I think this is well said. The Colts had a serious problem with their pass rush last season. Which in turn put far too much pressure on the secondary. I expect better results in those areas this season, mostly because I agree that there is a lot of potential for improvement in the young guys. The doom and gloom is mostly from the serious disappointment in the Colts’ failure to address the LT spot in the draft. Fix that and the sun will come out for many on this Board.

On 5/3/2021 at 5:48 PM, NannyMcafee said:

The Colts fan base has had Lombardi fever ever since 2006. I hate the idea of having to wait for talent to develop but we don't really have a choice. So why freak out? 

DID SOMEONE SAY LOMBARDI

Lokasi GIF by memecandy

14 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

“Doyel says-“

Let me stop you right there. That man is not worth listening to. Period. Don’t waste your time (or your clicks), please

Buster Keaton The Blacksmith GIF by Maudit

• Haha 1

On 5/3/2021 at 4:26 PM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

You let the ghost continue to be a ghost on someone else's team. You're saying you wouldn't rather have a guy like Rondale Moore over Zach Pascal? Or Rashod Bateman or Terrace Marshall if you want a prototype WR. 

I don't understand how everyone thinks WR is anything but a weakness? They were marginal at best last year, this team was literally carried by Jonathan Taylor down the stretch. TY didn't show up til November, and is showing definite signs of aging, Parris Campbell can't stay upright, so you basically have Pittman as your only real mid-to-high end threat. We have no Tyreek Hill or Travis Kelce, no Stefon Diggs, no Mike Evans or Chris Godwin. That's the theme for the teams that are legit SB contenders, they have elite playmakers. Bottomline is offense is gonna win you a SB, if you don't hit certain thresholds you just aren't getting there, and we aren't even sniffing those thresholds. 

Wentz struggled because he had no weapons, and now we aren't gonna make an effort to get him a top notch playmaker? Do they wanna kill this kid's career? If Parris Campbell does Parris Campbell things, and TY inevitably continues his decline, what are we really left with? Better give Jonathan Taylor 600 touches cuz that's the only chance we have at this stage of the game. 

Did you not see us pick up the next Megatron?

On 5/4/2021 at 3:48 AM, Mitch Connors said:

The first three games this year are Arizona, Baltimore and Buffalo. Two of those 3 teams we're better than the Colts last year. Should we assume Kyler and Isiah Simmons are finished products? Dobbins and DuVernay reached maximum potential their rookie years and wont improve this offseason? Allen, Singeltary and White will regress this season?

I think you may have been looking at a list of Colts opponents in alphabetical order as the schedule is not out yet.............:thmup:

• Like 1

The quality of content from the Star has been in a steep decline now for, well... let’s just say a long time. A looooooong time. 

As it continues to drop the Star finds ways to lose credible and talented writers to other outlets. 

Except Doyel.

They’re going to have to physically remove him from the building after the Star has gone out of business. Like rodents in a crawl space. 

There’s the bottom of the barrel, and somewhere down underneath that resides Doyel. 

Don’t read anything he writes for the same exact reason you don’t pick up a dog turd and eat it when you see one in the yard. 

On 5/4/2021 at 4:38 PM, hoosierhawk said:

if age mattered how did brady win the sb

• Confused 1

And it's these sorts of threads that pay this guy's check.  Seems like the majority complain about Doyel, but we keep talking about his opinions.  we're basically asking for him to stay in the Indy spotlight.  Meh..., we'd be better off talking about paint drying.