Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

'USA Today gave Colts a ' D '

LJpalmbeacher2

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

It started out not going as planned.   Most people had Paye going between 15-18.   A gift fell to them.   Then late in the 2nd round a 1st round talent fell to them.  

I meant, on the OT front that other GMs starting reaching and they stuck to their board. So here we are. They moved up for Taylor in Round 2 last year and for Khari Willis in the 4th round if I remember. So, if they felt strongly about an OT, they would have but they did not, which was a combination of how they felt about the OTs on the board and how they wanted to maximize their draft capital which was already limited.

9 hours ago, Maniac said:

They are... Ballard loves a project.

Add he has a list of them still on the shop table so to speak, especially at DE.

I'm not wild about the either high pick frankly, but am hopeful.

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I meant, on the OT front that other GMs starting reaching and they stuck to their board. So here we are. They moved up for Taylor in Round 2 last year and for Khari Willis in the 4th round if I remember. So, if they felt strongly about an OT, they would have but they did not, which was a combination of how they felt about the OTs on the board and how they wanted to maximize their draft capital which was already limited.

Yeah.  With no 3rd, we would have had to give up multiple picks to move up much.  

57 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Maybe it's just me but I feel like the post draft press conference both Ballard and Reich seemed a bit deflated.

I just don't feel like this draft went as well for them as other drafts previously have.  

I disagree. To me, Irsay sounded like he felt we hit big time with our first two picks. 

Here’s what YahooSports had to say / grade ...

“Picks: 1-21: Michigan EDGE Kwity Paye; 2-54: Vanderbilt EDGE Dayo Odeyingbo; 4-127: SMU TE Kylen Granson; 5-165: Florida S Shawn Davis; 6-218: Texas QB Sam Ehlinger; 7-229: Charleston (W. Va.) WR Mike Strachan; 7-248: Penn State OG Will Fries

Favorite pick: Odeyingbo

It was about a round sooner than I thought he would go. The reason for that is the torn Achilles that Odeyingbo suffered in January, an injury that likely will make him a PUP list candidate and carve into his rookie season. Regardless, if we look long term, Odeyingbo is a future pillar up front. And he’s exactly what the Colts love: long, athletic and gritty. Watching him hustle his tail off late in blowouts for a winless Vandy team last season was a sight. He might never be an All-Pro, but Odeyingbo gives us some Shaun Ellis (remember him?) vibes. Be patient.

Least-favorite pick: Granson

Unable to choose “the picks traded for Carson Wentz,” we’ll pick the Mustangs’ H-back, but not because we don’t appreciate what he is. It’s just that the league value on Granson was not as high as where he was picked; the Colts could have gotten him a round or two later. Granson fits what the Colts like: He’s versatile, reliable, smart and quick for his size. He’s basically a Dan Vitale clone in some respects. But he was taken ahead of a few better tight ends.

Overall: Paye and (eventually) Odeyingbo will help shore up the pass rush, which was an area of need. Quarterback was the biggest issue, and Wentz is the hope there — with Ehlinger worth developing while he serves as the QB-sneak replacement for Jacoby Brissett and a fun possibility as a trick-play participant. The Bahamian-born Strachan is a late-round lottery ticket worth keeping an eye on; last we saw the 6-5 receiver he had a 19-TD, 11-game season at the D-II level. Overall the grade weighs heavily on Wentz and the development of two defensive linemen who might not be instant coffee in the NFL.

Grade: C
Grade in 2020: B+
Grade in 2019: A-“

5 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Definitely one of most memorable moments in draft history. Call backs still happen around here till today.

Don't know how well you remember that coming from Chargers, but around here, it is apart of the Colture. Lol.

2 minutes ago, FicmanS said:

D's a little rough...   It was a solid C

Yeah, with  room to move up.   If Dayo plays to his potential and Paye is what most have thought he is, the D-line could be set for years.   The TE and QB have very low ceilings in my opinion.   I think Strachan was a good pick.

I have seen A for the Colts and a C-for the Texans in our division. Today I see a D for the Colts for the not taking a LT. Why draft a rookie to protect a questionable Carson Wentz's backside? Trade for a starting LT like Leno from the Bears.  

20 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

I remember that. Lol. It is great stuff. Tobin was right -- no one knows for sure how a player will perform once in the NFL. RB Kijana Carter, #1 overall pick many years ago, always comes to mind. The fans and pundits put him in the HoF before he played a game. An injury early in his career ruined everything. You never know.

20 hours ago, w87r said:

Definitely one of most memorable moments in draft history. Call backs still happen around here till today.

Don't know how well you remember that coming from Chargers, but around here, it is apart of the Colture. Lol.

I remember it well. That may have been the first draft that I followed. It was great. 

22 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Maybe it's just me but I feel like the post draft press conference both Ballard and Reich seemed a bit deflated.

I just don't feel like this draft went as well for them as other drafts previously have.  

Colts had to make a choice at 21. Take a Edge rusher that they didn't expect to fall to them or take Darrisaw.  Obviously they had Paye higher on their board. If you take Darrisaw then you hope Dayo would still be there at 54.  If you take Paye then you hope a LT falls to 54.  There was a run on LT before 54 so the gamble didn't pay off and they take Dayo since he was the highest guy on the board.   I liked Paye and Dayo as players and expect them to help our DL. Darrisaw seemed like a great Colts fit and great locker room type guy as well. 

If I were the GM I would have picked Darrisaw and Dayo at 54 but who knows? Time will tell if the Colts made the right move. 

Joseph

24 minutes ago, cjrichard said:

Colts had to make a choice at 21. Take a Edge rusher that they didn't expect to fall to them or take Darrisaw.  Obviously they had Paye higher on their board. If you take Darrisaw then you hope Dayo would still be there at 54.  If you take Paye then you hope a LT falls to 54.  There was a run on LT before 54 so the gamble didn't pay off and they take Dayo since he was the highest guy on the board.   I liked Paye and Dayo as players and expect them to help our DL. Darrisaw seemed like a great Colts fit and great locker room type guy as well. 

If I were the GM I would have picked Darrisaw and Dayo at 54 but who knows? Time will tell if the Colts made the right move. 

Joseph

This ^^^ seems as though what happened but they'll never come out and say.  Irsay says their intended picks got taken in 3rd & 4th.  You never want to admit defeat to the enemy and the Titans seem to have blown a few poison darts our way this off-season getting FA Autry and 2nd Round Radunz (53).  Samuel Cosmi I believe went 52 (Washington) and he was a likely target too.  But this isn't anything we all haven't speculated about already. Now just hoping to snag Leno Jr. or comparable w/arm length / hands same as Castonzo (Arms. 34 1/2. Hands. 10 5/8)

2 hours ago, chrisfarley said:

This ^^^ seems as though what happened but they'll never come out and say.  Irsay says their intended picks got taken in 3rd & 4th.  You never want to admit defeat to the enemy and the Titans seem to have blown a few poison darts our way this off-season getting FA Autry and 2nd Round Radunz (53).  Samuel Cosmi I believe went 52 (Washington) and he was a likely target too.  But this isn't anything we all haven't speculated about already. Now just hoping to snag Leno Jr. or comparable w/arm length / hands same as Castonzo (Arms. 34 1/2. Hands. 10 5/8)

Last night on SiriusXM Late Hits show with Bill Polian, Chris Ballard was asked by Bill to comment on the OTs, saying I know the answer, but for the listeners … Chris then talked about “prototypical” LT measurables that keep showing up on the most successful LTs over the years.  Implication being  none of this year’s crop were prototypical like Ballard desires.  He qualified that by saying there are of course exceptions, and that this years OT class was full of good players. My take away being, although this year’s class was full of good O-linemen, none of them that were available had the measurables the Colts look for and that when push came to shove, they loved the 2 DEs as compared. Hence, definite BPA with still filling a need. 

Given the explanation, I guess I can accept not going Darrisaw in the 1st & not trading up ⬆️ n the 2nd for an OT they had rated quite below Dayo, who Ballard affirmed that they have a first round grade on. 

A bit unrelated, when asked about Dayo’s injury timeline, Ballard said he learned from the experience with Luck to try not to put timelines on the recovery.  He went on to say, Mack had the same injury, is now 7 months on from the injury and he is now ready to go, so we’ll see.  Encouraging on Mack and perhaps encouraging on Dayo, who based on the Mack timeline, may be ready to go full bore in September or October. 

The draft grades are all over the place from D up to B+, a lot of it has to due with personal opinion, objectivity, bias and how tied in to the Colts the grader is.

Paye is an A+, homerun pick hands down.

Dayo, if healthy, would have also been a consensus A+ pick - but since he's injured (ala Blackmon last year) they get bashed

Wentz, essentially our 3rd Round Pick is a no brainer A+ 'pick' despite his one down year last year

Then you have the depth pieces, because let's face it, there were only two 'real' starting positions up for grabs in LT and DE. That is a product of solid roster building and they should not be punished for it!

For example, some will look at a 6'2" & 240 pound TE and think "that is not prototypical size" or they already have Doyle and Alie Cox, why spend a 4th rounder on a 3rd string TE? What they fail to realize is the scheme fit and how all three TE's are utilized in different manners to highlight their strengths and mask their weaknesses. Doyle as a blocker and short stick routes.....Alie Cox as a blocker and intermediate and goal line/jump ball routes.....and Granson will be utilized as a bully slot with run after abilities and for TE screens, bubble screens and attacking the seams!  So a short, non-blocking TE drafted in the 4th round will be playing a VERY key role in the offense.

They don't understand that in order to play our big nickel and dime packages we need a third safety that can play deep CF or split in cover 2 as well as line up over a TE or RB and man up or play zone. Enter Shawn Davis, 5th Round SS. He also brings core special teams experience with him which, in essence, can free up a WR roster slot if that is all that Dulin can provide these days. 

Sam Ehlinger in the 6th Round is a prospect that has all the winning traits and intangibles you want in a starting QB and I believe will bring a Brissett type spark to the locker room. He also fits the mold of an RPO Passer much better than Jacob Eason (whom I still like as a backup). Good depth piece if you ask me, and again we are talking about the 6th round here.

Michael Strachan as a 7th Round pick is the time when you pull the strings on an uber talented, yet raw prospect that you hope develops into a contributor in a year or two - hopefully more like Pierre Garcon than Ashton Dulin. But holy smokes, he is 6'5" & 226 lbs and runs a 4.42 40 plus has a large wingspan and a good vertical - sounds like the Colts are trying to field a bball team in the WR room with Pittman, Patmon, and Strachan as the bigs.

And lastly, a 7th Round pick spent on a swiss army knife offensive lineman who started 40 games at every position but center. That is depth right there even if he ends up on the practice squad.

So the pundits that do the grades never take the actual scenario these guys were drafted for, or the are not household names so they give out half thought out grades. Personally, I see exactly why each of these players were drafted and can see how their individual development will play out this year and into the future based on the current status of the roster.

Besides, these some pundits praised the pick of Hooker - who in the right single high system is great - but in a cover 2 his skillset is rendered useless. They also bashed the Leonard pick, the Julian Blackmon pick and nit-picked at moving up for Khari Willis. So let them blather away while we all know how these players will fit and be productive members of the squad.

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Wentz, essentially our 3rd Round Pick is a no brainer A+ 'pick' despite his one down year last year

Wentz = 3rd this year and a first next year (barring injury).  If he becomes the franchise QB for multiple years as a top 10 QB, then yes, it’s an A-A+, but let’s not pretend it’s just a 3rd rounder.  :)

7 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Wentz = 3rd this year and a first next year (barring injury).  If he becomes the franchise QB for multiple years as a top 10 QB, then yes, it’s an A-A+, but let’s not pretend it’s just a 3rd rounder.  :)

It is a third THIS year, which is the draft in question.

So I was not pretending anything. When discussing next years draft then whatever level of pick it ends up being I will discuss it as such then. 

4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

It is a third THIS year, which is the draft in question.

So I was not pretending anything. When discussing next years draft then whatever level of pick it ends up being I will discuss it as such then. 

Well you can’t grade the cost to get a player looking at just this year’s draft.  You have to grade in full context.  It is entirely not accurate to say a 3rd for Carson Wentz, so A+, even if the discussion is THIS draft. That’s my point.  Btw, I like the rest of your post. 

3 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Well you can’t grade the cost to get a player looking at just this year’s draft.  You have to grade in full context.  It is entirely not accurate to say a 3rd for Carson Wentz, so A+, even if the discussion is THIS draft. That’s my point.  Btw, I like the rest of your post. 

Fair enough and I do understand your point. It's too late now though as I said what I said! LOL

ANY grade talking about needs is garbage. Positive or negative. I don't care about needs in the draft. If they have good arguments against picking certain players, I am ready to hear them. And by good arguments I mean arguments about the talent of the players we picked (I sure as hell have my beefs with some of our picks, but they have nothing to do with - "they didn't fill their biggest needs"). Repeat it with me - "the draft is NOT for filling needs, it's about acquiring the best talent". 

THE DRAFT IS NOT FOR FILLING NEEDS. 

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

ANY grade talking about needs is garbage. Positive or negative. I don't care about needs in the draft. If they have good arguments against picking certain players, I am ready to hear them. And by good arguments I mean arguments about the talent of the players we picked (I sure as hell have my beefs with some of our picks, but they have nothing to do with - "they didn't fill their biggest needs"). Repeat it with me - "the draft is NOT for filling needs, it's about acquiring the best talent". 

THE DRAFT IS NOT FOR FILLING NEEDS. 

tenor.gif

I’ve had time to digest this draft.
Keep in mind i rarely know many players taken past the 2nd round which i think is true for most.  This past year, obviously, i was even less knowledgeable about potential draftees as were scouts, coaches, and GMs.

With that in mind, no, we did not really address the LT hole. I think Ballard looked in FA, but prices were too high and there was limited talent.  I do think he took it seriously tho.

Then came the draft.  Sometimes when we compare the holes at LT and rush, our most glaring needs, i think we compare from “what we had.”  Costanzo hasbeen fairly solid formost of his career.  We got lucky with that pick.  I’m not so sure Ballard didnt see a long-term starter at LT ehen 21 rolled around.  A starter? Possibly... but perhaps ge wasnt totally sold.  He mentioned the lack of “prototypical tackles.”   Then when Paye dropped... I think it was literally ano-brainer in their eyes.   I still think a solid pass rusher is tougher tofind than a “good” LT.  Possiblymore important in thebigger picture too.  Then the 2nd round, a few tackles gorightbefore us and there’s Dayo... a guy theyreally like.   If this pans out , we have the 2ndcoming of Mathis/Freeney..... potentially.  Could be huge.

I like Holden (?) end of last year, and i still believe Chris will find someone .  Maybe a serviceable guy for a year, but adequate.  And looking forward... our D-line could be SICK!

The TE shows some exciting skills.  A lil short, and bobbles catches, but i see the pop and i’ll defer to Frank.  The db seems to have ball skills and likes tohit. The OL Fries is solid backup with versatility i think.  I’m not expecting anything, bit am excited to see that big WR with a chip on hisshoulder and something to prove.

Now Ballard works night and day on LT.  Cuts, a trade.... he’ll come up with something.  He usually does.  If not, throw a TE pver there i guess.

It wasnt flashy, but i like the potential of the 1st two to really impact our D.  Our WHOLE D.  The losses of Houston and Autry were perhaps as important as replacing Castonzo.  In the bigger, longer-term picture.

10 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

The draft grades are all over the place from D up to B+, a lot of it has to due with personal opinion, objectivity, bias and how tied in to the Colts the grader is.

Paye is an A+, homerun pick hands down.

Dayo, if healthy, would have also been a consensus A+ pick - but since he's injured (ala Blackmon last year) they get bashed

Then you have the depth pieces, because let's face it, there were only two 'real' starting positions up for grabs in LT and DE. That is a product of solid roster building and they should not be punished for it!

For example, some will look at a 6'2" & 240 pound TE and think "that is not prototypical size" or they already have Doyle and Alie Cox, why spend a 4th rounder on a 3rd string TE? What they fail to realize is the scheme fit and how all three TE's are utilized in different manners to highlight their strengths and mask their weaknesses. Doyle as a blocker and short stick routes.....Alie Cox as a blocker and intermediate and goal line/jump ball routes.....and Granson will be utilized as a bully slot with run after abilities and for TE screens, bubble screens and attacking the seams!  So a short, non-blocking TE drafted in the 4th round will be playing a VERY key role in the offense.

They don't understand that in order to play our big nickel and dime packages we need a third safety that can play deep CF or split in cover 2 as well as line up over a TE or RB and man up or play zone. Enter Shawn Davis, 5th Round SS. He also brings core special teams experience with him which, in essence, can free up a WR roster slot if that is all that Dulin can provide these days. 

Sam Ehlinger in the 6th Round is a prospect that has all the winning traits and intangibles you want in a starting QB and I believe will bring a Brissett type spark to the locker room. He also fits the mold of an RPO Passer much better than Jacob Eason (whom I still like as a backup). Good depth piece if you ask me, and again we are talking about the 6th round here.

Michael Strachan as a 7th Round pick is the time when you pull the strings on an uber talented, yet raw prospect that you hope develops into a contributor in a year or two - hopefully more like Pierre Garcon than Ashton Dulin. But holy smokes, he is 6'5" & 226 lbs and runs a 4.42 40 plus has a large wingspan and a good vertical - sounds like the Colts are trying to field a bball team in the WR room with Pittman, Patmon, and Strachan as the bigs.

And lastly, a 7th Round pick spent on a swiss army knife offensive lineman who started 40 games at every position but center. That is depth right there even if he ends up on the practice squad.

So the pundits that do the grades never take the actual scenario these guys were drafted for, or the are not household names so they give out half thought out grades. Personally, I see exactly why each of these players were drafted and can see how their individual development will play out this year and into the future based on the current status of the roster.

Besides, these some pundits praised the pick of Hooker - who in the right single high system is great - but in a cover 2 his skillset is rendered useless. They also bashed the Leonard pick, the Julian Blackmon pick and nit-picked at moving up for Khari Willis. So let them blather away while we all know how these players will fit and be productive members of the squad.

Nice post

YOU get an A+ for THAT.

This entire concept of grading drafts before a player has even been fitted for his helmet is comically stupid. That goes the same for teams that get an A or a D. 

The writers who do these largely hate them because they know it is just a touch too early to know. If Dayo and Paye are the next Freeney and Mathis, then Ballard hit a home run. 

I think it was @stitchesand @Four2itus who both accurately said these ridiculous grades are based on addressing needs. And the good drafting teams are trying to add good players. There is no doubt the Colts are better today than they were at this time last week. 

18 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

This entire concept of grading drafts before a player has even been fitted for his helmet is comically stupid. That goes the same for teams that get an A or a D. 

The writers who do these largely hate them because they know it is just a touch too early to know. If Dayo and Paye are the next Freeney and Mathis, then Ballard hit a home run. 

I think it was @stitchesand @Four2itus who both accurately said these ridiculous grades are based on addressing needs. And the good drafting teams are trying to add good players. There is no doubt the Colts are better today than they were at this time last week. 

Yeah, who cares if you address a need if you address it with the equivalent of say... LeRaven Clark? There is SOO MUCH turnover in the league that needs switch up so quickly and something you thought you were set for the next decade gets blown up in the air by an early retirement or bad injury or drop in form or just... inability to resign some players because of cap problems. Just draft the best players(value) you can get and leave the short term needs to be address in FA where usually short term solutions are found.

Needs are short-term considerations, you address this in FA(or trade). Overal quality and talent on the roster should be long-term considearion and you get long-term building blocks in the draft(or in rare cases via trade).

Post draft grades are definitely worse.

Mocks are a fun exercise and it's interesting to see how different players might fit on different rosters. They help to build some excitement leading up to the draft for me. Some information in mocks can be accurate in terms of team interest in particular too, even if that doesn't necessarily mean that the team ends up drafting them.

Post draft grades and analysis just seems pointless to me though. Pre-draft it's more about optimistic speculation and potential. Post-draft, people's takes suddenly become final and set in stone. A player is either going to be a superstar or a bust and it's already been decided. 

I don't think I'll ever pay attention to any post draft evaluation now that I've seen Darius Leonard become what he's become after being called 'the worst pick in the draft'.

D. Awesome!

Love grades C and below! It shows the GM is still playing 3D chess while the media are licking scraps playing Checkers. The last few grades that've been like this have turned out superbly for Indy. More D's and F's please!

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Yeah, who cares if you address a need if you address it with the equivalent of say... LeRaven Clark? There is SOO MUCH turnover in the league that needs switch up so quickly and something you thought you were set for the next decade gets blown up in the air by an early retirement or bad injury or drop in form or just... inability to resign some players because of cap problems. Just draft the best players(value) you can get and leave the short term needs to be address in FA where usually short term solutions are found.

Needs are short-term considerations, you address this in FA(or trade). Overal quality and talent on the roster should be long-term considearion and you get long-term building blocks in the draft(or in rare cases via trade).

Here is why the post-draft grades and melt down on this board are so funny.

So Ballard and his staff clearly know that LT was a need going into the draft.  Maybe not as big a perceived need by them as other positions but they know Tevvi, Davenport or anyone else is very likely not a long-term solution.  I have no doubt if the LT they wanted at the place where they valued him according to their board was available, they would have taken him.  

So why would a team spend the 1000s of man hours they do so they can stack their boards as THEY see it and then at the moment of truth, select a player they don't think fits or is as good?  If they were to do that, why employ scouts and have all those meetings?  They can just get Kiper's big board and use that as their guide.

Archived