Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Unpopular Optimism Post Draft/UDFA Period


Recommended Posts

Covering the draft isn't really done with a focus on praising or criticizing Ballard.  At least from my point of view. Its about making decisions given the circumstances as we know them to be.  And we know that we know few of the circumstances.  We take what info we have, knowing its not complete, and have a fun little time playing fantasy decision maker.

 

To those who bash a pick, you know nothing.  But, for those who praise a pick, you also know nothing.

 

I don't see the compelling need for forum discussions about personnel to be Ballard-centric.

 

But, if we didn't get better after every draft day, Houston, we have a problem.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Sidenote: how cool is it that Ehlinger and Granson played HS ball together and get drafted by the same team in the same draft!??!

And here's the video to prove it.

 

 

  • Thanks 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Every year come draft time the media and fans tend to show their horns and bash certain picks and praise others all with very little knowledge of the individual player and the reason they were selected. Just like last year you HAVE to factor in Carson Wentz as your 3rd Round Pick just like Buckner last year.....otherwise you are not giving justice to the full draft.

 

Ballard and Company's draft track record should give critics pause when bashing XYZ player/pick. Since 2017 43 of his 45 draft picks are on an NFL roster and contributing. The lone 2, Malik Hooker and Reece Fountain - by the time the season begins they will likely be signed by someone. Additionally, 34 of his 45 picks are still on the Colts roster.  To deny that level of excellence is just plain ignorant.

 

Additionally, going into this draft, our "perceived" needs were LT, DE, TE, WR, DB. While it is obvious that no LT was drafted he fulfilled pretty much everything else.

 

DE - Paye and Odeyingbo add depth/competition to Lewis, Banogu, Turay, Muhammad and Rochell.

 

TE - We all wanted a "move" TE and though everyone had their flavor, we should all agree that Granson turns into a RB after the catch and can be a useful 3rd TE.

 

WR - Again, we all had our flavors of choice but its obvious Ballard is drafting certain body types these days - Tall, long and with huge catch radius. Even Tarik Black and Tyler Vaughns as UDFA fall into that category. Waiting until the 7th tells me they are confident in Pittman becoming a 1 and further development of Campbell and Patmon.

 

DB - They re-signed Rhodes and Carrie and get Tell back from Covid. Add that to Moore, Ya Sin and Rodgers that gives us a solid set of DB's. Sprinkle in Rod Teamer who was a stud his rookie year before sitting last year due to a suspension and you basically added two talented players without using draft capital between he and Tell. Thus we added a CFer who has some ball skills and can thump on the back end to add to Blackmon, Odum, Davis and Willis.

 

Which brings me to LT.....our starter is already on the roster (unless they sign Eric Fisher) in Sam Tevi. Go ahead and laugh or scream or get ready to angry type me, but hear me out.

 

Castonzo in 2020

724 snaps in pass pro

36 pressures

2 sacks

 

Tevi in 2020

1024 snaps in pass pro

33 pressures

2 sacks

 

Let that TRULY sink in for a minute. Tevi is not as accomplished a run blocker as Castonzo is, hence Castonzo's PFF Rating was 20 points higher. But in Pass Pro Tevi held up better, over a full season mind you, than AC did WITH a rookie QB at the helm. Again, let that sink in. Perhaps, just perhaps he can deal with speed rushers better on the left side than he did power rushers on the right side? Or, perhaps the light finally came on and he learned how to play better at the NFL level? Any way you slice it his stats say he performed on par or better than AC in Pass Pro.

 

So our draft netted us quality starters and at least 4 that will likely contribute on a roster with 3 spots open.....LT, RDE and 3rd TE. Everything else is spoken for.

 

1 - Paye - likely starting RDE

2- Odeyingbo - likely starting LDE (When healthy)

3 - Wentz - a Franchise type QB

4 - Granson - a move TE very specific to our scheme

5 - Davis - a backend CFer and thumper

6 - Ehlinger - an accomplished QB who's skillset is closer to Wentz while Easons is closer to Rivers

7 - a beast of a WR at 6'5" that runs a 4.42

7 - a swing lineman capable of playing every spot on the oline

 

Then in UDFA

 

Jackson - a 6' 220 RB that runs a 4.32 and has good hands

Vaughns - prototypical 3rd down precise route runner 3rd on USC'S reception list - also 6'2"

Black - 6'3" 215 possession receiver with bad qb play at Michigan 

 

And linebackers who aren't athletic enough to beat out who we already have - in my humble opinion

 

I know this is unpopular due to my optimism and trust in our decision makers to find the right players for what they want in our schemes PLUS Sam Tevi as the starter.....

 

Sidenote: how cool is it that Ehlinger and Granson played HS ball together and get drafted by the same team in the same draft!??!

Also, Tevi didn't have Q playing next to him when he was on the Chargers.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Covering the draft isn't really done with a focus on praising or criticizing Ballard.  At least from my point of view. Its about making decisions given the circumstances as we know them to be.  And we know that we know few of the circumstances.  We take what info we have, knowing its not complete, and have a fun little time playing fantasy decision maker.

 

To those who bash a pick, you know nothing.  But, for those who praise a pick, you also know nothing.

 

I don't see the compelling need for forum discussions about personnel to be Ballard-centric.

 

But, if we didn't get better after every draft day, Houston, we have a problem.

 

I’ve been trying to articulate this kind of point but you nailed it.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Every year come draft time the media and fans tend to show their horns and bash certain picks and praise others all with very little knowledge of the individual player and the reason they were selected. Just like last year you HAVE to factor in Carson Wentz as your 3rd Round Pick just like Buckner last year.....otherwise you are not giving justice to the full draft.

 

Ballard and Company's draft track record should give critics pause when bashing XYZ player/pick. Since 2017 43 of his 45 draft picks are on an NFL roster and contributing. The lone 2, Malik Hooker and Reece Fountain - by the time the season begins they will likely be signed by someone. Additionally, 34 of his 45 picks are still on the Colts roster.  To deny that level of excellence is just plain ignorant.

 

Additionally, going into this draft, our "perceived" needs were LT, DE, TE, WR, DB. While it is obvious that no LT was drafted he fulfilled pretty much everything else.

 

DE - Paye and Odeyingbo add depth/competition to Lewis, Banogu, Turay, Muhammad and Rochell.

 

TE - We all wanted a "move" TE and though everyone had their flavor, we should all agree that Granson turns into a RB after the catch and can be a useful 3rd TE.

 

WR - Again, we all had our flavors of choice but its obvious Ballard is drafting certain body types these days - Tall, long and with huge catch radius. Even Tarik Black and Tyler Vaughns as UDFA fall into that category. Waiting until the 7th tells me they are confident in Pittman becoming a 1 and further development of Campbell and Patmon.

 

DB - They re-signed Rhodes and Carrie and get Tell back from Covid. Add that to Moore, Ya Sin and Rodgers that gives us a solid set of DB's. Sprinkle in Rod Teamer who was a stud his rookie year before sitting last year due to a suspension and you basically added two talented players without using draft capital between he and Tell. Thus we added a CFer who has some ball skills and can thump on the back end to add to Blackmon, Odum, Davis and Willis.

 

Which brings me to LT.....our starter is already on the roster (unless they sign Eric Fisher) in Sam Tevi. Go ahead and laugh or scream or get ready to angry type me, but hear me out.

 

Castonzo in 2020

724 snaps in pass pro

36 pressures

2 sacks

 

Tevi in 2020

1024 snaps in pass pro

33 pressures

2 sacks

 

Let that TRULY sink in for a minute. Tevi is not as accomplished a run blocker as Castonzo is, hence Castonzo's PFF Rating was 20 points higher. But in Pass Pro Tevi held up better, over a full season mind you, than AC did WITH a rookie QB at the helm. Again, let that sink in. Perhaps, just perhaps he can deal with speed rushers better on the left side than he did power rushers on the right side? Or, perhaps the light finally came on and he learned how to play better at the NFL level? Any way you slice it his stats say he performed on par or better than AC in Pass Pro.

 

So our draft netted us quality starters and at least 4 that will likely contribute on a roster with 3 spots open.....LT, RDE and 3rd TE. Everything else is spoken for.

 

1 - Paye - likely starting RDE

2- Odeyingbo - likely starting LDE (When healthy)

3 - Wentz - a Franchise type QB

4 - Granson - a move TE very specific to our scheme

5 - Davis - a backend CFer and thumper

6 - Ehlinger - an accomplished QB who's skillset is closer to Wentz while Easons is closer to Rivers

7 - a beast of a WR at 6'5" that runs a 4.42

7 - a swing lineman capable of playing every spot on the oline

 

Then in UDFA

 

Jackson - a 6' 220 RB that runs a 4.32 and has good hands

Vaughns - prototypical 3rd down precise route runner 3rd on USC'S reception list - also 6'2"

Black - 6'3" 215 possession receiver with bad qb play at Michigan 

 

And linebackers who aren't athletic enough to beat out who we already have - in my humble opinion

 

I know this is unpopular due to my optimism and trust in our decision makers to find the right players for what they want in our schemes PLUS Sam Tevi as the starter.....

 

Sidenote: how cool is it that Ehlinger and Granson played HS ball together and get drafted by the same team in the same draft!??!

 

Comparing Tevi to Castonzo is an insult to Castonzo ... I don't care what the stats look like on paper.  The Chargers would not have let Tevi go and spent a high 1st on a Tackle if Tevi was even close to Castonzo's level.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm fine with the draft.  Not blown away, nor do I feel it's Ballard's best job thus far, but I'm fine with it.  He addressed a glaring need at pass-rush and did it twice.  Whether you agree with how he did it will be up for debate.  Hell, there's still Colts fans that don't like the addition of Buckner, so you simply can't please everybody.  But I like the roster and think the defense got better.  The offense?  They will go as far as Wentz can take them.  That, to me, is the biggest gamble of the off-season.  Ballard is trusting Reich here.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Covering the draft isn't really done with a focus on praising or criticizing Ballard.  At least from my point of view. Its about making decisions given the circumstances as we know them to be.  And we know that we know few of the circumstances.  We take what info we have, knowing its not complete, and have a fun little time playing fantasy decision maker.

 

To those who bash a pick, you know nothing.  But, for those who praise a pick, you also know nothing.

 

I don't see the compelling need for forum discussions about personnel to be Ballard-centric.

 

But, if we didn't get better after every draft day, Houston, we have a problem.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, esmort said:

 

Comparing Tevi to Castonzo is an insult to Castonzo ... I don't care what the stats look like on paper.  The Chargers would not have let Tevi go and spent a high 1st on a Tackle if Tevi was even close to Castonzo's level.

Insulting or not, stats don't lie and those stats indicate Tevi is not the turnstile that most believe him to be. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our run game will suffer big time if Tevi is the starter IMO.  His passing stats indicate the Chargers threw a lot.  Herbert was sacked something like 50 times I believe.  A young guy running for his life from a pocket that had trouble holding up I would assume.  I would say their OL was a turnstile.  They could have resigned him but chose to move on.   I would hope he’s better than Clark and be fine as a depth player.  He’s our starter today only because Ballard didn’t get one in the draft.  So I am expecting another move that will result in a different starter at LT for the season.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Covering the draft isn't really done with a focus on praising or criticizing Ballard.  At least from my point of view. Its about making decisions given the circumstances as we know them to be.  And we know that we know few of the circumstances.  We take what info we have, knowing its not complete, and have a fun little time playing fantasy decision maker.

 

To those who bash a pick, you know nothing.  But, for those who praise a pick, you also know nothing.

 

I don't see the compelling need for forum discussions about personnel to be Ballard-centric.

 

But, if we didn't get better after every draft day, Houston, we have a problem.

Of course we know nothing, we aren’t there during the interviews, we aren’t there during the construction of the draft board. The only thing we know is that the administration does this as a profession so (hopefully) they do know something. 
 

It’s not blind faith, but more along the lines of trust. 
 

I know it seems foolish, and perhaps pathetic that we all go round and round on this stuff, because at the end of the day it’s pointless and means nothing. I mean, this forum isn’t really necessary for the team to do what it needs to do, but here we are anyways. This is our escape, and it’s something we all seem to care about together.
 

With so much bad going on in the world, not even including the stupid virus, having a little fun discussing draft picks is what a lot of people need at the moment, harmony be darned. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Insulting or not, stats don't lie and those stats indicate Tevi is not the turnstile that most believe him to be. 

 

One year stats is nothing to go about, you obviously didn't read this summarizing over 3 years, cherry picking only what you want us to see, ignoring the amount of pressures given up, I am sorry I don't buy it.

 

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/28/indianapolis-colts-sam-tevi-signing-pff-least-favorite/

 

In Tevi’s three years of starting experience, he has produced the worst pass-block grade among tackles (51.6) and has allowed more pressure than anyone in that group (134). For reference, Castonzo gave up just 78 quarterback pressures in that same span and less than half the total number of sacks and hits combined.

 

Castanzo, PFF rating 2020 - 73.4

Tevi, PFF rating 2020 - 52.9

 

Castanzo, PFF rating 2019 - 81.3

Sam Tevi, PFF rating 2019 - 59.8

 

Castanzo, PFF rating 2018 - 77.7

Sam Tevi, PFF rating 2018 - 52.3

 

I am not as pessimistic about the state of the team or the impact of the draft but please, posters (several have done this) should stop trying too hard to convince all of us Tevi is a viable replacement, at least I will not be convinced until I see otherwise based on these 3 years of history, not just cherry picked stats from 2020.

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is interesting.  I'm sure everyone knows they can find a negative on any player drafted, 

 

Peyton Manning - they said would spread his legs too far during his drop back and can't win the big one.

This years #1, Trevor Lawrence - They said something about his commitment prior to the draft.  Says he takes too much risk, stairs down targets, contributing to his 17 career int.

If we drafted OT Darrisaw - maybe due to a lack of condition which leads to different energy levels from one play to the next/inconsistent play.  Not a good pull blocker.

 

Like mentioned, regardless of who we drafted, someone will find a negative to keep us grounded.

 

Ehlinger and Granson playing High School football on the same time and catching a TD from him, that is Cool.  Funny, the say Granson is 6-3 210, he got shorter in College.

At 6-2 240, he can also play FB/RB in short yardage.  Not sure of he would be a better option that Jonathan Taylor though but could like up as a lead blocker and be deception receiver out of that play or run Granson going up the middle as Taylor is moving away away from the hole at the snap and defense has to respect and follow Taylor. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

we all go round and round on this stuff, because at the end of the day it’s pointless and means nothing.

Most discussions that are not about material things can be categorized as pointless.

 

------Mr. Spock

 

But its fun.

 

------Bones McCoy

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, esmort said:

 

Comparing Tevi to Castonzo is an insult to Castonzo ... I don't care what the stats look like on paper.  The Chargers would not have let Tevi go and spent a high 1st on a Tackle if Tevi was even close to Castonzo's level.

You make a decent point. You dont get rid of a Costanzo level player at left tackle. Ballard felt Costanzo was top 5 in the league. I see the numbers Scott posted but theres a disconnect somewhere to make them do that. If we ever let go of Costanzo its not likely hed be seen as a player who was a QB killer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Insulting or not, stats don't lie and those stats indicate Tevi is not the turnstile that most believe him to be. 

That can't be right I remember  seeing  another  post about tevi allowing  more pressures in a game than constanza over 8

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

 

One year stats is nothing to go about, you obviously didn't read this summarizing over 3 years, cherry picking only what you want us to see, ignoring the amount of pressures given up, I am sorry I don't buy it.

 

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/28/indianapolis-colts-sam-tevi-signing-pff-least-favorite/

 

In Tevi’s three years of starting experience, he has produced the worst pass-block grade among tackles (51.6) and has allowed more pressure than anyone in that group (134). For reference, Castonzo gave up just 78 quarterback pressures in that same span and less than half the total number of sacks and hits combined.

 

Castanzo, PFF rating 2020 - 73.4

Tevi, PFF rating 2020 - 52.9

 

Castanzo, PFF rating 2019 - 81.3

Sam Tevi, PFF rating 2019 - 59.8

 

Castanzo, PFF rating 2018 - 77.7

Sam Tevi, PFF rating 2018 - 52.3

 

I am not as pessimistic about the state of the team or the impact of the draft but please, posters (several have done this) should stop trying too hard to convince all of us Tevi is a viable replacement, at least I will not be convinced until I see otherwise based on these 3 years of history, not just cherry picked stats from 2020.

 

That is scary wentz might not make it through the  season  if tevi starts. Eason might not either and then sam would be playing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our greatest weakness was lack of pass rush and we’ll need it given the QBs we face in regular season and in playoffs.  Mission accomplished; we filled a huge need.  This team can compete and go as far as injuries and Wentz will allow - we can compete with and beat anyone.  Every team has questions:  ours are Wentz and LT.  If they pan out (and the Tevi vs Costanso comparison was shocking to me), we’re going to be very good.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Our run game will suffer big time if Tevi is the starter IMO.  His passing stats indicate the Chargers threw a lot.  Herbert was sacked something like 50 times I believe.  A young guy running for his life from a pocket that had trouble holding up I would assume.  I would say their OL was a turnstile.  They could have resigned him but chose to move on.   I would hope he’s better than Clark and be fine as a depth player.  He’s our starter today only because Ballard didn’t get one in the draft.  So I am expecting another move that will result in a different starter at LT for the season.

 

Even Arrowhead addict fans think the obvious unsaid answer seems to be Eric Fisher:

 

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2021/05/02/eric-fisher-indianapolis-colts-makes-sense-after-2021-nfl-draft/

 

We will see.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

One year stats is nothing to go about, you obviously didn't read this summarizing over 3 years, cherry picking only what you want us to see, ignoring the amount of pressures given up, I am sorry I don't buy it.

 

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/28/indianapolis-colts-sam-tevi-signing-pff-least-favorite/

 

In Tevi’s three years of starting experience, he has produced the worst pass-block grade among tackles (51.6) and has allowed more pressure than anyone in that group (134). For reference, Castonzo gave up just 78 quarterback pressures in that same span and less than half the total number of sacks and hits combined.

 

Castanzo, PFF rating 2020 - 73.4

Tevi, PFF rating 2020 - 52.9

 

Castanzo, PFF rating 2019 - 81.3

Sam Tevi, PFF rating 2019 - 59.8

 

Castanzo, PFF rating 2018 - 77.7

Sam Tevi, PFF rating 2018 - 52.3

 

I am not as pessimistic about the state of the team or the impact of the draft but please, posters (several have done this) should stop trying too hard to convince all of us Tevi is a viable replacement, at least I will not be convinced until I see otherwise based on these 3 years of history, not just cherry picked stats from 2020.

 

I cherry picked the most recent year because he switched sides and even mentioned that in the original thread- reading is fundamental hoss.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

I cherry picked the most recent year because he switched sides and even mentioned that in the original thread- reading is fundamental hoss.

 

His rating was still terrible, can't argue around that, no matter how much you want to spin it and the pom-pom shakers drink up the Tevi kool-aid. :thmup:

 

You are not going to convince me, period, on Tevi, until he shows me otherwise on the field, so let us agree to disagree. I share your optimism with my trust in Ballard and the decision makers too but just not on the Tevi front, to be clear, and we don't have to.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, DougDew said:

Covering the draft isn't really done with a focus on praising or criticizing Ballard.  At least from my point of view. Its about making decisions given the circumstances as we know them to be.  And we know that we know few of the circumstances.  We take what info we have, knowing its not complete, and have a fun little time playing fantasy decision maker.

 

To those who bash a pick, you know nothing.  But, for those who praise a pick, you also know nothing.

 

I don't see the compelling need for forum discussions about personnel to be Ballard-centric.

 

But, if we didn't get better after every draft day, Houston, we have a problem.

Well, Houston does have a problem. I think they have more than one. So if I question them taking Mills with their first pick of the draft that automatically makes me an * who should just shut up and sit in the corner? If you don't want discussion and debate then lobby to shut the forums down. That's what we are all here to do.

 

So to say that anyone who has an opinion knows nothing is to say that Ballard knows nothing. The draft is about opinion. Do I know more about the team he gets paid to run? Nope. Do I know the game of football at the ground level? Yup. I can be right and I damn sure can be wrong, but I do my best to strive for the former and that's all any human being can do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JoeThornburg said:

Well, Houston does have a problem. I think they have more than one. So if I question them taking Mills with their first pick of the draft that automatically makes me an * who should just shut up and sit in the corner? If you don't want discussion and debate then lobby to shut the forums down. That's what we are all here to do.

 

So to say that anyone who has an opinion knows nothing is to say that Ballard knows nothing. The draft is about opinion. Do I know more about the team he gets paid to run? Nope. Do I know the game of football at the ground level? Yup. I can be right and I damn sure can be wrong, but I do my best to strive for the former and that's all any human being can do.

Taking the Houston example, what I'm saying is that we know nothing relative to the issues within HOU or with DW.  Mills can turn out to be a starter or can be DWs back up for many years.  HOU is walking a line of having to protect themselves against DWs departure and not investing so much in a draft pick as to force DWs departure.  They've got Tyrod for one year, and now a young QB to have on the roster for a few years in a capacity that's yet to be determined.

 

For anybody to either bash or praise the pick seems over the top to me.

 

In this context, we can debate the pick.  But if we use our feeble understanding of a situation to then bash or praise the GM depending upon their decision agreeing with our feeble knowledge based decision seems like a GM-centric approach to the analysis. 

 

IOW, it seems that we link every decision back to an opinion of Ballard.  I don't see why our process has to do that. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, krunk said:

Why? Bc they know they cant have Tevi be the answer. And they know hes no Costanzo.

We WILL get a LT 

 

Write it down........  

 

Then the draft "grades" become even more worthless

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

1 - Paye - likely starting RDE

2- Odeyingbo - likely starting LDE (When healthy)

3 - Wentz - a Franchise type QB

4 - Granson - a move TE very specific to our scheme

5 - Davis - a backend CFer and thumper

6 - Ehlinger - an accomplished QB who's skillset is closer to Wentz while Easons is closer to Rivers

7 - a beast of a WR at 6'5" that runs a 4.42

7 - a swing lineman capable of playing every spot on the oline

 

Granson and Ehlinger are the two picks I don't care for.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, DougDew said:

 

 

But, if we didn't get better after every draft day, Houston, we have a problem.

 

 

In certain areas, we did get better, and if the roster was locked today, I would agree with you

 

But......   Sept is a LONG way away

 

Fisher, Villinueva, Okung are all still available

(I expect Fisher to be our starting LT by Oct 1)

 

ALSO....... there WILL be final cuts from the NFL as people are still trying to figure out their rosters

as well as decent players that show well in camp, and it makes the position redundant with another vet

 

A player may be available in trade in the summer for a future draft pick

 

Looking at the draft

 

Part of the Wentz trade WAS a 3rd round pick from this draft

 

I think Wentz is an upgrade over last years QB

 

Our DL is better. I predict Paye has an immediate impact

Our TE room is deeper

Our WR room is a little deeper

We have more depth on IOL

We have more depth at S

 

That really leaves LT, maybe LB depth, and maybe CB growth candidates as possible MISSES

 

 

I am still happy with the draft, a bit surprised we didnt trade up into round 3 to take Brady from BYU, but we now have some great candidates on the DL

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Myles said:

 

 

1 - Paye - likely starting RDE

2- Odeyingbo - likely starting LDE (When healthy)

3 - Wentz - a Franchise type QB

4 - Granson - a move TE very specific to our scheme

5 - Davis - a backend CFer and thumper

6 - Ehlinger - an accomplished QB who's skillset is closer to Wentz while Easons is closer to Rivers

7 - a beast of a WR at 6'5" that runs a 4.42

7 - a swing lineman capable of playing every spot on the oline

 

Granson and Ehlinger are the two picks I don't care for.  

I might have offered 4,5, and 6th (if needed) to move up to get Brady Christenson 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

 

 

In certain areas, we did get better, and if the roster was locked today, I would agree with you

 

But......   Sept is a LONG way away

 

Fisher, Villinueva, Okung are all still available

(I expect Fisher to be our starting LT by Oct 1)

 

ALSO....... there WILL be final cuts from the NFL as people are still trying to figure out their rosters

as well as decent players that show well in camp, and it makes the position redundant with another vet

 

A player may be available in trade in the summer for a future draft pick

 

Looking at the draft

 

Part of the Wentz trade WAS a 3rd round pick from this draft

 

I think Wentz is an upgrade over last years QB

 

Our DL is better. I predict Paye has an immediate impact

Our TE room is deeper

Our WR room is a little deeper

We have more depth on IOL

We have more depth at S

 

That really leaves LT, maybe LB depth, and maybe CB growth candidates as possible MISSES

 

 

I am still happy with the draft, a bit surprised we didnt trade up into round 3 to take Brady from BYU, but we now have some great candidates on the DL

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I think we simply replaced a lot of departing players.  Its a gain in the long run. 

 

Houston didn't get sacks last year, but pressures.  Same as Paye in college.

 

If we got the LT, we would not be worse there.

 

We got the FS we didn't have.  So that is better.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

And here's the video to prove it.

 

 

 

 Very cool!
 Ehlinger had enough on that ball as a high schooler for the play to work in the NFL. And on the $$$. We saw so little of that type of play with such accuracy in Luck's 1st 3 years BTW.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

 stats don't lie 

No they don't but they are often misunderstood and even more often incomplete. 

 

I am not sold on Tevi. His tape along with the chargers letting him walk contradict his statistical worth. 

 

That being said I am very positive on this draft class.  I also don't think it's the end of the world we didn't draft a LT. 

 

But let's not rewrite history about Tevi based on apple to oranges statistics. Different offenses. 

 

He is not great or even good. His ceiling is adequate for the time being. 

 

Just my opinion and it ain't worth much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

His rating was still terrible, can't argue around that, no matter how much you want to spin it and the pom-pom shakers drink up the Tevi kool-aid. :thmup:

 

You are not going to convince me, period, on Tevi, until he shows me otherwise on the field, so let us agree to disagree. I share your optimism with my trust in Ballard and the decision makers too but just not on the Tevi front, to be clear, and we don't have to.

I am optimistic, not a pom pom shaker. I found those stats to be incredible myself and like I said, perhaps the light turned on last year? The Chargers may have just seen enough poor play on the right side that they decided to look elsewhere. We shall see and at this point I can agree to disagree!  Personally I do hope we sign Eric Fisher (which I did mention as well) and this become a moot point!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I am optimistic, not a pom pom shaker. I found those stats to be incredible myself and like I said, perhaps the light turned on last year? The Chargers may have just seen enough poor play on the right side that they decided to look elsewhere. We shall see and at this point I can agree to disagree!  Personally I do hope we sign Eric Fisher (which I did mention as well) and this become a moot point!

As a matter of fact, I always appreciate the positive approach that you have on posts, vs the sky is falling crowd

 

The sky IS NOT falling.......  of course I will always want to call you POM POM, just to break your circular attachments :)

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

As a matter of fact, I always appreciate the positive approach that you have on posts, vs the sky is falling crowd

 

The sky IS NOT falling.......  of course I will always want to call you POM POM, just to break your circular attachments :)

 

 

I'm quite positive its the military leader and coach coming out in me that I am eternally optimistic even while embracing the suck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'm quite positive its the military leader and coach coming out in me that I am eternally optimistic even while embracing the suck!

I'm the same way.

 

I have managed large teams and I chose to be a "wind in the sail" type leader 

 

Thats how I approach life

 

The good Lord has blessed this old Texan, So what do I have to be grouchy about?

 

Its good to see another positive person with a positive outlook on life!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to view what Chris Ballard is doing through a long lens, so I am mostly positive. Their first need this season was at QB. They addressed that at, if things work out, a good price and for many years. The next need, in their view, was at DE after losing Autry and, I'm guessing, seeing Justin Houston getting older. They addressed that in the draft. The next need was possibly at LT. They were not seeing a good solution to that in the fourth round. They also saw a need at TE where Jack Doyle is probably in his final season. They addressed that in the draft also. I'm guessing they will try to find another blocking TE somewhere. After the fourth round, they got depth and took a flier on Strachan. I don't care if the kid went to the Little Sisters of the Poor Trade School, when I see 6'5, 220, and a 4.5 40, I look at it as a positive. There might be more than a couple of decent tackles let go after the draft that would not mind lining up next to Big Q for a year or two. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, coltsfan1965 said:

I have to view what Chris Ballard is doing through a long lens, so I am mostly positive. Their first need this season was at QB. They addressed that at, if things work out, a good price and for many years. The next need, in their view, was at DE after losing Autry and, I'm guessing, seeing Justin Houston getting older. They addressed that in the draft. The next need was possibly at LT. They were not seeing a good solution to that in the fourth round. They also saw a need at TE where Jack Doyle is probably in his final season. They addressed that in the draft also. I'm guessing they will try to find another blocking TE somewhere. After the fourth round, they got depth and took a flier on Strachan. I don't care if the kid went to the Little Sisters of the Poor Trade School, when I see 6'5, 220, and a 4.5 40, I look at it as a positive. There might be more than a couple of decent tackles let go after the draft that would not mind lining up next to Big Q for a year or two. 

I still think we end up with Eartz

 

The Eagles dont have the cap (Its a 12m hit, i believe)

 

I think the hit is closer to $2M if they cut him (I would have to look again)

 

I think he will be cut and will be available....   I dont think anyone is paying 10M for his services

 

I think we get him for 6M ish for a one yea deal

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I still think we end up with Eartz

 

The Eagles dont have the cap (Its a 12m hit, i believe)

 

I think the hit is closer to $2M if they cut him (I would have to look again)

 

I think he will be cut and will be available....   I dont think anyone is paying 10M for his services

 

I think we get him for 6M ish for a one yea deal

I'm just not sure they want to keep 4 active TE on the roster. Maybe if Granson is a special teamer also. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Well we normally win one game in a surprise fashion so the Bucs or Bills could be that. I say this year we sweep the Jags for the first time since like 2013. We beat the Titans, as long as our QB can move and Frank remembers they have a running game too. Raiders, I do not expect to still be competing at that point. Cardinals, who knows, depends if Murray hits a wall for his third straight year or not, plus could be a Christmas Miracle. Texans, Jets, and Pats we need to take care of business. If not for Wentz injury, we win Rams game, and could probably the Titans. Baltimore was epic collapse. The Seahawks is the only straight lost. So the biggest wild card is injuries
    • Besides the division the 6th and 7th seed is up for grabs as well. Currently the Steelers have the 7th seed. AFC North will cannibalize each other. Next two games will be very important.
    • Folks. Really. Ballard isn’t going to allow Reich to hold Wentz out with the intention of doing the Eagles dirty on the pick. That wouldn’t just be un-Ballardlike, it would be entirely unprecedented. If we pulled some % like that who would ever want to trade with us again? How are the players, that you want to entice to wanting to come and play here, react to that?    Send them the first round pick now and just be done with it. We got what we paid for, and this organization isn’t going to step into a pile of % that would reach knee-deep when they can just take the simple and easy step right over the top of it instead. 
    • As another poster said, Henry is really the only RB you can ride that hard to be out there every play. The reason Taylor still can get those long runs late is the DEF is tired but he isnt since he does get breaks, and then to have Mack and Hines runs gives a bit of another hit on the DEF without Taylor getting hit and gives a different look where a big play could hit later (Like if they only passed when Hines was in then DEF would only play the Pass, you run him a few times to make the DEF stay honest). That is kinda that reason for rotation.       Really may complaint is after up 24-3 I wish they had taken Wentz out and let Hundley in, one to help with the draft thing, but 2 there could have been a cheapshot on Wentz and could get injured at a meaningless point. A thing like with what happened to TY
    • You have a point there. Not crazy about Rodgers or Brady. 
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...