Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CR91 Colts draft grade

Let's take a long at the colts draft class and give an elevation for each pick and determine how they fit for the colts.

Kwity Paye Edge

Id like to start by saying I never thought Paye would get out of the top 15 let alone 21. It's an absolute steal value and need wise. I expect Paye to start week one and be that constant pass rush we've missed for a long time.

Grade - A

Dayo Odeyingbo Edge

I mentioned before the draft do not be surprised if the colts doubled down at Edge. I just expected it to be a trade down in the third. I understand the colts thinking here. Dayo is a monster in the trenches and will fill the Autry role perfectly. The problem is his injury so we don't know if he'll even play this year.

Grade - incomplete

Kylen Granson TE

I like this pick as Granson is not the biggest player, but he's slack and faster then he looks. Obviously this is the Ebron/Burton role in the offense and Granson can fit that perfectly. I'm not sure if this takes us out of getting Ertz though.

Grade - B

Shawn Davis S

Probably the pick I disagree with the most. I just don't see the need. We have two really good starting safeties along with two vets and Odum coming off an All-pro year on STs. Davis is mentioned as a hard hitter, but I watched a few of his plays and he whiffs a lot and not exactly instinctive at the point of attack just more of a cleaner of the play.

Grade - D

Sam Ehlinger QB

Just screams gadget player, but also keep in mind the QBs we're playing this year. Russ, Kyler, Watson, Lawrence, Allen, Tua. All QBs that can hurt you with their legs and Sam can be used to mimic them. Not saying he's as athletic as them, but can still help us prepare. Unfortunately that is really all Sam will be in this league as he's not big enough to play nor  the arm talent to make up for it.

Grade - C

Michael Strachan WR

This pick intrigues me as I see more of a TE then a WR. Kid is huge at 6 5 almost 230 with 4.4 speed. Unfortunately, he's extremely raw at route running hence why I'm suggesting moving him to TE.

Grade - C +

Will Fries OL

I put OL because Fries can play anywhere and he'll do a decent job. He's your prototypical swing linemen who can come in when you need him, but don't want starting as he will be exposed. He can win reps, but is not strong at the point of attack and can be fooled by stunts very easily.

Grade - C

Overall I will give the colts a B - for this draft. Honestly the only thing stopping me from giving them a C is the Kwity pick. I just don't think we got better overall as a team. Dayo can change that if he can play this year, but an achilles injury for a 300 pound man is not exactly easy to come back from.

Fair assessment I believe.  If I had to guess I would bet Dayo was the last player on their board with a 1st rd grade.  Hopefully he comes through for us.  I think they gambled one of the tackles they wanted would drop and they lost.  I love the Paye and Granson picks.  

38 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Let's take a long at the colts draft class and give an elevation for each pick and determine how they fit for the colts.

Kwity Paye Edge

Id like to start by saying I never thought Paye would get out of the top 15 let alone 21. It's an absolute steal value and need wise. I expect Paye to start week one and be that constant pass rush we've missed for a long time.

Grade - A

Dayo Odeyingbo Edge

I mentioned before the draft do not be surprised if the colts doubled down at Edge. I just expected it to be a trade down in the third. I understand the colts thinking here. Dayo is a monster in the trenches and will fill the Autry role perfectly. The problem is his injury so we don't know if he'll even play this year.

Grade - incomplete

Kylen Granson TE

I like this pick as Granson is not the biggest player, but he's slack and faster then he looks. Obviously this is the Ebron/Burton role in the offense and Granson can fit that perfectly. I'm not sure if this takes us out of getting Ertz though.

Grade - B

Shawn Davis S

Probably the pick I disagree with the most. I just don't see the need. We have two really good starting safeties along with two vets and Odum coming off an All-pro year on STs. Davis is mentioned as a hard hitter, but I watched a few of his plays and he whiffs a lot and not exactly instinctive at the point of attack just more of a cleaner of the play.

Grade - D

Sam Ehlinger QB

Just screams gadget player, but also keep in mind the QBs we're playing this year. Russ, Kyler, Watson, Lawrence, Allen, Tua. All QBs that can hurt you with their legs and Sam can be used to mimic them. Not saying he's as athletic as them, but can still help us prepare. Unfortunately that is really all Sam will be in this league as he's not big enough to play nor  the arm talent to make up for it.

Grade - C

Michael Strachan WR

This pick intrigues me as I see more of a TE then a WR. Kid is huge at 6 5 almost 230 with 4.4 speed. Unfortunately, he's extremely raw at route running hence why I'm suggesting moving him to TE.

Grade - C +

Will Fries OL

I put OL because Fries can play anywhere and he'll do a decent job. He's your prototypical swing linemen who can come in when you need him, but don't want starting as he will be exposed. He can win reps, but is not strong at the point of attack and can be fooled by stunts very easily.

Grade - C

Overall I will give the colts a B - for this draft. Honestly the only thing stopping me from giving them a C is the Kwity pick. I just don't think we got better overall as a team. Dayo can change that if he can play this year, but an achilles injury for a 300 pound man is not exactly easy to come back from.

Taking your grades one at a time:

1. Paye: Agree. He’s an A. Great pick.

2. Dayo: Disagree on the Incomplete though I understand your thinking.  I give it a C- because his recovery from the injury is an unknown and this a genuine risk I wish they hadn’t taken. The kid is definitely talented but will he be the same after he heals?? This is a giant roll of the dice.
3. Grandson. I give this a B-.  I like the info I’ve read about him but Friermuth was unexpectedly there for the taking at 54, and is going to be an top notch TE in this league IMO. Grandson will be a move/H back TE but not the complete player Friermuth is. The Colts may live to regret this decision. 
4. Davis. Give him a B-. Decent addition to the defensive backfield with lots of potential. And a little Bob Sanders in him. 
5. Ehlinger. I give it a B. I like the kid and they needed an inexpensive option at QB3. In the 6th round it was a smart move.

6. Strachan. I give this a B+. I think he’s the perfect type of risk to take in the 7th round. His measurables are off

The charts and even if he ends up moving to TE he could be quite the weapon in time. 
7. Fries. A solid B. They may have plucked a long term swing O lineman with a mid 7th rounder. Good value. He has some talent. 

Overall, because I believe the Colts took too big a risk with Dayo ( Hope I’m wrong, of course ), And missed on a LT (stunning really with the depth in this draft ), I give them a C+. If Dayo proves to be the player they hope he is, this grade will obviously be much better. Fingers crossed on that.

5 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Taking your grades one at a time:

1. Paye: Agree. He’s an A. Great pick.

2. Dayo: Disagree on the Incomplete though I understand your thinking.  I give it a C- because his recovery from the injury is an unknown and this a genuine risk I wish they hadn’t taken. The kid is definitely talented but will he be the same after he heals?? This is a giant roll of the dice.
3. Grandson. I give this a B-.  I like the info I’ve read about him but Friermuth was unexpectedly there for the taking at 54, and is going to be an top notch TE in this league IMO. Grandson will be a move/H back TE but not the complete player Friermuth is. The Colts may live to regret this decision. 
4. Davis. Give him a B-. Decent addition to the defensive backfield with lots of potential. And a little Bob Sanders in him. 
5. Ehlinger. I give it a B. I like the kid and they needed an inexpensive option at QB3. In the 6th round it was a smart move.

6. Strachan. I give this a B+. I think he’s the perfect type of risk to take in the 7th round. His measurables are off

The charts and even if he ends up moving to TE he could be quite the weapon in time. 
7. Fries. A solid B. They may have plucked a long term swing O lineman with a mid 7th rounder. Good value. He has some talent. 

Overall, because I believe the Colts took too big a risk with Dayo ( Hope I’m wrong, of course ), And missed on a LT (stunning really with the depth in this draft ), I give them a C+. If Dayo proves to be the player they hope he is, this grade will obviously be much better. Fingers crossed on that.

I can't give a grade for a player that's hurt. We don't know his value for the upcoming season.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Fair assessment I believe.  If I had to guess I would bet Dayo was the last player on their board with a 1st rd grade.  Hopefully he comes through for us.  I think they gambled one of the tackles they wanted would drop and they lost.  I love the Paye and Granson picks.  

I don't know if thats the case. The colts literally ran the pick in for Dayo

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Because he was the last one with a 1st rd grade IMO.  No need to decide on one player over another with the same grade.  He was the pick.

Or the colts really wanted him. Colts even said they would have taken him in the first if he wasn't hurt.

1. Paye(A) He’s an A. Great pick. To be honest I would have preferred the VT OT, but can't argue this one.

2. Dayo: (C-) He MIGHT turn out fine, but we already have his type (Lewis) that has his own injury history. Great WR's still on the board, great CB and OT's still on the board.
3. Grandson. (D). There were much better TE's available if we were going there. Jordon from Miami comes to mind. This guy isn't just undersized, he has average speed and stone hands.. Dan Moore Jr. OL, TXAM was the pick right after him, he's going to be good.
4. Davis. (D)- This was a reach, he could have been gotten in the 6th. Simi Fehoko- WR Stanford could have been a position of need pick
5. Ehlinger. (F)-Why pick him when we have a young gun we just picked last year? Are we really going to keep 3 QB's on the active roster? Nope, we're not..

6. Strachan. (A)           Both of these last two are good quality for the position they were picked in.

7. Fries. (A)

Overall this is a D draft with 1 very good pick and the rest "wth"...

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Which means they had a 1st rd grade on him.

Not arguing that, but also keep in mind the pick before us was dillon radunz which I'm convinced the titans took just to spite us. They already have Ts. They didn't need him.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Not arguing that, but also keep in mind the pick before us was dillon radunz which I'm convinced the titans took just to spite us. They already have Ts. They didn't need him.

I think that’s exactly what the Titans did.  I think we were going to take him with our pick.  Once he was picked we ran up with our pick.  I think when the Titans moved in front of us Ballard new what was going to happen.  His luck ran out.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

I can't give a grade for a player that's hurt. We don't know his value for the upcoming season.

We can't not grade it either. We got 6 players from 7 picks - that's big detractor in my book.

We don't know when he comes back. We don't know realistically IF he'll come back at all. We don't know if he'll be the same player. We don't know if he's lost a step and even if he hadn't had this injury at all we don't even know if he'd been able to perform in the NFL. 

You don't realistically know if a player is ever a boom or bust, or somewhere in between, and then add an achillies injury, of all things, on top of that... I mean, he's just a HUGE questionmark.

I trust Ballard's judgement, but it feels like a bit of a reach.

Do we know of any good, great or elite players that has suffered an achillies injury and come back just as good or better than before? Genuinely asking, not trying to be a *.

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Wow. That would have blown the roof off the place! 

I think Darrisaw was the higher pick.   And I should have added he would’ve been under consideration had he NOT been hurt.  

A healthy Dayo would’ve been considered,  not an injured Dayo. 

Apologues, my bad.   Brain cramp. 

C+ is what I’d give it to. I can’t really think that  there will be many immediate contributors besides Paye, or future contributors for that matter. Most of the guys are practice squad candidates. Dayo is a huge question Mark because an Achilles isn’t an easy injury to come back for.

I know we have to wait and see, but not sure this draft will yield too many future assets. I stand to be corrected though.

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

C+ is what I’d give it to. I can’t really think that  there will be many immediate contributors besides Paye, or future contributors for that matter. Most of the guys are practice squad candidates. Dayo is a huge question Mark because an Achilles isn’t an easy injury to come back for.

I know we have to wait and see, but not sure this draft will yield too many future assets. I stand to be corrected though.

I think C+ is quite fair.

Kwity is a bit of Diamond in the rough.  A high floor, but super high ceiling player

I absolutely love Dayo, same as Kwity.  High floor and ceiling.   But he’s a 2021 question mark until he’s not — whenever that is. 

You can call Wentz this years third round pick. 

The TE feels one round too soon as does the safety.   So it feels to me like there’s a player missing who should’ve been our 4th round pick.  That said, Ballard and Frank clearly would rather have these two players than gamble they’d be available one round later. 

The QB seems better than I thought, but I disagree on taking him.   If Eason isn’t ready to be the backup, then surely the rookie is too.  If Eason isn’t the guy, we will try to acquire a veteran backup around September 1st. 

Personally,  I love the big WR and would not be surprised if someday he turns into a really good player. 

The late OL, Fries is bound for the PS.  

We are ridiculously deep on the OL.   Tevi, Davenport, Holden, Reed, Pinter and Hunt.   That’s six quality backups as I still anticipate signing a veteran LT. 

12 hours ago, CR91 said:

that constant pass rush we've missed for a long time.

Kylen Granson TE

I'm not sure if this takes us out of getting Ertz though.

Shawn Davis S

Pr I'm suggesting moving him to TE.

You're forgetting Mathis and Freeney.
You want 5 TEs on roster?

54 minutes ago, craigerb said:

You're forgetting Mathis and Freeney.
You want 5 TEs on roster?

Freeney and Mathis haven't played for the colts since 2014. That's 7 years ago.

Only TEs we have are Doyle and MAC

18 hours ago, CR91 said:

Kwity Paye Edge

Grade - A

Dayo Odeyingbo Edge

Grade - incomplete

Kylen Granson TE

Grade - B

Shawn Davis S

Grade - D

Sam Ehlinger QB

Grade - C

Michael Strachan WR

Grade - C +

Will Fries OL

Grade - C

Kwity Paye Edge

Grade: A

Dayo Odeyingbo Edge

Grade: B

Kylen Granson TE

Grade: D

Shawn Davis S

Grade: C

Sam Ehlinger QB

Grade D

Michael Strachan WR

Grade B