Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Forum Draft Grade

el duderino

Forum Draft Grade  

113 members have voted

1. 1. How would you grade our 2021 Draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • E
    • F

I think if we took the big OT from VT with the first pick it would have been so much better. Still have no idea why we would take a QB in this draft at all, or an undersized TE with questionable hands when there was many more talented ones still available.

C

IMO, Needed a good tackle, especially out of this good oline class. Also would have been happy with another linebacker to take Walkers spot.

Im happy with pick #1 Paye, and I think Ballard planned on taking a LT (with #2) but he didn’t want to trade up and they got snatched up before his 2nd pick.

Im really surprised about the 2nd pick. HUGE health risk. IMO Colts could have used someone who would have contributed this year. We will see.

Pick 3 is Wentz.... Boy I hope this works out for the Colts.

Pick 4.) Colts needed a TE and he seems like a playmaker.

Dont know much about any of the other picks. Was surprised they grabbed another safety. Excited about the WR. Seems very raw. Colts love them some big WRs. Tackle they drafted will be interesting to watch but not expecting much. QB is another camp body to push Eason.

Although it’s not an option, my grade would be incomplete; They’ve strengthened their Dline, they like the TE/fullback and added a piece to their secondary. 
   The big question on most fans’ minds still remains:  why not a LT early? But there are still options; FA, existing tackles on the squad that may be the answer, if only for a year. I have full confidence in Ballard to find an answer. Time will tell.

Paye alone can make it a B for me in the future, if he takes that next step. And this is regardless of what happens with the rest.

But right now, I am saying C. But obviously subject to change, based on Paye and the Dayo gamble. I don’t have huge expectations for the rest...though they should have roles at some point. 

This is sort of what it looks like when you don’t have extra Day 2 picks and like 9-10 picks overall to work with. 

Judging draft years is almost always contingent upon draft capital. 

59 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

I think if we took the big OT from VT with the first pick it would have been so much better. Still have no idea why we would take a QB in this draft at all, or an undersized TE with questionable hands when there was many more talented ones still available.

It’s interesting. People will say Ballard only drafts BPA...and there wasn’t a LT worth picking.

However, the first (4) picks of this draft specifically replaced (4) outgoing players and filled those needs.

They drafted one ER, one DE/DT versatile, one move TE and a 3rd S. 

In FA, they lost each of those things. 

So it would stand to reason that need was a factor in this draft.

C- 

We had quite a few head scratchers. I have came to except Ballard's unpredictable approach to the draft. However, taking 3 players with injury history or concerns. 3 or 4 of them being that gamble/potential, high ceiling/low floor type of picks. And, not coming out of the draft with a potential starting LT, CB or TE is concerning. 

With that said, even though I do have concerns I still trust Ballard and his staff so I will just "wait and see".

52 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

C

IMO, Needed a good tackle, especially out of this good oline class. Also would have been happy with another linebacker to take Walkers spot.

yu knw okereke took over for walker right 

7 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

yu knw okereke took over for walker right 

Yes I understand that. However what percentage do the Colts run 3LB’s? I honestly don’t know.

Also Okereke and Leonard have both missed some time. Walker was able to stay on the field. Colts aren’t getting another 100+ tackle guy to be a backup. I understand Walker wasn’t great in coverage but they sure don’t have anyone else near his talent as a backup.

Solid B.  This DL is going to turn into our strength soon, even with the great OL we have. Combined with Lewis and Turray this could be a killer rotation.   There wasn’t a single position group that couldn’t of used an upgrade. Besides Paye and Fries I had never heard of any of these guys. Going to take a wait and see approach and judge by how many starters come from

this class 2-3 years from now. 

B

Ballard potentially landed the Colts long term franchise QB and invested heavily on fixing the pass rush. I would have added a corner, but Tell is back, along with the acquisition of Davis. Not a bad off season IMO. 

I will give the draft a B.

I really like our first 2 picks. Our DL has every opportunity to be one the the best units in the NFL.

Granson I think was a really solid pick, I see him doing good things. His athletic ability is off the charts.

Davis, I am a little on the fence about, but I am sure he will be fine and after all he is a 5th round pick. Expectations are not very high.

I like the the QB pick, Sam is a tough competitor and I think he will create good competition with Eason. IMO, this was the perfect opportunity to get a 3rd QB. You wouldn't want to draft one any higher, and a veteran wouldn't allow for a proper evaluation of Eason for a 2nd season in a row. Have to find out what we have in him.

WR has a lot of potential, great size and athleticism. Not expecting very much out of him for a year or 2.

Versatile OL with last pick, what more could you ask for.

Can't forget about Carson Wentz being included in the equation. If he comes in and is our QB for next 6-7+ years, it will turn the draft to an A, on acquiring a franchise QB with a 3rd and conditional pick next year.

At the end of the day, we came in with a late 1st, late 2nd, no 3rd, late 4th-7th. To be able to get the 2 Edge players we did was pretty impressive. 

As far as a grade for the forum. D- at best, might of failed if I actually delve a little deeper in the individual player threads. Pathetic reactions, expected, but worse than usual. Bunch of posters that think they know more than our front office. Spoiler....you don't. 

Like Ballard said, they are not to worried about what outside opinions are. They like what they did.

1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

C

Im happy with pick #1 Paye, and I think Ballard planned on taking a LT (with #2) but he didn’t want to trade up and they got snatched up before his 2nd pick.

Im really surprised about the 2nd pick. HUGE health risk. IMO Colts could have used someone who would have contributed this year. We will see.

Pick 3 is Wentz.... Boy I hope this works out for the Colts.

Pick 4.) Colts needed a TE and he seems like a playmaker.

Dont know much about any of the other picks. Was surprised they grabbed another safety. Excited about the WR. Seems very raw. Colts love them some big WRs. Tackle they drafted will be interesting to watch but not expecting much. QB is another camp body to push Eason.

They do love them some big wr's, now, can they get them on the field and produce at a high level. Pittman had the leg thingy last year so stats arent great but other than him near nothing. Its wait and see time.

I understand Ballard’s assertion that Paye was their highest rated player on board, but retrospectively, given the 2nd round run on OTs and the Colts’ selection of Dayo Odeyingbo in the 2nd, I can’t help but think the “team” would be more well rounded if they had instead taken Darrisaw at OT in the first.  That way, 2 needs seemingly filled, most importantly LT, rather than having doubled down on the DL, to the detriment of the OL.

Of course, perhaps it will be that both Paye & Dayo will become super effective stud game changers on the DL and Ballard will have somehow more than adequately solved the LT hole.  I guess only time will tell.  At this point though, I feel like the team maybe missed out on a more well rounded team building opportunity in passing on Darrisaw.

Regardless, I remain hopeful for the best, that Ballard nailed this.

As for the QB pick, although I was surprised, I am onboard, as he sounds athletically tough and like a super high character leader type. I think perfect as a number 3 QB ... a need that I think most teams will have to carry on the active roster.

Oh, my grade ... an optimistic B.  Go Colts!

2 hours ago, el duderino said:

Let´s give out initial grades for our 2021 Draft

I give it an A minus. We were able to fill MOST of our holes and do so by going BPA, at least in the first two rounds. Paye is gonna be a stud for us I think. He was projected 10-18 in most mocks. He’s a solid 4 year starter, not a one year wonder with a gob of sacks on a great DL. He’s versatile if we need him to be. It if we leave him on edge, especially next to Buckner, he gonna do great things.

our 2nd rounder, I’m not even gonna try to spell his name, was projected to be top 15 to top 20 first rounder before his late injury in the senior bowl. Even if he has to sit a year, I think it could be the steal of the draft. He’s also Mathis’ favorite DE in this draft though some of that may be due to their relationship. Either way, it can’t hurt.

after that, I like the TE pick, he does have some swagger to him and his stock is hurt from really a single bad game where he dropped the ball a ton. 

the rest of the pics are camp fodder to me, they may make the team they may not. 

I was hoping for a trade up in the high 2nd for a OT, even if that meant putting the rookie on the right side and sliding Brayden to LT. 

but ultimately, this season will be defined by the play of Wentz. 

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

Although it’s not an option, my grade would be incomplete;

Yes, if you sign Fisher and get 2-3 years out of him in the ballpark of Castonzo, things look different. 

We should also factor Wentz into these drafts.  If Wentz settles in as a top 10, franchise QB, the 2021 and 2022 drafts would be successes on that fact alone.  If you get a top 10 QB out of a, hopefully, low 1st and low 3rd, it's a success.

8 minutes ago, #12. said:

Yes, if you sign Fisher and get 2-3 years out of him in the ballpark of Castonzo, things look different. 

We should also factor Wentz into these drafts.  If Wentz settles in as a top 10, franchise QB, the 2021 and 2022 drafts would be successes on that fact alone.  If you get a top 10 QB out of a hopefully low 1st and low 3rd, it's a success.

The problem on Fisher, as I understand it, is that he won’t be good to go until mid season at the earliest.  Almost like he’d be a signing for 2022.  Maybe I’m wrong or what I’ve heard is wrong, I mean, if not for his injury, I’d be all for signing Fisher.

Id probably have said incomplete given the injury issues with the 2nd round pick.  He and Paye will likely be the guys that determine if this draft is an A or an F.

That said, I dont think TODAY you can grade it very high right now when they have a 2nd round pick that might not play this year and a 6th round pick that was used on a guy who's likely QB3 in 2021.

I'm at a C.

Loved the Paye pick. Chance to get the #1 rated pass rusher with character that screams horseshoe. Was a top need. That said, there's legitimate questions about his production.

Dayo was a big surprise. Was apparently on his way to being a big draft riser before the injury. I can get behind the player, but it feels like we bought too high. Ballard said he thinks teams coming up were interested, but I'm not sure. I think next year this will feel like a free draft pick, but it's not really fair to expect anything from him this year... which hurts in my opinion.

Grandson is exactly what I think Reich was looking for. He seems small to me, but outside of that I'm ok with it. The drops don't worry me as much. I think he could be very involved from Week 1. Will still need a Doyle replacement in the next year or so.

Shawn Davis is another safety. We like to collect those, lol. Should be able to get on the field in the 3 safety looks. Special teams. 5th round I'm good with that.

Sam Ehlinger was a total shock to me. Sounds like this might have been another horseshoe character guy that we just wanted to get in the locker room. Good college production, before this last season (or 2?) there was talk of him being in the first 2 tiers of QBs if he developed. That didn't happen so he fell. I expect him to look good (and mobile) in preseason and we'll have ourselves another Brissett/Kelly fiasco between Eason/Ehlinger. Fun times ahead. Hopeful he never has to suit up unless he does win the backup.

Strachan isn't a name I'd seen before. In the 7th round, I'm 100% on board with grabbing someone with his HWS. Compete with Patmon for a potential roster spot, but I could see him hanging out on practice squad all year for that chance to develop. Nothing wrong with a lottery ticket in the final round. Like Ehlinger, can't really *expect* him to ever contribute though.

Fries was almost like a "here you go" from Ballard. OL depth is always welcome, and from a big program in the 7th you hope he's able to compete with what we have. I expect to sign an outside tackle that will kind of eliminate the availability of an open position, but again in the 7th I'm not critical on just throwing darts.

This class has very high potential (if those top 2 hit we'll be lethal on D)... But overall feels overly risky to me. Really stinks we weren't able to find a LT we were comfortable with, especially being very likely without a first next year. I'm giving it a very average C. Some needs addressed, some good players added, but so much risk of bust/wasted picks. I trust Ballard and the teams evals, so I'll be rooting hard for these guys.

Go Colts!

I went with a C. If LT is second most important spot on offense, imo it didnt get addressed enough. A few journey types and swiss army late pick. Sure Q was able to help our fill in last year but why put the extra pressure on him? Some have said that having 1st rders across the whole line would be too expensive or something like that. Not sure I catch the drift and I could be off base here, coffee hasnt quite kicked in lol.

Paye is a good player. Heard some excuses though about lack of production. Scheme (never heard of Don Brown not utilizing his best players, but maybe a bit outdated), of course the pandemic schedule and the fact UM was terrible.

Second pick seems like a measurables type player with really high upside that mught not see the field for a bit. We have a lot of these. Only time will tell.

Is Burton still on the team? If not could be a really good replacement.

Ehlinger is a football player. We now have a couple really solid qbs. 

The rest are depth, camp, ps bodies.

Black will keep our undrafted streak going or started again lol.

50 minutes ago, MPStack said:

B

Ballard potentially landed the Colts long term franchise QB and invested heavily on fixing the pass rush. I would have added a corner, but Tell is back, along with the acquisition of Davis. Not a bad off season IMO. 

Yes but who will be protecting the franchise at LT?

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I’m sure we shall find out soon enough. I’m grading only on the players picked, not the could have, should have, wished we would have players. 

4 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Whoever it is will be fine.

They will be joining a great line already and make their job easier. Also Wentz isn't a statue back there like Rivers, so that will help in itself.

This notion a drafted guy was going to come in and be a sure thing is overblown. Maybe, maybe not. As Ballard said if you're not sure you don't take them that high. He wasn't sure, so he didn't.

As of one day after the draft, here's mine (all subject to change tomorrow and beyond). 

Overall:  B (one of the lowest grades of Ballard's tenure for me)

Paye:  B........Nice player, great person, but given the alternatives of Darrisaw or a trade down, Paye would have been my third choice here

Dayo:  B+....I liked him early in the process, then forgot about him after the injury.  Great fit and a high floor, IMO, but the injury keeps this from being and A.  But, I'd rather take a guy who is complete but needs recovery time, than an athlete who is a project.  See Blackmon vs. Lewis, Turay, and Benagu.

Gransen:  B.....Fills a need.  Looks athletic.  At only 6'1", might lose some battles with LBs and SSs.  Hope he has consistent hands.

Davis:   A....My favorite pick.  Sounds like a single high safety for our zone scheme, and surely a target of Ballard's.  Round 5 is a good value.  From draftnetwork:   Shawn Davis is a rangy, scheme-versatile safety that’s shown to have value as both a single- and two-high safety. Although he’s shown the capability of being a true single-high type of safety, he wasn't allowed to play much of it in 2019. A quick-twitched option that covers a lot of ground during ball pursuit, he can flat-out run when given free paths to the ball. Prior to his sophomore year, Davis spent a lot of time on special teams, which will expand his draft stock because of the multitude of areas that he possibly could come in and provide value. A fluid mover, Davis’ smarts and awareness show up often no matter the coverage at hand. 

Ehlinger:  B....4 year starter with leadership, toughness, and High football IQ.  Might be a role model for Eason in those aspects.  At only 6'1.5, he's going to struggle to be thought of as a developmental player or much of a backup, but the rosters are expanding to 57.  He's athletic and could learn to be used in gadget roles.

Strachan:  A......Tall and athletic. Pure developmental.  A grades this low have little weighting towards the overall grade.

Fries: A.....Nice swing G/T.  At LT, played well against some of the bigger named edges in the Big 10

25 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I give it an A minus. We were able to fill MOST of our holes and do so by going BPA, at least in the first two rounds. Paye is gonna be a stud for us I think. He was projected 10-18 in most mocks. He’s a solid 4 year starter, not a one year wonder with a gob of sacks on a great DL. He’s versatile if we need him to be. It if we leave him on edge, especially next to Buckner, he gonna do great things.

our 2nd rounder, I’m not even gonna try to spell his name, was projected to be top 15 to top 20 first rounder before his late injury in the senior bowl. Even if he has to sit a year, I think it could be the steal of the draft. He’s also Mathis’ favorite DE in this draft though some of that may be due to their relationship. Either way, it can’t hurt.

after that, I like the TE pick, he does have some swagger to him and his stock is hurt from really a single bad game where he dropped the ball a ton. 

the rest of the pics are camp fodder to me, they may make the team they may not. 

I was hoping for a trade up in the high 2nd for a OT, even if that meant putting the rookie on the right side and sliding Brayden to LT. 

but ultimately, this season will be defined by the play of Wentz. 

I wasnt aware Paye was a 4 year starter. Thought he was behind Gary and Malinovich. I do like Paye though.

16 minutes ago, w87r said:

Whoever it is will be fine.

They will be joining a great line already and make their job easier. Also Wentz isn't a statue back there like Rivers, so that will help in itself.

This notion a drafted guy was going to come in and be a sure thing is overblown. Maybe, maybe not. As Ballard said if you're not sure you don't take them that high. He wasn't sure, so he didn't.

The proto LTs were gone early.  Leatherwood, Darrisaw, Little (who you could say fell because of injury and rust).

Eich and Jenkins were taken in early second round, which is where RTs are typically taken (Braded Smith), and their respective clubs expect them to play RT.

The other guys needed work.

This was not a real deep LT class. Deeper than most, but pick 54 was always likely to be too low.

My grade is B for the draft mainly because of the roles I see the first 2 players failing. If Lewis and Banogu are gone, Dayo and Paye are supposed to replace them at a high level, which I’m optimistic they will do. Plus to step back and realize the 3rd pick was part of acquiring a franchise QB, that can’t be overlooked.

If we get 2 starters from this draft, I’d be happy. The success of the team however might not ride exclusively on this draft because I feel Ballard will keep tweaking the roster till opening day.

Taking the totality of what all the draft picks’ perceived impact is supposed to be, a B is appropriate if you throw in the QB (I think that’s being overlooked considerably). If we’d gotten Darrisaw in Round 1, I’d have given it an A. Even if we traded up for an OT in Round 2, an A as well.

21 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

The problem on Fisher, as I understand it, is that he won’t be good to go until mid season at the earliest.  Almost like he’d be a signing for 2022.  Maybe I’m wrong or what I’ve heard is wrong, I mean, if not for his injury, I’d be all for signing Fisher.

Could be earlier.  Last report I saw said August.  I'm thinking you would perhaps get 12 games out of 17.  Something like that.  And he is only 30.  It's not unreasonable to think you could get 2 & 3/4 seasons out of him.  

I’ll give it a C. Paye was a great pick and has the potential to be an elite edge. Still, Darrisaw LT was rated higher and was elite in college against great competition. Sam Tevi is a backup journeyman. The LT position is far more valuable than an edge

and we don’t have one. 

The Doya pick is the reason why I’m giving this draft a C . Not every player that has an Achilles injury returns the same. It was a huge gamble to draft a guy that early in the draft with good players left on the board. Given what we know now this is who I would have drafted. 

Rd 1. Christian Darrisaw, LT, 6’5 320 lbs, Virginia Tech 

Rd 2. Pat Freiermuth, TE,  6’5 260 lbs, Penn State 

Rd 4.  Janarius Robinson, DE, 6’5 260 lbs, Florida State.

Rd 5. Keith Taylor, CB, 6’2 190 lbs, Washington 

Rd 6. Seth Williams, WR, 6’3 210 lbs, Auburn

Rd 7.  Larnel Coleman, RT, 6’6 310 lbs, Umass

I would rate it an A if we would have traded our 7th and 6th to move up a few spots and get Cosmi in the 2nd. I love Paye, but I don’t know how you don’t draft your biggest need of LT in what is supposed to be the best tackle draft ever.

The more Tevi film I watch, I'm not sure how much I even like him as a backup RT.  

At a certain point, I could warm up to the Nelson moving option.  Move Nelson temporarily and play Pinter until Fisher is ready.

10 minutes ago, #12. said:

The more Tevi film I watch, I'm not sure how much I even like him as a backup RT.  

At a certain point, I could warm up to the Nelson moving option.

Q is the best player at his postion. Why mess with it? Having to scheme TE or interior line help should not be our way of thinking imo. Just takes an element away. Every player every down has an assignment. Our LT HAS to be able to hold his own at some pt. Would guess 90% or more of fans, talking heads etc would have put a high need here. It was adreesed i suppose. 

I gave it a C. Missed opportunities to solidify the LT position. The players that were chosen seem to all be boom or bust and hardly any in-between room. Paye has a high floor as a run stopper, has the intangibles for a pass rush, but has to develop that part of his game. Dayo could be a great pick up if he maintains his explosiveness. The problem for those two is they both seem better at the left DE spot.

Archived