Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouts, Ballard, Irsay interviews

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

As these get posted on YouTube I will add them to this thread. I will leave this here until they are posted.

I’ll say this if both ends pan out the way the Colts hope their d-line is going to be nasty in a year or two.  In a division where you are going to have play Lawerence, Henry and Tannelhill and maybe Watson twice a year that’s very important.  

I would argue that he has seen that, 2018 with Turay and Lewis in back to back picks, but I'm assuming he means 1st then 2nd round picks.

It is a tremendous advantage that the Colts have that Jim was GM for an extended period of time. Ballard has even commented that Jim intuitively grasps things that Ballard doesn't have to explain in detail like he would with another owner who came from a different background. An even greater advantage, he didn't go full Jerry Jones and reinstate himself as GM when he became owner. 

Just now, ColtV said:

I would argue that he has seen that, 2018 with Turay and Lewis in back to back picks, but I'm assuming he means 1st then 2nd round picks.

It is a tremendous advantage that the Colts have that Jim was GM for an extended period of time. Ballard has even commented that Jim intuitively grasps things that Ballard doesn't have to explain in detail like he would with another owner who came from a different background. An even greater advantage, he didn't go full Jerry Jones and reinstate himself as GM when he became owner. 

Jim has said he tried convince his dad to hire a GM for years when Jim was the GM because he knew he wasn’t good at it but his dad wanted Jim to do it because Jim was cheaper.  It took a combination of the Jeff George trade and the 1991 draft debacle and his dad’s failing health and Jim having to assume more owner responsibilities to finally get his dad to sign off on highering a GM.    

5 minutes ago, ColtV said:

He wasn’t specifically talking back to back guys. He is talking about the talent level he got with these two. Colts got two 1st round DE. Both who they coveted. The talent of these two is off the charts.

56 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’ll say this if both ends pan out the way the Colts hope their d-line is going to be nasty in a year or two.  In a division where you are going to have play Lawerence, Henry and Tannelhill and maybe Watson twice a year that’s very important.  

Hey!   That’s enough if you using logic and common sense on a fans Internet message board!    What’s the matter with you?!?   During a draft,  logic and common sense go straight out the window!    We can’t have that around here!

1 hour ago, ColtV said:

i think he means he has never taken prospects this good back to back before .   both these guys are rated higher than turray and lewis .  Irsay believes these are two top ten first round talent which turray and lewis were not .

9 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

If this draft class pans out, our defense will be one heck of a terror in the AFC. I think for this year, we’ll see some decent flashes from Paye. 

Still some work to do as always. 

Yeah, Paye and Dayo have the potential to elevate this defense to the next level and make everyone else on defense better.

After seeing Antonie Bethea announce the pick yesterday I decided to watch some of his highlights. There were a couple of times that he made the play but the commentators were talking about Freeney or Mathis forcing the QB to get rid of it early. I'm hoping that Paye/Dayo can have that type of impact.

Kevin Rogers - Director Of Player Personnel

I think the Colts held this interview with the Colts specific blog type of websites and not the traditional media. I like that they did that and gave these guys some access.

Posted this another thread as well prior to seeing this one.

Listened to Irsay's post draft comments.  A few things stood out:

- Just raving about the edge rushers we drafted.  

- LT - get the impression that we will bringing someone else in.  I'm hoping it is Fisher.

- In 4th & 5th rounds, Colts were interested in taking OT but teams jumped in front of them.  Just looking at the draft order, I'm guessing those guys were OT James Hudson in the 4th and OT Tommy Doyle in the 5th.

Also is it just me or did Ballard & Reich not seem nearly as excited as they were after last year's draft?

1 minute ago, bertjones7 said:

Posted this another thread as well prior to seeing this one.

Listened to Irsay's post draft comments.  A few things stood out:

- Just raving about the edge rushers we drafted.  

- LT - get the impression that we will bringing someone else in.  I'm hoping it is Fisher.

- In 4th & 5th rounds, Colts were interested in taking OT but teams jumped in front of them.  Just looking at the draft order, I'm guessing those guys were OT James Hudson in the 4th and OT Tommy Doyle in the 5th.

Also is it just me or did Ballard & Reich not seem nearly as excited as they were after last year's draft?

I don’t know they put over the ends pretty hard.

13 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Jim has said he tried convince his dad to hire a GM for years when Jim was the GM because he knew he wasn’t good at it but his dad wanted Jim to do it because Jim was cheaper.  It took a combination of the Jeff George trade and the 1991 draft debacle and his dad’s failing health and Jim having to assume more owner responsibilities to finally get his dad to sign off on highering a GM.    

I think this is some revisionist history. Jim plays up this 50 years experience, but from 72-84 he was basically a ball boy, or owners son. It sounds like his dad being cheap, but he couldn’t convince him for 13 years, 84-97, to hire a decent GM ? I find it hard to believe he didn’t want, or felt he could do the job. I look at his tenure as GM to tell me he wasn’t the best evaluator of talent. 
Since 1997, its fair to say he’s been a pretty darn good owner. I give him full credit for hiring Polian and Ballard, and having a great track record over the years, plus the one Super bowl win. 
From what I’ve seen , Ballard seems to be the real deal as GM. I certainly like the Paye pick, and based on previous drafts, I would trust his eye for talent. In my opinion , Irsay’s evaluations based on the past track record, are more of those of a fan, so I put less stock in his synopsis on the draft. I’m sure he has some input , but at least he has the sense to stay out of the GM’s way for the most part, unlike his dad, or a Jerry Jones. 

6 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

I think this is some revisionist history. Jim plays up this 50 years experience, but from 72-84 he was basically a ball boy, or owners son. It sounds like his dad being cheap, but he couldn’t convince him for 13 years, 84-97, to hire a decent GM ? I find it hard to believe he didn’t want, or felt he could do the job. I look at his tenure as GM to tell me he wasn’t the best evaluator of talent. 
Since 1997, its fair to say he’s been a pretty darn good owner. I give him full credit for hiring Polian and Ballard, and having a great track record over the years, plus the one Super bowl win. 
From what I’ve seen , Ballard seems to be the real deal as GM. I certainly like the Paye pick, and based on previous drafts, I would trust his eye for talent. In my opinion , Irsay’s evaluations based on the past track record, are more of those of a fan, so I put less stock in his synopsis on the draft. I’m sure he has some input , but at least he has the sense to stay out of the GM’s way for the most part, unlike his dad, or a Jerry Jones. 

I have a feeling having to take on more ownership responsibilities with his dad’s health failing played a large role but that’s the story that’s been repeated several times by several people of you don’t believe it that’s fine.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I have a feeling having to take on more ownership responsibilities with his dad’s health failing played a large role but that’s the story that’s been repeated several times by several people of you don’t believe it that’s fine.

I’m sure there was also  some heavy estate planning going on at the time, especially 95-97. 

Well all these interviews are just PR. Not much you can take away from them beside that every pick seems to be a homerun, thats what they always say. Every * season. You won't hear a GM or team owner admitting "Oh we totaly screwed up this pick and panicked on that pick and we just take a gamble with that one.... " And it's always the best team they ever had blablabla. 

Archived