Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts UDFA signings

CR91

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't see the two being similar at all to be honest. 

Jackson is more of a power back, Mack is zone rhythm guy. Mack has more swivel. 

Jackson has a lot more speed, but less burst through the OL.

Jackson has poor hands (on the catch) and ball security issues. Mack doesn't get thrown the ball that much, but rarely fumbles.

I didnt see anything that told me he was a power back when i watched. And again Mack wasnt that good of a zone runner when he entered the league. His game has improved. And i dont think Jacksons hands are poor.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, krunk said:

I dont think Mack was as good running zone coming into the league. Its something hes made great improvements on.

I agree he had to learn, but IMO he was better year one (had more patience) than Taylor. Taylor had a better OL in year one, so I think overall, it was easier for him to look good.

37 minutes ago, krunk said:

I didnt see anything that told me he was a power back when i watched. And again Mack wasnt that good of a zone runner when he entered the league. His game has improved. And i dont think Jacksons hands are poor.

The dig on Mack was that he bounced too much in his draft year. But IMO he had good vision and wiggle early. Jackson is already billed as a zone runner but more power than wiggle.

Check out Jackson's NFL.com profile. Here are some bullets from the write up that I associate with power.

• Decisive and strong running through arm tackles.
    • Above-average balance through collisions.
    • Plays with downhill rhythm to stack his moves.
    • Can get low and stay low near the goal line.

Here are some bullets associates with his hands

• Poor ball security, allowing ball to drift away from his body.
    • Needs the ball thrown right to him in passing game.
    • Below-average hands as pass catcher.

29 minutes ago, Douzer said:

Tyler Vaughns

Body control, hands, awareness. I can see why they're bringing him in...

That’s impressive. He doesn’t have great timed speed but he’s elusive and has a second gear when he needs it. And a heckuva pair of hands. 

1 hour ago, Douzer said:

Tyler Vaughns

Body control, hands, awareness. I can see why they're bringing him in...

He may have tested at 4.69 or even 4.62 but his game speed is MUCH faster. He has great hands and runs pretty crisp routes - did see a few he rounded off at the too but otherwise I like him. He makes Dulins route running look atrocious, that's for sure!

Vaughns may just a good solid WR/Football player.  6-1 height is sufficient.  A little on the light side for his Ht at 185-190 lbs, but not anymore slight than Marvin Harrison or TY Hilton.  Now I'm not saying he is the same status as those great Colt WR, just a build comparison, but they are both faster.  They say Vaughns did not have a good 40 time at the USC Pro-Day, 4.6+, slow for a slight WR but thought I seen he had run a 4.5 in the past.  Still he was very productive and consistent at USC, kind of don't measure him, just play him and throw to him, he makes plays.  Competing for the #5 or 6 WR spot, maybe a  practice squad spot.

15 minutes ago, krunk said:

Wonder if it was the ankle or something unrelated. He'd be worth a PS spot, but not sure how that works with an already injured, or failed physical player.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Wonder if it was the ankle or something unrelated. He'd be worth a PS spot, but not sure how that works with an already injured, or failed physical player.

Remember that WR(forgot his name) we picked up from the Ravens when Luck was here? He signed with Baltimore and then they cut him due to a failed physical. After that we picked him up. The situation with Williams may or may not be similar. I too say why not if we can? Obviously we have this new liking for signing injured players. Lol

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Remember that WR(forgot his name) we picked up from the Ravens when Luck was here? He signed with Baltimore and then they cut him due to a failed physical. After that we picked him up. The situation with Williams may or may not be similar. I too say why not if we can? Obviously we have this new liking for signing injured players. Lol

That was Grant. 

Grant passed our physical, and was more or less a UFA at the time. 

I just wonder how UDFAs are treated. I assume you can sign someone even if they fail, but not sure. If so, I'd be willing to sign him for low dollars and let him rehab.

Archived