Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wilkins has serious competition for the 4th RB on the roster IMO.

29 minutes ago, CR91 said:

wonder why he chose the colts i know we have a good o line and like to run the ball but our running back room is so stacked with marlon mack taylor  hines and wilkins  he might not even make the team

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, James said:

Makes sense getting LBs.

There should be a spot there after Walker left. 

And with Leonard and Bobby O already here and the third LB being probably the least important position in their defense it’s not impossible one of them could land that gig.

17 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

wonder why he chose the colts i know we have a good o line and like to run the ball but our running back room is so stacked with marlon mack taylor  hines and wilkins  he might not even make the team

Could be playing a longer game, knowing that 3 of those 4 are free agents next year. Staying a year on the practice squad could have its upside. 

• Like 2
Just now, ColtV said:

Could be playing a longer game, knowing that 3 of those 4 are free agents next year. Staying a year on the practice squad could have its upside. 

true but he could be picked off by another team which would suck

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

true but he could be picked off by another team which would suck

Suck for the Colts, not necessarily him!

If forced to make a prediction, I think Mack and Wilkins walk next year, Hynes gets the extension. Still gives him an option to make the roster in 2022. But to your original point, I agree, he would have to have a tremendous showing to make the team. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Was surprised he didn't get drafted. I could see him make the roster and keep the streak alive. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, wig said:

Was surprised he didn't get drafted. I could see him make the roster and keep the streak alive. 

Going to be hard to do.  They pretty much have four locks at WR already.  Then you have Patmon and the kid they just drafted.  Given the fact their return men are a CB and a RB that’s not really room for a 7th.  

• Like 1

CB bringing in some talented WR's thru the draft and udfa period so far.......Vaughns is 3rd all-time receiver at USC, Black (9.55 RAS) is a Size/Speed combo guy with solid tape and the draftee from Charleston (Strachan 9.77 RAS) is a beast as well with both having 9+ RAS scores! There will be some comp in that WR room this year for sure!

Deon Jackson split carries at Duke with some good NFL backs so he may not have a lot of wear and tear (much like Wilkins) but 6'0" and 220 with a reported 4.42 40 (and an unnofficial 4.32 somewhere) and his RAS is 8.71. His number are virtually identical to Himes even though he's a bigger back. Practice squad likely until next year when Wilkins and Mack leave via FA.

BTW - the Colts now sit at exactly 90 players (counting the rookie class and "reported" udfa class).

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Going to be hard to do.  They pretty much have four locks at WR already.  Then you have Patmon and the kid they just drafted.  Given the fact their return men are a CB and a RB that’s not really room for a 7th.  

plus harris who showed flashes last year the colts held on to him once he was brought up and did not let him hit the practice squad again

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

CB bringing in some talented WR's thru the draft and udfa period so far.......Vaughns is 3rd all-time receiver at USC, Black (9.55 RAS) is a Size/Speed combo guy with solid tape and the draftee from Charleston (Strachan 9.77 RAS) is a beast as well with both having 9+ RAS scores! There will be some comp in that WR room this year for sure!

Deon Jackson split carries at Duke with some good NFL backs so he may not have a lot of wear and tear (much like Wilkins) but 6'0" and 220 with a reported 4.42 40 (and an unnofficial 4.32 somewhere) and his RAS is 8.71. His number are virtually identical to Himes even though he's a bigger back. Practice squad likely until next year when Wilkins and Mack leave via FA.

BTW - the Colts now sit at exactly 90 players (counting the rookie class and "reported" udfa class).

Tarik Black is really talented in my opinion. Until im proven wrong as of right now i like him more than Strachan. Weve got a crowd at the position right now but you never know how things go when the injuries pop up. I hope he makes it.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Vaughn seems to be pretty talented as well. Honestly i think Black and Vaughn are both better than Strachan. My opinion could change of course when the bullets start flying.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, krunk said:

Vaughn seems to be pretty talented as well. Honestly i think Black and Vaughn are both better than Strachan. My opinion could change of course when the bullets start flying.

I agree Vaughn is a beast

Surprised we have so little action on UDFA market so far, but I do like what we have brought in so far, especially Black and Vaughn.

Couple LBs to compete for a spot.

• Like 1

Tarik Black was the 116th ranked player (247) in the country coming into Michigan, and Vaughns was basically a 5* at 30th overall (also 247), so these guys have high end pedigree. I'm really surprised that neither was drafted, and 100% think these guys are better than Strachan. If I had to bet, I'm picking both of these guys to stick in some form of fashion over Strachan. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Tarik Black was the 116th ranked player (247) in the country coming into Michigan, and Vaughns was basically a 5* at 30th overall (also 247), so these guys have high end pedigree. I'm really surprised that neither was drafted, and 100% think these guys are better than Strachan. If I had to bet, I'm picking both of these guys to stick in some form of fashion over Strachan. 

I’ll take that bet. I like the Strachan pick. The kid has off the charts measurables  and is a BIG dude with serious speed. I think he’s facing brutal competition to make the team, but at the top of the 7th round, he’s a great risk/reward choice. And if he ends up on the PS, he’d be a terrific stash for the future. 

16 hours ago, CR91 said:

This Deon Jackson when you turn on his film it doesnt take long before it starts to feel like youre watching an absolute Marlon Mack clone. Hes pretty good to be honest. He is really going to challenge somebody in my opinion. Hes definitely got Macks speed along with other things.

14 hours ago, CR91 said:

Vaughns is weird. He has OK production and he doesn't look like a total stiff on tape but he tested like one. I love his hands, very reliable , catches outside his frame very cleanly. That bonus might mean something. We usually give big bonuses to players we have plans for. He's definitely one to watch from the UDFAs.

17 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

This is a signing bonus bigger than anything I've seen the Colts give. And the Colts have been reliably giving the biggest signing bonuses to UDFA they really like and have plans for, not just get as camp bodies. IMO right now chances are Jackson actually makes the team considering his profile and this investment the Colts have already made in him.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PureLuck said:

He's listed at 6 foot 220 pounds. He doesn't look that big.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

He's listed at 6 foot 220 pounds. He doesn't look at big.

53 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

Wow. That’s a serious signing bonus. Not sure I’ve been seen one that big. I have to agree that he’s being seen as a keeper. Both Wilkins and Mack are on notice.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, ColtV said:

Exactly...though that signing bonus was pretty hefty.  If he is an upgrade over Wilkins than welcome aboard! 

Only 5 this year because those 5 plus draftees puts the offseason roster at 90 already!

I'm sure after rookie minicamp next weekend some cuts will be made from the futures guys and a few more UDFA's will be brought in. CB churns thru those guys all year!

Although I like Wilkins, we could trade him for a mid round draft choice next year.  I mentioned last year we should not trade or release Wilkins who has average over 5 yards per carry for his career unless he proves he cannot do that or 4.5 ypc.   In 2020 he avg 3.7 ypc but keep in mind with J. Taylor and Hines being the 1-2 RB combo, a lot of Wilkins carries were mop up duty at the end of the game, running out the clock, when the defense knows it is a running play.

I think Wilkins can be a solid #2 RB in a 1-2 RB combo in NFL but we at well stocked at RB with Taylor, Hines, and Mack, and now Jackson or other already on the roster.  Like I said, I do like and respect Wilkins, remember his Univ of Miss team went up against powerhouse Alabama, he manned up took them on, had impressive performance, was not intimidated by them.  However, if things does not change, we may lose him to free agency anyway.

Jackson's highlights against Notre Dame had some nice runs, against highly rated LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah.  Just an observation, someone said he did not look 220 lbs, I kind of agree, his biceps look kind of small for 220 lbs, does not mean a lot but just an observation. Also did not look like a 4.32 runner, but 4.4 is still darn fast, maybe his smooth stride is deceiving.  Good 4th RB or practice squad RB.

20 hours ago, coming on strong said:

Could be to be behind a possible good Oline in preseason and hope other teams notice. Also good chance on special teams here as a returner.

WR Vaughn, is a good UDFA signing. Lindy's had him projected at a 4th round pick.  His measurables was not desirable, Ht is OK 6-1, a little light 190, but not too light.  Not saying he is Devonte Smith who is 175 lbs, but faster.  They say Vaughn did not have a good Pro Day 40, but Lindy's has him at 4.47.  Vaughn may be just a good, solid, reliable, smooth ER who knows how to get open. Did not put up great numbers but was consistent.  Highlights shows he did receive a lateral pass then threw a TD pass to Pittman at USC.  We could do worse with Vaughn as our 5th WR or practice squad.  There will be good competition for that spot between 3-4 other decent WR prospects.

Black I think, the Texas/Ehlinger connection may have something to do with it. 

LB Anthony Butler, I like his physicality I seen at Liberty Univ, he looks like he played MLB there and showed good hitting and range at 227 lbs.   Liberty looks like they had a good year, was 6-0 when the beat Virginia Tech.

LB Isaiah Kaufusi at BYU seemed like a intelligent, character guy, leader OLB at 220 lbs.  Could be a special teams asset.

Interesting how we have not signed more UDFA, usually we have 10-15 signed every year.