Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Please allow me to scream!

Wes Heilman

I’m starting to believe one or more of the following is true:

1. I am an * who knows nothing about building an NFL team.

2. Ballard is an * who knows nothing about building an NFL team.

I hope like hell that the obvious is true and I’m the *, but right now I struggle to imagine anything but another round of a Colts QB getting his butt beaten. We already know how Wentz responds when that happens. We are certainly beyond the realm of drafting OL help for the next few years in this draft.

My only guess is the Colts believe that quality offensive linemen will be salary cap or roster space victims prior to the season, that Costonzo is secretly going to I retire or that Q to LT is a done deal. Sometimes you read a book that starts out good but gets painful halfway through and you just want to flip through the pages and see how it ends. That’s where I am. Please play one more season Anthony!

Just now, CR91 said:

We picked up three olineman in FAs

are they good enough to be a high level left tackle is the question .  left tackle is the most important spot on the line  , how bad did it look when AC went down last year and clark went in and gave up two sacks in a drive and got beat almost every play .   i do not think ballard is done signing guys he will get fisher

Just now, coming on strong said:

are they good enough to be a high level left tackle is the question .  left tackle is the most important spot on the line  , how bad did it look when AC went down last year and clark went in and gave up two sacks in a drive and got beat almost every play .   i do not think ballard is done signing guys he will get fisher

Personally I have no clue, but apparently Ballard believes they are or else he would have took a T. 

9 minutes ago, Wes Heilman said:

I hope like hell that the obvious is true and I’m the *, but right now I struggle to imagine anything but another round of a Colts QB getting his butt beaten. We already know how Wentz responds when that happens. We are certainly beyond the realm of drafting OL help for the next few years in this draft.

My only guess is the Colts believe that quality offensive linemen will be salary cap or roster space victims prior to the season, that Costonzo is secretly going to I retire or that Q to LT is a done deal. Sometimes you read a book that starts out good but gets painful halfway through and you just want to flip through the pages and see how it ends. That’s where I am. Please play one more season Anthony!

Definitely option 1.

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

lol. Apparently you never listen to Ballard. He said before the draft that he wasn’t going to take a tackle just to take one.  

Ballard is great at finding players with torn achille tendons.....does anyone know of any available left tackles with an Achilles tear? Hmmmm.

3 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Ballard is great at finding players with torn achille tendons.....does anyone know of any available left tackles with an Achilles tear? Hmmmm.

Why because he drafted one guy with one?  Mack got one when he was already on the team so this argument doesn’t hold up well.  

2 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Mack was a free agent that we resigned.

That’s not finding someone.  That was a deal that made sense for both sides.  It’s a cheap one year deal.  Had Mack not been a Colts he wouldn’t have been signed.  So try again.  

You all need to chill. I’m old enough to remember when people hated the following Ballard picks

Nelson(half this forum wanted Bradley Chubb)

Brayden Smith

Darius Leonard

Julian Blackmon

Jonathon Taylor

no Ballard hasn’t hit on all his picks, but find me a GM who does. But I think we all need to slow down in calling Ballard names and saying he doesn’t know what he’s doing. He’s shown that he does and even if that’s not happening as fast as we want or the way we want, he and his team have far more resources available to them and far more knowledge. To suggest that a forum poster here knows how to build a team better than a guy getting paid millions and with a staff getting paid that have far more resources than any of us is just plain dumb. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

You all need to chill. I’m old enough to remember when people hated the following Ballard picks

Brayden Smith

Darius Leonard

Julian Blackmon

Jonathon Taylor

no Ballard hasn’t hit on all his picks, but find me a GM who does. But I think we all need to slow down in calling Ballard names and saying he doesn’t know what he’s doing. He’s shown that he does and even if that’s not happening as fast as we want or the way we want, he and his team have far more resources available to them and far more knowledge. To suggest that a forum poster here knows how to build a team better than a guy getting paid millions and with a staff getting paid that have far more resources than any of us is just plain dumb. 

Schitts Creek Thank You GIF by CBC

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Brayden Smith

Darius Leonard

Julian Blackmon

Jonathon Taylor

Ballard has a plan believe me he knows better than anyone that we need a left tackle and believe me he'll find one. 

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Brayden Smith

Darius Leonard

Julian Blackmon

Jonathon Taylor

Yeah, when Ballard ever starts listening to the fans he'll become one plain and simple. 

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Brayden Smith

Darius Leonard

Julian Blackmon

Jonathon Taylor

I’ve seen so many posts the past few days about people and their own board and I think part of the problem is that some have convinced themselves they really do know as much as a NFL General Manager and when the draft doesn’t fall the way they think it should well Ballard must be wrong because the alternative would mean they are wrong and they just don’t want to admit that.  

I mean think about the ego it takes to post to say either I don’t know anything about building a football team or the guy who has the track record Ballard has doesn’t know what he’s doing and then to lay out the case for why it’s Ballard who doesn’t know what he’s doing.  

Ballard isn’t perfect, no GM is.  He’s had busts and there will be busts in this draft and his future draft.  The problem is people like to single out his busts and use those to argue Ballard has no clue what he’s doing while ignoring that the positives way out weigh the negatives.  I’ve said it before it’s fair to question Ballard at times but where people lose all credibility is when they try to twist things to support a narrative that Ballard doesn’t know what he’s doing and then when they get called on it they play the well I guess I can’t just question the GM card.  No you can but don’t twist facts because you want something to be true that’s not.  

How would this draft look if we had an upgrade at LT?

DE to replace Autry, slide into the interior when needed.

A Move TE (big receiver) who appears to be athletic (I don't know if at 6.1 you can say that he is a mismatch)

A S that looks to have back end range as one of his positive traits.

A back up QB that has leadership, 4 years of experience in a fast paced offense, and can make plays with his legs.

A big developmental WR.

A developmental OL.

So maybe Holden is the guy.  Maybe Tevi is not that bad.  Maybe Fisher comes on board.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

How would this draft look if we had an upgrade at LT?

DE to replace Autry, slide into the interior when needed.

A Move TE (big receiver) who appears to be athletic (I don't know if at 6.1 you can say that he is a mismatch)

A S that looks to have back end range as one of his positive traits.

A back up QB that has leadership, 4 years of experience in a fast paced offense, and can make plays with his legs.

A big developmental WR.

A developmental OL.

So maybe Holden is the guy.  Maybe Tevi is not that bad.  Maybe Fisher comes on board.

The thing is, Ballard said weeks ago that he didn’t feel there was a must have, instant starter at LT in the draft. Yeah there were a lot of LT early, but they were all essentially interchangeable. No real must have guy or guys. 

im not sure what his plan at LT is. Maybe he slides Q over and takes a G in the supplemental or signs a FA T or G. 

let’s not forget too, there’s more than one occasion where an OL has been an UDFA and come in and played well for some team. For us, it was Jeff Saturday. So I mean anything is possible and we have studs at 4/5 OL positions so I think we can scheme a way to help our weak link easier than in years past

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

The thing is, Ballard said weeks ago that he didn’t feel there was a must have, instant starter at LT in the draft. Yeah there were a lot of LT early, but they were all essentially interchangeable. No real must have guy or guys. 

im not sure what his plan at LT is. Maybe he slides Q over and takes a G in the supplemental or signs a FA T or G. 

let’s not forget too, there’s more than one occasion where an OL has been an UDFA and come in and played well for some team. For us, it was Jeff Saturday. So I mean anything is possible and we have studs at 4/5 OL positions so I think we can scheme a way to help our weak link easier than in years past

I think the starting LT is already on the team, Holden.  Unless Fisher comes on board.

Well, I’m excited about this draft.  We have so many players that could be special.  And several of them in the later rounds.  You only need to hit one of those later round picks for it to be a big deal.  I see two TE’s that could fill a position of need in a few years.  One TE might contribute day one (one needs to put on a few lbs, but he is 6’5” and very fast).  A QB that played for a team who’s coach got canned.  Maybe he missed out on some coaching that would have elevated his game.  Got 2 Edge rushers that are day one talent with a 1st and 2nd pick.  One was the top overal Edge.  He has increadible athletism.  Give him some time with Mathis and look out!

1 hour ago, Wes Heilman said:

Put your money on #1.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I think the starting LT is already on the team, Holden.  Unless Fisher comes on board.

I am coming to this conclusion as well. I would think all our moves for the LT position will be in place by the time TC rolls around. Looking forward to it.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Brayden Smith

Darius Leonard

Julian Blackmon

Jonathon Taylor

100% agree

Literally there were articles saying Darius Leonard was the worst pick in the draft, and we all know how that turned out. Ballard does this every year and people seemed to not have learned.

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Brayden Smith

Darius Leonard

Julian Blackmon

Jonathon Taylor

Ballard drafting DE’s is scary. He’s a size/workout guy. I’d rather him draft guys that have produced!! Tired of the oh he’s got a high ceiling cause he’s athletic but his tape shows limited production 

Archived