Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Shawn Davis S

danlhart87

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

I heard they accidentally drafted the wrong one so had to use another pick on the correct one......Jets being the Jets....

I suspect that was a joke.   Your scenario is highly unlikely.    The first MC is the better of the two. 

28 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

And here's the story ....https://vimeo.com/287709673

The link doesn’t work, but the idea that the Jets took the wrong player is not very likely.  

One Michael Carter is clearly better than the other.   They took the better Carter first, at the top of the 4th.   The other Carter was taken later which would be expected.  I’m not saying thus with any certainty, only what I think is likely.

When a name is submitted, it’s not just a name.   It’s the name, the school, and the position.   That helps avoid confusion like this. 

The New York Jets had one of the most interesting moments of the 2021 NFL Draft, selecting two players with the name of Michael Carter -- both on day three. New York's first selection was North Carolina running back Michael Carter in the fourth round, then Duke defensive back Michael Carter II in the fifth round. 

Wild, right? 

When New York selected Carter -- the running back -- a graphic that came up on television profiling the player as the defensive back. Jets head coach Robert Saleh had to make sure they turned in the right draft card. "When we took Michael Carter the running back, ESPN threw up Michael Carter II on the screen and we were like, 'Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a minute,' and checked the notes and made sure we made the right pick," Saleh said on a conference call to reporters after the draft.

So the mistake was ESPN's and the crowd was lead to believe the other Michael Carter was drafted and the Jets coach second guessed himself, but they turned in the correct card. The story hit right away of some sort of confusion but for once wasnt the Jets fault of the confusion.

Archived