Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Shawn Davis S

danlhart87

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just special team players going forward.  

The write up says he has great back end range.  I think he plays the deep role to Blackmon's more shallow role.  This is more than a special teamer.  He's deep safety in our three man safety schemes with Blackmon and Willis, and will probably paly that single role pretty well by week 10.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davis (5'11/202) is the rare deep safety who can lay the wood. A two-year starter for the Gators, Davis wore a number of hats in the Gators defense, but often looked best when deeper in coverage from both split-field looks and as a single-high defender. Davis' instincts in coverage can run hot and cold, but when he is "on," he shows the range and ball skills to break up passes after covering an impressive amount of ground. Part of that is thanks to Davis' ridiculously explosive athletic profile, as evidenced by clearing the 90th-percentile in both the vertical and broad jump. Not too many free safeties have Davis' tackling prowess, so perhaps Davis could develop into a starting-quality safety in a few year's time after ironing out how he sees the field, similar to a discount Eric Reid. Davis will be competing with none other than Sean Davis for reps as a rookie.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is why I always get a kick out of people that do mocks in here. There were at least 100 different mocks in here and nobody had any of these guys that Ballard has drafted outside of Paye in their mock. He is drafting guys today some have barley even heard of. lmao 

I study up every year about a month after the SB and every year I'm stuck saying

Angry Who Is This GIF by Team Coco

Zierlein

Hard-hitting safety whose size, toughness and urgent demeanor will be appealing for NFL teams looking to add some attitude on the back end. While he certainly embraces the role of enforcer when coming forward as a striker, too often his efforts will hit road bumps due to a lack of discipline with coming to balance and squaring/wrapping his target. If a team can correct that issue, he has plenty of value in run support. Davis moves with fluidity and some explosiveness, but he has average instincts and anticipation to shade coverage and attack throws. He's rangy over the top in two-deep and can play interchangeably in the box. His aggressiveness and versatility should create an opportunity as a good backup and eventual starter.

Bolded:  He wont be asked to directly cover anybody one on one.

Italics:  He mainly plays behind Blackmon on the field.

20 minutes ago, CR91 said:

So we have two safeties with basically the same name. That won't get confusing haha

Back in the day when the Pacers were actual contenders, they had a paid of Davis boys, Antonio and Dale, no relation but it worked pretty well for them. Antonio Davis put on a clinic for middle school and highschool kids before a lot of home games back then. Cool dude. 

20 minutes ago, Gigc said:

He has Troy Palamalu's hair.

made a bunch of big plays; picked off a hail mary in the senior bowl. again, looks like an immediate special teams dude

Troy Polamalu has great hair, so since Shawn Davis has the same kind, he's in!:D

Davis could be good on special teams, but they say he's also inconsistent. Maybe that will eventually improve. 

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I study up every year about a month after the SB and every year I'm stuck saying

Angry Who Is This GIF by Team Coco

it is beyond daunting. I think Ballard said they start with 500 players who are draft eligible

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is why I always get a kick out of people that do mocks in here. There were at least 100 different mocks in here and nobody had any of these guys that Ballard has drafted outside of Paye in their mock. He is drafting guys today some have barley even heard of. lmao 

I had Granson in one of my last mocks.... as our last pick... :D 

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, leave it to those that get paid to do it.  That goes for the geeks like Mel Kiper Jr. as well.  Don't make me bring Bill Tobin out:thmup::lol:

In all seriousness I love it when you guys do mocks, that is one of the best things about this site. I have fun reading them but Ballard seems to do almost the opposite of what many have. Heck I had us pegged to take a LT in round #1, I should've known better haha . I do love the Paye pick though. 

18 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Back in the day when the Pacers were actual contenders, they had a paid of Davis boys, Antonio and Dale, no relation but it worked pretty well for them. Antonio Davis put on a clinic for middle school and highschool kids before a lot of home games back then. Cool dude. 

My favorite Pacers team.   Loved the Davis boys play.  

13 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i love the pick he is a big safety  colts love coming out with only 2 linebackers and 3 corners or 3 safety sets .   shawn can be like a faster linebacker playing the run  .    we now have 4 solid safeties  depth at corner and defensive line . 

Could that mean we will finally see  LT drafted? 

28 minutes ago, Myles said:

My favorite Pacers team.   Loved the Davis boys play.  

I met the Davis boys when I was a kid living in Indy. They came to my elementary school (Clinton Young) and talked to all the kids. Was pretty cool. 

3 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I met the Davis boys when I was a kid living in Indy. They came to my elementary school (Clinton Young) and talked to all the kids. Was pretty cool. 

They had to seem like giants to you.    They would seem like giants to most grown men.     That was a fun team. 

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

They had to seem like giants to you.    They would seem like giants to most grown men.     That was a fun team. 

Oh god. It was insane how small I felt standing next to them. Everyone was disappointed Reggie wasn’t there, but was still cool regardless. 

I can't believe Marvin Wilson (DT) and Tamerron Terry (WR) are still on the board. Wilson was being mocked on EVER draft board as a second rounder, very early 3rd at least. Terry was between a 3rd and 5th. I hope we take Terry, he's 6'3, 220 and can freaking fly..

Archived