Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 NFL Draft Day 3 Discussion Thread

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, some are saying the guy is a playmaker.  Highlight tape to me he looks like a stiff.  RAS confirms it.

Did you actually read the measurements? His biggest hits were his size. His athleticism ranked as elite and his agility as good, with a 6.93 3 cone. That's not stiff.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You are kidding right?  Costonzo was a 1st rd pick at 22.  No one discounted him.  Polisn was thrilled to get him and he certainly did not disappoint.

Castanzo was underrated by fans, no doubt but when you saw how the overpaid Nate Solder kinds (drafted in the same draft) performed and other LTs around the league, we realized the grass on the other side wasn't greener. Tarik Glenn and Castanzo, Polian benefited from the previous regime's LT Tarik Glenn drafted but couldn't deliver with Ugoh, Grigson benefited with the previous regime's LT drafted in Castanzo and to an extent Ballard but they need to make their own LT draft mark.

The ones I couldn't understand were the ones who berated Castanzo for no reason, maybe they wanted more pancakes. :) 

So we haven’t done much in FA and drafted one starter, one red shirt player who should end up playing late season and a Special Teamer.  Leaves a lot to be desired...

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You are kidding right?  Costonzo was a 1st rd pick at 22.  No one discounted him.  Polisn was thrilled to get him and he certainly did not disappoint.

CASTONZO gave up 18.5 sacks his 1st 2 years, and 70+ sacks, hit, and hurries in year 3. He was very disappointing if that matters.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

BPA would have been Tylan Wallace, IMO. Ravens got a good one. They always draft better than most teams, IMO.

Yeah, it's subjective, it feels like the year Darius was drafted. Most of us though, good pick but isnt he a 4th rounder? Same vibes with Granson. 

Wallace wasn't one i ever mocked, didnt really reckon he was that good. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Seems like we're reaching for guys we could get in a round later..

That's actually been Ballard's pattern when not drafting near the top of the round.  The only guys he gets at good value are guys that are injured.

2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Yeah, it's subjective, it feels like the year Darius was drafted. Most of us though, good pick but isnt he a 4th rounder? Same vibes with Granson. 

You must not have watched him enough, that is clear. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

It feels like a reach to me. I know Irsay said he wanted a playmaking TE. I see the potential but it seems we like players who are inconsistent. Dropping balls is not a trait I want in a TE.  That should be one of your most sure handed and reliable players.  

Yeah I hear you. We all stomached it with Ebron but he compensated with big plays. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Ballard drafts are reminiscent of polian drafts.  Every pick seems like a reach until they play a few years and i love them. 

Except with Ballard, his reaches seem to actually bust.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Discounted for most of his career. I may be hanging with a different set of fans but FWIW most people acted like he was a mid tier to bottom tier LT. 

p.s. im not talking about his draft

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

To be fair, every GM reaches based on system fits and roles.

Pat Angerer, was projected as a Round 4 or 5 LB, Polian got him in round 2. Same with Kelvin Hayden, a round 4 guy Polian got at the end of round 2. But they were system fits that the coaches vouched for. So, if the coaches vouch for those reaches, they better develop them well enough to contribute. With Pagano, we did not see player development much, IMO. Hopefully with our defensive coaches, the development better happen fast enough.

Ravens' drafts - they value college production more, it seems like, and have solid depth built that net them compensatory picks every year.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Shive said:

Did you actually read the measurements? His biggest hits were his size. His athleticism ranked as elite and his agility as good, with a 6.93 3 cone. That's not stiff.

No I did not, just the total score.  On the tape he looks like a guy who has long stride speed but bad agility.  Maybe he was focusing on catching the ball too much.  Thanks for pointing out the details.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Some of those Grigson reaches weren't even on my board. He did that to me almost every year. You could even tell that ESPN was having to manually add them after the pick was made. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

So we haven’t done much in FA and drafted one starter, one red shirt player who should end up playing late season and a Special Teamer.  Leaves a lot to be desired...

Actually, Granson is not a great special teams player, so I don't know what you're talking about. He's our receiving TE for the Trey Burton role going forward.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

With as many picks as you have had, it increased the chances.

There has been a commercial every time, except maybe before the Darrisaw pick but I am not sure about that. Lol.

• Like 1

On 204 career targets, Granson had 16 drops. It's not fantastic, but it's not terrible. He's a soft hands catcher, so I think it's something that he could improve on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Hey Joe, did you like the Kendrick Green pick. Some Vikes wanted us to draft him.

Loved it. I'm shocked he fell that far. One of the most explosive linemen in the draft. It was him or Molden but I had fallen asleep by the time the third came around. Just what the doctor ordered. 

• Like 1

Just now, chad72 said:

To be fair, every GM reaches based on system fits and roles.

Pat Angerer, was projected as a Round 4 or 5 LB, Polian got him in round 2. Same with Kelvin Hayden, a round 4 guy Polian got at the end of round 2. But they were system fits that the coaches vouched for. So, if the coaches vouch for those reaches, they better develop them well enough to contribute.

I know about Polian.  He had many years to see it through.  So far, Ballard's reaches have not panned out.  And people will disagree, but Hooker was a reach, IMO.  We all know his 2nd round DEs were.  When you get into the later rounds, reach gets a little fuzzy.

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

With as many picks as you have had, it increased the chances.

No Kidding... It seems like every other pick is a Vikings pick. :D 

23. Vikings select OT, Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech - BlueShoe Ranking 17
66. Vikings select QB, Kellen Mond, Texas A&M - BlueShoe Ranking 88
78. Vikings select LB, Chazz Surratt, North Carolina - BlueShoe Ranking 105
86. Vikings select IOL, Wyatt Davis, Ohio State - BlueShoe Ranking 69
90. Vikings select Edge, Patrick Jones II, Pittsburgh - BlueShoe Ranking 151
119. Vikings select RB, Kene Nwangwu, Iowa State - BlueShoe Ranking 220
125. Vikings select CB, Camryn Bynum, California - BlueShoe Ranking 159
134. Vikings select Edge, Janarius Robinson, Florida State - BlueShoe Ranking 203

Instead of introducing the rookies to a new team, the new team is going to be introduced to the rookies. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

You must not have watched him enough, that is clear. 

That's why i said this is all very subjective. I had a shortlist of 120 players that i thought fit the Colts and he wasn't on it. The guys who were not on it are not bad players, it just simply meant that i didnt see how they'd fit. And i hold my hands up and admit, i'm no scout lol. I didnt watch many all22s. However i did have Kylen on my top 120 and Tylan wasn't in it.

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Vikes pick is in. Another commercial.  :grumpy2:

Wow, y'all may have it worse than the Colts.

2 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Some of those Grigson reaches weren't even on my board. He did that to me almost every year. You could even tell that ESPN was having to manually add them after the pick was made. 

Why are you talking bout Grigson?

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I know about Polian.  He had many years to see it through.  So far, Ballard's reaches have not panned out.  And people will disagree, but Hooker was a reach, IMO.  We all know his 2nd round DEs were.  When you get into the later rounds, reach gets a little fuzzy.

Yes, objectively speaking, it is true mostly, I agree with you. However, the reason for not panning out might have to do something with the coaches too, is what I am inferring.

The newness and red carpet welcome for Ballard is going to wear out if those 2nd round defensive line guys don't start producing with the right coaching. 

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

On 204 career targets, Granson had 16 drops. It's not fantastic, but it's not terrible. He's a soft hands catcher, so I think it's something that he could improve on.

Avg. 8 drops/year with just over 100 targets/year... that's a lot.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

I think he can contribute. He looks more of a H-back than a TE.

A bit like Nyheim Hines in Round 4 a few years ago, I think Ballard is looking to give Reich another unique skillset weapon to work with.

I see the fit too. We dink and dunk it alot and Granson seems to have alot of good YAC ability. I think Reich is behind this pick and has a role in this offense already. He was dament back in the FA of finding a playmaker in the position.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

He was the first non-top 3 WR that wowed me as soon as I turned on his tape. He's going to be really good.

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Vikes' pick is Janorius Robinson, DL, FL State

There were a handful of us here that liked him. He's a developmental guy, but he's got good upside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JoeThornburg said:

Loved it. I'm shocked he fell that far. One of the most explosive linemen in the draft.

Good to hear. The Steelers and the Ravens always seem to do a good job with the draft. I attribute that to continuity. 

How much longer do you think (former Stanford Cardinal) DeCastro will play? 

3 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Because I don't need anyone's permission to talk about what I want to.

Exactly, as long as it does not violate the rules. You're fine. :thmup:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Avg. 8 drops/year with just over 100 targets/year... that's a lot.

That was over 4 years. He played 2 years at Rice, then 2 years at SMU. It's not a great stat regardless, but it's not like he has stone hands.

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Good to hear. The Steelers and the Ravens always seem to do a good job with the draft. I attribute that to continuity. 

How much longer do you think (former Stanford Cardinal) DeCastro will play? 

I think he's got another contract left in him. Maybe a 3 year deal. Guy should end up in Canton, but I am biased. He's an absolute rock.

• Like 1

• w87r unpinned this topic