Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select DE Dayo Odeyingbo


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Here’s the problem with the Ballard is horrible with edge rusher theory.  It only takes getting one right to change that.  Remember when the Lions were horrible at drafting WRs and then they took Megatron and all of the sudden they weren’t horrible at drafting WRs anymore.  

Yeah that had nothing to do with what we were discussing but keep ranting.  

Sometimes you get picks wrong.  That doesn't mean you quit taking chances at one of the most important positions on the team.  Sometimes it takes quite a bit of capitol and commitment to make a group truly special.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every. Year.   Y'all need to breathe, lol

There wasn’t an OT available without reaching. Good on Ballard

11 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:


Ballard’s track record of 2nd round edge rushers is that one had a major injury, one has been a late developer but promising, and one was a major project from day 1 that hasn’t even been on the field. 
 

Turay was the highest graded pff pass rusher when he got injured in 2019. This is a big year for him. Lewis has gotten much better over the course of his career. Banagou is nonexistent. 
 

Pass rushers take time to develop. By continuing to add young, extremely athletic guys to the mix, indicates this front office understands the need and that looking longterm, D-line is the focal point for this defense. The development of all of these guys, including Turay and Lewis (I’m nearly out on banogou), is important. What happens come September if Paye comes in and plays exceptional as a rookie, Lewis plays like a starting defensive end, Turay proves he can stay healthy and be an effective pass rusher, and Stewart/Buckner dominate the interior? All of a sudden, this defensive line and front 7 with Okereke and All pro Leonard is one of the best in the league. And they are all still very young, meaning we have pieces in place for years to come. Then you throw a 2nd round athlete in the mix that isn’t expected nor needed to come in and perform, just get healthy and develop... and potentially develops into a stud that can move across the line in a versatile role. With development, this defensive line could be set for years. It all comes down to what this coaching staff can do with these guysz

For what it’s worth...

 

Banogu’s rookie year he recorded 2.5 sacks.   He basically didn’t do anything last year.  But his first year wasn’t terrible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Coltscrazy said:

Sometimes you get picks wrong.  That doesn't mean you quit taking chances at one of the most important positions on the team.  Sometimes it takes quite a bit of capitol and commitment to make a group truly special.

Ding ding we have a winner.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not for nothing...    but Dayo does NOT describe himself as a DE.   Says he has literally played every position on the line and will be happy to play wherever the Colts put him.  
 

So don’t be surprised to see him at DT in some sub-packages.   He can be a big mismatch for our defense. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems according to Ballard they got the guy they wanted again. Sounds like he would of been a option in the first if not for the injury. So Ballard not only got one player they wanted at DE but two.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

I definitely see this kid taking the autry role! Awesome pick! I forgot that so many of you guys are professional arm chair gms.

I forgot that Ballard has hit on so many EDGE rushers in the draft. Turay.... Oh wait. Lewis.... Oh wait. Banogu.... Oh wait. I guess he hasn't hit on any yet. That's why he is drafting two in a row and even reaching on the second one in order to replace his three busts in a desperate attempt to create a pass-rush for us.

 

That's what happens when you sign Issac Rochell in FA and are too cheap to pay a little extra for Denico Autry thinking he'll have blind loyalty to you. 

 

It's more like any regular professional GM on a real NFL team is better than Ballard at the EDGE position in the draft, and I always get that feeling when Ballard takes an EDGE, that it's going to turn out poorly.

 

First time: Ohhh, lets see what Ballard does with these picks (Turay and Lewis)

Second time, I'll give Ballard one more chance (Banogu)

Third time, I'll believe they are good when it happens (Paye and Dayo)

 

Ballard is like the little boy who cried wolf with EDGE rushers in the draft. It gets old after a while.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ballard said they were sweating bullets hoping he would fall. Yeah they wanted him bad. Doesn’t sound like he liked this OT Class much. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm surprised but not upset.   Ballard seen something in him.   He has great size.   DE has been addressed in this draft in a big way.   

At least these two DEs are used to playing on the line. Ben and Kemoko played a lot at LB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

So is Buckner not since he doesn't play every snap? Since he plays around 70%, By your logic he isnt good enough

 

Where are you seeing 70%?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I forgot that Ballard has hit on so many EDGE rushers in the draft. Turay.... Oh wait. Lewis.... Oh wait. Banogu.... Oh wait. I guess he hasn't hit on any yet. That's why he is drafting two in a row and even reaching on the second one in order to replace his three busts in a desperate attempt to create a pass-rush for us.

 

That's what happens when you sign Issac Rochell in FA and are too cheap to pay a little extra for Denico Autry thinking he'll have blind loyalty to you. 

 

It's more like any regular professional GM on a real NFL team is better than Ballard at the EDGE position in the draft, and I always get that feeling when Ballard takes an EDGE, that it's going to turn out poorly.

 

First time: Ohhh, lets see what Ballard does with these picks (Turay and Lewis)

Second time, I'll give Ballard one more chance (Banogu)

Third time, I'll believe they are good when it happens (Paye and Dayo)

 

Ballard is like the little boy who cried wolf with EDGE rushers in the draft. It gets old after a while.

You must take a chance on a rookie. There's no way they would pay a top veteran who i believe averaged 15m+ this year.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In hindsight, we should have known we weren't going tackle here. Ballard essentially said it last night; they didn't think most of these guys could play left tackle. I bet they didn't even care that Cosmi and Radunz were picked right before.

 

I think the second they picked Paye, they knew they would make this pick, even with this kid's injury, because they now had the insurance of having Paye to improve the pass rush right away and they could wait on him to heal. They basically sent the pick in right away, that says a lot. On the kid, who knows if he'll be any good, tbh, I doubt anyone here was grinding the Vandy tape. He's another traits guy but essentially any Edge picked outside the top 10 has some kind of issue, whether it be medical, lower college production or some missing trait. There's no use complaining about drafting "projects" at the position, we don't ever draft high enough to draft an Edge that has everything. 

 

And it's not unsound thinking, really. Pass rush was arguably the weakest part of the team last year and it's actually good that even if we've drafted a lot at Edge recently, the FO still aren't afraid to swing on guys at that position. I'll never complain at the team picking pass rushers, it's such an important position. 

 

That said, this is all with the caveat we sign a solid FA left tackle now. We can't be having Tevi start there, no way. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

You must take a chance on a rookie. There's no way they would pay a top veteran who i believe averaged 15m+ this year.

 

 

I can respect that. My major issue is one of your goals heading into the offseason was to keep Denico Autry. You let him test the market, asked what he was getting offered by the Titans, and instead of offering a bit more out of respect (like $500,000) to keep him, you matched the offer and he signed with the Titans. That is Ballards fault 100% as he left it to chance thinking Autry would be loyal. Thanks to that incompetance, we had to spend our 2nd rounder getting an additional pass-rusher instead of using it on another position or possibly trading down for additional picks.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I can respect that. My major issue is one of your goals heading into the offseason was to keep Denico Autry. You let him test the market, asked what he was getting offered by the Titans, and instead of offering a bit more out of respect (like $500,000) to keep him, you matched the offer and he signed with the Titans. That is Ballards fault 100% as he left it to chance thinking Autry would be loyal. Thanks to that incompetance, we had to spend our 2nd rounder getting an additional pass-rusher instead of using it on another position or possibly trading down for additional picks.

He obviously values Dayo quite a lot and I love what he brings to the table versatility wise.

 

Try to read up on the kid.  He's got  very long arms and adds great rotation to this D.

 

Don't forget after Henry destroyed us without Buckner DL was a major need.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm surprised but not upset.   Ballard seen something in him.   He has great size.   DE has been addressed in this draft in a big way.   

 

Agreed.  I like this pick more than the Paye pick, TBH.

 

This kid would've been a 1st rounder without the freak injury.  Position versatility?  Check.  Freakish physical traits?  Check.  Desire to run through a brick wall and walk through hell with a gasoline suit on?  Check!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I forgot that Ballard has hit on so many EDGE rushers in the draft. Turay.... Oh wait. Lewis.... Oh wait. Banogu.... Oh wait. I guess he hasn't hit on any yet. That's why he is drafting two in a row and even reaching on the second one in order to replace his three busts in a desperate attempt to create a pass-rush for us.

 

That's what happens when you sign Issac Rochell in FA and are too cheap to pay a little extra for Denico Autry thinking he'll have blind loyalty to you. 

 

It's more like any regular professional GM on a real NFL team is better than Ballard at the EDGE position in the draft, and I always get that feeling when Ballard takes an EDGE, that it's going to turn out poorly.

 

First time: Ohhh, lets see what Ballard does with these picks (Turay and Lewis)

Second time, I'll give Ballard one more chance (Banogu)

Third time, I'll believe they are good when it happens (Paye and Dayo)

 

Ballard is like the little boy who cried wolf with EDGE rushers in the draft. It gets old after a while.

Remember when we were told "waves & waves" of pass rush? haha

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I can respect that. My major issue is one of your goals heading into the offseason was to keep Denico Autry. You let him test the market, asked what he was getting offered by the Titans, and instead of offering a bit more out of respect (like $500,000) to keep him, you matched the offer and he signed with the Titans. That is Ballards fault 100% as he left it to chance thinking Autry would be loyal. Thanks to that incompetance, we had to spend our 2nd rounder getting an additional pass-rusher instead of using it on another position or possibly trading down for additional picks.

I guess you didn’t hear Ballard say that if not for his injury, Dayo would’ve been under consideration for the pick we used on Kwity.  We drafted a first round talent with our second round pick.  Ballard said Dayo was ranked higher than the tackles taken just before the Colts pick.  (Radunz, Cosmi,  Kittle).  In other words, they love the kid even if you don’t. 
 

As for “incompetence” there isn’t any.   Only in your mind.   When he lets someone go out the door, Ballard always know he can lose the player if the price isn’t right.   Tennessee offered Autry more guaranteed money in the second year than Ballard was comfortable with.  In other words, we were willing to lose the player.   We don’t rely on loyalty.   We encourage players to shop around so they know what they’re worth and Ballard always says any given player might be worth more to another team than he is to the Colts and he’s fine with that. 
 

There are a number of other posters who are not happy with the pick.  But I doubt anyone is flat out as angry as you are.  No one is attacking Ballard as you are.  You’d think our GM was still Ryan Grigson.   
 

If only you’d take a deep breath.... 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm kinda impartial here, because Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis on DE were my favorite Colts defenders, so I'd love to see us resurrect a fearsome pass rush. Imagine you've got Darius Leonard paired with two beasts at DE, and then we still have DeForest Buckner at DT.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I forgot that Ballard has hit on so many EDGE rushers in the draft. Turay.... Oh wait. Lewis.... Oh wait. Banogu.... Oh wait. I guess he hasn't hit on any yet. That's why he is drafting two in a row and even reaching on the second one in order to replace his three busts in a desperate attempt to create a pass-rush for us.

 

That's what happens when you sign Issac Rochell in FA and are too cheap to pay a little extra for Denico Autry thinking he'll have blind loyalty to you. 

 

It's more like any regular professional GM on a real NFL team is better than Ballard at the EDGE position in the draft, and I always get that feeling when Ballard takes an EDGE, that it's going to turn out poorly.

 

First time: Ohhh, lets see what Ballard does with these picks (Turay and Lewis)

Second time, I'll give Ballard one more chance (Banogu)

Third time, I'll believe they are good when it happens (Paye and Dayo)

 

Ballard is like the little boy who cried wolf with EDGE rushers in the draft. It gets old after a while.


:facepalm:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Haha yep. We're having trouble getting the water in the pool lol! haha 

 

Yep....all the good corners, receivers, linebackers coming off the board and we're still stuck trying to get a pass rusher for what 3 years now and failing miserably.  haha

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Old Colt said:

What a joke.. Colts need  OL, CB and they take a player that by all accounts will not play this year... In the 2nd round with no 3rd round pick....wow  

 

They said the same thing about Blackmon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing wrong with Dayo pick. He can play all over the front line. I thought we would get an OT in round 2 but the top option for OT Round 2 were picked. Ballard claims Dayo was their top choice in round 2 - which may be spin or he felt that this guy has first round talent and we are getting him in the mid 2nd round. We could have used a 3rd round pick  as we lost out on Brown, Christenson and Mayfield.   I would think our top draft option for an OT now would bee D'Ante Smith or  we may draft Trey Smith from Tennessee who is an OG but has as tackle body.

 

For next 4 picks I hope we find an OL, LB (some good options are still on board), Defensive Back, and TE. The rest of our roster adds will come from UDFA,  and Free Agents - there will be a new round of cuts.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Screw Ballard for wasting my time, and wasting our draft picks.

 

I can't support this move, and I'm not sure I can support this team anymore.

 

Again. Screw Ballard.

 

Every year with you.  Every freakin year.  Free Agency.  The Draft.  You overreact because Ballard didn't do what you wanted, and post this ridiculous rhetoric in a moment of extreme emotion.

 

"SCREW BALLARD."  

 

"I can't support this move, and I'm not sure I can support this team anymore."  Ok, then DON'T.  Quit clicking.  Find something else to do with your free time, because apparently the Colts offseason is just TOO MUCH for you to handle in a mature fashion...  :bossy: 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I guess you didn’t hear Ballard say that if not for his injury, Dayo would’ve been under consideration for the pick we used on Kwity.  We drafted a first round talent with our second round pick.  Ballard said Dayo was ranked higher than the tackles taken just before the Colts pick.  (Radunz, Cosmi,  Kittle).  In other words, they love the kid even if you don’t. 
 

As for “incompetence” there isn’t any.   Only in your mind.   When he lets someone go out the door, Ballard always know he can lose the player if the price isn’t right.   Tennessee offered Autry more guaranteed money in the second year than Ballard was comfortable with.  In other words, we were willing to lose the player.   We don’t rely on loyalty.   We encourage players to shop around so they know what they’re worth and Ballard always says any given player might be worth more to another team than he is to the Colts and he’s fine with that. 
 

There are a number of other posters who are not happy with the pick.  But I doubt anyone is flat out as angry as you are.  No one is attacking Ballard as you are.  You’d think our GM was still Ryan Grigson.   
 

If only you’d take a deep breath.... 

I really don't trust Ballard's evaluations at EDGE rusher. He hasn't hit on one yet in the draft. Paye is worth a 1st rounder and very well may be good for us. That's the first time he's taken a 1st round EDGE though and it should be easy. I have no problem with Paye besides taking him over Darrisaw (which bit us in the rear end in the 2nd round). 

 

Dayo being a 1st round pick is borderline ridiculous, and I started to watch Ballards press conference. When he said that, I paused it and stopped watching as I couldn't listen to anymore afterwards. He has a torn achilles. That should be a deal breaker right there. The fact that we lost Autry because of very little money and had to spend our 2nd rounder on Dayo without a 3rd rounder after taking Paye makes me mad. 

 

It is incompetance. Ballard lost a good player because of misguided loyalty and cheapness, then he has to spend a high pick to try and match the production of the player he lost. The added bonus is he tries to justify it by saying Dayo is higher rated than Cosmi and Radunz. No, you just missed out and got caught off-guard and are trying to explain it away by saying you like a panic move better. 

 

Don't buy he was a 1st round pick even if he didn't tear his achilles. Even so, the fact that he did tear his achilles and Ballard is drafting him in the 2nd to double down on a position is pure incompetance. We lose Autry, and we get a guy with a torn Achilles and get no net gain on day 2 of the draft. Oh yeah, we didn't even trade down and no LT.

 

When it comes to EDGE, Ballard has no credibility. Sorry, not sorry. It's just the truth. This is only going to enforce that and not change my mind. As I said in the post you facepalmed, I'll believe it when I see it with Paye and Dayo.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

They said the same thing about Blackmon. 

And Leonard the year before that and Stewart the year before that.  Every year Ballard makes a seemingly off the wall pick.  So far the previous three have panned out rather well so I don’t get why some are not willing to at least give this kid a shot?

 

PS remember the other night when I jokingly told you to save your fire Ballard for the mainevent?  I think we are there now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I really don't trust Ballard's evaluations at EDGE rusher. He hasn't hit on one yet in the draft. Paye is worth a 1st rounder and very well may be good for us. That's the first time he's taken a 1st round EDGE though and it should be easy. I have no problem with Paye besides taking him over Darrisaw (which bit us in the rear end in the 2nd round). 

 

Dayo being a 1st round pick is borderline ridiculous, and I started to watch Ballards press conference. When he said that, I paused it and stopped watching as I couldn't listen to anymore afterwards. He has a torn achilles. That should be a deal breaker right there. The fact that we lost Autry because of very little money and had to spend our 2nd rounder on Dayo without a 3rd rounder after taking Paye makes me mad. 

 

It is incompetance. Ballard lost a good player because of misguided loyalty and cheapness, then he has to spend a high pick to try and match the production of the player he lost. The added bonus is he tries to justify it by saying Dayo is higher rated than Cosmi and Radunz. No, you just missed out and got caught off-guard and are trying to explain it away by saying you like a panic move better. 

 

Don't buy he was a 1st round pick even if he didn't tear his achilles. Even so, the fact that he did tear his achilles and Ballard is drafting him in the 2nd to double down on a position is pure incompetance. We lose Autry, and we get a guy with a torn Achilles and get no net gain on day 2 of the draft. Oh yeah, we didn't even trade down and no LT.

 

When it comes to EDGE, Ballard has no credibility. Sorry, not sorry. It's just the truth. This is only going to enforce that and not change my mind. As I said in the post you facepalmed, I'll believe it when I see it with Paye and Dayo.

What was the point of you taking months off only to come back like this?   Worse than ever.

 

Ballard didn’t say Dayo is a first round player NOW!   He said Dayo WOULD HAVE BEEN if he had not been hurt.   Completely different. You’re so triggered you don’t even hear right.
 

I can’t say anymore, I don’t want to get suspended.    

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of people have said it but to summarize:

 

1) Dayo was on-track by many scouts and evaluators to be a 1st Rder

2) He likely would have lit up the Senior Bowl if he did not get hurt. if so, he would have been harder to get and would have evern further fit Ballard's profile and easily could have been in play at 1.21 as mentioned

3) The staff saying how nervous they were that he wouldn't last to pick 54 and how anxious they were shows he was the target. it was not just a pick made because of the OT run

 

That covers some highpoints on Dayo. Comparisons for him are all over the map. He is a unicorn. So long and yet still very talented hand use and some actual pass rush moves. The things Booger criticized the Paye pick over are the strengths of Dayo. The nfl.com profile compares him to Montez Sweat who half of our fan base is still bitter betty over us not taking when we had the chance. Also there was a scout noting his college film being similar to Chandler Jones.

 

As for OT:

 

1) Take a breath. AC got hurt and Holden did OK. Holden got hurt and we literally signed signed Veldheer off of his couch and he started 2 games including the playoffs for us and was OK. We will find a suitable answer.

 

2) Those folks bashing the Dayo pick due to his achilles injury but then saying we need to sign Eric Fisher are hypocrites. I have been beating the drum for Fisher as the guy I wanted most since the moment he was cut. Guess who tore their achilles in January? Eric Fisher. He tore it in the game on Jan 24th. Dayo's injury was being written about on January 24th. They basically got hurt the same time. Similar or same injury. Want to know when Fisher was being projected as possibly being ready? Before being cut the Chiefs were saying "Mid-August" (https://arrowheadaddict.com/2021/03/01/kc-chiefs-news-eric-fisher-injury-update-achilles-mid-august-return/). And when the Chiefs cut Fisher it was widely panned as a cap savings move to save $12M and help get under the cap w an injured guy commanding a big salary. Dayo may need to miss time. Heck he might even end up on the PUP list and miss 6 games or so. But there isn't a total certainty he will miss the entire year. 

 

In the end let everything play out before the sky is falling. I am pretty happy with the long term potential of our first two selections. Not to mention if they are even decent it then gives us some serious cost control at DL to off-set the contracts of Buckner and Stewart, which is a big win too. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

What was the point of you taking months off only to come back like this?   Worse than ever.

 

Ballard didn’t say Dayo is a first round player NOW!   He said Dayo WOULD HAVE BEEN if he had not been hurt.   Completely different. You’re so triggered you don’t even hear right.
 

I can’t say anymore, I don’t want to get suspended.    

 

I get that he doing a  little overreacting, but you are keep glossing over/downplaying the severity of the injury part.  So he's a bottom of the 1st round pick healthy and we grab him at #54 with a torn achilles.  This isn't an ACL or getting him in the 3rd (or later)... which I think a lot of people would have seen as more of a value risk/reward pick. But, we literally only dropped him 1/2 of a round for a torn Achilles; thats a lot more risk than reward IMO.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, esmort said:

 

I get that he doing a  little overreacting, but you are keep glossing over/downplaying the severity of the injury part.  So he's a bottom of the 1st round pick healthy and we grab him at #54 with a torn achilles.  This isn't an ACL or getting him in the 3rd (or later)... which I think a lot of people would have seen as more of a value risk/reward pick. But, we literally only dropped him 1/2 of a round for a torn Achilles; thats a lot more risk than reward IMO.

Just goes to show how much Ballard loved the guy

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, esmort said:

 

I get that he doing a  little overreacting, but you are keep glossing over/downplaying the severity of the injury part.  So he's a bottom of the 1st round pick healthy and we grab him at #54 with a torn achilles.  This isn't an ACL or getting him in the 3rd (or later)... which I think a lot of people would have seen as more of a value risk/reward pick. But, we literally only dropped him 1/2 of a round for a torn Achilles; thats a lot more risk than reward IMO.

Ballard clearly disagrees.   Said they sweated it out hoping he’d fall to them.  Said he was ranked higher than the tackles everyone was hoping they’d take. 
 

When Ballard said Dayo would’ve been in consideration for pick 21 had he been healthy, he’s saying he would’ve been ranked right around where Kwity was.    So, in his view, we hit a first rounder with pick 54.   He said he thinks the player is worth the pick.  
 

I wouldn’t expect to see the full player until 2022.   If we see him in 21, it’ll likely be as a situational player.  I wouldn’t expect more this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Just goes to show how much Ballard loved the guy

 

I guess...he better hope one of these 2 picks hit big or the "In Ballatd we trust" Fan club is going to start losing members and fans are going to start losing patience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

A lot of people have said it but to summarize:

 

1) Dayo was on-track by many scouts and evaluators to be a 1st Rder

2) He likely would have lit up the Senior Bowl if he did not get hurt. if so, he would have been harder to get and would have evern further fit Ballard's profile and easily could have been in play at 1.21 as mentioned

3) The staff saying how nervous they were that he wouldn't last to pick 54 and how anxious they were shows he was the target. it was not just a pick made because of the OT run

 

That covers some highpoints on Dayo. Comparisons for him are all over the map. He is a unicorn. So long and yet still very talented hand use and some actual pass rush moves. The things Booger criticized the Paye pick over are the strengths of Dayo. The nfl.com profile compares him to Montez Sweat who half of our fan base is still bitter betty over us not taking when we had the chance. Also there was a scout noting his college film being similar to Chandler Jones.

 

As for OT:

 

1) Take a breath. AC got hurt and Holden did OK. Holden got hurt and we literally signed signed Veldheer off of his couch and he started 2 games including the playoffs for us and was OK. We will find a suitable answer.

 

2) Those folks bashing the Dayo pick due to his achilles injury but then saying we need to sign Eric Fisher are hypocrites. I have been beating the drum for Fisher as the guy I wanted most since the moment he was cut. Guess who tore their achilles in January? Eric Fisher. He tore it in the game on Jan 24th. Dayo's injury was being written about on January 24th. They basically got hurt the same time. Similar or same injury. Want to know when Fisher was being projected as possibly being ready? Before being cut the Chiefs were saying "Mid-August" (https://arrowheadaddict.com/2021/03/01/kc-chiefs-news-eric-fisher-injury-update-achilles-mid-august-return/). And when the Chiefs cut Fisher it was widely panned as a cap savings move to save $12M and help get under the cap w an injured guy commanding a big salary. Dayo may need to miss time. Heck he might even end up on the PUP list and miss 6 games or so. But there isn't a total certainty he will miss the entire year. 

 

In the end let everything play out before the sky is falling. I am pretty happy with the long term potential of our first two selections. Not to mention if they are even decent it then gives us some serious cost control at DL to off-set the contracts of Buckner and Stewart, which is a big win too. 

Frankly what Ballard is saying without saying it is they would have taken this kid over the tackles had the tackles been there.  They got who they wanted.  Let’s remember that Ballard and his scouting department have spent months watching film on these guys and setting up this board.  How many of the would be GMs here can honestly say they have done anything close to that?  They are also well aware of the Colts need at tackle however, just because you need something doesn’t mean that player is available in the draft.
 

So rather than force a pick because he needed a tackle and hoped it worked out he took a guy who he really likes and also helps fill another major need.  Let’s not kid our selves had the Colts drafted a tackle and a corner let’s say, many of the same people screaming about the oline right now would be screaming about the lack of ends.  The Colts ends were not a strong point last year and they in all likely hood lost both starters in free agency and has been pointed out many times their replacements don’t seem to be on the roster.  The Colts needed major help at end.  When you factor in how good the rest of the oline is and how well they played after AC went out last year you can make a case the need at end was greater.  
 

Also as I have pointed out in the left tackle thread the Colts still have several other options they can turn to at tackle.  The “comfortable” option of spending a high draft pick on one is gone but that doesn’t mean there aren’t other options there.  I get it people like the idea of taking a tackle high because they should work out to be the answer and it makes you more comfortable with it.  The thing is if a guy isn’t there you feel has the talent to be the answer then drafting him isn’t going to help and as Ballard said last night is kinda like wasting two draft picks the pick you spent on him and the pick you ultimately have to spend to replace him.  
 

I am also seeing a lot of people saying something along the lines of I didn’t have him rated this high.  That’s nice that you have your own board, and I don’t mean this to sound like a jerk, your board doesn’t mean anything.  Neither do any of the other boards out there put together by “experts” the only board that matters is Ballard’s and he did have him ranked this high.  
 

Now does this mean all these things are going to work out?  No, of course not.  No GM is perfect and that includes Ballard but he has shown over four years that he’s right more than he’s wrong so maybe before rushing to judgement on draft night to condemn a pick we let it play out a little bit and see what the Colts do and more importantly what the kid can do on the field.  It wasn’t that long ago that many called Leonard the worst pick in the draft.  Now he’s a star.  There is a great video detailing this in another thread if you want to refresher.  I am not saying this kid will be Leonard good but honestly none of us know and none of us will know if he can play or not for a while so why don’t we wait and see? 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...