Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select DE Dayo Odeyingbo


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So you don't trade down, you double up on EDGE and don't take Basham or Perkins, and you take a 5th round guy in a panic move after the Tackles go in the 2nd? Oh, and I read in this thread he's not ready til October? I can't support this move, and I'm not sure I can support this team anymore. I could put up with FA as long as we made it up in the draft, but we're wasting draft picks now and not even getting any extra compensation. Screw Ballard for wasting my time, and wasting our draft picks.

 

Absolute nonsense. Oh, we don't have a 3rd rounder later and probably no 1st rounder next year. Again. Screw Ballard.

 

 

Please stop lol. You're killing me, Smalls. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every. Year.   Y'all need to breathe, lol

There wasn’t an OT available without reaching. Good on Ballard

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

is Taylor Lewan going to be an option? Wasn't he at LT for the titans, didnt they just take an LT? I feel like they took that OT in spite of us tbh. Might be a little homerism but I feel like teams definitely do that kinda thing. 

Titans are going to suck anyway next year so it's not going to matter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am currently running around my lounge banging my head on all five walls cursing the man we call ‘picker of trash’. I have set fire to all my Colts regalia (including my Tony Ugoh jersey) and I have emailed Bill Polian asking forgiveness for mocking his ‘great draft of the Centers’ in two thousand and bust. 
 

Note: my wife has pointed out that I can sometimes over react. But anyway, I am done with this team forever. Be good everyone.....

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So you don't trade down, you double up on EDGE and don't take Basham or Perkins, and you take a 5th round guy in a panic move after the Tackles go in the 2nd? Oh, and I read in this thread he's not ready til October? I can't support this move, and I'm not sure I can support this team anymore. I could put up with FA as long as we made it up in the draft, but we're wasting draft picks now and not even getting any extra compensation. Screw Ballard for wasting my time, and wasting our draft picks.

 

Absolute nonsense. Oh, we don't have a 3rd rounder later and probably no 1st rounder next year. Again. Screw Ballard.

 

 

9 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

I am currently running around my lounge banging my head on all five walls cursing the man we call ‘picker of trash’. I have set fire to all my Colts regalia (including my Tony Ugoh jersey) and I have emailed Bill Polian asking forgiveness for mocking his ‘great draft of the Centers’ in two thousand and bust. 
 

Note: my wife has pointed out that I can sometimes over react. But anyway, I am done with this team forever. Be good everyone.....

 

Well I guessed one thing right about this draft, Ballard was gonna make a pick that no one knew and people were gonna freak out about it. @NewColtsFan I believe you had the same prediction haha

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

That second play.  He literally slapped the RB down.  Love it

I coined his nickname earlier

The handy from vandy

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, austriancolt said:

1. Not a fan of moving Nelson or Smith, you just don't change what worked well over the last years.

2. Now down to Tevi, Davenport and a late round pick gives me Grigson vipes at the Tackle position.
We still lack quality depth all over the line. Have fun when someone like Nelson get's injured for some games. Hope Carson Wentz gets new shoes.

3. Drafting another DE that won't play because of injury while you claim to be in a win now mode. wth?

Only they don't lack depth on the line.... Holden, Davenport, Tevi, Pinter, are solid depth.  Only thing they lack is a starting LT..... I'm pretty sure Ballard is aware of this.  Also, I'd be shocked if Ertz isn't wearing blue soon.... He's got a couple good yrs left.   

 

Also, The only one who said anything about win now, or even alluded to it, was the owner..... Who admits he is an unabashed fanboy cheerleader.....

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

It should have read...

 

B.B. could well switch back to Linebacker where he played some at TCU. Beyond Leonard and Okereke we dont have another starter in the middle. We know neither Franklin nor Adams is a starter, Glasgow was drafted as a special team ace and E.J. Speed didnt progress at all last year. Position move for Ben may well be in the cards.....

You know they play 75% nickel sets right?  Most of the time there aren't three lbers on the field....  Walker played like 18 plays in the playoff game.  That's not a big need....

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I coined his nickname earlier

The handy from vandy


I respect a rhyming nickname as much as the next person...but that name sounds like something you would find in the urban dictionary.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

You know they play 75% nickel sets right?  Most of the time there aren't three lbers on the field....  Walker played like 18 plays in the playoff game.  That's not a big need....


I mean...need might be too strong...but they could certainly use it. And I don’t really know what Oke has shown that entrenches him as the unquestioned starting MIKE. Competition is a good thing. Perhaps we will see one tomorrow.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The one good thing about this pick is we now have a guy that can play 3 tech if Buckner gets hurt. I liked his interview.  He is a big dude.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shasta519 said:


I respect a rhyming nickname as much as the next person...but that name sounds like something you would find in the urban dictionary.

You the ‘masta, shasta’....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So you don't trade down, you double up on EDGE and don't take Basham or Perkins, and you take a 5th round guy in a panic move after the Tackles go in the 2nd? Oh, and I read in this thread he's not ready til October? I can't support this move, and I'm not sure I can support this team anymore. I could put up with FA as long as we made it up in the draft, but we're wasting draft picks now and not even getting any extra compensation. Screw Ballard for wasting my time, and wasting our draft picks.

 

Absolute nonsense. Oh, we don't have a 3rd rounder later and probably no 1st rounder next year. Again. Screw Ballard.

 

 

Dear God!?   Are you even following this?

 

On both ESPN and NFLN they’re saying scouts think Dayo would’ve been a first round guy, if not then close, if not for his injury.  
 

Dayo will likely be a situational player this year.   And a likely starter next year when we don’t have a first round pick. 
 

And people here don’t care that you have a different opinion from them.  They care that you act as if you know more than Chris Ballard and his staff.   I actually read your five reasons why Dayo is a bad pick.  And has Perkins even come off the board yet? 
 

If you would simply bother to wait for a few hours, read up and learn,  you might not end up in these moments time after time after time. 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ar7 said:

 

I don't hate the pick but there are two things that give me pause:

  1. Injury. Not everyone comes back from an achilles injury and gets back to where they were. Time will tell with Dayo but this alone makes it a risk. With say Julian Blackmon, last year, tore his ACL, there was some risk but plenty of guys return to form from ACL injuries. (though I certainly wasn't expecting Blackmon to return as quick as he did)
  2. Ceiling. Everyone has talked about the need for the Colts to improve their DE play/pass rush for years now...really going back to Robert Mathis. While I don't disagree with that I also think some guys have been sold short in that process. Sheard, Autry, and Houston all gave the Colts quality play. None were real difference makers though and I'm totally fine with the Colts moving on from those guys. I also think Lewis showed some good progress last year and gets unfairly written off as a bust by some. I also don't think he is a real difference maker. He can be a nice player to have in the rotation. With Dayo I don't know what his ceiling is. Can he be a game wrecker or is he more likely to be like what the Colts have had? I just hope the Colts didn't role the dice for depth by picking Dayo. 

 

Worth mentioning guys like Mathis don’t come around everyday.  The vast majority of players are not going to be difference makers and difference makers at end are the hardest thing to find besides QB in the NFL.  That’s why they get over drafted nearly every year (this was a rare year for that) so quality play can be a good thing today.  Like Big Joe said today there is a lot of room between bust and hall of farmer and when talking about draft picks fans tend to see it as either or.  If you get a guy who gives you solid play for four to five years that’s a good pick.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

You know they play 75% nickel sets right?  Most of the time there aren't three lbers on the field....  Walker played like 18 plays in the playoff game.  That's not a big need....

It is a need that needs to be filled by someone and the better that someone the more they can play that set, you cant have someone just plug in or you will be exposed. B.B. may be the fit....

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Four2itus said:

How many times, do fans have to see that good GMs draft for the future, and fans think that GM's should draft for this upcoming season?

 

Why?

 

 

Exactly!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Ballard officially suffers from Smartest Guy in the Room Syndrome. 

So says the fans who think they know more than a NFL general manager.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God!?   Are you even following this?

 

On both ESPN and NFLN they’re saying scouts think Dayo would’ve been a first round guy, if not then close, if not for his injury.  
 

Dayo will likely be a situational player this year.   And a likely starter next year when we don’t have a first round pick. 
 

And people here don’t care that you have a different opinion from them.  They care that you act as if you know more than Chris Ballard and his staff.   I actually read your five reasons why Dayo is a bad pick.  And has Perkins even come off the board yet? 
 

If you would simply bother to wait for a few hours, read up and learn,  you might not end up in these moments time after time after time. 

 

Perkins just went to NE lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Worth mentioning guys like Mathis don’t come around everyday.  The vast majority of players are not going to be difference makers and difference makers at end are the hardest thing to find besides QB in the NFL.  That’s why they get over drafted nearly every year (this was a rare year for that) so quality play can be a good thing today.  Like Big Joe said today there is a lot of room between bust and hall of farmer and when talking about draft picks fans tend to see it as either or.  If you get a guy who gives you solid play for four to five years that’s a good pick.  

 

I think you make good points and I don't disagree with what you said.

 

I guess what I was trying to get at is the Colts have had some productive DE play and improving it has still been a need. If the Colts are going to take the next step (win the division, go further in the playoffs) they will need more than solid play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ar7 said:

 

I think you make good points and I don't disagree with what you said.

 

I guess what I was trying to get at is the Colts have had some productive DE play and improving it has still been a need. If the Colts are going to take the next step (win the division, go further in the playoffs) they will need more than solid play.

That’s fair.  Time will tell if these guys can develop into that or not but even if they are just solid they could still be good picks. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, austriancolt said:

 

If you can't handle different opinions you probably shouldn't post in a forum, sorry but this is laughable and someone could argue that there are a lot of people just celebrating everything, If Ballard drafts a dead squirrel with his first round pick we still would hear "In Ballard we trust", "What a great pick!" from some of you. Ballard is a great GM no doubt but it's okay to question some of his decisions and it's okay to not agree with everything from a fan view. 

If I may chime in... I don't think it's bad at all to question Ballard. He isn't perfect. But I also don't blame anyone for choosing to have some faith and wait this one out. His track record is still more hit than miss and it's not like this offseason is over. I had a very similar reaction with Blackmon last year as I do this year. It’s a little worse this year but I don't feel it's fair to chalk this one down as a true negative just yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, funktacious2 said:

If I may chime in... I don't think it's bad at all to question Ballard. He isn't perfect. But I also don't blame anyone for choosing to have some faith and wait this one out. His track record is still more hit than miss and it's not like this offseason is over. I had a very similar reaction with Blackmon last year as I do this year. It’s a little worse this year but I don't feel it's fair to chalk this one down as a true negative just yet. 

Just building on this.  It’s perfectly fair to question Ballard.  It’s premature to do so just because you don’t like someone the team picked and the guy hasn’t signed his contract yet let alone play a snap in any kind of NFL game.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ballard has a horrible track record of 2nd round EDGE rushers. There is no reason to trust this pick when you combine all 5 things.


Ballard’s track record of 2nd round edge rushers is that one had a major injury, one has been a late developer but promising, and one was a major project from day 1 that hasn’t even been on the field. 
 

Turay was the highest graded pff pass rusher when he got injured in 2019. This is a big year for him. Lewis has gotten much better over the course of his career. Banagou is nonexistent. 
 

Pass rushers take time to develop. By continuing to add young, extremely athletic guys to the mix, indicates this front office understands the need and that looking longterm, D-line is the focal point for this defense. The development of all of these guys, including Turay and Lewis (I’m nearly out on banogou), is important. What happens come September if Paye comes in and plays exceptional as a rookie, Lewis plays like a starting defensive end, Turay proves he can stay healthy and be an effective pass rusher, and Stewart/Buckner dominate the interior? All of a sudden, this defensive line and front 7 with Okereke and All pro Leonard is one of the best in the league. And they are all still very young, meaning we have pieces in place for years to come. Then you throw a 2nd round athlete in the mix that isn’t expected nor needed to come in and perform, just get healthy and develop... and potentially develops into a stud that can move across the line in a versatile role. With development, this defensive line could be set for years. It all comes down to what this coaching staff can do with these guysz

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s fair.  Time will tell if these guys can develop into that or not but even if they are just solid they could still be good picks. 

All of Ballard's d line picks have been bums.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s the problem with the Ballard is horrible with edge rusher theory.  It only takes getting one right to change that.  Remember when the Lions were horrible at drafting WRs and then they took Megatron and all of the sudden they weren’t horrible at drafting WRs anymore.  

Just now, Iron Colt said:

All of Ballard's d line picks have been bums.

Yeah that had nothing to do with what we were discussing but keep ranting.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

Look how fast they got the pick in......they wanted him badly.

I suspect that had less to do with Dayo and more to do with all the "2nd round OTs" being gone

 

I have to think a big part of Tennessee's decision to pick Radunz was to prevent the Colts from getting him

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

Floor - Denico Autry

Ceiling - Malik Jackson

If Dayo turns out like Malik Jackson, and Paye is like a Elvis Dumervil, this would be a home run.  Imagine a Dumervil, Jackson, and Buckner defensive line.  I'm tired of QBs getting comfy and picking us apart.  If we didn't build up OT for a WR or S, I'd be *, but as long as the high picks keep going towards the trenches, I'm quite pleased.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This draft so far looks underwhelming for the Colts from my perspective. First round pick is a player with low production in college, despite his athletic abilities, not a safe pick for a first rounder, needs way too much coaching. Second rounder is a redshirt player, good physical traits, a lot of promise, but again, a lot of uncertainties.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CR91 said:

I called doubling down on at edge. 

What a joke.. Colts need  OL, CB and they take a player that by all accounts will not play this year... In the 2nd round with no 3rd round pick....wow  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:


Ballard’s track record of 2nd round edge rushers is that one had a major injury, one has been a late developer but promising, and one was a major project from day 1 that hasn’t even been on the field. 
 

Turay was the highest graded pff pass rusher when he got injured in 2019. This is a big year for him. Lewis has gotten much better over the course of his career. Banagou is nonexistent. 
 

Pass rushers take time to develop. By continuing to add young, extremely athletic guys to the mix, indicates this front office understands the need and that looking longterm, D-line is the focal point for this defense. The development of all of these guys, including Turay and Lewis (I’m nearly out on banogou), is important. What happens come September if Paye comes in and plays exceptional as a rookie, Lewis plays like a starting defensive end, Turay proves he can stay healthy and be an effective pass rusher, and Stewart/Buckner dominate the interior? All of a sudden, this defensive line and front 7 with Okereke and All pro Leonard is one of the best in the league. And they are all still very young, meaning we have pieces in place for years to come. Then you throw a 2nd round athlete in the mix that isn’t expected nor needed to come in and perform, just get healthy and develop... and potentially develops into a stud that can move across the line in a versatile role. With development, this defensive line could be set for years. It all comes down to what this coaching staff can do with these guysz

All 3 are busts so far, whether it be due to injury or lack of production. Lewis and Turay are in the last year of their contracts. Banogu got benched for all but one game last year. It has nothing to do with time to develop. They are most likely just busts. The fact that Ballard drafted back-to-back EDGE rushers in the first two rounds in a draft where we have no 3rd rounder proves I'm right and he's trying to make up for three busts. Quit trying to defend everything he does. By your definition of a bust, someone has to be out of the league to be a bust.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...