Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select DE Dayo Odeyingbo

Maybe Dayo is our 1st round 2022 drafft choice we don't have. Hopefully he gets some time this year but 2022 may be his big breakout year. His highlights are spectacular!

• Like 2
  • Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every. Year.   Y'all need to breathe, lol

There wasn’t an OT available without reaching. Good on Ballard

3 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Maybe Dayo is our 1st round 2022 drafft choice we don't have. Hopefully he gets some time this year but 2022 may be his big breakout year. His highlights are spectacular!

Yep I saw a podcast mention this.  This team is pretty stacked. They could take the luxury of doing this. Bonus if he is back by oct.

8 hours ago, Nickster said:

Maybe even Achilles man.   Does anyone know of advancements here?  Used to be sports death sentence.

ACL was in my days. Tore mine as a HS soph and they didn't know what it was, thought it was just cartilige damage. Later around the 60s I think they diagnosed it as an ACL which was a kiss of death. Now I wouldn't call it routine but it is very successful surgury.

On 5/1/2021 at 2:56 PM, coming on strong said:

i agree i think turray and lewis both get trashed for no reason on here just because they did not develop like darius leonard and be a all pro his first year .   pass rushers and corners take the most time to hit their ceiling .  Lewis last year took a huge step forward all the coaches raved about him he played great in limited snaps getting pressure its not just about sacks .   turray flashed in 2019 and even last year towards the end of the season even though he wasnt fully healthy .   both lewis and turray will have breakouts and i think ben has a mild break out to the point he can at least be a good back up and play more .

I'm excited for their development.  Fans at times put too much expectations on our players shoulders.  It is unrealistic and unfair to think we'll have 24 pro bowlers between offense and defense on the field at once, hell even on the team at once

On 5/1/2021 at 11:21 AM, danlhart87 said:

I watched his tape and he's very good I'm psyched about him 

What games did you see, and like?

The more tape I watch on the kid, the more I am excited by this pick

Great attitude

Great takeoff

Great size and speed combination

Just learning how to use his arm length

He may not be fully back until 2022

But if he is healthy, we got a 1st round talent at the back end of the 2nd

He had multiple double teams in some of the tape I watched (He was the only real talent on the DL, it appeared)

Can you imagine a line of Buckner, Paye, and Dayo?

Who do you double team....????

This is going to be fun to watch the next few years

• Like 6
33 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Great attitude

Great takeoff

He had multiple double teams in some of the tape I watched (He was the only real talent on the DL, it appeared)

Yeah the LSU game in particular was crazy, and it wasn’t that he was just doubled teamed, LSU deliberately run the football to the opposite side he was lined up on.

I think he has terrific upside as a power rusher. Particularly on the interior. On the very, very rare occasions he got a 1v1 on a guard in a passing down, he got straight through on the QB easily. He still has work to do with his hands and play with more consistent leverage, but I think he is dude. No doubt.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Great attitude

Great takeoff

I was a huge fan of his film and he was a favorite of mine early in the process. Some guys just pop on the tape and he really does. The best part about him is that he's that good with as unrefined as he is. He has such a high ceiling and a pretty high floor as well (injury recovery aside). This is going to be a really mean DL and if Turay and/or Banagu break out this season....

200.gif

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Shive said:

I was a huge fan of his film and he was a favorite of mine early in the process. Some guys just pop on the tape and he really does. The best part about him is that he's that good with as unrefined as he is. He has such a high ceiling and a pretty high floor as well (injury recovery aside). This is going to be a really mean DL and if Turay and/or Banagu break out this season....

200.gif

He was double teamed on almost every play

Give him some time with the coaches and some strength building

This kid will be a monster,,,,,,

• Like 5

The pronunciation of Dayo Odeyingbo may have already been posted:

But, at 1:21, he says his name if you want to hear him pronounce his own name.

This is on youtube with title of Anchoring Down with Dayo Odeyingbo

• Like 1
8 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

He was double teamed on almost every play

Give him some time with the coaches and some strength building

This kid will be a monster,,,,,,

My favorite pass rusher from our draft. He plays with violence. When healthy, he will be a problem.  Here’s an excellent film room by Colts Law...

https://youtu.be/z0S3LwuOqf8

• Like 2

Paye has a quick motor and relentless pursuit and should excel in the NFL.  Dayo on the other hand from watching game tapes just seemed slow off the LOS constantly and gave up on too many plays chasing the ball carrier.  I did see where Dayo was double teamed often and held in check making it difficult for him to win and apply QB pressure.  With Dayo's injury and lack of motor/chase skill-set I didn't even have him on my draft big board.  

7 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Paye has a quick motor and relentless pursuit and should excel in the NFL.  Dayo on the other hand from watching game tapes just seemed slow off the LOS constantly and gave up on too many plays chasing the ball carrier.  I did see where Dayo was double teamed often and held in check making it difficult for him to win and apply QB pressure.  With Dayo's injury and lack of motor/chase skill-set I didn't even have him on my draft big board.  

I hate to disagree with another Colts fan, but I think we are watching different players

Lack of motor? 

Slow off the LOS? 

The kid has great burst, (What I watch as well as what scouts say) and many scouts believed that he was a first round talent.

The injury did hold him back, but there is MUCH to work with when he is healthy

I hope we are both happy with the finished product

• Like 1

Anyone feel like Dayo has a higher ceiling than Kwity? I do. They are both incomplete, but he just seems more violent early in his rush. Strong *** arms. If he learns the moves, he's lethal. Plays inside & out. Imagine us bringing him along to close out the season. Even if he can't break out this season, he'll at least add to our rotation. Our rush "deteriorating" late killed us. I'm realizing why edge was higher priority than tackle in a win now mode. I think a vet will be just fine by Q.

• Like 1
On 5/2/2021 at 9:20 PM, hoosierhawk said:

Wow this is a great point that I didn't think about! We probably figured that we wouldn't be picking anywhere close enough to acquire his type of talent. Especially at a position we covet.

36 minutes ago, 07dleigh said:

Anyone feel like Dayo has a higher ceiling than Kwity? I do. They are both incomplete, but he just seems more violent early in his rush. Strong *** arms. If he learns the moves, he's lethal. Plays inside & out. Imagine us bringing him along to close out the season. Even if he can't break out this season, he'll at least add to our rotation. Our rush "deteriorating" late killed us. I'm realizing why edge was higher priority than tackle in a win now mode. I think a vet will be just fine by Q.

They both could be REALLY good.......

I still like Paye a bit better, but anything could happen

33 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I hate to disagree with another Colts fan, but I think we are watching different players

Lack of motor? 

Slow off the LOS? 

The kid has great burst, (What I watch as well as what scouts say) and many scouts believed that he was a first round talent.

The injury did hold him back, but there is MUCH to work with when he is healthy

I hope we are both happy with the finished product

I can agree with the quoted poster that there were plays at times where Dayo wasn't in full on pursuit mode. If a run made it past the line, he often seemed to just jog along, but usually wasn't actively pursuing. It seemed like if he thought a teammate was making the tackle, he was ok with being a bystander instead of ensuring the play was made.

At some points, it looked like he was just gassed, which the constant double-teams probably didn't help (also why he may look slow off the line at times). It could be more of a conditioning issue than effort, especially since he was consistently giving high effort off the line.

An example from the LSU game (starts at the play):

I don't think any perceived pursuit or effort concerns will be an issue at the pro level. It definitely helps that he'll be surrounded by players that are as good as or better than him instead of him being the lone star player.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Shive said:

At some points, it looked like he was just gassed, which the constant double-teams probably didn't help (also why he may look slow off the line at times). It could be more of a conditioning issue than effort, especially since he was consistently giving high effort off the line.

Some of those came early in the LSU game. That was the first game I watched, and it started me off with a less than enthusiastic impression of him. Overall, I'm not worried about it, he shows plenty of effort and finish throughout that game, but those first few plays weren't his best work, IMO.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Superman said:

Some of those came early in the LSU game. That was the first game I watched, and it started me off with a less than enthusiastic impression of him. Overall, I'm not worried about it, he shows plenty of effort and finish throughout that game, but those first few plays weren't his best work, IMO.

This was the worst one I saw as far as effort off the line:

Never actually got into his stance and was the last one off the line, then just threw his shoulder into the lineman. That looks to be 100% from being exhausted. I'm not worried either. I think he'll thrive within our defense and benefit from the extra attention guys like Buckner command, as well as the NFL level strength and conditioning program.

18 minutes ago, Shive said:

This was the worst one I saw as far as effort off the line:

Never actually got into his stance and was the last one off the line, then just threw his shoulder into the lineman. That looks to be 100% from being exhausted. I'm not worried either. I think he'll thrive within our defense and benefit from the extra attention guys like Buckner command, as well as the NFL level strength and conditioning program.

I'll trust Eberflus and his Loaf system to correct this if needed.   

• Like 1

Think the Colts bottom line lacks proven depth at our Edges to an extent.  I do think that Paye, Buckner, Stewart, and Muhammad will be the starters and Turay when healthy flashed real potential in rotations.  After that we don't have proven rotational guys on the edges and Ben is going to be a FA in 2023, assuming we let him go, plus Turay will be a FA next off-season.  It makes sense for the Colts to beef up their DL since we failed to do so in the past few off-seasons and appears we didn't draft that well either. 

Depending on how well Wentz plays and which round we start off our draft I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts targeted another top DE.  My early draft projections favorites for DE are Myjai Sanders (Cincinnati), Aidan Hutchinson (Michigan) and George Karlaftis (Purdue).  If we had to sign one FA DE next season I would consider Uchenna Nwosu (Chargers).

1 hour ago, OhioColt said:

Think the Colts bottom line lacks proven depth at our Edges to an extent.  I do think that Paye, Buckner, Stewart, and Muhammad will be the starters and Turay when healthy flashed real potential in rotations.  After that we don't have proven rotational guys on the edges and Ben is going to be a FA in 2023, assuming we let him go, plus Turay will be a FA next off-season.  It makes sense for the Colts to beef up their DL since we failed to do so in the past few off-seasons and appears we didn't draft that well either. 

Depending on how well Wentz plays and which round we start off our draft I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts targeted another top DE.  My early draft projections favorites for DE are Myjai Sanders (Cincinnati), Aidan Hutchinson (Michigan) and George Karlaftis (Purdue).  If we had to sign one FA DE next season I would consider Uchenna Nwosu (Chargers).

My thoughts on the DL.

• Starting game one
    • vs the run: Lewis / Buckner / Stewart / AQM or Rochell
    • vs the pass: Paye / Rochell / Buckner / Lewis
  • Starting by mid season
    • vs the run: Paye / Buckner / Stewart / Lewis
    • vs the pass: Turay / Lewis / Buckner / Paye

It would be nice to see Turay turn into a 3 down guy, but I think it's more likely Paye becomes a 3 down sooner.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, stitches said:

You guys better make this call a thing when Dayo (and the fans) return to the stadium...  :D 

It just bothers me that it's pronounced DIE-yo.

5 hours ago, stitches said:

You guys better make this call a thing when Dayo (and the fans) return to the stadium...  :D 

They already do play that at LOS...or at least they used to. Now they have a player to attach it to.

53 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The rookies are doing interviews this morning. Not sure what to think about Dayo saying this. It sounds like another Banogu.

That's not uncommon at all. Most HS players play both ways and often don't play the position they end up playing in college. If it wasn't until his senior year in college that he played on the DL, that would be a red flag.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After the draft I like to look for other draftniks evaluations from other teams perspective so as not to be too much of a homer. This analysis by Tampa Bay folks is a pretty good watch about Dayo. It's a good breakdown of his versatility, awareness and hand technique!