Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jones and Fields Catch 22

I wanna discuss Justin Fields and Mac Jones

Fields has all the potential in the world to become a flat out all star but the problem is Chicago is where QBs go to die.

The coaching and ineptitude of Chicago Bears could ruin Fields 

Jones on the other hand has a limited skill set but has great coaching that could help him out tremendously. 

How do you see this playing out?

It will be up to Matt Nagy and Bill Belichick, how they want to bring those 2 along so that they are ready to hit the ground running when they get their turn. It will also be up to their Ds to reduce pressure on their QBs. 

The Bears lost a few key pieces on their D and I have more faith in Belichick to reduce the pressure on his QBs with good defensive support and special teams thus leaning towards Mac Jones being more successful in the short term. Long term, it might even out if the Bears keep adding talent.

At least the Patriots added Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry and Agholor in the offseason. What did the Bears do outside losing more key pieces than adding? Short term, definitely Mac Jones to me.

24 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I wanna discuss Justin Fields and Mac Jones

Fields has all the potential in the world to become a flat out all star but the problem is Chicago is where QBs go to die.

The coaching and ineptitude of Chicago Bears could ruin Fields 

Jones on the other hand has a limited skill set but has great coaching that could help him out tremendously. 

How do you see this playing out?

I don’t see why you say that about Chicago and QB’s. I would say they never drafted well or went after guys that weren’t the best. (Cutler didn’t have the best attitude and work ethic). Fields has the ability to come in and learn and force the start over Dalton. This pushes both of them IMO. Short term I see him struggling but still playing next year. 

Why do you say Jones has a limited skill set? Because he isn’t a running QB? He is extremely accurate and can move around the pocket to bide time and has enough arm strength to make the NFL throws. I said it back in January that Jones and the Patriots would be a perfect fit and I still believe it to be true. Jones has the best long term IMO because the system he is in. 

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

I don’t see why you say that about Chicago and QB’s. I would say they never drafted well or went after guys that weren’t the best. (Cutler didn’t have the best attitude and work ethic). Fields has the ability to come in and learn and force the start over Dalton. This pushes both of them IMO. Short term I see him struggling but still playing next year. 

Why do you say Jones has a limited skill set? Because he isn’t a running QB? He is extremely accurate and can move around the pocket to bide time and has enough arm strength to make the NFL throws. I said it back in January that Jones and the Patriots would be a perfect fit and I still believe it to be true. Jones has the best long term IMO because the system he is in. 

Jones is my favorite QB in this class actually and before the Colts got Wentz I was actively pushing for the Colts to go after him.

13 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Jones is my favorite QB in this class actually and before the Colts got Wentz I was actively pushing for the Colts to go after him.

I remember that. 

And I said I didn't want Jones and wanted Wentz even before he actually became available. 

None of us thought Wilson or Fields would drop to  11 and no way we coulda moved up to get them. 

But in hindsight 10/11 was maybe doable.. I would've preferred Fields over Wentz but feel colts very fortunate the Eagles parted ways with him.

I've been on record here multiple times that I don't like Matt Nagy as a coach and don't think he's anywhere close to being the "offensive genius" that he tends to be billed as. Fields is a great prospect for him to prove me wrong. I just doubt that he will.

Mac on the other hand will flourish in the Patriots' system. They literally just need to dust off the Brady playbook and he'll be comfortable.

Archived