Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wentz and Paye

Nickster

These two choices this off season will determine whether or not Chris Ballard's plan works.  Wentz will be relatively cheap, and Paye on a rookie contract will open up money for the non premium position studs we have.

Make or break off season IMO. 

I think we can hide a LT as long as he's reasonably competent.  If they don't pick one at 2, they must be planning on sliding Q.  To me that would be the best case scenario.  Since Q will demand LT money, it would be ideal for him to play LT instead of LG.  Q would be the undisputed greatest lineman of all time IMO if he were an All Pro LT for couple of years, not saying I really have an opinion if he could be or not, but like Wooderson said, "It'd be a lot cooler if he did."

If either of these guys bust, I think CB will be out the door in a couple of years.

8 minutes ago, Nickster said:

These two choices this off season will determine whether or not Chris Ballard's plan works.  Wentz will be relatively cheap, and Paye on a rookie contract will open up money for the non premium position studs we have.

I think we can hide a LT as long as he's reasonably competent.  If they don't pick one at 2, they must be planning on sliding Q.  To me that would be the best case scenario.  Since Q will demand LT money, it would be ideal for him to play LT instead of LG.  Q would be the undisputed greatest lineman of all time IMO if he were an All Pro LT for couple of years, not saying I really have an opinion if he could be or not, bike like Wooderson said, "It'd be a lot cooler if he did."

If either of these guys bust, I think CB will be out the door in a couple of years.

I agreed right up to the last point. Maybe if both of them bust out his seat gets warm but even then, I’m not so sure

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I agreed right up to the last point. Maybe if both of them bust out his seat gets warm but even then, I’m not so sure

I think we'd be in salary cap Hell and still without Edge and QB.  That would be pretty rough IMO.  I can't see how we could make that work.

I don’t think it’s a make or break off season. Ballard  even recently said, the  Colts aren’t there yet. Meaning SB contenders. There’s still work to do. A lot moving forward with Colts depends heavily on Wentz though. 

9 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I don’t think it’s a make or break off season. Ballard  even recently said, the  Colts aren’t there yet. Meaning SB contenders. There’s still work to do. A lot moving forward with Colts depends heavily on Wentz though. 

9 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I more mean a make or break draft.  Make or break off season. I don't mean we need to have defining success this season.

15 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I think we'd be in salary cap Hell and still without Edge and QB.  That would be pretty rough IMO.  I can't see how we could make that work.

Nah,  not even close. Plus if Wentz does flop, we have an easy out in 2022 with minimal damage. That said, I’m not a fan of the Wentz trade

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Nah,  not even close. Plus if Wentz does flop, we have an easy out in 2022 with minimal damage. That said, I’m not a fan of the Wentz trade

Well if we sign Q, Leonard, Smith, etc. and had no QB or edge guy, we'd be in trouble.  I really can't see an arugument against it.  Pitt and JT would be coming up for pay raises and hopefully PC, and whomever plays LT assuming it's not Q.

17 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Is that avatar you?  It looks just like long time Mater Dei (Evansville) football and wrestling coaching legend Mike Goebel when he coached at Castle HS in the mid-70s.

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Is that avatar you?  It looks just like long time Mater Dei (Evansville) football and wrestling coaching legend Mike Goebel when he coached at Castle HS in the mid-70s.

Lol No, not me. I’ll let you figure out who it is. Some on the Forum already know and you’ll get a chuckle. He’s my hero. 

24 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I more mean a make or break draft.  Make or break off season. I don't mean we need to have defining success this season.

I would say like this.  If he keeps having bad years in odd numbered years offset by good years in even number years, we're never going to be good enough to beat the good teams in the playoffs.  It might take a while to sink in with the fan base, but that's where we'll be.

This is an odd numbered year.

20 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Well if we sign Q, Leonard, Smith, etc. and had no QB or edge guy, we'd be in trouble.  I really can't see an arugument against it.  Pitt and JT would be coming up for pay raises and hopefully PC, and whomever plays LT assuming it's not Q.

I agree but that’s how it is for every GM and coach.  He has picked his QB and he has two pieces for his DL and OL and a great LB and RB to build around.  There is his core.  This is the group CB is tying his legacy to and if it flops he is out.  It won’t tho. This is a darn good group.  Man I’m excited to be a Colts fan.  This is going to be a tough team to beat!!

2 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I agree but that’s how it is for every GM and coach.  He has picked his QB and he has two pieces for his DL and OL and a great LB and RB to build around.  There is his core.  This is the group CB is tying his legacy to and if it flops he is out.  It won’t tho. This is a darn good group.  Man I’m excited to be a Colts fan.  This is going to be a tough team to beat!!

Not every team has needs at all of the outside positions and expensive guys in the interior

But you build a team inside out.  Not a lot of star power on the outside but enough players there to count on good production. I see CB more of an issue than WR. We have three promising young receivers and one of them will become the #1 and another will become a good starter.  We need a playmaker in the secondary.  Protect the QB, Get after their QB and take the ball away to give it back to your QB.  That’s how you win.  I think this is a great core but if it doesn’t work, Ballard and/or Reich will be out. No excuses...there are enough pieces here to win the division. They have to produce now. 

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Not every team has needs at all of the outside positions and expensive guys in the interior

You’re really grasping at thin air here bud. Every team has holes somewhere, it doesn’t matter where those holes are. Some are bigger holes than others but rarely is a team stacked at every position. Even the Peyton led teams and even the Tom Brady teams that won super bowls had holes that could have been improved on or filled. It’s part of it.

I for one am gonna sit back and see how things unfold vs worrying about what “May” happen to Ballard two or three years from now

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

You’re really grasping at thin air here bud. Every team has holes somewhere, it doesn’t matter where those holes are. Some are bigger holes than others but rarely is a team stacked at every position. Even the Peyton led teams and even the Tom Brady teams that won super bowls had holes that could have been improved on or filled. It’s part of it.

I for one am gonna sit back and see how things unfold vs worrying about what “May” happen to Ballard two or three years from now

Uh huh.  What holes did Brady's teams have?  No cause to worry brother.  Feel free to continue responding to this topic on what "may" happen in the future though. Cause if you don't, then you won't have anything to post about until the games start and then you could report what happened in the games.

Just now, shasta519 said:

Wentz is much more make or break than Paye. But Paye now is tied to that...because he’s the pick they made that could have been Fields. 

Of course the QB is more, but we can't keep failing to get production out of our EDGE picks.  I think Paye is critical.  We have lots of major, difficult to fill holes.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

I think we can hide a LT as long as he's reasonably competent.  If they don't pick one at 2, they must be planning on sliding Q.  To me that would be the best case scenario.  Since Q will demand LT money, it would be ideal for him to play LT instead of LG.  Q would be the undisputed greatest lineman of all time IMO if he were an All Pro LT for couple of years, not saying I really have an opinion if he could be or not, but like Wooderson said, "It'd be a lot cooler if he did."

Doubt that Ballard will be on the Hot Seat anytime soon. The colts don't go by the league salary cap BUT more a internal cap.... and so far Ballard has saved Irsay money while still being usually competitive.  Not Super Bowl competitive but competitive enough to be average to playoff contenders. 

The colts showed that they could play versus Buffalo and actually should have won the game. The next logical step you would think after very luckily having Wentz, a recent franchise QB, fall in their lap would be to "go for it"(super bowl). You would think they would have spent $ and acquire a Edge, a vertical TE, maybe a decent LT so we wouldn't need to draft one and then focus on draft to get playmaking WR, CB, a LB to replace Walker....etc.

But we were mostly inactive in FA and except for Wentz were  not as good as when the season ended. Losing Grover, Walker, Castonzo, etc....

Were hoping Paye is better than what we already have but can you say for sure if Paye will be better than Turay/Lewis, especially as a rookie?

It would have been nice to use the Draft as way to help us get to the top but instead we're hoping it can fill our needs. 

9 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Doubt that Ballard will be on the Hot Seat anytime soon. The colts don't go by the league salary cap BUT more a internal cap.... and so far Ballard has saved Irsay money while still being usually competitive.  Not Super Bowl competitive but competitive enough to be average to playoff contenders. 

The colts showed that they could play versus Buffalo and actually should have won the game. The next logical step you would think after very luckily having Wentz, a recent franchise QB, fall in their lap would be to "go for it"(super bowl). You would think they would have spent $ and acquire a Edge, a vertical TE, maybe a decent LT so we wouldn't need to draft one and then focus on draft to get playmaking WR, CB, a LB to replace Walker....etc.

But we were mostly inactive in FA and except for Wentz were  not as good as when the season ended. Losing Grover, Walker, Castonzo, etc....

Were hoping Paye is better than what we already have but can you say for sure if Paye will be better than Turay/Lewis, especially as a rookie?

It would have been nice to use the Draft as way to help us get to the top but instead we're hoping it can fill our needs. 

Yes the point of my thread is that  the future of this team is going to be determined ini large part by the play of Wentz and Paye.

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Yes the point of my thread is that  the future of this team is going to be determined by the play of Wentz and Paye.

I think it's on Wentz because he's the QB and QB is the All Mighty Most important position in sports and the hardest to acquire. 

Paye, to me, is just a DE drafted in the latter third of the first round.

And there are plenty late first rounders that aren't difference makers. 

As I said above, I would have preferred to fill the Edge in the off season and used #21 to get or move up to get a playmaker. 

I think the future success of Paye is Turay. If Turay does become what we hope after that second off season surgery, Paye will be seen as a solid DE who can set the edge, stop the run and is a decent pass rusher. If we need him to be a dominant pass rusher and judge him that way down the line, I think we might be disappointed. 

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Wentz is much more make or break than Paye. But Paye now is tied to that...because he’s the pick they made that could have been Fields. 

Or looking at it this way, Paye is the pick that could have gone to help Wentz via Darrisaw.

I'll keep mentioning that whenever Wentz gets criticized for getting sacked, and I'll equate Ballard to Grigson in not addressing the oline properly.

The blame game can always go in multiple directions.

Archived