Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

EDGE run, and why Ballard's Paye pick was genius position-wise in round 1

I'm sure a lot of people have already figured out that Kwity Paye is a solid pick, and it's probably due to position scarcity we didn't go Darrisaw in round 1. Lets dig a bit deeper though and look at round 1. There were 6 EDGE rushers (starting with pick 18). Ballard was able to get the 2nd one off the board at 21? Did he start an EDGE run? Lets look.

Pick 18 Dolphins.) Jaelen Phillips

Pick 21 Colts.) Kwity Paye

Pick 28 Saints.) Payton Turner

Pick 30 Bills.) Gregory Rousseau

Pick 31 Ravens.) Jayson Oweh

Pick 32 Bucs.) Joe Tryon

6 EDGE rushers went off the board at 18 or after in the 1st round. So basically, Ballard beat the trend and stayed of the curve. This allowed guys at the same position to be taken afterward and open up other players to fall to us in the 2nd round. It gets even better. All the teams that pick before us (besides the Dolphins) in the 2nd round hadn't taken an EDGE rusher yet, so we could literally see around 5 more EDGE rushers go off the board to teams in the first half of the 2nd round. Azeez Ojulari is still there, Ronnie Perkins, Carlos Basham and more. All we have to do is have one OT fall to us and this is a dream first two picks. Lot of talent fell in the 2nd round, and Ballard started a run on the EDGE position and I think that will continue tonight in Round 2 early on.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I loved seeing the way the draft fell for us lastnight. If the draft trend continues in favor of the Colts and all the stars align we "may" be able to move back a few spots and still grab one of the top 4 remaining OT's & top 3 TE's (possibly) or a very capable WR.

There are still 4 OT's, 3 TE's , 6 WR's & 3 CB's on my Colts board that could very well be starters for us if we are able to grab a couple tonight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

I loved seeing the way the draft fell for us lastnight. If the draft trend continues in favor of the Colts and all the stars align we "may" be able to move back a few spots and still grab one of the top 4 remaining OT's & top 3 TE's (possibly) or a very capable WR.

There are still 4 OT's, 3 TE's , 6 WR's & 3 CB's on my Colts board that could very well be starters for us if we are able to grab a couple tonight. 

What do I know, I just have a Scrabble board and a carrom board. :) 

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm sure a lot of people have already figured out that Kwity Paye is a solid pick, and it's probably due to position scarcity we didn't go Darrisaw in round 1. Lets dig a bit deeper though and look at round 1. There were 6 EDGE rushers (starting with pick 18). Ballard was able to get the 2nd one off the board at 21? Did he start an EDGE run? Lets look.

Pick 18 Dolphins.) Jaelen Phillips

Pick 21 Colts.) Kwity Paye

Pick 28 Saints.) Payton Turner

Pick 30 Bills.) Gregory Rousseau

Pick 31 Ravens.) Jayson Oweh

Pick 32 Bucs.) Joe Tryon

6 EDGE rushers went off the board at 18 or after in the 1st round. So basically, Ballard beat the trend and stayed of the curve. This allowed guys at the same position to be taken afterward and open up other players to fall to us in the 2nd round. It gets even better. All the teams that pick before us (besides the Dolphins) in the 2nd round hadn't taken an EDGE rusher yet, so we could literally see around 5 more EDGE rushers go off the board to teams in the first half of the 2nd round. Azeez Ojulari is still there, Ronnie Perkins, Carlos Basham and more. All we have to do is have one OT fall to us and this is a dream first two picks. Lot of talent fell in the 2nd round, and Ballard started a run on the EDGE position and I think that will continue tonight in Round 2 early on.

Couldn't someone say the dolphins started the run on Edge, instead of Ballard,since they picked Jalen Phillips before Paye was picked? :thinking:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am a bit surprised that Paye lasted until our pick at 21. I felt we would go OT at 21 if we did not trade down. I cannot disagree  with CB pick. It is a great pick and there are plenty of OT options available  that we can grab at 54. I am hopeful that CB can make a move to pick up #3  and if possible another #4 or #5.  Would love for us to grab OT, TE, LB, DB (Corner or Safety) and WR. This could be another great draft and Paye can give us  the EDGE player we have lacked since Freeney and Mathis. 

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Couldn't someone say the dolphins started the run on Edge, instead of Ballard,since they picked Jalen Phillips before Paye was picked? :thinking:

Nope. the Dolphins took the first EDGE, but Ballard started the run. Plus, this is a Colts site, so we're biased towards Ballard in any way possible! haha :) :thmup:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Exactly. The Dolphins started the run on edge rushers. Ballard continued it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1