Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Day 2; Best Available....

First,  here is the Best Available from Daniel Jeremiah.   

A lot of talent left, including a good number of OT's that most of us like....

https://www.nfl.com/news/best-remaining-prospects-available-in-the-2021-nfl-draft

And then, I'm going to add the BA from Todd McShay.    His list is normally Premium,  but during the actual draft, it's made available to everyone.    And you can see Day 2 looks very interesting for the Colts.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/bestavailable

I realized something today... teams are still very conservative with OTs when it comes to prototypical measurements and athleticism. Even Ballard stated something with that lean. They don't like to bet on OTs in the 1st that don't have it all physically/athletically or aren't exceptional technically. Look at the OTs that got taken in the second half of the 1st - Darrisaw and Leatherwood, both of them cover the 34"+ arm length mark, both of them athletic movers. And all of the short(er) armed OTs fell to the second. Similarly - look at the OTs taken in the 1st last year. ALL of them had arms longer than 34". And then you have the shorter armed prospect going on day 2. That's a lesson learned for me. 

So......

Comparing the two lists, and ranking them by their Best Ranking Overall,  here's the breakdown of OT'S.

Jeremiah              McShay

Mayfield          35                       112

Jenkins           36                         26

Radunz           37                         39

Eichenberg     47                         33

Cosmi             61                        66

Brown             66                        77

Christensen    67                      238    (Not a typo)

Little               76                        62

So, you can see the players where there's strong disagreement.   And the players where the critics roughly agree.

You also know that some of these guys are just Right Tackles and others we hope can play the Left side.

Final Thoughts:    If we don't take a LT with our 2nd pick, whenever that is,  I think we will likely do what a number of very sharp posters have talked about for a few weeks.   Sign Eric Fisher.    We can do that as early as next week.   And perhaps he might be ready by October or whenever the bye week is.    And we'd go with Tevi or Davenport until he's ready.

Clearly I'm hoping for Cosmi, Little, Eichenberg or Radunz.    But we'll find out tomorrow.   And, I think if need be,  we'd offer our 4 to move up 5-6 spots to get our guy.   

Hope this info helps.    Check out the two best available lists....     Enjoy!!

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So......

Comparing the two lists, and ranking them by their Best Ranking Overall,  here's the breakdown of OT'S.

So, you can see the players where there's strong disagreement.   And the players where the critics roughly agree.

You also know that some of these guys are just Right Tackles and others we hope can play the Left side.

Final Thoughts:    If we don't take a LT with our 2nd pick, whenever that is,  I think we will likely do what a number of very sharp posters have talked about for a few weeks.   Sign Eric Fisher.    We can do that as early as next week.   And perhaps he might be ready by October or whenever the bye week is.    And we'd go with Tevi or Davenport until he's ready.

Clearly I'm hoping for Cosmi, Little, Eichenberg or Radunz.    But we'll find out tomorrow.   And, I think if need be,  we'd offer our 4 to move up 5-6 spots to get our guy.   

Hope this info helps.    Check out the two best available lists....     Enjoy!!

We have a lot of good options. Christensen might be the most underrated and also the most athletic of the tackles. Was a first team all American and being from BYU you know he’s got good character. Could be one to watch for

Just now, tvturner said:

I'll take a Freiermuth or a Nico Collins 

And we might just go with either of those choices,  though I don't think Freiermuth stands much chance of reaching us.   I think he's the best available tight end.    Hard to see 20 teams passing on him. 

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

And we might just go with either of those choices,  though I don't think Freiermuth stands much chance of reaching us.   I think he's the best available tight end.    Hard to see 20 teams passing on him. 

Yeah I highly doubt it but there's a ton of guys available that I didn't think would be there at 33

I'm honestly expecting a trade down after Ballard's comments about OTs

1 minute ago, tvturner said:

Yeah I highly doubt it but there's a ton of guys available that I didn't think would be there at 33

I'm honestly expecting a trade down after Ballard's comments about OTs

I would not be surprised.    We could trade down 6-10 picks, pick up a 4 and perhaps still take an OT.

That would be win-win for Day 2.

6 hours ago, stitches said:

I realized something today... teams are still very conservative with OTs when it comes to prototypical measurements and athleticism. Even Ballard stated something with that lean. They don't like to bet on OTs in the 1st that don't have it all physically/athletically or aren't exceptional technically. Look at the OTs that got taken in the second half of the 1st - Darrisaw and Leatherwood, both of them cover the 34"+ arm length mark, both of them athletic movers. And all of the short(er) armed OTs fell to the second. Similarly - look at the OTs taken in the 1st last year. ALL of them had arms longer than 34". And then you have the shorter armed prospect going on day 2. That's a lesson learned for me. 

Yes, he mentioned there aren’t a lot of prototypical LT out there. I think Cosmo, Brown and Little are the guys to look out for. And players like Jenkins and Eichenburg, maybe not so much.

6 hours ago, stitches said:

I thought this the entire pre-draft period. Maybe not strictly based on measurables...but it seemed like only a handful of the OTs were actually prototypical LTs.

After that, it’s a collection 10 or more flawed OTs that can be hard to differentiate (outside of maybe Jenkins...but he’s probably going  to play RT). So they can just wait and see who is available on Day 2 that they like. 

I wouldn’t even be surprised to find out that some guys on the board when they picked (other than Paye) were ahead of OT prospects on their board...except maybe Darrisaw.

11 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I think CB, goes Corner or TE at 54. I agree, with posters, that Ballard will bring in another veteran to fill the LT spot. The depth looks better, compared to last season for sure. 

If he can figure out how to get two picks today...I bet one would be a developmental OT. But barring that, I tend to agree that he will go a different direction. But we will see.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The ones that hit the mark of prototypical LT IMO are: Spencer Brown...Maybe Dillon Radunz(depends on where you are getting his measurement - one is 34, the Senior Bowl one is 33 1/4)... Maybe Walker Little (33 3/4)... Maybe Cosmi(athletic but short armed)... 

7 hours ago, stitches said:

Yep, the OT depth, well LT depth, is overrated.  Been saying it for a couple of weeks.  Take one when you can.  We won't have a first rounder to take one next year either.

Stone Forsyth has the measurements and is a good pass blocker.

I’m watching Radunz and Cosmi tonight.  If they’re gone, I’m trading down and targeting Spencer Brown.  If that doesn’t materialize, I’d strongly consider pulling the trigger on one of the two offensive weapons I love: D’Wayne Eskridge or Tommy Tremble.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Yep, the OT depth, well LT depth, is overrated.  Been saying it for a couple of weeks.  Take one when you can.  We won't have a first rounder to take one next year either.

Stone Forsyth has the measurements and is a good pass blocker.

If they take an LT at 54,  I don't think it will be Forsyth

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If they take an LT at 54,  I don't think it will be Forsyth

I agree, but Stitches made a good point about the OTs with the prototypical measurements going higher.  I don't think Ballard will take him at 54, but I wouldn't be surprised if the players with the length all go in the second round now.  

Forsyth is 6.8 and played LT for Florida and can pass block, so he has that going for him.  Does he need more development than a Spencer Brown who played (RT?) for a small school?

I’m putting my hopes on Little, Radnuz, or Brown.  If there is a run on tackles then I think it’s a WR or CB.  Maybe Collins or the cb from Syracuse.  Fisher has to be an option now.  We could also sign a guard and move Q to LT.  I wouldn’t like it but Minerz at LG and Q at LT wouldn’t be a bad fall back option. 

1 minute ago, Colt Overseas said:

My favourite prospects per position:

OT - Walker Little

TE - Pat Freiermuth

CB - Ifeatu Melifonwu

WR - Nico Collins (would prefer after a trade down, slight reach at 54)

I like your list and agree with every name mentioned but for me personally I'd also add.

OT - Tevan Jenkins, Sam Cosmi & Eichenberg 

TE - Tommy Tremble

CB - Asante Samuel & Elijah Molden

WR - Elijah Moore, Terrace Marshall, Rondale Moore & Amon Ra St

16 minutes ago, jchandler7 said:

I like your list and agree with every name mentioned but for me personally I'd also add.

OT - Tevan Jenkins, Sam Cosmi & Eichenberg 

TE - Tommy Tremble

CB - Asante Samuel & Elijah Molden

WR - Elijah Moore, Terrace Marshall, Rondale Moore & Amon Ra St

I love Cosmi and Marshall too. 

I've a mini obsession of H/W/S wide receivers like Marshall and Collins after the success of Claypool and Metcalf.

I really want our downfield playmaker too. And Wentz loves having this sort of weapon too.  

3 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I love Cosmi and Marshall too. 

I've a mini obsession of H/W/S wide receivers like Marshall and Collins after the success of Claypool and Metcalf.

I really want our downfield playmaker too. And Wentz loves having this sort of weapon too.  

I agree. Samuel Cosmi or Terrance Marshall would be great pickups. Really like Ifeatu Melifonwu and Tyson Campbell at CB too. 

I think Rondale Moore would be a GREAT pickup, but he will likely be gone... and is redundant in our offense. So, I doubt Ballard would pick him. 

Archived