Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Kwity Paye DE

danlhart87

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/2/2021 at 9:18 PM, CR91 said:

Wow, what a pair of individuals. A mother doing whatever it takes to provide an opportunity for her son(s), and a son taking that opportunity and turning it into something special. Unbelievable strength of character. It's so easy to root for this team when they fill it with guys and families like this.

On 5/2/2021 at 4:18 PM, CR91 said:

I love everything about this young man's commitment to get to this point.
  And his momma is heroic in her own right.
 In baseball terms, he is going to be a tough out!
  So glad he is OURS to root for!

35 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I love everything about this young man's commitment to get to this point.
  And his momma is heroic in her own right.
 In baseball terms, he is going to be a tough out!
  So glad he is OURS to root for!

Yep. I'll bet that young man got right after his routine the next morning after the draft. This, imo, will not be a kid who lets money and getting TO the NFL get in the way of his continued ascent. 

7 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Yep. I'll bet that young man got right after his routine the next morning after the draft. This, imo, will not be a kid who lets money and getting TO the NFL get in the way of his continued ascent. 

Something about his reaction on the phone and his general demeanour gives me this impression too. Super quiet, humble, and reserved like he knows this is just the first step rather than the end goal.

On 5/1/2021 at 5:31 AM, RomanianColtsFan said:

I hope nobody goes back and listens to Bill Polian on his podcast from 2 weeks ago when he talked about Paye because if you respect Polian’s opinion, like I do, the optimism about this pick will suddenly plummet.

I listened to his opinion, because you mentioned it here. I do share some of the concern he has, Paye obviously has to develop further the next couple years, but I'm optimistic he will. Polian lost me when he mentioned he had no idea what the definition of a hurry was and that the only metrics that count in his opinion are sacks and TFL. I do prefer our current staff, who uses advanced metrics to project what a player could be at the next level to the traditional box score approach. Still worth the listen, even though you realize he comes from a different era.

1 hour ago, Mackrel829 said:

Wow, what a pair of individuals. A mother doing whatever it takes to provide an opportunity for her son(s), and a son taking that opportunity and turning it into something special. Unbelievable strength of character. It's so easy to root for this team when they fill it with guys and families like this.

He said on JMV his mom wants to move to MN. She has family there. He goes are you sure with the cold winters. 

50 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

Polian lost me when he mentioned he had no idea what the definition of a hurry was and that the only metrics that count in his opinion are sacks and TFL. I do prefer our current staff, who uses advanced metrics to project what a player could be at the next level to the traditional box score approach. Still worth the listen, even though you realize he comes from a different era.

According to PFF, QB hurries/pressures at the college level tend to be one of the biggest predictors of pass rush success at the NFL level. Of course it isn't the end all, be all, but the data shows a strong correlation.

58 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Perhaps Polian should ask some QB's what a hurry is. They can explain it to him. 

I didn't hear the interview, but a "hurry" is a very subjective metric. And pressure stats in general need refinement, to provide context.

I was extremely happy with this pick, especially since most mocks had him going 14-17.  Although that now makes me wonder why?   Did other teams see something in him that made them pass on him.  

3 hours ago, Mackrel829 said:

@krunk nailed the Tamba Hali comparison. Lots of similarities.

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

I was extremely happy with this pick, especially since most mocks had him going 14-17.  Although that now makes me wonder why?   Did other teams see something in him that made them pass on him.  

Yeah...who knows. I don’t think he really dropped when you look at the draft. There was going to be (5) QBs taken ahead, (4) pass catchers, at least (2) CBs and at least (3) CBs. Allowing for a WC pick or two...that put him in the 16-21. I didn’t think AZ or LV would take him. WAS definitely wasn’t. So that left MIA and the NYG. MIA went with the more pure pass rusher and then the NYG grabbed the WR they wanted because he would have been gone.

Was a bit surprised the NYG passed...but that’s about it. But I think he went about right where he should. 

3 hours ago, PureLuck said:

I listened to his opinion, because you mentioned it here. I do share some of the concern he has, Paye obviously has to develop further the next couple years, but I'm optimistic he will. Polian lost me when he mentioned he had no idea what the definition of a hurry was and that the only metrics that count in his opinion are sacks and TFL. I do prefer our current staff, who uses advanced metrics to project what a player could be at the next level to the traditional box score approach. Still worth the listen, even though you realize he comes from a different era.

I can see why the definition of “hurry” may be ambiguous due to the lack of a proper metric. A sack and a TFL is obvious, player on the ground and, that’s it, you can count it. A hurry could be subjective because it depends on factors such as play design, QB executing the play quickly, that’s my guess. 

That being said, count me in among those who hope that Polian is terribly wrong.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I didn't hear the interview, but a "hurry" is a very subjective metric. And pressure stats in general need refinement, to provide context.

Of course. A team could have decreased Sacks and TFL's, yet also reduce the time QB's have to throw against you, and reduced pass completion percentage against you. There is correlation, but Polian's blanket statement seemed to come across attitudy to me. 

12 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Of course. A team could have decreased Sacks and TFL's, yet also reduce the time QB's have to throw against you, and reduced pass completion percentage against you. There is correlation, but Polian's blanket statement seemed to come across attitudy to me. 

That's not new for Polian...

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's not new for Polian...

Yeah, I don't think he will ever be a candidate for a 'Mr. Congeniality' award. But he is a little better when he is guest host on the 'Late Hits' show that airs on the SiriusXM NFL radio channel.

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

Will they play this song by rage against the machine at LOS?  

The first words are “Kwitty now!”

OMG. I've been saying the same thing, just using his last name in there too. Such an obscure connection to make and I have no clue how the both of us made it.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

OMG. I've been saying the same thing, just using his last name in there too. Such an obscure connection to make and I have no clue how the both of us made it.

Thank god it’s not just me.  I couldn’t get it out of my head.  I almost wrote it on Friday. Lol. 

On 5/7/2021 at 1:35 PM, Myles said:

I think the QBs trades and a few teams deciding to go WR or OT rather than what some of the mocks thought is why he slipped 

I heard Paye say during his rookie camp press conference  at Michigan he did more reading and reacting at his position than they did just straight getting after the QB. He said in this D the Colts ends attack and get after the QB a lot more. That could have played into why his sack numbers weren't higher at UM in my opinion possibly.

I watched the Michigan-Penn State game from last year. Paye had one assist. He was double teamed on approximately 85% of his plays. He also had one qb pressure and one qb hit. The worst part of his play that day was twice he went into the backfield unblocked and wifffffed on a tackle. Can't do that in the nfl, I'm sure the coaches will teach him technique to play under control and not miss easy tackles. On a side note the Penn State offensive line was outstanding, including Fries.

Paye said he will be right end in our defense. This is interesting. It probably limits Kemoko's play time too - he was our designated pass-rusher on the right end so far. Now, our defensive line rotates a lot and the highest usage of a player on DE is about 60-65%, so maybe Kemoko takes those remaining 35-40% of the snaps there? 

On 5/7/2021 at 10:25 AM, Shive said:

According to PFF, QB hurries/pressures at the college level tend to be one of the biggest predictors of pass rush success at the NFL level. Of course it isn't the end all, be all, but the data shows a strong correlation.

So based on PFF's findings and Paye' college stats. How does he look to do in the future? I have also read that tackles for loss is a huge factor  in predicting a college players success in the NFL.

On 5/10/2021 at 1:10 PM, stitches said:

Paye said he will be right end in our defense. This is interesting. It probably limits Kemoko's play time too - he was our designated pass-rusher on the right end so far. Now, our defensive line rotates a lot and the highest usage of a player on DE is about 60-65%, so maybe Kemoko takes those remaining 35-40% of the snaps there? 

I've seen comments from various folks including Ballard that leads me to believe he may be situational and perhaps move around. 

Ballard said he believes KP "can play the run and hold up on 1st and 2nd down and then will develop into a good rusher,” .... His comments on Dayo also felt like he see him as a combo Autry/Buchner type guy that could slide in.

All in all, Lewis or Paye is likely to slide inside on passing downs, so Turay should get snaps. Turay was thought to better vs the run than pass coming out of college, so I wouldn't count him out as a starter either. Either way, having a rotation of Paye/Lewis/Turay at edge could be pretty nice, and 2 of them can slide inside (Lewis and Paye) if needed. We're likely to see different snap counts and usage anyway week to week based on Os we face. 

Things will also partially depend on how the other 3Ts are viewed and develop (Wood and Kline). They could also be options instead of sliding a DE inside. 

On 5/7/2021 at 1:35 PM, Myles said:

Bad technique.  He is going to be OK with that body, whether or not he’s good will be a function of his technique.   

8 hours ago, Nickster said:

Nice.

On 5/8/2021 at 9:45 AM, Fluke_33 said:

Thank god it’s not just me.  I couldn’t get it out of my head.  I almost wrote it on Friday. Lol. 

You’re killing me today dude.  All day day long kah witty now Rr rr chucka chucka rr rr kah witty now.

Bulls on Parade would be a great nickname if this line works out.  

home intro of the line:     Kwitty now  Rr rr chucka chucka rr rr deforest now Rr rr chucka chucka rr rr d dayo now now Rr rr chucka chucka rr rr kemeko nowRr rr chucka chucka rr. BULLS ON PARAAAAADE!

On 5/8/2021 at 3:58 AM, Fluke_33 said:

Will they play this song by rage against the machine at LOS?  

The first words are “Kwitty now!”

On 5/8/2021 at 5:40 AM, Shive said:

"Bulls On Parade"

Come wit it now!
Come wit it now!
The microphone explodes, shattering the molds
Either drop tha hits like de la O or get tha * off tha commode
Wit tha sure shot, sure ta make tha bodies drop
Drop an don't copy yo, don't call this a co-op
Terror rains drenchin', quenchin' tha thirst of tha power dons
That five sided fist-a-gon
Tha rotten sore on tha face of mother earth gets bigger
Tha triggers cold empty ya purse

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

You’re killing me today dude.  All day day long kah witty now Rr rr chucka chucka rr rr kah witty now.

Bulls on Parade would be a great nickname if this line works out.  

home intro of the line:     Kwitty now  Rr rr chucka chucka rr rr deforest now Rr rr chucka chucka rr rr d dayo now now Rr rr chucka chucka rr rr kemeko nowRr rr chucka chucka rr. BULLS ON PARAAAAADE!

Lol.  I couldn’t get it out of my head either!  Bulls on parade for the entire D even.  Awesome!

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I've seen comments from various folks including Ballard that leads me to believe he may be situational and perhaps move around. 

Ballard said he believes KP "can play the run and hold up on 1st and 2nd down and then will develop into a good rusher,” .... His comments on Dayo also felt like he see him as a combo Autry/Buchner type guy that could slide in.

All in all, Lewis or Paye is likely to slide inside on passing downs, so Turay should get snaps. Turay was thought to better vs the run than pass coming out of college, so I wouldn't count him out as a starter either. Either way, having a rotation of Paye/Lewis/Turay at edge could be pretty nice, and 2 of them can slide inside (Lewis and Paye) if needed. We're likely to see different snap counts and usage anyway week to week based on Os we face. 

Things will also partially depend on how the other 3Ts are viewed and develop (Wood and Kline). They could also be options instead of sliding a DE inside. 

Turay is not better defending the run. 

Archived