Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Left Tackle(Leno,Fisher,Okung?)/Sam Tevi at LT (MERGE)

CS Coltsfan

4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

The tea leaves are in front of us.

He stated "athletes" when talking about the LT position. Guys who were more athletic and coachable.

Alex Leatherwood - already drafted

Spencer Brown - already drafted

Dillon Radunz - already drafted

Landon Young

D'Ante Smith - makes up for lower strength with extreme length and mirroring

Carson Green

Stone Forsythe

Larnell Coleman

That leaves 5 guys still available that fit the RAS (Relative Athletic Score) profile as well as other CB criteria.

Not too mention he stated the offseason is not done yet - aka Eric Fisher is a phone call away I would bet. Sign him and draft a coachable guy with the measurables and boom, our oline is good to go!

Side note......I would not be surprised if another edge player wasn't drafted (Elerson Smith from UNI)!

Thanks for the list.  I was wondering who is available.  I figured the popular OTs we were all talking about would be gone by 54, but those guys lasted to the 2nd round because they have flaws.  No big deal really.  (Paye over Darrisaw is the pick that set the LT spot back, IMO). If I'm not taking the full package in the first round, I'd rather have a prototypical guy that needs coaching over a college overachiever 

Do you have the RAS scores for the remaining players on your list?

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Fisher actually is believed to be ready mid August

Per January announcement

The initial reports right after the injury was that he shredded the tendon and it was career threatening, which why I thought KC released him so suddenly.  Maybe that is not true.

25 minutes ago, #12. said:

I still think it's just mainly how the board fell. They didn't think Paye would be there.  According to Peter King, Ballard was convinced he could get a starting LT early in the 2nd.

Interesting.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

The initial reports right after the injury was that he shredded the tendon and it was career threatening, which why I thought KC released him so suddenly.  Maybe that is not true.

You may be right

I couldnt find the details, other than they expected him back in August

Of course, it could be team speak

They did cut the guy, They are heading into cap hell

Who knows what the full story is

The Colts doctors may be looking at his X rays this morning :)

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

You may be right

I couldnt find the details, other than they expected him back in August

Of course, it could be team speak

They did cut the guy, They are heading into cap hell

Who knows what the full story is

The Colts doctors may be looking at his X rays this morning :)

No no, if you read recently that they expect him back in August then the reports of him shredding the tendon may have been premature.  The injury was not as bad as thought.  So if you read that in the last few weeks, that's encouraging.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No no, if you read recently that they expect him back in August then the reports of him shredding the tendon may have been premature.  The injury was not as bad as thought.  So if you read that in the last few weeks, that's encouraging.

It appears to be a January, post surgery statement

But not much (That I can find) after that

On 4/30/2021 at 7:41 AM, DougDew said:

Stone Forsythe.  Info on a little known prospect from USATODAY:

Turn on his game tape and you’ll see a fluid mover with smooth pass sets and the ability to latch onto defenders. Some of his best performances came against top-tier competition too like Georgia’s Azeez Ojulari, Kentucky’s Jamar Watson, and Alabama’s Christopher Allen in the SEC Championship Game. The NFL is a passing league and pass protection is Forsythe’s biggest asset.

Like any draft prospect, you’ll also see some very noticeable areas where he needs improvement. Forsythe doesn’t get a lot of push in the ground game off the line of scrimmage. Sometimes he misses his targets in the run game and screen game when he’s on the move. His size is an asset, but it also poses a constant problem with his pad level. There are also times when he struggles to use length as effectively as he could.

Official pro-day results for Florida OT Stone Forsythe. Good all-around workout for the big man.

HT 6080 WT 307 Hand 10 Arm 34 3/8 Wing 83 1/4 40-yd 5.14/5.15 VJ 27.5 BJ 8-7 SS 4.65 3C 7.47 BP 25 reps

Stone is a guy I'm very intrigued by in the 4th. Q will cover up some of his weakness in the run game. 

Turn on his game tape and you’ll see a fluid mover with smooth pass sets and the ability to latch onto defenders. Some of his best performances came against top-tier competition too like Georgia’s Azeez Ojulari, Kentucky’s Jamar Watson, and Alabama’s Christopher Allen in the SEC Championship Game. The NFL is a passing league and pass protection is Forsythe’s biggest asset.

Like any draft prospect, you’ll also see some very noticeable areas where he needs improvement. Forsythe doesn’t get a lot of push in the ground game off the line of scrimmage. Sometimes he misses his targets in the run game and screen game when he’s on the move. His size is an asset, but it also poses a constant problem with his pad level. There are also times when he struggles to use length as effectively as he could.

Official pro-day results for Florida OT Stone Forsythe. Good all-around workout for the big man.

HT 6080 WT 307 Hand 10 Arm 34 3/8 Wing 83 1/4 40-yd 5.14/5.15 VJ 27.5 BJ 8-7 SS 4.65 3C 7.47 BP 25 reps

Stone is a guy I'm very intrigued by in the 4th. Q will cover up some of his weakness in the run game. 

Anyway, most of these guys in the draft weren't actually seen as left tackles, that much is clear now. As long as we sign a solid short term starter for next season, in addition to what we've already done and truly address the position in the draft when we find someone we like, this is fine. 

13 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Plenty of players have played well after an Achilles tear

It was a convoluted joke, I was making fun of the guy that said that Mack, Fisher and Dayo had "career ending torn achilles" when clearly their careers aren't ending.

12 hours ago, Gigc said:

For what it's worth, if you go look at Charger QB Justin Herbert's rookie highlights, Tevi doesn't look that bad at left tackle. I know I've read that he had a lot of penalties, but he didn't look that bad.

and, Fisher is still out there although last I read he was talking to a lot of different clubs. 

Tevi had one really bad game and what happens with every player fans can’t get that one bad game out of their heads. They project that one game onto their entire careers. Playing next to Nelson will help.

At the moment:  LT - below average LG - best in the league C - great  RG - average  RT - great

Can still can grab Fisher/Okung, still can make a trade, or just roll with Tevi. Wentz is much more mobile than Rivers... they’ll be better than what most think. People are acting like the season is next month lol.

1 hour ago, #12. said:

I still think it's just mainly how the board fell. They didn't think Paye would be there.  According to Peter King, Ballard was convinced he could get a starting LT early in the 2nd.

We were not drafting early in the 2nd rd.  So was he planning on trading up?  Well he didn’t so here we are.  Waiting to see what his new plan is for LT.  Don’t you love it. 

Have to sign an Eric Fisher or Alejandro Villanueva at this point. There are no LTs on this roster currently that are starting material. Ballard will regret it if he goes into the season with a Sam Tevi or another depth player starting for them at LT. 

I mentioned it in another thread. I hope everything turns out great for the Colts but if Wentz get hurt or the Offensive Line starts to struggle because they did nothing with the Tackle position this will blow up in Ballards face. And rightly so. I think its a risk relying on guys like Davenport or Tevi to make a huge step forward or some other project to pan out. 

I'm not sure why folks are so worked up over this tbh. Paye slipped to 21. Had to take him there. The tackles were gone by our pick in the second round. Hey, it happens.

The ones left after that second round run were equivalent to a vet we can pickup as cuts loom later, but noone was left in the draft that could be our 10 year starter.

We'll have to find him later, but the way things fell, it just wasn't going to happen in this draft. 

36 minutes ago, cbear said:

I'm not sure why folks are so worked up over this tbh. 

What happens when you don’t take good care of your QB?

Andrew Luck No GIF by Indianapolis Colts

But anyways, yeah. 

Can’t figure out why anyone would have doubts about not having a quality starter at the most important position on the offensive line. How silly, amirite?

Just now, Orioles22 said:

I was listening to the NFL Network on XM and Polian said matter of factly earlier today that Smith would move to left tackle. I'd much rather move him than mess with Nelson.

Ballard said none of them are moving. They are going to give who they have a chance to earn the spot or sign a vet. Keefer in my above tweet hinted another signing is coming. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Irsay just mentioned sam tevi will most likely be the one that starts at left tackle if nobody else is available.

Not surprising.  I think the Colts think they see something in him and being able to progress not unlike Glow did.  Time will tell if it’s right or not.  The good news is if he’s not the answer there is an off-season next year too.

2 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I was listening to the NFL Network on XM and Polian said matter of factly earlier today that Smith would move to left tackle. I'd much rather move him than mess with Nelson.

Ballard said last night they aren’t moving the other four starters

10 hours ago, DougDew said:

If we have to compete with other clubs over money for an injured 30 year old Fisher, I'd prefer to talk to SF again about McGlinchey.

Remember...   Fisher only costs money.

McGlinchey will cost a high pick, or picks, and also money.    We don’t have those picks to trade. 

That’s why I favor Fisher. 

11 hours ago, FRW said:

I haven't heard this much rationalizing in years. We've gone from which of these top LT prospects should we take in the first round to we didn't really need a LT, and anyway they weren't as good as advertised. If we learned nothing else from the Grigson/Luck fiasco we should have at least learned you can't build an OL with other people's aging/injured cast offs. How soon we forget. We traded to bring in a rehab project at QB, who everyone agrees needs protection, and then don't get the most important part of the that protection puzzle. I hope Eason is ready.

Oh and who did we draft? A workout warrior with a touching personal story whose number don't match his production on the field. And a guy coming off an often career ending injury who may not even play this year. Wow impressive. I guess the guy with the three concussions who already quit football once was already taken.

Thanks, coach.

20 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

What happens when you don’t take good care of your QB?

Andrew Luck No GIF by Indianapolis Colts

But anyways, yeah. 

Can’t figure out why anyone would have doubts about not having a quality starter at the most important position on the offensive line. How silly, amirite?

Looks at the Big Q and Smith picks, Kelly’s extension and Glow’s extension.  Yeah Ballard clearly has no interest in investing in the oline and protecting the QB.

10 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I heard Ballard say that - just sharing what Polian suggested/said.

That’s cool.  Just sharing what Ballard said.

21 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

I heard Alejandro Villanueva is signing with the Ravens so that leaves Eric Fisher out there. I just can't see a scenario where Tevi or Davenport start at LT or Big Q moves to LT. Maybe Ballard is high on those men. I knew once Cosmi and Radunz were gone Ballard just said F it and doubled down on DE. Something he said in the conference yesterday after the 1st round really interested me. He said "None of the them were prototypical left tackles" When Ballard says something you better believe it. 

I just read an article that stated Fisher could be back by late august from his achilles injury. If this is the case then I could see Ballard going after him. 

He has not signed with anyone. He did visit the Ravens facility though. I don't think anyone is going to give him 16-17M a year after the year Pittsburgh had in 2020, which is probably what he's holding out for, or at least closer to that ceiling than what most teams are willing to offer.

Archived