Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Left Tackle(Leno,Fisher,Okung?)/Sam Tevi at LT (MERGE)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I never thought of Leno until today and you guys bringing him up, I like the idea. He is only 29 years old and is healthy. He also is at least an average LOT which playing by Nelson's side will be goo

I use PFF if helps to makes my point, but largely ignore it if it doesnt help make my point

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Man, I’d be really worried about signing Fisher to big money. Hopefully they take a good look at Leno as well. 

According to holder he would probably be cheaper because of the injury.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

If he passes his physical and the Achilles looks good my guess is he will be a colt by the end of the week. Like Holder says in his tweet he needs to be ready day one. We aren’t going to sign him if they think he will miss half the season.

Several sources say he could be ready by week one. 

Totally agree.  As long as he passes his physical and his rehab is going well I think we will sign him hopefully for at least two years.  Another advantage on signing him now is he can rehab at our facility with our doctors.  Ironic that we are bringing him this week right after the Leno release.  It sure looks like he is the No. 1 target.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Totally agree.  As long as he passes his physical and his rehab is going well I think we will sign him hopefully for at least two years.  Another advantage on signing him now is he can rehab at our facility with our doctors.  Ironic that we are bringing him this week right after the Leno release.  It sure looks like he is the No. 1 target.

He will probably only get a year coming off that injury. Unless that second year had a way for the colts to get out of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

 

I wouldn’t think the Colts would have to spend big on any of these available free agent tackles. Maybe 8 mil per year or so which I believe Villanueva just got and that’s definitely doable for our cap situation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

He will probably only get a year coming off that injury.

I hope they sign Leno to a 2 or 3 year deal. He's been a solid player with no injury history. We already have 2 Achilles to rehab....dont need a third.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

He will probably only get a year coming off that injury. Unless that second year had a way for the colts to get out of it.

I would rather not revisit LT after one year.  Our luck he will have another great year.  I would be in favor of signing either player for at least two years.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

 

 

Well, if you don't want to spend and you don't want to draft...   

 

Who needs a LT these days anyway.  For Ballard to preach trenches for 5 years and not seem to care much about the LT position, it's bizarre.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted this in the other Fisher FA thread but:

 

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a “check in” w Fisher the way we “checked in” w Jay Ajayi a few years back. He wasn’t ready physically and we basically said “ok we,lol keep an eye on you for when you’re ready”. 
 

the colts need this visit because if Fisher isn’t mending on or ahead of schedule they need to know and turn their attention to Leno ASAP. 
 

Especially w other teams still needing OT help (Carolina, Pitt, now Denver w James out for the year), the OT competition can heat up quickly. 
 

I just hope if we sign Fisher it’s similar to Villanueva. I’d prefer a multi year deal especially if Fisher needs to miss a few games to start the year instead of a one year deal where we don’t get to reap there benefits next year. 
 

would love a 2-3 year deal where all the guarantees are paid out this year. 
 

id be equally happy w a similar deal for Leno. He isn’t as big of a name but he is the exact thing we need: youngish, stable, healthy, reliable, avg to above avg. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, #12. said:

 

Well, if you don't want to spend and you don't want to draft...   

 

Who needs a LT these days anyway.  For Ballard to preach trenches for 5 years and not seem to care much about the LT position, it's bizarre.

Probably because he has more faith in Tevi then fans do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

We are a few days removed from the draft colts are not done tinkering with roster , vets are being cut each day so guys come available and it’s a couple guys on Fa , 

I realize all that.  And I’m being intentionally restrained with my criticism because of it.

 

There is still time left to address the position and there are some options open to us.  On top of that, nobody knows how the picks we passed on (and the picks we took) will pan out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wentzszn said:

Well they are really making great medical advances with Achilles.

 

 

I saw this too and thought it was crazy. But I suppose Brooks coming back in 7-8 months and that original Fisher timeline of 7 months or so makes it so that’d put James in the early Dec timeline if it were similar. Which would mean he could sneak in a few games. But why? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

colts need to just sign fisher right now no visit just dump whatever he wants if they wanna make a deep playoff run and keep wentz upright

I am sure they want there own doctors to look at him. My guess they will also talk with Leno. Then decide. Fisher wouldn’t need to visit if it wasn’t for the injury.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Probably because he has more faith in Tevi then fans do.

 

After seeing Veldheer play respectable ball for a few games, I hope Ballard doesn't now believe he can just pick up any LT at Dollar General.  We've seen this story before.  Le'Raven and the O-line had a few decent games at the end of 2016, Ballard saw that, said the O-line looked better than he thought and then did nothing for a year.  That didn't exactly work out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, #12. said:

 

After seeing Veldheer play respectable ball for a few games, I hope Ballard doesn't now believe he can just pick up any LT at Dollar General.  We've seen this story before.  Le'Raven and the O-line had a few decent games at the end of 2016, Ballard saw that, said the O-line looked better than he thought and then did nothing for a year.  That didn't exactly work out.

That’s not exactly the full story....

 

2017 was said back then in real time to be the worst OL draft class anyone could remember. The pickings were...   slim. 

 

As it is, we drafted Banner in the 4th round and he’s one of the few OL who are still around.   
 

We were also coming off a draft (2016) where we spent our 1, 3, 5 and 7 round picks on OL. 


I think we also signed a FA OL, but I’d have to double check that.  
 

We were rebuilding an entire roster, there were only so many bullets to fire that first year...  

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

colts need to just sign fisher right now no visit just dump whatever he wants if they wanna make a deep playoff run and keep wentz upright

You don’t even want a physical?   Let our doctor’s look at him?    He’s already agreed to come.   There isn’t a problem here.  There’s no need to be coming on strong.   Not sure why you’re objecting to?  
 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

So let’s just say the Colts signed him for argument sake when would he be ready to play?

They say he could be ready week one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

 

They say he could be ready week one.

I dont see it

 

There is a chance to re-injure if pushed too soon

 

I think we shouldn't count on either until mid to late season, if at all

 

If we could find away, Id like to sign Fisher for a 4 year deal, but keep looking for a temporary solution

that would fill the void this year (Maybe Okung would take a 1 year deal) 

 

SF gave their 32 year old tackle a 4 year deal (Not all guaranteed)

 

Having a Pro bowl left tackle under contract for 4 years plus would seem to be good for the franchise and give us some runway to develop another LT

 

Currently we have 24.4M in cap space (includes rookies)

 

It would be tough and we would have to spread out some signing bonus, but maybe we could swing this and get Leonards contract going

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You don’t even want a physical?   Let our doctor’s look at him?    He’s already agreed to come.   There isn’t a problem here.  There’s no need to be coming on strong.   Not sure why you’re objecting to?  
 

 

you got jokes GIF by Steve Harvey TV

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

Figures i post this and find out its already posted in fa thread!:sorry:

It was posted here a few pages back too.

 

party GIF

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

You a funny man  :) 

Well...   I think so...   but you make this sound like I’m being funny in an unintentional way.   That’s not really what I want.  
 

Sorry I couldn’t recall with certainty off the top of my head who our free agents signings were back in 2017.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well that says mid-season which seems a little more likely.

He is just guessing. 
 

Dayo is most likely going to be held out longer then fisher since we drafted him for the long haul.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well...   I think so...   but you make this sound like I’m being funny in an unintentional way.   That’s not really what I want.  
 

Sorry I couldn’t recall with certainty off the top of my head who our free agents signings were back in 2017.    

Some guy called Mark Glowinski.  Can't remember if he ever was successful with the team or not.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, w87r said:

Seems we are on the heels of getting something done.

 

tumblr_nyqxaw28tk1qa9yc1o1_400.gifv

 

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

colts need to just sign fisher right now no visit just dump whatever he wants if they wanna make a deep playoff run and keep wentz upright

 

Hmmm, maybe this might be one of those reasons/times when GM's shut out the fan noise.

 

5 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Some guy called Mark Glowinski.  Can't remember if he ever was successful with the team or not.

 

Wasn't he a dude we claimed off the waiver wire back in 2017? Haven't heard much about him ever since. { :peek:}

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Some guy called Mark Glowinski.  Can't remember if he ever was successful with the team or not.

I don’t think Glow was a signing during the FA window.   I think he got cut from Seattle during the season and we claimed him.   Not trying to be clever with my words.  Just making a distinction between a FA signing in March and a claim much later in the calendar year.   
 

As for humor...   a Priest, a Rabbi, and a horse go into a bar, and the bartender turns to the horse and says....  

 

“Why the long face?!?”   <rimshot!!>
 

Thank you!  Thank you!!   I’ll be here all week!!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Fisher is sound, I'd sign him to a 3 year deal easy. He's not that old, he actually was getting better as time went on (2 pro bowls in last 3 years I think). That gives us 3 years to try and find that 10 year tackle. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to see Fisher sign a multi-year deal. I believe the likelihood is that if he does sign, he is going to want to sign a 1 year deal so that he can come back and "prove it" and cash in one more time for one last big contract in his career.

 

This is why I think if we get him for 2-3 years it is a big win for the Colts. 

 

CB might be content to just give him the 1 year "prove it" deal, but I would much rather a 2-3 year deal w all guarantees paid now even if the year 2 and year 3 salaries are higher but not guaranteed. That way if Fisher is kept he makes his money and if he is not he can go try to get his money.

 

Fun fact:

 

These are his real cash earnings the past few years (not his cap figures but what went into his pocket each year)

 

2016- $13.4M

2017- $6.9M

2018- $11.4M

2019- $11.1M

2020- $9.5M

 

That means in the last 5 years Fisher has averaged around $10.5M yearly in take-home pay.

 

I believe he was slated to bring home around $11.9M this past year ($15M cap charge that included $3M in prorated bonus money).

 

So my guess is that he is not going to want to sign a contract like Villanueva that locks him in two years at "only" $7M per year.

 

I could see him signing a 1 year prove it deal for ~$8M-$9M or so due to his injury.

 

I will be super curious to see how we structure any deal with him if we are able to get him to agree to more than a year.

 

If I were being creative I would love to see a deal that is something like 2 years and $22M with $9M paid out in 2021 and the $13M due in 2022 being unguaranteed salary so that if he is healthy and a hit, he is worth that $13M and if not he isn't tying up cap space but he also gets paid a decent rate for the 2021 season and is then able to hit free agency next year.

 

A 2022 Cash payout of $13M or so puts him right around the top-10 Tackle mark for 2022 which is probably where he belongs if fully healthy.

 

Going to be fun times the next few weeks watching all the LT dancing and negotiating unfold. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I'd love to see Fisher sign a multi-year deal. I believe the likelihood is that if he does sign, he is going to want to sign a 1 year deal so that he can come back and "prove it" and cash in one more time for one last big contract in his career.

 

This is why I think if we get him for 2-3 years it is a big win for the Colts. 

 

CB might be content to just give him the 1 year "prove it" deal, but I would much rather a 2-3 year deal w all guarantees paid now even if the year 2 and year 3 salaries are higher but not guaranteed. That way if Fisher is kept he makes his money and if he is not he can go try to get his money.

 

Fun fact:

 

These are his real cash earnings the past few years (not his cap figures but what went into his pocket each year)

 

2016- $13.4M

2017- $6.9M

2018- $11.4M

2019- $11.1M

2020- $9.5M

 

That means in the last 5 years Fisher has averaged around $10.5M yearly in take-home pay.

 

I believe he was slated to bring home around $11.9M this past year ($15M cap charge that included $3M in prorated bonus money).

 

So my guess is that he is not going to want to sign a contract like Villanueva that locks him in two years at "only" $7M per year.

 

I could see him signing a 1 year prove it deal for ~$8M-$9M or so due to his injury.

 

I will be super curious to see how we structure any deal with him if we are able to get him to agree to more than a year.

 

If I were being creative I would love to see a deal that is something like 2 years and $22M with $9M paid out in 2021 and the $13M due in 2022 being unguaranteed salary so that if he is healthy and a hit, he is worth that $13M and if not he isn't tying up cap space but he also gets paid a decent rate for the 2021 season and is then able to hit free agency next year.

 

A 2022 Cash payout of $13M or so puts him right around the top-10 Tackle mark for 2022 which is probably where he belongs if fully healthy.

 

Going to be fun times the next few weeks watching all the LT dancing and negotiating unfold. 

Without looking...   does the season by season cash in his pocket his salary only?

 

Does it include his signing bonus or roster bonus or any other bonuses?   Just asking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The year of the Achilles with Mack, Dayo, and possibly Fisher.  If it works out, we will be the standard for which players with Achilles injures will use a a reference point about coming back from this type of injury.

 

On Fisher, I did not realize he was the #1 pick in the draft in 2013.  I knew he was a 1st round pick but thought he was a mid 1st round pick.

 

If we sign him. Have Tevi start the first month or so, and if Fisher comes back close to form. It will be a O-line I'd pay money to watch, which I'm doing already.  A healthy Fisher, next to Nelson and Kelly, WOW!, with Glow and Smith of right, I can fantasize.

 

I don't see why Fisher would not want to sign with the Colts. Obviously, the Colts Orthopedic Specialist with evaluate his closely.  If good to go, hopefully the Colts and Fisher can find a fair contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Shive locked this topic
  • Shive unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...