Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm calling it right now

In the 3rd episode OF WTNP Chad Henry (Midwest Area Scout) talks about liking a guy who all he hears is super fast and is explosive.

Purdue is in Indiana AKA the Midwest 

A fast electric player coming out Colts have shown interest in is Rondale Moore 

If he's there at 54 I strongly believe he will be picked

I would agree that Chad Henry is banging the drum on this guy, and is probably Rondale Moore.  But it also seems that he's really swimming against the stream in the draft room on this one, probably because of the 5-9 stature of his guy.  I don't think it's a guarantee that they draft him.  But Chad Henry sure is trying his best!

I wouldn't be mad, but I'd be surprised.

To take a guy at 54 over two big needs like OT and DE, plus his slight stature, plus his injury history.......

Not a smart move given our limited capital. Now if we were a team like Miami, with 4 1st and 2nd round picks, you have the luxury of rolling the dice.

8 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Maybe I'm way off but Rondale Moore seems like he fits more of a Nyheim Hines type of role than an outside receiver.

If the Colts take an undersized receiver early I think it is more likely to be Elijah Moore, not Rondale.

RMoore IMO is a pure slot. He's got the speed to burn guys on the outside though in a pure 9 situation. At 4.29, you can put him in motion at Z on the outside, and nobody will keep up with him. 

EM is a pure slot too, just not as fast (still very very fast), but less slight in stature and stronger. At 4.35 (not sure I buy that time given some early times) he can burn folks to if needed on the outside in a limited role. 

I don’t see it. Moore could be a very explosive player in the league, but he is kind of in a weird spot as he fits more of a versatile runningback in the nfl than receiver, but isn’t really defined either way. He’s just a top notch athlete. Fast. Strong. Playmaking ability. Maybe they want to continue adding what they feel is playmakers after watching Taylor go off through the second half of last year. I just feel they’ll stick with the inside out approach, especially with needs at pass rusher and tackle... 

27 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

To take a guy at 54 over two big needs like OT and DE, plus his slight stature, plus his injury history.......

Not a smart move given our limited capital. Now if we were a team like Miami, with 4 1st and 2nd round picks, you have the luxury of rolling the dice.

I have a feeling we won't go end.  I could b wrong but I think they want to see what Lewis, Banagou and Turay can do. The top guys r Paye and Phillps. Paye will b gone and I wouldn't touch Phillips. To many concussions and based on Ballard's history, I doubt he will. He passed on Sweat. I know Farley has some medical concerns but he may slide. I would pick him.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

RMoore IMO is a pure slot. He's got the speed to burn guys on the outside though in a pure 9 situation. At 4.29, you can put him in motion at Z on the outside, and nobody will keep up with him. 

EM is a pure slot too, just not as fast (still very very fast), but less slight in stature and stronger. At 4.35 (not sure I buy that time given some early times) he can burn folks to if needed on the outside in a limited role. 

He squats small trucks in the weight room... It’s just not common in the league for receivers to have the physical ability to be anything on offense for a team that Moore has.  

I think Ballard and his staff and the coaches prefer size whenever possible.  

I just don’t see them drafting a WR who is 5’7” and 180.    The guy whose job he’d be going after (Campbell) is a tick under 6’0” and 205.   Those numbers are vastly different. 

39 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Haha didn't you take him in your mock 

26 minutes ago, ar7 said:

Maybe I'm way off but Rondale Moore seems like he fits more of a Nyheim Hines type of role than an outside receiver.

If the Colts take an undersized receiver early I think it is more likely to be Elijah Moore, not Rondale.

The Moore the merrier 

Chappelles Show Lol GIF

BTW if they take Elijah would have to be in the 1st 

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

In the 3rd episode OF WTNP Chad Henry (Midwest Area Scout) talks about liking a guy who all he hears is super fast and is explosive.

You may end up being right , but I see him going earlier in round 2

35 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

He squats small trucks in the weight room... It’s just not common in the league for receivers to have the physical ability to be anything on offense for a team that Moore has.  

I absolutely love the player. I have followed him for years and I don't follow college ball. His character and work ethic are the selling points for me. Whoever picks him up is getting a great football player!

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I just don’t see them drafting a WR who is 5’7” and 180.    The guy whose job he’d be going after (Campbell) is a tick under 6’0” and 205.   Those numbers are vastly different. 

Was Ballard still with KC when they took T. Hill? 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think so, but I think he was involved in the scouting process. 

My understanding is Hill is 5’10” and 185.  I’ll double check. 

Well I will say this as a Colt fan, I personally witnessed Darren Sproles and while he was incredibly unique; I do think there will be great football players who outplay their measurements. IMO Moore has the potential to do so.

5 minutes ago, life long said:

Well I will say this as a Colt fan, I personally witnessed Darren Sproles and while he was incredibly unique; I do think there will be great football players who outplay their measurements. IMO Moore has the potential to do so.

Perhaps our front office agrees with you....

We will know on Day 2, when we pick at 54, or whenever our selection comes around. 

20 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I have a feeling we won't go end.  I could b wrong but I think they want to see what Lewis, Banagou and Turay can do. The top guys r Paye and Phillps. Paye will b gone and I wouldn't touch Phillips. To many concussions and based on Ballard's history, I doubt he will. He passed on Sweat. I know Farley has some medical concerns but he may slide. I would pick him.

Banogu has shown zero. Rolling the dice and expecting him to be a major contributor would be pure negligence lol. 

It's more likely 

Early Downs (run) Lewis - Buckner - Stewart - AQM or Rochelle

Late Downs (pass) Turay - Lewis - Buckner - AQM or Rochelle

or Maybe

Late Downs Turay - Kline - Buckner - Lewis

Sorry, but that's pretty sorry lol. 

I see Oweh as a better long term, higher ceiling that Paye. 

And Ballard missed out big time on Sweat. 9 Sacks last year and 12 TFLs. 2 FFs, and an INT for a TD too.... Been the picture of health, and started all 32 games the last two years.  But hey, we got Banogu, so no worries right lol.. If Philips clears, which most reports say he's passed with flying colors, ignoring the 42 pressures and near 90 grade is silly.

And you're poo pooing Philips for injury, yet you want Farley? On top of only playing the position for two years, he missed a season due to injury, opted out last year, and just had disc/back surgery. How many flags is that? I like him, but you're logical processes are not very consistent when applied to different guys.

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

How many trucks do you need to squat for a SB win?

:headspin:

52 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Haha didn't you take him in your mock 

Yup, and I said specifically it was a luxury. I also took Tutu Atwell later rounds as an insurance policy on his health.

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think so, but I think he was involved in the scouting process. 

My understanding is Hill is 5’10” and 185.  I’ll double check. 

https://www.bardown.com/tyreek-hill-was-trolled-about-his-height-after-not-making-most-rec-td-in-nfl-history-under-5-9-list-1.1565511

I'm not 100% sold that he is 5'10 BTW. 

19 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Banogu has shown zero. Rolling the dice and expecting him to be a major contributor would be pure negligence lol. 

It's more likely 

Early Downs (run) Lewis - Buckner - Stewart - AQM or Rochelle

Late Downs (pass) Turay - Lewis - Buckner - AQM or Rochelle

or Maybe

Late Downs Turay - Kline - Buckner - Lewis

Sorry, but that's pretty sorry lol. 

I see Oweh as a better long term, higher ceiling that Paye. 

And Ballard missed out big time on Sweat. 9 Sacks last year and 12 TFLs. 2 FFs, and an INT for a TD too.... Been the picture of health, and started all 32 games the last two years.  But hey, we got Banogu, so no worries right lol.. If Philips clears, which most reports say he's passed with flying colors, ignoring the 42 pressures and near 90 grade is silly.

And you're poo pooing Philips for injury, yet you want Farley? On top of only playing the position for two years, he missed a season due to injury, opted out last year, and just had disc/back surgery. How many flags is that? I like him, but you're logical processes are not very consistent when applied to different guys.

I have concerns with Phillips because his r concussion related and that scares me. I know Farley has medical concerns but his upside is top 5 pick much like Simmons was when the Titans drafted him. I agree about Sweat. I thought it was a stupid move when he was sitting there for the Colts to grab. That is Ballard's biggest mistake.

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I have concerns with Phillips because his r concussion related and that scares me. I know Farley has medical concerns but his upside is top 5 pick much like Simmons was when the Titans drafted him. I agree about Sweat. I thought it was a stupid move when he was sitting there for the Colts to grab. That is Ballard's biggest mistake.

Goodness gracious...   Sweat was a top-10  pick and he fell all the way to 26.   Why do you think that is?  A pass rushing defensive end, one of the most prized and valued commodities and you think Ballard PASSED?!?    Seriously?

Sweat had an enlarged heart.  It was widely publicized.  That’s why Ballard and roughly half the teams passed on a top-10 player.  Why else?   Every team wants pass rush. 

And here’s another tidbit for you...  typically, when it comes to serious health ailments like an enlarged heart,  it’s NOT the GM who makes the final decision.  It’s the owner and team doctor.  They’re the ones who will get sued if something goes wrong.    It’s not Ballard’s mistake.   It’s no ones mistake.   Lots of owners made the same decision as Irsay did.  

You’ve never read this story here before?

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Goodness gracious...   Sweat was a top-10  pick and he fell all the way to 26.   Why do you think that is?  A pass rushing defensive end, one of the most prized and valued commodities and you think Ballard PASSED?!?    Seriously?

Sweat had an enlarged heart.  It was widely publicized.  That’s why Ballard and roughly half the teams passed on a top-10 player.  Why else?   Every team wants pass rush. 

And here’s another tidbit for you...  typically, when it comes to serious health ailments like an enlarged heart,  it’s NOT the GM who makes the final decision.  It’s the owner and team doctor.  They’re the ones who will get sued if something goes wrong.    It’s not Ballard’s mistake.   It’s no ones mistake.   Lots of owners made the same decision as Irsay did.  

You’ve never read this story here before?

It was also widely publicized prior to the first round (by Rappaport and several sources) that he was misdiagnosed. 

As far as getting sued, not happening in this situation. A player has to sign off on any known conditions specifically, and are held harmless in general per CBA so long as the team does not misrepresent or hide medical findings.

26 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It was also widely publicized prior to the first round (by Rappaport and several sources) that he was misdiagnosed. 

As far as getting sued, not happening in this situation. A player has to sign off on any known conditions specifically, and are held harmless in general per CBA so long as the team does not misrepresent or hide medical findings.

The report about a misdiagnosis was out out by the people representing Sweat.   I think you can guess how that went over.   At least half of the NFL PASSED on Sweat.  Whatever decision Irsay and Ballard made, so did more than half of the NFL.

What a coincidence... 

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The report about a misdiagnosis was out out by the people representing Sweat.   I think you can guess how that went over.   At least half of the NFL PASSED on Sweat.  Whatever decision Irsay and Ballard made, so did more than half of the NFL.

What a coincidence... 

No need to spin things man. Rappaport said he had two sources. Perhaps one was his reps. We know at least one of them was the Houston Texan's medical staff, which is an unbiased source. Fact is, the combine docs goofed. The problem was the timing of it all. Rappaport's tweet below.

And keep in mind that pre-combine (his good scores and bad med), he was considered by many to be the 4th or 5th best DL. You had Bosa, Simmons, Allen, Oliver, Gary, Tillery, Lawrence, and Williams, who were all considered 1st round DLs, and like every year, some had certain guys higher and certain ones lower. So it's not like everyone passed on him for med reasons. 2 QBs, 2 TEs, and 2 ILBs went in the top 10 too, so not everyone was looking for DL either.

At the end of the day, he was misdiagnosed, and from what we know now, the Colts were looking to trade back anyway. So it really wasn't about the med issues. It was about trading back to pick up picks. And if we look at our first 4 picks that year through the 3rd round, none were great picks if you're looking at productivity and grades. But like I said, hey, we got Banogu, so now worries lol.

14 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

He might, but then it's just as likely someone else picking him at 54

12 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

He was a monster, but it's not uncommon for guys to be what R. Moore likely will at the NFL level.  There's a super fast hybrid guy or three in every draft who put up huge numbers and looks amazing when chased by slower less agile guys on college film than they'll see every game in the league

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He is going late Round 2 to me, just not to us, IMO. He will be used like Randall Cobb, like an RB occasionally, speed reverses and screens, like what Lynn Bowden Jr. of Kentucky (Cobb was from Kentucky too) was promoted to be used as.

All these sound like a Chiefs player to me, who have the 2 second round picks No.58 and No.63, that is where I think he will go. 

14 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I'd much rather have Elijah Moore in the 2nd over Rondale. We can't afford to have another injury prone WR. 

7 hours ago, EastStreet said:

No need to spin things man. Rappaport said he had two sources. Perhaps one was his reps. We know at least one of them was the Houston Texan's medical staff, which is an unbiased source. Fact is, the combine docs goofed. The problem was the timing of it all. Rappaport's tweet below.

And keep in mind that pre-combine (his good scores and bad med), he was considered by many to be the 4th or 5th best DL. You had Bosa, Simmons, Allen, Oliver, Gary, Tillery, Lawrence, and Williams, who were all considered 1st round DLs, and like every year, some had certain guys higher and certain ones lower. So it's not like everyone passed on him for med reasons. 2 QBs, 2 TEs, and 2 ILBs went in the top 10 too, so not everyone was looking for DL either.

At the end of the day, he was misdiagnosed, and from what we know now, the Colts were looking to trade back anyway. So it really wasn't about the med issues. It was about trading back to pick up picks. And if we look at our first 4 picks that year through the 3rd round, none were great picks if you're looking at productivity and grades. But like I said, hey, we got Banogu, so now worries lol.

I think they were looking to trade back and had tunnel vision for Rock after Jacobs was picked and knew they could get him later.

Here are some extended thoughts I have:

I listen to many Colts podcasts. Recently, I heard both Aiyello and Holder (on separate podcasts) say they passed on Sweat because of the medicals. 

Then some * on ColtsWire wrote some article that Colts fans need to shut up about Montez Sweat.

I get why the subject has come up because it’s the draft and because of a guy like Phillips. But its

weird how they are all suddenly

mentioning this...and how they all have said it so matter-of-factly like it was common knowledge.

YET...not a single person wrote about it or mentioned it until now (two years later). The Colts do keep things in-house...but there are no quotes from Ballard or from people within the FO or the coaching staff or even anonymous sources that even reference or allude to Sweat. Just quotes about the trade back. 

Definitely nobody wrote about at the time because I remember looking extensively. They were all too busy patting Ballard on the back for the trade back.

All we know is that some teams took him off their board. That’s normal for teams picking early...but the Colts were picking at #26. And the Colts have been far from risk-averse in their drafting (Hooker, Turay, Blackmon, etc.)

So now two years later, after two years of perfect health and Sweat turning into a PB caliber DE...and Banogu being a below replacement player...you have multiple people pointing out the medicals narrative.

Call me cynical...but it seems fishy...like some type of coordinated spin. Or just spin from one writer being regurgitated by the others.

Moore's excellent and I'd love to get him at 54.  They say he's capable of outside the numbers, not sure to what extent that will be true in the NFL, but if you think he's a slot then he gets lumped in with a lot of really nice slot options that will go off the board in that round 3 to 4 range.  Guys like Eskridge, Rodgers, etc.  Moore's a far better athlete but there's gonna be some real nice slot additions to teams there.

The guy I think Ballard won't pass on at 54 is Friermuth.  I think he's going to take a TE if things line up and both Friermuth and Long are good fits.  Long would probably be round 3 but I do think he's a little underrated.  I really like his game and production.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

And the doctors from all the other teams and the NFL clearly disagreed with that analysis.

The fact that Sweat hasn't had a medical problem in his first two years is proof of nothing.   What a surprise that Sweat has a doctor that says he's fine, when a team of doctors say otherwise.    Either way,  the call wasn't Ballard's, it was the doctor and the owner.    So, thanks for proving my point.    You have one less thing to blame Ballard for.    No worries,  you'll come up with more!

And spin?   Dear God,  the King of Spin accuses others?   Pot calling Kettle.   

The fact is,  you want desperately to believe the above because you think it proves that Ballard is not a good GM, which is your position in post after post after post after post.    

I'd respond in far more graphic detail,  but I don't want to get suspended.   Not on draft day.   

But whether I respond to your posts or not,  odds are strong that we disagree.   And I sleep really well at night knowing that.

5 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I think they were looking to trade back and had tunnel vision for Rock after Jacobs was picked and knew they could get him later.

Here are some extended thoughts I have:

I listen to many Colts podcasts. Recently, I heard both Aiyello and Holder (on separate podcasts) say they passed on Sweat because of the medicals. 

Then some * on ColtsWire wrote some article that Colts fans need to shut up about Montez Sweat.

I get why the subject has come up because it’s the draft and because of a guy like Phillips. But its

weird how they are all suddenly

mentioning this...and how they all have said it so matter-of-factly like it was common knowledge.

YET...not a single person wrote about it or mentioned it until now (two years later). The Colts do keep things in-house...but there are no quotes from Ballard or from people within the FO or the coaching staff or even anonymous sources that even reference or allude to Sweat. Just quotes about the trade back. 

Definitely nobody wrote about at the time because I remember looking extensively. They were all too busy patting Ballard on the back for the trade back.

All we know is that some teams took him off their board. That’s normal for teams picking early...but the Colts were picking at #26. And the Colts have been far from risk-averse in their drafting (Hooker, Turay, Blackmon, etc.)

So now two years later, after two years of perfect health and Sweat turning into a PB caliber DE...and Banogu being a below replacement player...you have multiple people pointing out the medicals narrative.

Call me cynical...but it seems fishy...like some type of coordinated spin. Or just spin from one writer being regurgitated by the others.

I saw a tweet this week from Aiyello or Holder saying the same thing.    That Sweat's medicals are what stopped the Colts.

And when writers like that are making those kind of comments,  you have to notice that they're NOT saying who told them.   No one is going "on the record"...    teams aren't supposed to make comments about a player like that.   But the writers have been told "off the record"   either by Ballard or Dodds, or a coach, or even a staff assistant that they trust that the Colts passed due to health issues.   Right or wrong,  correctly diagnoses or not,  that was the reason.

And not for nothing,  but that night,  some TV station did a one on one with Ballard...   quietly got in his face and asked about Sweat.    Ballard said he couldn't talk about it,  that Sweat was a nice kid, and his voice trailed off as if to say that there's only so much he can say....

Ultimately, the point remains....    with most teams...  (exceptions would be the Patriots with Belicheck or the Raiders with Gruden)  the owner and team doctor make the call,  not the GM.     As much as some want to blame Ballard on this,  what the Colts did is exactly what most teams did.    That's how a top-10 player fell to pick 26.   And how one of the badly run teams in the NFL made a call that most teams were not willing to.    Maybe it works out,  maybe not.   But I don't think there's blame on the Colts for this...

Archived