Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Cosell's top 10 players in the draft

29 minutes ago, stitches said:

OB7Djsu.jpg

I love that he has Darrisaw in his top 10. I thought I was the highest on him from anyone I've seen since I have him over Slater too, but Cosell has him even higher than me. 

I'm a long time Darrisaw fan.   But I can't tell you how many articles I've read in the last two weeks quoting scouts as being underwhelmed by Darrisaw.    Not that he's a bad player, he's not.    But he's not all that he should be.   Scouts seem to think he doesn't finish well at all.   That he only plays hard when he has to.    That he needs his rear end kicked from time to time.

And this wasn't just one story.  

One other thought....    I'm completely unimpressed with having Pitts at 1.    And I have him at 3.    But he's not even close to being a Y.    He barely blocks at all.    Which makes him a move tight end or a WR.    That's great.     But best player in the class?     Over a generational QB like Lawrence?    I think that's a hard, hard sell.    And I love Pitts.     But still....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm a long time Darrisaw fan.   But I can't tell you how many articles I've read in the last two weeks quoting scouts as being underwhelmed by Darrisaw.    Not that he's a bad player, he's not.    But he's not all that he should be.   

Scouts seem to think he doesn't finish well at all.   

Agree. One of the things that ticked me off the first time I was watching him.

That he only plays hard when he has to. 

Yep... but he does when he has to... 

That he needs his rear end kicked from time to time.

I can imagine, because I had the same first reaction... but then I continued watching him just... do his job(and nothing more) snap after snap... and I asked myself - how important is finishing everybody in the dirt to playing the position? When he does his job (i.e. protecting his QB and making holes in the run game... finding defenders to block on the second level) better than pretty much any player in the draft? And I ended up on the answer - not really important at all. This to me is more a cherry on the top kind of thing than a substance thing. IMO he does all the important and essential things for the position extremely well. I can live with him not being a mauler and not having a nasty streak... Hell, maybe playing next to Q could rub off on him a bit and catch some mean attitude from him. One can only dream... unfortunately I don't see him dropping past the Chargers and the Vikings at 13 and 14. 

One other thought....    I'm completely unimpressed with having Pitts at 1.    And I have him at 3.    But he's not even close to being a Y.    He barely blocks at all.    Which makes him a move tight end or a WR.    That's great.     But best player in the class?     Over a generational QB like Lawrence?    I think that's a hard, hard sell.    And I love Pitts.     But still....

I would quote Cosell here - "If you are drafting or avoiding drafting Pitts for his blocking - you are doing it wrong". This is not why he's ranked there. He's ranked there because he is one of the biggest mismatch weapons to come out of the draft in recent memory. No he doesn't block a ton, but when he does he actually shows the desire and effort to do it and I wouldn't say he's bad at it... but also... I don't want him blocking a ton. The more I can send him out running routes and wreaking havoc, the better. 

I think this ranking is more about how Pitts stacks up as a prospect for his own position, rather than taking into account positional value. This is more like... Q being the best player in his draft and pretty much everybody acknowledging that, but him not going no. 1 because of positional value. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Agree. One of the things that ticked me off the first time I was watching him.

Yep... but he does when he has to... 

I can imagine, because I had the same first reaction... but then I continued watching him just... do his job(and nothing more) snap after snap... and I asked myself - how important is finishing everybody in the dirt to playing the position? When he does his job (i.e. protecting his QB and making holes in the run game... finding defenders to block on the second level) better than pretty much any player in the draft? And I ended up on the answer - not really important at all. This to me is more a cherry on the top kind of thing than a substance thing. IMO he does all the important and essential things for the position extremely well. I can live with him not being a mauler and not having a nasty streak... Hell, maybe playing next to Q could rub off on him a bit and catch some mean attitude from him. One can only dream... unfortunately I don't see him dropping past the Chargers and the Vikings at 13 and 14. 

I would quote Cosell here - "If you are drafting or avoiding drafting Pitts for his blocking - you are doing it wrong". This is not why he's ranked there. He's ranked there because he is one of the biggest mismatch weapons to come out of the draft in recent memory. No he doesn't block a ton, but when he does he actually shows the desire and effort to do it and I wouldn't say he's bad at it... but also... I don't want him blocking a ton. The more I can send him out running routes and wreaking havoc, the better. 

I think this ranking is more about how Pitts stacks up as a prospect for his own position, rather than taking into account positional value. This is more like... Q being the best player in his draft and pretty much everybody acknowledging that, but him not going no. 1 because of positional value. 

I get it.   I love Pitts.    Again, I have him at 3.    And Cosell's arguments are why he's being called the best TE, perhaps ever.  Certainly in the select small company of Tony Gonzales and the original Kellen Winslow Jr.    That's incredibly rare company.

Daniel Jeremiah has Pitts at 2.    I think a few other evaluators have him at 2.   Why?    Because of all the reason's Cosell gives.    But by positional importance alone,  that trumps all other Pro-Pitts arguments.    It's not like it's insulting to call him the 2nd or 3rd best player in the draft.    No other tight end has ever been ranked this high.    You don't have to disagree with a single word Cosell says....   I agree with all of them.    Except the part where he ranks him first overall over Lawrence.

I think that's a bridge or two too far.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I get it.   I love Pitts.    Again, I have him at 3.    And Cosell's arguments are why he's being called the best TE, perhaps ever.  Certainly in the select small company of Tony Gonzales and the original Kellen Winslow Jr.    That's incredibly rare company.

Daniel Jeremiah has Pitts at 2.    I think a few other evaluators have him at 2.   Why?    Because of all the reason's Cosell gives.    But by positional importance alone,  that trumps all other Pro-Pitts arguments.    It's not like it's insulting to call him the 2nd or 3rd best player in the draft.    No other tight end has ever been ranked this high.    You don't have to disagree with a single word Cosell says....   I agree with all of them.    Except the part where he ranks him first overall over Lawrence.

I think that's a bridge or two too far.

BTW, Cosell doesn't see Lawrence as a generational type of QB, for whatever it's worth. He thinks he's a very good prospect, but not generational. This might have something to do with it too. 

31 minutes ago, stitches said:

BTW, Cosell doesn't see Lawrence as a generational type of QB, for whatever it's worth. He thinks he's a very good prospect, but not generational. This might have something to do with it too. 

Ok....   thanks for sharing that...

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm a long time Darrisaw fan.   But I can't tell you how many articles I've read in the last two weeks quoting scouts as being underwhelmed by Darrisaw.    Not that he's a bad player, he's not.    But he's not all that he should be.   Scouts seem to think he doesn't finish well at all.   That he only plays hard when he has to.    That he needs his rear end kicked from time to time.

I wonder how much that is scout's blowing smoke about a player so he falls a little further than expected. I would do that if I were a scout lol

24 minutes ago, harrisoncolts88 said:

I wonder how much that is scout's blowing smoke about a player so he falls a little further than expected. I would do that if I were a scout lol

That kind of thing IS done.   But in the stories I’m reading, that type of quote isn’t coming from one scout, it’s coming from multiple scouts.   When many are saying the same thing, that’s a pattern to notice, not dismiss. 

Archived